Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

univbee posted:

Previous ventures in retro teardowns has pretty much formally proven my skills at such being roughly "the worst" so I'm going to eat the official Nintendo repair cost and hope if it fucks up again it's in less than a year so they'll fix it for free that time.

Don't be a pussy and trash that children's toy like a real man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Don't be a pussy and trash that children's toy like a real man.

Future this thread would murder me for my carelessness at wrecking something worth 5000 Euros, which the entire world would be using at that time.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

univbee posted:

Future this thread would murder me for my carelessness at wrecking something worth 5000 Euros, which the entire world would be using at that time.

I believe you mean 5000 Trumpbucks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm still having a good time shooting my way through WWII Medal of Honor games, OG MoH is done and I'm a third of the way through MoH Underground (also on PS1).

Underground is neat because it takes the gameplay from the first game and expands on it with better level design and more entertaining enemy encounters, you get the sense that the developers are more sure-footed in the game engine so they're able to better hide engine limitations like poor draw distances or enemy AI issues.

Incidentally the player character in Underground is based on a real French Resistance agent, which is pretty neat.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Majority of the old Medal O' Honors are still entertaining up until PS2's Frontline which is exact moment it was clear the existing formula hit a dead end Probably the first time I've been genuinely skeptical of the supposed "critical consensus," it has the dubious honor of being one of like three games I've straight up returned. It wasn't terrible, but it was basically the same game and limitations of the previous entries only with a super short campaign.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well guess which game is on deck once I finish Underground! :haw:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Majority of the old Medal O' Honors are still entertaining up until PS2's Frontline which is exact moment it was clear the existing formula hit a dead end Probably the first time I've been genuinely skeptical of the supposed "critical consensus," it has the dubious honor of being one of like three games I've straight up returned. It wasn't terrible, but it was basically the same game and limitations of the previous entries only with a super short campaign.

I had a similar experience as you where Allied Assault had this WOW factor while Frontline was a rental completion but in hindsight Frontline is a solid-if-unambitious shooter while Allied Assault is straight up a bad game. What's frustrating is that it starts strong and the D-Day scene was groundbreaking but halfway through the game the level design shits the bed and the game basically becomes impossible to beat without cheat codes. One level is a literal 30 foot path but invisible snipers with pinpoint accuracy and no muzzle flash spawn in locations where it's impossible to spot, aim, and fire without taking 50 damage per shot.

It made so much sense how Call of Duty immediately took over after Pacific Assault flopped and the console games went into an arcadey route.

With that said the Gameboy Advance game Infiltrator is pretty decent. It looks and plays like a B-tier SNK arcade game.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Allied Assault definitely fell on its face hard halfway through. There's probably a good reason seldom anyone goes beyond the initial D-Day/Operation Torch (IIRC) levels when replaying.

My fondest memories of Frontline were the enemy constantly wiping itself out with grenades before ever encountering them. It's not worth much vitriol but sweet Christ it didn't deserve the 9.5/10 bullshit reviews that were certainly paid for. I think I burned through it under three hours to boot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I really loved Frontline a whole bunch and certainly think it was worth 9.5s and poo poo. As far as I'm concerned it's the best in the series v:shobon:v

In fact I liked it so much that I bought it for the Xbox after I'd already finished my GameCube copy of it.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Cubey posted:

I really loved Frontline a whole bunch and certainly think it was worth 9.5s and poo poo. As far as I'm concerned it's the best in the series v:shobon:v

How much are they paying you?!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

al-azad posted:

I had a similar experience as you where Allied Assault had this WOW factor while Frontline was a rental completion but in hindsight Frontline is a solid-if-unambitious shooter while Allied Assault is straight up a bad game. What's frustrating is that it starts strong and the D-Day scene was groundbreaking but halfway through the game the level design shits the bed and the game basically becomes impossible to beat without cheat codes. One level is a literal 30 foot path but invisible snipers with pinpoint accuracy and no muzzle flash spawn in locations where it's impossible to spot, aim, and fire without taking 50 damage per shot.

It made so much sense how Call of Duty immediately took over after Pacific Assault flopped and the console games went into an arcadey route.

With that said the Gameboy Advance game Infiltrator is pretty decent. It looks and plays like a B-tier SNK arcade game.

Are you slamming Allied Assault? :monocle: I love that game, I've beaten it probably 5 times and it totally owns.

I'm actually leaving it (and the other PC MoH games) out of my series playthrough only because my PC is totally dead right now. If I get my PC back up and running in a timely manner I might add them back into the queue.

I really liked MoH Airborne on the X360, the whole "parachute into every level, land where you want and tackle a laundry list of objectives in any order" was a really novel idea.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Well guess which game is on deck once I finish Underground! :haw:

Underground 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70HFC8jNUT8

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know people poo poo on it a lot, but I really love the original Killer Instinct (arcade version). It combined everything I liked about Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, and I still think the graphics and music are fantastic. I especially loved that the background kind of seemed to "change" as you walked around the stage. I am still not sure how they did that especially since it was just FMV really. Sabrewulf's music to me still sounds like something out of a Tim Burton movie. I didn't even discover shadow moves until the 2000s; I never saw one done in the arcade.

Anyway I kind of wanted to see what the announcer looked like, picturing he'd look like George "The Animal" Steele but not even close. Here's a video that shows a picture of him, and they also show a lot of other really cool stuff like early character designs and a barcode system for custom characters that was planned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYOSruFjwEY

fishmech posted:

Was browsing some real old retro game site and I was reminded of how bad they could be (count the mistakes):

Mistake caught: pause button is on the system and not the controllers :q:

RodShaft posted:

STOP CRUSHING MY DREAMS!

Also, I crushed my foot after upgrading my megatouch to Ruby 2. The coin collector slid out as I was putting it back on its kiosk.

But now I got Wordster at least. Still need to upgrade to one with Tic-Tac-Trivia and Hollywood Match, but I had this one laying around.

That is great! I wanna find a Megatouch XL Titanium upgrade kit someday. All I have is puny Gold. Do they add more puzzles to each game? I know they add games but if I primarily like Photo Hunt, would upgrading give me more "stages" or "pictures" for Photo Hunt?

I hope I get my machine working. It worked fine before I brought it into my basement a while back. Maybe I knocked something out or maybe a somewhat dank and humid basement messed it up. :\

field balm posted:

Can you use USB controls with a modded Wii? Thinking about setting up one for emulation in the lounge room but like hell I'm playing with a wiimote!

I apologize if this adds any confusion, but here is what I know. When I modded my Wii, I recall not being able to Wii controllers for Gamecube games, and definitely not USB controllers for anything. You were pretty much limited to what was originally supported.

HOWEVER, when I got into modding my WiiU (something called vWii), all of that changed. When booting into Wii mode, all I needed to do was edit some config.ini and I could use almost anything in any scenario. Wii classic controllers for Gamecube games. Gamecube controllers for any Wii game. Hell I was even able to use the wireless Pro controller for Gamecube games. In case you weren't aware, the WiiU is actually completely backwards compatible with the Gamecube. I guess they simply did not want the system to be able to accept mini DVDs. But it is pretty drat cool; it reverts to a regular Wii which also reverts to a Gamecube. I guess it makes sense but it is still really cool to see, and it's easy to set up. Bonus is you can stream Gamecube games to the WiiU gamepad's screen.

If you do not own a WiiU, I would highly recommend getting one, even if all you do is play Wii and Gamecube stuff. Though I have not been following Wii hacking in a long time, maybe they ported the USB and bluetooth and Gamecube controller support to the Wii; I am not sure. Hell I remember the days of hackers saying it would literally be impossible to load Gamecube ISOs because Gamecube mode turns off the USB ports and here I am using a Bluetooth controller. Bless these hackers.

Jadius posted:

The Shield portable does Bluetooth as well so I wonder have you tested how your SFC30 works with it vs the Shield TV? Also, have you considered using the SFC30 wired? If you don't have it paired with anything and run a USB micro cable to it it will work as a wired controller, which should mean no lag or at least the minimal lag that you're getting by nature of it being a USB device. If it's worse with SNES emulation than it is NES then it's definitely a problem with the emulator. You say that SMW requires more precision than NES games, but have you ever played this fantastic romhack? It's no Kaizo Mario World but it's definitely more precise than say Mario 2. Also as you said the Shield controller is wifi. If Android's bluetooth stack is inherently laggy that controller connecting through wifi should bypass it entirely.

I did some testing last night with this and found some interesting results. I did the manual lag test from the 240p test suite through SNES9x using my Shield + NES30 (wireless only) versus the Shield + Shield controller (both wired and wireless) on my 42" LG 42LM6200 3D 1080p LED LCD HDTV and my 27" Asus VE276Q 1080p LED LCD monitor with a 2ms response time. This isn't the most scientific testing possible, primarily because I only did the test four times for each scenario and I really should have done it 10 times to have a certain degree of accuracy, but this at least gives me something of an idea of what we're looking at here.

For the NES30 I managed to pull in some fairly respectable scores that were very livable with an average of 67.95ms or 4.08 frame delay on the TV and 28.25ms or 1.7 frame delay on the monitor. Obviously this says that my TV is not very good at lag in general, but this is hardly news to me. It's worth noting that my TV lacks a "game mode" but I have already gone in and turned off every bit of image processing that the TV allows me to turn off.

The Shield controller in wifi wireless mode was the first of several surprises from this. On the TV I managed 62.54ms/3.75 frames and on the monitor it clocked in at 35.02ms/2.10 frames.

Shield controller in wired mode honestly shoked me the most. With that it came in as 66.70/4.0 frames on the TV and 51.69ms/3.10 frames with the monitor. Yup, you read that right. It actually appears to exhibit less lag as a wireless controller than it does a wired controller. I have no good explanation for this, though I will admit that I had the MicroUSB cable going from controller to USB hub instead of directly into the system. I have no idea if this could cause that to happen or not.

What this testing shows me more than anything else is that for a cheapo Chinese controller sold on Aliexpress the NES30 really seems to be punching above its weight class here. I also feel like either Android's Bluetooth implementation isn't nearly as bad as some people claim it is or Nvidia really did a piss poor job on the Shield controller. The results from this have been interesting enough to where I think I'm going to rerun the test again with a full 10 passes for each controller + display scenario and next time I'm also going to include a wireless 360 controller,a Wiimote, a wired OG Xbox Duke controller, a wireless Dualshock 3 and a SNES controller going through a SNES to USB converter. I want to get to the bottom of this.

Wow, that really is interesting; thank you for sharing. I hope you did not go through all that for me, but considering you found virtually no lag with the NVidia Shield wireless controller, that tells me I am doing something wrong on my end. But it can't be the TV since the real SNES on a Framemeister has no lag (that I notice). So figuring out what the hell is going on is only going to get more difficult. But WILL figure it out, dammit.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 27, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Oh hey Dolphin 5.0 came out the other day.

If you've been playing the nightly builds it's obviously not too much different than what you already have, but if you're directing people to it, you don't need to direct them to the latest nightlies for the time being, since there's a new stable release.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

All you guys with your stashes of old games... I got rid of almost all of my carts, except for one, which I was able to pick up for $40 CDN about ten years ago. The in-box-with-styrofoam-bottom-with-black-sheath-and-manual gold copy of Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link

:allears:

It's my retro gaming pride and joy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All you guys with your stashes of old games... I got rid of almost all of my carts, except for one, which I was able to pick up for $40 CDN about ten years ago. The in-box-with-styrofoam-bottom-with-black-sheath-and-manual gold copy of Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link

:allears:

It's my retro gaming pride and joy.

Get a CIB grey cart then come back bragging.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Well I just went on a small tear on eBay yesterday. Followed several auctions that happened to end yesterday afternoon, winning one (Trip'd for 3DO, woo!), and then a little browsing revealed the cheapest copy of Kirby's Star Stacker for the Super Famicom that I'd ever seen, so after a half second of hesitation that also became mine.

Completed listings showed a few copies that have been sold recently around that price point, but this was the first BIN under $40 I'd seen in forever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Get a CIB grey cart then come back bragging.

Are the grey carts seriously more rare?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are the grey carts seriously more rare?

Yep. The grey carts for Zelda 1 and 2 were reissues from a few years later that were made in much smaller numbers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So question for the lag perfectionists, am I correct in understanding that an NES, with a stock wired controller, connected to a CRT via composite cables, will have properly 0ms of lag, e.g. in Super Mario Bros. 1 if you were filmed with a high-speed camera pushing button A would react essentially instantly for Mario's jump? If so, at what console generation does this benefit start to taper off? Can you still get 0ms of lag or whatever with a PS3 or 360 hooked up via composite or component?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

univbee posted:

So question for the lag perfectionists, am I correct in understanding that an NES, with a stock wired controller, connected to a CRT via composite cables, will have properly 0ms of lag, e.g. in Super Mario Bros. 1 if you were filmed with a high-speed camera pushing button A would react essentially instantly for Mario's jump? If so, at what console generation does this benefit start to taper off? Can you still get 0ms of lag or whatever with a PS3 or 360 hooked up via composite or component?

When the PSX/N64 were released and game consoles shifted towards 3D graphics. Once that happened, you had a 3d scene being drawn to a frame buffer and then that frame buffer being read out to the screen, as opposed to the sprites being drawn on the screen just in time. That process of introducing a frame buffer adds a slight amount of input lag.

Once you get to the PS3 and 360, high def tv's become the norm and all of those had a scaler chip to format in incoming image for the screen, which introduces its own frame buffer to hold the incoming video signal, transform it for a format the TV's screen will recognize, and then read it out to the TV's screen.

The PSX/N64 and the PS2/Xbox/GC all were made on the assumption of a CRT TV and the non-existent display lag that would be introduced by the display. Which is why, for example, Super Smash Bros Melee tournaments are still played on CRT TV's to this day.

But yes, if you played a PS3 or an Xbox 360 on a CRT TV, you'd benefit from the lower display lag (lag induced by the console's scaler chip notwithstanding). And if you had one of the rare HD CRT TV's that had HDMI ports on them, you could even play Xbox One or PS4 games with very little to no input lag caused by the display.

However, because of the assumption that people are playing games on LCD TVs that have some amount of input lag, modern games are designed with looser input tolerances to budget for display lag.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Actually a PS3 or newer would probably have more lag on a CRT than on a decent HDMI display. It's slower to add the digital to analog conversion from the PS3 going out over component. HDCRTs can be worse than a LCD display because they end up having multiple conversion steps from any input.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can essentially assume that instant reactions died with the crt tv. It's the reason light guns don't work, and the variability of each manufacturers scalers is way worse than any lag introduced by consoles having framebuffers.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I still remember trying my Super Scope on my first flatscreen (Panasonic 32" plasma that's still rockin today) and thinking I was outsmarting everyone all "hah sure the NES zapper won't work, but the Super Scope has the sensor above the TV that'll obviously work with any kind of TV" and boy was I bummed.

This is the absolute #1 reason I keep a CRT around. Sure I love games looking amazing, sure I can emulate light gun games several different ways on a huge TV, but being able to play with the actual zapper on a TV is crazy nostalgic and fun to me.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

You'd think someone would make a Wiimote that looks like an original Zapper.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tyson Tomko posted:

I still remember trying my Super Scope on my first flatscreen (Panasonic 32" plasma that's still rockin today) and thinking I was outsmarting everyone all "hah sure the NES zapper won't work, but the Super Scope has the sensor above the TV that'll obviously work with any kind of TV" and boy was I bummed.

This is the absolute #1 reason I keep a CRT around. Sure I love games looking amazing, sure I can emulate light gun games several different ways on a huge TV, but being able to play with the actual zapper on a TV is crazy nostalgic and fun to me.

Someday, quite likely within my lifetime, there won't be any functioning CRTs anymore and my zappers and Super Scope will be unusable and I'll be very sad about it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

XYZ posted:

You'd think someone would make a Wiimote that looks like an original Zapper.
Someone made an actual bullet-firing gun that looks like a Zapper, that's pretty close, right? :suicide:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

d0s posted:

Things like the recent megaman collection [...] obviously had a lot of time and effort put into them and give you more than what was originally available. I have paid for many things like that and think they're great.

I hope this isn't weird but you (literally you) were my target demographic, since I figured if you bought it, everyone who might buy an old game would buy it. So, uh, I'm glad you liked it!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheRedEye posted:

I hope this isn't weird but you (literally you) were my target demographic, since I figured if you bought it, everyone who might buy an old game would buy it. So, uh, I'm glad you liked it!

It's a good collection and also literally the only time I have ever considered playing a game with a retro filter because the "monitor" option is the first time I've ever felt one of those looked correct. So good job on that

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Someone made an actual bullet-firing gun that looks like a Zapper, that's pretty close, right? :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeFSxS1xUjc

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

absolutely anything posted:

It's a good collection and also literally the only time I have ever considered playing a game with a retro filter because the "monitor" option is the first time I've ever felt one of those looked correct. So good job on that

I think the CRT/monitor/raster filter in the Iron Galaxy ports of Capcom fighters are rather great, too. The one in MM Legacy is fantastic, though.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
A word of warning to anyone in NTSC land if you plan on buying an Amiga CD32 - if you buy an NTSC console, get ready for a headache. Most games for it need to be in PAL 50hz mode to operate properly, and lots won't even boot in 60hz. I knew this before buying, but I knew there was a mod that could be done to switch the console over to 50hz. The mod was simple, just lifting one pin and leaving it floating for 50hz then grounding it for 60hz. Switch installed, I hooked it up to my Framemeister and was greated by a black and white display.

It turns out that the NTSC CD32 still outputs color information in NTSC even when forced to a refresh rate of 50hz, resulting in a black and white output over composite and s-video.

So I ended up having to do a full blown RGB mod to get it to work. That was way more effort than I figured I'd need to do, although now I have NTSC/PAL system which I suppose is handy if I ever want to hook it up to anything other than a Framemeister. If I were doing it all over again though I'd probably just import a PAL system...although then I'd need to get a voltage converter I suppose.

What I'm saying is that Amiga CD32s are a pain in the rear end.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Miles McCloud posted:

A word of warning to anyone in NTSC land if you plan on buying an Amiga CD32 - if you buy an NTSC console, get ready for a headache. Most games for it need to be in PAL 50hz mode to operate properly, and lots won't even boot in 60hz. I knew this before buying, but I knew there was a mod that could be done to switch the console over to 50hz. The mod was simple, just lifting one pin and leaving it floating for 50hz then grounding it for 60hz. Switch installed, I hooked it up to my Framemeister and was greated by a black and white display.

It turns out that the NTSC CD32 still outputs color information in NTSC even when forced to a refresh rate of 50hz, resulting in a black and white output over composite and s-video.

So I ended up having to do a full blown RGB mod to get it to work. That was way more effort than I figured I'd need to do, although now I have NTSC/PAL system which I suppose is handy if I ever want to hook it up to anything other than a Framemeister. If I were doing it all over again though I'd probably just import a PAL system...although then I'd need to get a voltage converter I suppose.

Well, as a silver lining, you've probably added a lot of value to your CD32 even if zero multiplied by anything is still zero.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

It's Real Good, thank you for your hard work.

e:

Miles McCloud posted:

My rule for any Amiga stuff is to always get the PAL system. I have some NTSC Amiga/Commodore RGB monitors and they take PAL signals fine but it doesn't really work vice versa. Amigas ostensibly are supposed to be PAL/NTSC switchable but a lot of the games exploited stuff that really only worked on a true PAL system

d0s fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 28, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheRedEye posted:

Hey, so I haven't been following this thread that much, and I saw this post which got me digging around in post histories and stuff, and DUDE. Thank you SO MUCH for the Legacy Collection :glomp:

Also, I wish that Deja Vu 2 had been released for the NES :negative:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Getting an Amiga CD32 at all is only slightly less bad an idea as getting an Apple-Bandai Pippin, honestly.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Getting an Amiga CD32 at all is only slightly less bad an idea as getting an Apple-Bandai Pippin, honestly.

Honestly imo the only worthwhile Amiga system to get for games is an A500 or A2000 and the games are just "OK" compared to what's on the consoles of the time. I like my A500 but I always say those games for the most part are more interesting than fun

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I only bought an A500 and C64 because the price was too good to pass up but I wouldn't dream of playing actual games on these things. Emulate these early computers unless you like waiting 90 seconds to go from the title screen to the option screen then back.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

Honestly imo the only worthwhile Amiga system to get for games is an A500 or A2000 and the games are just "OK" compared to what's on the consoles of the time. I like my A500 but I always say those games for the most part are more interesting than fun

At least the Amiga CD32 controller works. The Pippin controller is an abomination, and on top of that the dang thing only plays Mac games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
90 seconds? Try cassette tapes! This guy tends to have interesting videos, this one goes over that era.

https://youtu.be/_9SM9lG47Ew

I had no idea that people were recording analog cassette tapes as mp3, playing back from cell phone to old computer via its original analog or digital input to load software.

Kinda awesome, but probably only if you too had a PET or c64 or Atari 400/800.

• Locked thread