Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bestå is great. Holds all my poo poo great. To hell with cable management though. That's a problem with future me.

I used a 3" holesaw to drill through the thin backing of each level and routed the cables out the back, which are then bundled them up with velcro ties. It seems to keep the rat's nest effect to a minimum and makes it easy to hook up/unhook stuff if need be. It still gets a bit dusty inside, even with doors, but it looks pretty clean overall - this way houseguests are not confronted with the nerdy truth unless they open the cabinets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Dolphin for Android has been progressing at a really staggering pace lately. Back in March I remember installing it on my Shield TV to find that I could get about 8fps at native resolution on Metroid Prime and a couple of other GC games, and every Wii game that I tried to run wouldn't even start. Fast forward to today where I installed the latest nightly to find that now pretty much everything GC is a solid 60fps and most Wii stuff is 40fps+, and this is playing at 1080p with 16x anisotropic filtering and some AA thrown in as well. It also now supports the Dolphinbar in the Android port, so I've spent the whole day playing Wii games at HD resolutions with a genuine Wiimote (a motion plus Wiimote at that) and all of the motion controls working beautifully. It's seriously only a shade slower than my FX-8350 + 660Ti gaming machine is at Windows Dolphin. If you've got a Shield TV and you're interested at all in Wii and GC emulation it's now finally worth installing. It's incredible.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

kynikos posted:

I used a 3" holesaw to drill through the thin backing of each level and routed the cables out the back, which are then bundled them up with velcro ties. It seems to keep the rat's nest effect to a minimum and makes it easy to hook up/unhook stuff if need be. It still gets a bit dusty inside, even with doors, but it looks pretty clean overall - this way houseguests are not confronted with the nerdy truth unless they open the cabinets.

My Bestå is open for the world to see my shame. No doors and no back. :shepicide:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What do people think of the Ikea Kallax for a retro gaming tv cabinet?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pretty sure I'm using a 2-column, 4-row KALLAX as the furniture holding all my consoles (spurred by suggestions from this very thread, actually), and it works a treat. Only console it doesn't fit is my Genesis M1/Sega CD M2 combo, but I have room elsewhere for that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I really like what this guy has done with the kallax, with the kitchen shelves to fit in more cupboards and the transparent doors:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/12/make-expedit-retro-gaming-cabinet-kallax-gladsax.html

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I really like what this guy has done with the kallax, with the kitchen shelves to fit in more cupboards and the transparent doors:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/12/make-expedit-retro-gaming-cabinet-kallax-gladsax.html

Even old consoles can get hot, all I can say. Forget the closed back of it and using units while they are behind doors.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 24, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This might sound a bit odd to bring up but the UK pound has sunk literally overnight, so subscribing to Retro Gamer magazine for anyone here in the US is much, much cheaper than it was even two days ago. Just figured I would point this out to anyone on the fence about subscribing. You will save a ton of money by subscribing today.

Jadius posted:

Dolphin for Android has been progressing at a really staggering pace lately. Back in March I remember installing it on my Shield TV to find that I could get about 8fps at native resolution on Metroid Prime and a couple of other GC games, and every Wii game that I tried to run wouldn't even start. Fast forward to today where I installed the latest nightly to find that now pretty much everything GC is a solid 60fps and most Wii stuff is 40fps+, and this is playing at 1080p with 16x anisotropic filtering and some AA thrown in as well. It also now supports the Dolphinbar in the Android port, so I've spent the whole day playing Wii games at HD resolutions with a genuine Wiimote (a motion plus Wiimote at that) and all of the motion controls working beautifully. It's seriously only a shade slower than my FX-8350 + 660Ti gaming machine is at Windows Dolphin. If you've got a Shield TV and you're interested at all in Wii and GC emulation it's now finally worth installing. It's incredible.

I do have a Shield TV and this is pretty amusing because it runs bsnes at unplayable speed. But it can do Wii just fine :psyduck:

I will try the Doplhin emulator. Thanks for posting about it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This might sound a bit odd to bring up but the UK pound has sunk literally overnight, so subscribing to Retro Gamer magazine for anyone here in the US is much, much cheaper than it was even two days ago. Just figured I would point this out to anyone on the fence about subscribing. You will save a ton of money by subscribing today.

I do have a Shield TV and this is pretty amusing because it runs bsnes at unplayable speed. But it can do Wii just fine :psyduck:

It's still 110 bucks for a year. Don't know what it was before last night though

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Literally The Worst posted:

It's still 110 bucks for a year. Don't know what it was before last night though

You'd have to pay in pounds to see the savings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

i just got a DStwo Plus and it's dope as gently caress. handles DS games on both the DS and the 3DS and runs GBA games off the cart on both as well, no slot 2 expansion needed.

Where did you buy it? All the modchip/flashcart places look shady as hell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where did you buy it? All the modchip/flashcart places look shady as hell

ModchipsDirect. It was like 44 bucks after shipping and I got it in 4 days. If they had an EZ 3in1 I'd probably get it from them too just because it was such an easy transaction

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

GutBomb posted:

You'd have to pay in pounds to see the savings.

I tried to pay in pounds too and it wound up $114.

EDIT: It's lower, but it's still not cheap.

azurite fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 24, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

I tried to pay in pounds too and it wound up $114.

EDIT: It's lower, but it's still not cheap.

Weird. Was that for a year? If so, that's exactly what I paid back in April. :confused:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It'll probably take some time for the exchange rates to get properly reflected on some shops, I imagine. The sudden drop is rather recent.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Weird. Was that for a year? If so, that's exactly what I paid back in April. :confused:

Yes. That's what I said this morning.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow Hog posted:

It'll probably take some time for the exchange rates to get properly reflected on some shops, I imagine. The sudden drop is rather recent.

That makes sense. I still remember refreshing the Framemeister's page on Solaris Japan daily to order it at exactly the right time :allears:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is it cheaper and easier to just do emulation and get controller to usb adapters if I want full HDMI retro gaming, or is the frameister the absolute best, especially if you already own all the systems

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

Is it cheaper and easier to just do emulation and get controller to usb adapters if I want full HDMI retro gaming, or is the frameister the absolute best, especially if you already own all the systems

I find I like the picture quality and response time with a Framemeister and the real systems the best. I have an NVidia Shield TV and the input lag kills me (even though it is putting out 1080p). There is no input lag (that I can detect) with the Framemeister.

The only fairly huge downside is having to RGB mod an NES and buying scart cables for all your systems.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The NES was before my time, so the main systems that I really care about going back and playing games on are SNES, GC, PS2, N64, and Wii

All of which will probably not be very well emulated for another 5+ years :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tusen Takk posted:

The NES was before my time, so the main systems that I really care about going back and playing games on are SNES, GC, PS2, N64, and Wii

All of which will probably not be very well emulated for another 5+ years :v:

Only the ps2 and N64 from that list aren't very well emulated (and they're both quite acceptable) And a framemeister is pretty pointless for the ps2 and wii: just hook them up with cheap component cables, they don't really have issues on hdtvs.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Instead of spending a lot of money on a device that's going to make your games look like they're being played on an emulator, just use an emulator

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
So I'm still coming down from the surge of adrenaline, but I was literally shaking when I picked up these games today.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kramdar posted:

So I'm still coming down from the surge of adrenaline, but I was literally shaking when I picked up these games today.

What a coincidence, after seeing that picture now I am too.

I don't think it's adrenaline, tho

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Holy gently caress at one of those.

I felt similarly finding Shantae for 3 bucks at Gamestop.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Like it occurs to me now that I've never actually seen a turbografx box.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Congrats. I had the same feeling when I found someone's Saturn collection at a thrift store for a buck a piece, and it was all high end stuff, like Guardian Heroes.

I also got Snatcher for like 25 cents at a Flea Market 12 years ago and felt awesome when I flipped it for $75.

Now I feel dumb.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Miles McCloud posted:

Congrats. I had the same feeling when I found someone's Saturn collection at a thrift store for a buck a piece, and it was all high end stuff, like Guardian Heroes.

I also got Snatcher for like 25 cents at a Flea Market 12 years ago and felt awesome when I flipped it for $75.

Now I feel dumb.

Hey, I got a copy of Zombie Nation for $3 that I flipped for $23, and I was happy. That was 2009 max price. This drat bubble.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

An emulator like bsnes is all about accuracy so naturally it's going to require more raw computing power than a plugin based emulator like Dolphin that aims to look pretty through hacks and workarounds. What I find funny is that yesterday I was also playing around with Cemu, which is a Wii U emulator that's just recently capable of running some games pretty well, and here I was playing through Super Mario 3D World, and it's being emulated quite well on a computer that I built four months before the US release of the Wii U. Shows just how underpowered the Wii U was from the very beginning. It's made even worse when you consider that my computer is an AMD FX chip, so it's not like my computer was top of the line back then even.

Make sure you get one of the development nightlies of Dolphin rather than one of the releases from the Play store or whatever. Actually before you do that if you haven't used Dolphin on Android yet you will need to install an older version of it to configure inputs, as apparently that functionality is broken on the most recent development releases. What I did was through ADB I installed dolphin-master-4.0-8711.apk (I had this apk on hand from when I had played around with Dolphin before and I knew input config worked on it), configured my inputs (I only did this for GC controller functionality since I was using the Dolphinbar and a real Wiimote for Wii games), then I updated Dolphin to dolphin-master-4.0-9502.apk through ADB, then went into Dolphin and configured the Wii input side of things. This sounds much more complicated than it was.

By the way, I know you're a stickler for input lag, but from my estimation using the Dolphinbar and a genuine Wiimote didn't seem to have any more input lag than would be there on a genuine Wii. I assume there is more, simply because it's emulation we're talking about here, and it's also a Bluetooth device, but it's entirely possible that the Dolphinbar is better at input lag than the stock Android Bluetooth stack. I tried but I couldn't get the Wii release of 240p test suite working on Android Dolphin so I couldn't get some actual figures for input lag there. My primary controller for the Shield is an NES30 and I'd be curious to know if pairing it in Wiimote mode with the Dolphinbar will be better at lag than working through regular old Android bluetooth.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah I mean, the Wii U was basically 7 year old technology on the day was released, being essentially the Xbox 360 design with some more RAM and a slightly newer GPU. And on top of that the specific powerpc design used was a very minor iteration of the WII's own which made it even easier to emulate (and even worse for playing games...).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I guess now is a good time to get into Spectrum collecting for those of us not in the UK.

This is assuming, of course, that the people in the UK will still be able to send packages.

Kramdar posted:

Play Landstalker. It's the best game no one ever talks about.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jadius posted:

An emulator like bsnes is all about accuracy so naturally it's going to require more raw computing power than a plugin based emulator like Dolphin that aims to look pretty through hacks and workarounds. What I find funny is that yesterday I was also playing around with Cemu, which is a Wii U emulator that's just recently capable of running some games pretty well, and here I was playing through Super Mario 3D World, and it's being emulated quite well on a computer that I built four months before the US release of the Wii U. Shows just how underpowered the Wii U was from the very beginning. It's made even worse when you consider that my computer is an AMD FX chip, so it's not like my computer was top of the line back then even.

Make sure you get one of the development nightlies of Dolphin rather than one of the releases from the Play store or whatever. Actually before you do that if you haven't used Dolphin on Android yet you will need to install an older version of it to configure inputs, as apparently that functionality is broken on the most recent development releases. What I did was through ADB I installed dolphin-master-4.0-8711.apk (I had this apk on hand from when I had played around with Dolphin before and I knew input config worked on it), configured my inputs (I only did this for GC controller functionality since I was using the Dolphinbar and a real Wiimote for Wii games), then I updated Dolphin to dolphin-master-4.0-9502.apk through ADB, then went into Dolphin and configured the Wii input side of things. This sounds much more complicated than it was.

By the way, I know you're a stickler for input lag, but from my estimation using the Dolphinbar and a genuine Wiimote didn't seem to have any more input lag than would be there on a genuine Wii. I assume there is more, simply because it's emulation we're talking about here, and it's also a Bluetooth device, but it's entirely possible that the Dolphinbar is better at input lag than the stock Android Bluetooth stack. I tried but I couldn't get the Wii release of 240p test suite working on Android Dolphin so I couldn't get some actual figures for input lag there. My primary controller for the Shield is an NES30 and I'd be curious to know if pairing it in Wiimote mode with the Dolphinbar will be better at lag than working through regular old Android bluetooth.

Thank you so much for all this info. One thing I want to say though is that I'm not being my usual anal self in regards to the input lag. Super Mario World literally plays like if I am drunk. However if I play it on the Shield Portable on HDMI using its built in controller, there's zero lag. So it is not the TV and it is not the emulator. I think it has to be the way Android handles wireless or inputs something. I don't nearly notice it as much with NES games though, but maybe that is because SMW requires a bit more precision than most NES games.

I really wish I could get to the bottom of it. My SFC30 and Nvidia Shield wifi controller are collecting dust.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

So I guess now is a good time to get into Spectrum collecting for those of us not in the UK.

This is assuming, of course, that the people in the UK will still be able to send packages.

Play Landstalker. It's the best game no one ever talks about.

Alternatively PAL cubes since they have scart output

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I just bought A Link to the Past on SNES from a reputable retrogaming store here in Austin, and I noticed that it doesn't have the Nintendo logo upon boot. Anyone know why this may not be occuring?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kramdar posted:

Prices man! Come on! That's a sick haul.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kramdar posted:

Find the thing that doesn't belong in a box of great games My condolences on Inindo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

JOHN CENA posted:

I just bought A Link to the Past on SNES from a reputable retrogaming store here in Austin, and I noticed that it doesn't have the Nintendo logo upon boot. Anyone know why this may not be occuring?

My TV takes so long to sync with the SNES that I almost never see the logo on LTTP or SMW.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Go put in Neutopia II now and tell me how to get through this annoying dual I've castle, tia.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JOHN CENA posted:

Does the Nintendo logo show on a hard reset? You might want to try before you start sweating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

al-azad posted:

Does the Nintendo logo show on a hard reset? You might want to try before you start sweating.

I tested this, it happened only a few times. This is probably being caused by my TV, which only has component inputs, but sticking the yellow in the green component works just fine. there seems to be minor input lag with some of my games but not all of them.

• Locked thread