Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So, if I've already clipped the security chip, I should just get a replacement 72 pin connector, or should I shell out for the Blinking Light Win? I'm tired of boiling connectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Blinking Light Win has been amazing for me so far. Literally every game works now the first try and I can't imagine going back to the 72 at this point. Only worry was how long it would take to ship but it actually only took a few weeks.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Nate RFB posted:

Blinking Light Win has been amazing for me so far. Literally every game works now the first try and I can't imagine going back to the 72 at this point. Only worry was how long it would take to ship but it actually only took a few weeks.

This. I have one of the first run ones where the connection's a little too snug for comfort, but it's still amazing. I hear they've fixed that on the newer ones though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Speaking of game music nobody talks about, there's Sword Maniac which was composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Hayato Matsuo. The American version is something completely different.

What the hell? Sword Maniac sounds way cooler at least in name.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

What the hell? Sword Maniac sounds way cooler at least in name.

Oh boy, welcome to SNES era Activision. Here's the Japanese intro theme and here's the localized version which is recycled for the second level. Nothing sounds greater than a digitized approximation of real music on SNES hardware, lemme tell you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RodShaft posted:

So, if I've already clipped the security chip, I should just get a replacement 72 pin connector, or should I shell out for the Blinking Light Win? I'm tired of boiling connectors.

Boil the 10NES chip

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

RodShaft posted:

You could also try bending the pins back with a safety pin/dental pick (bend the top pins first since they are further back, its hard to reach them once the bottom pins are bent up). If you plan to spend money on it though, I'd recommend the Blinking Light Win as it gives you a reliable top loader cartridge connector in a front loader.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Oh boy, welcome to SNES era Activision. Here's the Japanese intro theme and here's the localized version which is recycled for the second level. Nothing sounds greater than a digitized approximation of real music on SNES hardware, lemme tell you.

Lol, I played both Xcalibur and Biometal and I remember them making a big deal about the licensed music on the boxes.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Monitor Burn posted:

You could also try bending the pins back with a safety pin/dental pick (bend the top pins first since they are further back, its hard to reach them once the bottom pins are bent up). If you plan to spend money on it though, I'd recommend the Blinking Light Win as it gives you a reliable top loader cartridge connector in a front loader.

I took this advice a few years ago and it was a great move. I boiled/cleaned it up, then used a safety pin and meticulously bent them back so carts fit snug again. Common sense makes you think they'd bend back really easily, but in reality those things tend to stay where you bend them for a very long time in my experience.

Even though I've had this game for over a year I played it for the first time today: Rise 2 Resurrection for Playstation (sequel to Rise of Robots) It's exactly as great/bad as you think it'd be, 0 regrets.

(not my pic, mine is my only longbox playstation game)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bend the pins back errday.

Then also don't push the cart down, those two things are basically a permanent no cost fix

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Tyson Tomko posted:

I took this advice a few years ago and it was a great move. I boiled/cleaned it up, then used a safety pin and meticulously bent them back so carts fit snug again. Common sense makes you think they'd bend back really easily, but in reality those things tend to stay where you bend them for a very long time in my experience.

Even though I've had this game for over a year I played it for the first time today: Rise 2 Resurrection for Playstation (sequel to Rise of Robots) It's exactly as great/bad as you think it'd be, 0 regrets.

(not my pic, mine is my only longbox playstation game)

I played this too. Didn't Brian May only do like one song or something like that? The character I used was Steppenwolf because it had sick forearm mounted guns :hellyeah: There were a LOT more characters in this compared to the first one but you can't fix busted gameplay with a bigger character roster.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

al-azad posted:

Thank God at least one publisher obliged my request for more Jock Jams in shooters.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I bent the pins when I first boiled them years ago. They've started acting buggy again so I'm ready to just get a prebuilt solution. I have a few NESes so I may get one Blinking Light Win for me, and a replacement connecter for my guest room nes. Then decide after using both which to do the others with.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jadius posted:

So remember the Gamejoy AD Adapter/Retrobit Super Retro Advance adapter, that cheap Chinese cart adapter that looks like a JP Super Gameboy 1 but allows you to play GBA games (but no GB/C) on a SFC or SNES and ultimately turned out to be not that bad of a product?

Well, browsing Aliexpress tonight I came across what's supposedly the newest revision of it, and I guess now it doesn't just do GBA games but it actually seems to do loving everything. $45 gets you the adapter itself and also seems to come with a microSD flash cart of some variety, as well as having working emulators for Gameboy/Color, NES, PC Engine, SMS, Game Gear, SG 1000, as well as an MP3 player for the whole one person on planet earth that will end up buying this thing and using it as an MP3 player. Can I get a holy poo poo? Is anyone else aware of this/have any information on it and the lofty promises that it's making despite being a piece of probable aliexpress gray market bullshit? Because I have no idea how well this thing works and it's entirely possible that it's a horrible solution for playing any of those systems, but for $45 I'm definitely going to have to take a chance on this thing. I was going to buy one of the older revisions just to play the GBA Metroids and Castlevanias anyhow, so if this works as a tolerable SD solution for either of the Gameboy systems it claims to support then the thing will absolutely be worth it to me. Hell it even seems to do the GBA aspect ration of 3:2, something that the older model apparently squashed into 4:3.

Heh, the most retro post, somehow. Excitement for lofty claims at a low price, likely followed by extreme disappointment. I concur with d0s to just get a Raspberry Pi or whatever instead of this. If it just uses the SNES for power and emulates everything anyway, you might as well go the emulation box route, and do so with something that can be updated, readily configured, and that has something better than composite video (like the Pi, with HDMI!).

It looks like garbage, in my opinion, so don't waste your money on it just because it seems like something versatile and multi-function. It's razzle-dazzle, pure and simple.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
you know in a few years you'll have to boil the new 72 pins right

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

That's your solution to everything. Only getting blinking lights on the NES: "Boil the pins." I can't bowl a strike: "Boil the pins." This isn't writing: "Boil the pens."

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

That's your solution to everything. Only getting blinking lights on the NES: "Boil the pins." I can't bowl a strike: "Boil the pins." This isn't writing: "Boil the pens."

well I suppose boiling pens would very likely solve the problem with writing, turning them into a ball of inky plastic instead

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If you want to run the jewels, you gotta boil the pins.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone tried boiling a Virtual Boy?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

Anyone tried boiling a Virtual Boy?

I thought you were supposed to bake them?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Can you use USB controls with a modded Wii? Thinking about setting up one for emulation in the lounge room but like hell I'm playing with a wiimote!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

field balm posted:

Can you use USB controls with a modded Wii? Thinking about setting up one for emulation in the lounge room but like hell I'm playing with a wiimote!

https://www.amazon.com/Club-Nintendo-Super-Famicom-Classic-Controller/dp/B004TL1K0A
:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

field balm posted:

Every emulator/etc I've tried on my modded Wii has worked fine with a gamecube controller. Some of em even conveniently make c-stick right the button for frameskip.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Was browsing some real old retro game site and I was reminded of how bad they could be (count the mistakes):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Speaking of game music nobody talks about, there's Sword Maniac which was composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Hayato Matsuo. The American version is something completely different.

Are those the real tracknames because lmao @ Krankphreak, Technojihad, (Silicon Jesus Break The Screen Mix)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

field balm posted:

Honestly the wii classic controller works great and is supported by everything that runs on wii

I played through super Mario world on VC with one and never once did I wish I had an actual SNES controller

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products.php?category=adapters

I use a SNES to GC that works quite well, should work on most Wii stuff worth playing that you wouldn't be able to play without a Wiimote. There's tons to choose from tho. I went with SNES because I can use the GB Commander with the GBA player.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Caitlin posted:

STOP CRUSHING MY DREAMS!

Also, I crushed my foot after upgrading my megatouch to Ruby 2. The coin collector slid out as I was putting it back on its kiosk.

But now I got Wordster at least. Still need to upgrade to one with Tic-Tac-Trivia and Hollywood Match, but I had this one laying around.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

field balm posted:

Many homebrew games, emulators, and the Nintendont wrapper support Dualshock 3's via cable, and can be configured for any number of USB controllers.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Many homebrew games, emulators, and the Nintendont wrapper support Dualshock 3's via cable, and can be configured for any number of USB controllers.

Thanks, this is what I was hoping to hear!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I thought you were supposed to bake them?

You bake Virtual Boys and deep fry Dreamcasts. I need to buy a souvee machine for my Game Gear...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder how many consoles are repairable with strategic culinary applications of extreme temperatures. Sadly such an attempt didn't work for my new 3DS' right stick not detecting.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

univbee posted:

I wonder how many consoles are repairable with strategic culinary applications of extreme temperatures. Sadly such an attempt didn't work for my new 3DS' right stick not detecting.

Have you tried swinging it around by its charging cable in a fit of childish rage?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Have you tried swinging it around by its charging cable in a fit of childish rage?

Yes.

Oh wait you meant as a repair tactic.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

univbee posted:

Yes.

Oh wait you meant as a repair tactic.

Well poo poo then, that exhausts my repair suggestions. Have you tried throwing a barrel at it?

Serious suggestion, you've got nothing to lose by disassembling it and cleaning the stick and mechanism up with high strength isopropyl alcohol, I've heard of skin grease and general gamer grossness causing problems with it. Even just a visual inspection couldn't hurt if its something repairable.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 27, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Seriously suggestion, you've got nothing to lose by disassembling it and cleaning the stick and mechanism up with high strength isopropyl alcohol, I've heard of skin grease and general gamer grossness causing problems with it.

Previous ventures in retro teardowns has pretty much formally proven my skills at such being roughly "the worst" so I'm going to eat the official Nintendo repair cost and hope if it fucks up again it's in less than a year so they'll fix it for free that time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
People actually used to bake xbox 360 motherboards to reflow the solder and fix the RRoD.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Same for the PS3 and the YLoD.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

People actually used to bake xbox 360 motherboards to reflow the solder and fix the RRoD.

And after doing it, mines run for almost a decade with no more issues.

I kept hoping it would bite it so I'd have an excuse to get one with HDMI. But no such luck. Now I don't care as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Ya, plus a lot of DIYers will hack together a toaster oven with some temp sensors in order to flow boards that use solder paste, or to reflow older boards that may have cold solder joints. But I think people were joking around with that mind in the above posts.

RodShaft posted:

And after doing it, mines run for almost a decade with no more issues.

I kept hoping it would bite it so I'd have an excuse to get one with HDMI. But no such luck. Now I don't care as much.

eh, my current model is the post-redesign/pre-slim 360 w/hdmi and I still use component because my HDMI ports are full on my older console TV and I use this switch. Still does 1080p and looks great. Also, when I was playing skyrim while connected via HDMI my sound channels were all funky (apparently was an issue), so I had switched for analog audio anyway.

• Locked thread