Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kramdar posted:

So I'm still coming down from the surge of adrenaline, but I was literally shaking when I picked up these games today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
So after messing around with the Wii getting 240p output to a Sony WEGA, I've come up with the mission to get a fully powered PC to try and do the same. You'd think with this retro-renaissance there would be some company somewhere that would make it easy to do this. Somebody please correct me, but is the best way to do this:

ArcadeVGA (or other compatible video card that can do 15KHZ)
Connected to some sort of VGA-to-SCART cable
Connected to a SCART-to-Component converter
Component-to-TV

I don't know why, but having to order some random rear end SCART cable from overseas just seems like I'm likely to end up with something that won't work. Some company from Spain has a cable that inexplicably has a molex connector on it. I just don't see how this doesn't have an easy solution already documented and replicable without ripping cords apart and heating up a soldering iron.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Kuros posted:

Prices man! Come on! That's a sick haul.

I have to spoiler it for the faint of heart.

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kramdar posted:

Call me Smuckers 'cause I'm jelly.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Social Dissonance posted:

So after messing around with the Wii getting 240p output to a Sony WEGA, I've come up with the mission to get a fully powered PC to try and do the same. You'd think with this retro-renaissance there would be some company somewhere that would make it easy to do this. Somebody please correct me, but is the best way to do this:

Component-to-TV

I don't know why, but having to order some random rear end SCART cable from overseas just seems like I'm likely to end up with something that won't work. Some company from Spain has a cable that inexplicably has a molex connector on it. I just don't see how this doesn't have an easy solution already documented and replicable without ripping cords apart and heating up a soldering iron.

There's scart to VGA cables for projectors. But I use a scart to rgb cable then an rgb to vga because it was WAY cheaper.

Edit: is this the cable you're looking for?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQFZRR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zgDBxb69YY4SZ

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 25, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I really like what this guy has done with the kallax, with the kitchen shelves to fit in more cupboards and the transparent doors:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/12/make-expedit-retro-gaming-cabinet-kallax-gladsax.html

I have a few of the kallax's for organizing my daughter's toys and whatnot. Having some type of divider to be able to stack 2 systems per cube would be good or maybe have the system on top of a small drawer for its controllers, a lot of wasted space otherwise. Though honestly, they are a bit tall for my preferences since the TV would be up too high. I prefer to have my eye line at the middle of the screen or higher.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kramdar posted:

??? The empty boxes are worth more than that alone. Even if your 4 "10bux" was supposed to be added together... Did the person you purchased them from never hear of eBay?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Btw: on vacation. The Exchange in Sandusky, Ohio is is a really awesome store.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

FireMrshlBill posted:

??? The empty boxes are worth more than that alone. Even if your 4 "10bux" was supposed to be added together... Did the person you purchased them from never hear of eBay?

Estate sale. They worry more about getting a good price for the furniture and jewelry. Who cares about all the games mixed up with a bunch of VHS tapes and a couple DVDs in the man room of the house. It is also one of the first times I've seen video games at an estate sale since 1999 when I got an Intellivision for $3.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kramdar posted:

drat, that's at least $500 worth of games. Amazing haul!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kramdar posted:

gently caress YOU!

Er... I mean... that was a good deal.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kramdar posted:

Estate sale. They worry more about getting a good price for the furniture and jewelry. Who cares about all the games mixed up with a bunch of VHS tapes and a couple DVDs in the man room of the house. It is also one of the first times I've seen video games at an estate sale since 1999 when I got an Intellivision for $3.

Ah, I've never really considered going to those for video games. Figure most of them were for older people who passed, and the chances of them having video games, other than what they kept for the grandchildren to play when visiting (who probably eventually kept them anyway), is slim.

Great find!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Component-to-TV

There's probably no "easy" solution for this, because North American TVs didn't have any sort of RGB input until component/YPbPr inputs became available (which are "RGB", but just one particular form of it), and once the Wintel PC became the dominant market standard, most PC displays standardized on a 30+ kHz monitor sync rate that isn't compatible with the 15.7 kHz rate used by the majority of analog TVs; basically, PC monitors and TVs diverged from each other. And then there are issues about resolution and video modes and ugh, it's a lot of complexity to cope with for something that is most people would consider to be pretty esoteric and of niche interest.

In your chain, I think a major hiccup would still be at the PC end of things. You know how I mentioned that component video is one form of RGB? The PC VGA is another one, and the main difference is sync types. If you know all this, apologies in advance:

code:
Component video (IIRC) is red and blue video signals, with the "green" channel actually carrying sync and luma information. The green in the image is derived from the difference between the blue, red, and luma signals.

"RGB", as it applies to retrogaming purposes in this thread for PVMs and the like, is separate red/green/blue video signals, with a separate sync signal. "RGB + sync", basically.

And now for VGA. Separate red/green/blue video signals, but also separate, individual horizontal and vertical sync signals, too. "RGB + hor. sync + ver. sync", or RGBHV, basically.
According to the ArcadeVGA FAQ, the card might do the proper horizontal refresh rate that an analog TV expects, but it still outputs standard VGA RGBHV - see "What about Composite sync?" in the link. Most SCART RGB-to-component transcoders, so far as I know, are designed for the second RGBS mode above. So you'd have to convert that RGBHV to RGBS first, then run it through the transcoder.

Note that this might be the case for any PC display card with a VGA output; even if the refresh rate is compatible, the sync type probably isn't.

A brief look at VGA-to-component transcoders suggests they're not really designed for standard-definition TVs, which I assume your WEGA is. It might be worth looking into more, though, if my hunch is right and you would have to modify the sync type from the PC into one signal; maybe somebody has one designed for this purpose. Anyhow, I hope this provides some more info to consider, even if it seems like I'm tossing a spanner into the works.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ah, I've never really considered going to those for video games. Figure most of them were for older people who passed, and the chances of them having video games, other than what they kept for the grandchildren to play when visiting (who probably eventually kept them anyway), is slim.

Great find!

With older video game consoles especially - Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision and their same era compatriots - video game consoles, being quite expensive, were bought by a lot of rich people and some people who just wanted to appear being rich would buy them, just to keep up appearances. This continued into things like the massively expensive Neo-Geo and 3DO and CD-i but was mostly gone by the late 90s.

So you'll see quite a lot at estate sales, because often someone with enough stuff left to need an estate sale after their death was in that sort of habit. And more often than not its some early era console that probably hasn't been turned on since 1986.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
That's basically how I acquired my cd-i. It was sandwiched between 2 virtually brand new vcrs.

VVV I still see a few here and there but yeah 95% of what i see is PS2 and wii games with some ds lites thrown about.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 25, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I used up all my luck on spending $14 on a haul of two copies of Shantae and Super Metroid back in 2005.

I haven't seen reasonably priced SNES games at a yard sale in a decade or so.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Was going to post more about my latest haul but it doesn't beat Kramdar's. It was getting Splatterhouse 3 in its case in a lot of genesis consoles and games for free. He's drat lucky on the estate sale though, all the dealers running the sales here are smart enough to know what the common Nintendos, Gameboys, and Ataris look like and price/feature them accordingly. I probably overpaid when I bought a DMG Gameboy and 10 games for $40 at an estate sale once, but at least I got the best version of Elevator Action out of it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I will be the weirdo and be jealous of Cosmic Fantasy 2, interesting game. I wish more of that series would get translated.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dunno if its a good haul for the price but i did just pick up super metroid, secret of mana, mario all stars, yoshis island, and super ghouls and ghosts for $100. SG&G came in a beat up box that was yellowed as heck, but i think thats pretty decent

e: the super metroid and mario all stars are players choice versions though

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 25, 2016

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
At $20 per that isn't terrible at all. It wouldn't have been that great 10 years ago but here we are.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

At $20 per that isn't terrible at all. It wouldn't have been that great 10 years ago but here we are.

yeah i remember selling my genesis collection back in like 03 and thinking $75 was a great deal for it. i lost out on shining force, phantasy star 2, sonics 1,2,3 and knuckles, ristar, toejam and earl, herzog zwei...building my old collection back up is definitely not cheap, but it's still cheaper than most newer games, and it feels more rewarding somehow. i almost wanna get a good CRT tv for the living room for these consoles but i dunno if that's really a good direction or a necessary one to go in.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fishmech posted:

Only the ps2 and N64 from that list aren't very well emulated (and they're both quite acceptable) And a framemeister is pretty pointless for the ps2 and wii: just hook them up with cheap component cables, they don't really have issues on hdtvs.

Nice! Okay cool I'll keep that in mind :3:

I would definitely like to avoid spending $texas on a fm, and I do have a GBPlayer for my GC that I use quite a bit, and most of those titles are SNES games that got rereleased on GBA

Now that I think about it I don't even own a SNES yet lol :v:

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

RodShaft posted:

There's scart to VGA cables for projectors. But I use a scart to rgb cable then an rgb to vga because it was WAY cheaper.

Edit: is this the cable you're looking for?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQFZRR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zgDBxb69YY4SZ

That's the problem, I think that's the right cable, but I haven't encountered anyone that was able to say definitively that it's correct. The thing I keep reading of has people saying that the cable is also sometimes unidirectional from scart to vga...is that a thing?

Kthulhu5000 posted:

In your chain, I think a major hiccup would still be at the PC end of things. You know how I mentioned that component video is one form of RGB? The PC VGA is another one, and the main difference is sync types. If you know all this, apologies in advance:

code:

Component video (IIRC) is red and blue video signals, with the "green" channel actually carrying sync and luma information. The green in the image is derived from the difference between the blue, red, and luma signals.

"RGB", as it applies to retrogaming purposes in this thread for PVMs and the like, is separate red/green/blue video signals, with a separate sync signal. "RGB + sync", basically.

And now for VGA. Separate red/green/blue video signals, but also separate, individual horizontal and vertical sync signals, too. "RGB + hor. sync + ver. sync", or RGBHV, basically.

According to the ArcadeVGA FAQ, the card might do the proper horizontal refresh rate that an analog TV expects, but it still outputs standard VGA RGBHV - see "What about Composite sync?" in the link. Most SCART RGB-to-component transcoders, so far as I know, are designed for the second RGBS mode above. So you'd have to convert that RGBHV to RGBS first, then run it through the transcoder.

Note that this might be the case for any PC display card with a VGA output; even if the refresh rate is compatible, the sync type probably isn't.

A brief look at VGA-to-component transcoders suggests they're not really designed for standard-definition TVs, which I assume your WEGA is. It might be worth looking into more, though, if my hunch is right and you would have to modify the sync type from the PC into one signal; maybe somebody has one designed for this purpose. Anyhow, I hope this provides some more info to consider, even if it seems like I'm tossing a spanner into the works.

That is a lot of excellent advice. I've read up a bunch on the transcoders as well, and a lot of times people are going through the effort to solder on extra resistors and doodads to VGA cables, usually in reference to combining sync like you mentioned. It was never really broken down as clearly as you did though!

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you so much for all this info. One thing I want to say though is that I'm not being my usual anal self in regards to the input lag. Super Mario World literally plays like if I am drunk. However if I play it on the Shield Portable on HDMI using its built in controller, there's zero lag. So it is not the TV and it is not the emulator. I think it has to be the way Android handles wireless or inputs something. I don't nearly notice it as much with NES games though, but maybe that is because SMW requires a bit more precision than most NES games.

I really wish I could get to the bottom of it. My SFC30 and Nvidia Shield wifi controller are collecting dust.

The Shield portable does Bluetooth as well so I wonder have you tested how your SFC30 works with it vs the Shield TV? Also, have you considered using the SFC30 wired? If you don't have it paired with anything and run a USB micro cable to it it will work as a wired controller, which should mean no lag or at least the minimal lag that you're getting by nature of it being a USB device. If it's worse with SNES emulation than it is NES then it's definitely a problem with the emulator. You say that SMW requires more precision than NES games, but have you ever played this fantastic romhack? It's no Kaizo Mario World but it's definitely more precise than say Mario 2. Also as you said the Shield controller is wifi. If Android's bluetooth stack is inherently laggy that controller connecting through wifi should bypass it entirely.

I did some testing last night with this and found some interesting results. I did the manual lag test from the 240p test suite through SNES9x using my Shield + NES30 (wireless only) versus the Shield + Shield controller (both wired and wireless) on my 42" LG 42LM6200 3D 1080p LED LCD HDTV and my 27" Asus VE276Q 1080p LED LCD monitor with a 2ms response time. This isn't the most scientific testing possible, primarily because I only did the test four times for each scenario and I really should have done it 10 times to have a certain degree of accuracy, but this at least gives me something of an idea of what we're looking at here.

For the NES30 I managed to pull in some fairly respectable scores that were very livable with an average of 67.95ms or 4.08 frame delay on the TV and 28.25ms or 1.7 frame delay on the monitor. Obviously this says that my TV is not very good at lag in general, but this is hardly news to me. It's worth noting that my TV lacks a "game mode" but I have already gone in and turned off every bit of image processing that the TV allows me to turn off.

The Shield controller in wifi wireless mode was the first of several surprises from this. On the TV I managed 62.54ms/3.75 frames and on the monitor it clocked in at 35.02ms/2.10 frames.

Shield controller in wired mode honestly shoked me the most. With that it came in as 66.70/4.0 frames on the TV and 51.69ms/3.10 frames with the monitor. Yup, you read that right. It actually appears to exhibit less lag as a wireless controller than it does a wired controller. I have no good explanation for this, though I will admit that I had the MicroUSB cable going from controller to USB hub instead of directly into the system. I have no idea if this could cause that to happen or not.

What this testing shows me more than anything else is that for a cheapo Chinese controller sold on Aliexpress the NES30 really seems to be punching above its weight class here. I also feel like either Android's Bluetooth implementation isn't nearly as bad as some people claim it is or Nvidia really did a piss poor job on the Shield controller. The results from this have been interesting enough to where I think I'm going to rerun the test again with a full 10 passes for each controller + display scenario and next time I'm also going to include a wireless 360 controller,a Wiimote, a wired OG Xbox Duke controller, a wireless Dualshock 3 and a SNES controller going through a SNES to USB converter. I want to get to the bottom of this.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

With older video game consoles especially - Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision and their same era compatriots - video game consoles, being quite expensive, were bought by a lot of rich people and some people who just wanted to appear being rich would buy them, just to keep up appearances. This continued into things like the massively expensive Neo-Geo and 3DO and CD-i but was mostly gone by the late 90s.

So you'll see quite a lot at estate sales, because often someone with enough stuff left to need an estate sale after their death was in that sort of habit. And more often than not its some early era console that probably hasn't been turned on since 1986.

My first gf in high school's parents were lottery winners and the father would continuously drop insane amounts of money on whatever the latest flashy electronic stuff was and many times never even take it out of the package. I had never thought about estate sales and now I kinda want to start going to them. Where are they usually advertised?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

d0s posted:

My first gf in high school's parents were lottery winners and the father would continuously drop insane amounts of money on whatever the latest flashy electronic stuff was and many times never even take it out of the package. I had never thought about estate sales and now I kinda want to start going to them. Where are they usually advertised?

Newspapers, Craigslist, street corners

I wanna start hitting them up too :3:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I use this website. I furnished the entirety of my new house for a couple hundred bucks by cleaning out someone else's house.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The last estate sale I went to didn't have any video games, but it did have a board game from TSR in bizarre clamshell packaging like it was a piece of Apple IIe software and a hardcover set of Carl Sandburg's biography of Abraham Lincoln, both of which I bought.

Good poo poo to be found, yes.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
So a small update. I think this product here is the best case/most easily available product to go from vga to component:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Authority-Component-Transcoder-Audio/dp/B00ASVXAFI

Apparently it just changes the color space with no scaling so there should be no added input lag. I'm ordering an ArcadeVGA as well just to make life a little easier. I know there are some other cards that can be modified with CRT_emudriver or Linux, but I'm trying to have the system based off of Windows 7 with BigBox mode from Launchbox. I figure seeing as I'm not planning on emulating anything fancier than PSX I shouldn't need any sort of super powered GPU as well.

Another alternative that I would like to hear of is if anyone has played around with trying to convert HDMI to Component. I know HDFury has made a number of HDMI to Component devices, but I don't know what can be done to get them to force a 240p signal out.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

So a small update. I think this product here is the best case/most easily available product to go from vga to component:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Authority-Component-Transcoder-Audio/dp/B00ASVXAFI

Apparently it just changes the color space with no scaling so there should be no added input lag. I'm ordering an ArcadeVGA as well just to make life a little easier. I know there are some other cards that can be modified with CRT_emudriver or Linux, but I'm trying to have the system based off of Windows 7 with BigBox mode from Launchbox. I figure seeing as I'm not planning on emulating anything fancier than PSX I shouldn't need any sort of super powered GPU as well.

Another alternative that I would like to hear of is if anyone has played around with trying to convert HDMI to Component. I know HDFury has made a number of HDMI to Component devices, but I don't know what can be done to get them to force a 240p signal out.

You might want to read the manual at the manufacturer's site to make sure it'll fit into your goals:

https://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/9A60A

Also, this thread might be of interest or use:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1360576-vga-component-transcoder-low-resolutions.html

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Yep, that's actually the thread I read that pointed me to it in the first place. Of the three options listed, it's the only one still regularly commercially available.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Reminder that Psycho Dream is a beautiful and psychedelic game with a mindblowing soundtrack. I'm re-playing it and just felt the need to tell people about it because god drat why don't more people talk about this game. It's best played with a turbo controller & a bong

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of game music nobody talks about, there's Sword Maniac which was composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Hayato Matsuo. The American version is something completely different.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

d0s posted:

Reminder that Psycho Dream is a beautiful and psychedelic game with a mindblowing soundtrack. I'm re-playing it and just felt the need to tell people about it because god drat why don't more people talk about this game. It's best played with a turbo controller & a bong

I think I saw a few copies around the $20 mark when I first saw Obscure Video Games post gifs from it but then suddenly they were all like 50.

It does have a great title, too. What's the best Super Famicom game title? I'm also fond of Bastard!!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

I think I saw a few copies around the $20 mark when I first saw Obscure Video Games post gifs from it but then suddenly they were all like 50.

Holy poo poo I just checked the prices that is amazing, I got mine cart only less than a year ago from ebay for way less than $20. I just looked up Obscure Video Games and it's a tumblr, do they really have that much influence or did somebody else feature it? I found out about it by just looking up stuff related to Valis, guess I did that at the right time

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

d0s posted:

Holy poo poo I just checked the prices that is amazing, I got mine cart only less than a year ago from ebay for way less than $20. I just looked up Obscure Video Games and it's a tumblr, do they really have that much influence or did somebody else feature it? I found out about it by just looking up stuff related to Valis, guess I did that at the right time

I have no idea, there are a handful of games that seemed to have crept up, but that one definitely shot up there. I'm trying to scoop up Sanrio World Smash Ball and the Godzilla fighting game before they go nuts. Oops I just loving jinxed it.

You know what else is annoyingly hard to find for a good price? 16 copies of Faceball 2000 on Game Boy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Got 40 games for 42 bucks today! Standouts? Bram Stoker's Drakula, boxed (but poor condition) Air Fortress, boxed NARC and the rare but poo poo RapJam Volume 1. Yeah, slim pickings but hey, fills out the collection. Who could have ever guessed that the SNES had so many sports games.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
So remember the Gamejoy AD Adapter/Retrobit Super Retro Advance adapter, that cheap Chinese cart adapter that looks like a JP Super Gameboy 1 but allows you to play GBA games (but no GB/C) on a SFC or SNES and ultimately turned out to be not that bad of a product?

Well, browsing Aliexpress tonight I came across what's supposedly the newest revision of it, and I guess now it doesn't just do GBA games but it actually seems to do loving everything. $45 gets you the adapter itself and also seems to come with a microSD flash cart of some variety, as well as having working emulators for Gameboy/Color, NES, PC Engine, SMS, Game Gear, SG 1000, as well as an MP3 player for the whole one person on planet earth that will end up buying this thing and using it as an MP3 player. Can I get a holy poo poo? Is anyone else aware of this/have any information on it and the lofty promises that it's making despite being a piece of probable aliexpress gray market bullshit? Because I have no idea how well this thing works and it's entirely possible that it's a horrible solution for playing any of those systems, but for $45 I'm definitely going to have to take a chance on this thing. I was going to buy one of the older revisions just to play the GBA Metroids and Castlevanias anyhow, so if this works as a tolerable SD solution for either of the Gameboy systems it claims to support then the thing will absolutely be worth it to me. Hell it even seems to do the GBA aspect ration of 3:2, something that the older model apparently squashed into 4:3.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jadius posted:

So remember the Gamejoy AD Adapter/Retrobit Super Retro Advance adapter, that cheap Chinese cart adapter that looks like a JP Super Gameboy 1 but allows you to play GBA games (but no GB/C) on a SFC or SNES and ultimately turned out to be not that bad of a product?

Well, browsing Aliexpress tonight I came across what's supposedly the newest revision of it, and I guess now it doesn't just do GBA games but it actually seems to do loving everything. $45 gets you the adapter itself and also seems to come with a microSD flash cart of some variety, as well as having working emulators for Gameboy/Color, NES, PC Engine, SMS, Game Gear, SG 1000, as well as an MP3 player for the whole one person on planet earth that will end up buying this thing and using it as an MP3 player. Can I get a holy poo poo? Is anyone else aware of this/have any information on it and the lofty promises that it's making despite being a piece of probable aliexpress gray market bullshit? Because I have no idea how well this thing works and it's entirely possible that it's a horrible solution for playing any of those systems, but for $45 I'm definitely going to have to take a chance on this thing. I was going to buy one of the older revisions just to play the GBA Metroids and Castlevanias anyhow, so if this works as a tolerable SD solution for either of the Gameboy systems it claims to support then the thing will absolutely be worth it to me. Hell it even seems to do the GBA aspect ration of 3:2, something that the older model apparently squashed into 4:3.

Isn't it just something running an emulator and using the SNES for power? I am not sure what's so exciting about this

e: and the output is composite only, spend the $45 on whatever the newest raspberry pi is and you have the same thing with a lot more utility

d0s fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's just one of those bad chinese GBA-SP clones built into a SNES cart to try and latch onto the Retrobit train. Don't expect it to work well for anything listed, not to mention the issues that the Retrobit adapters already have.

Expect nothing better than this but on a TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rF6m2BRiVY

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 26, 2016

• Locked thread