Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kenji Eno (the D guy) handled the audio for this version of the game and it's actually pretty good.

I shan't be returning to either version of the game but I think the FC's "tiny sprites" approach works better than the Master System "huge sprites but jerky as poo poo" tack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Is there a way to import a Japanese Gamecube Component cable to avoid the ridiculous reseller prices on them, or the resellers have the whole thing cornered? I assume there weren't really that many of them produced. Can't believe Nintendo removed S-Video from PAL Gamecubes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The cheapest and probably best way to get component out on a Gamecube is to buy a Wii.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I figured. Only reason I want one is for the Gameboy Player. Might just be cheaper to import a Japanese Gamecube and use S-video out if I want better than the composite output.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You used to be able to get a d terminal cable cheap but they caught on. They're about the same price now unfortunately.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I'd just be patient and wait for the plug and play solution in the next year or so. They plan to have the HDMi and component (via Wii cables) adapters.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dishwasherlove posted:

Is there a way to import a Japanese Gamecube Component cable to avoid the ridiculous reseller prices on them, or the resellers have the whole thing cornered? I assume there weren't really that many of them produced. Can't believe Nintendo removed S-Video from PAL Gamecubes.

You appear to be in Australia (sorry for looking at your profile) which, from what I understand, is a PAL territory but never really had the whole SCART RGB direct-to-the-TV thing going on (YMMV, though). But I'm pretty sure PAL Gamecubes do RGB out the AV port, so if you a SCART cable and a SCART RGB-to-component transcoder, you could potentially use component that. Or find a CRT / new TV that has a SCART input in your city/country (again, YMMV).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Have you looked into gcvideo? I don't really understand but it looks like you can get hdmi/component out of a gamecube with that.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah SCART TVs never were really that common In Australia but I could keep an eye out. The most sane solution is probably to suck it up until the backwards engineered cables come out. Thanks for the advice all.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I shan't be returning to either version of the game but I think the FC's "tiny sprites" approach works better than the Master System "huge sprites but jerky as poo poo" tack.

lots of master system stuff has always seemed odd to me, like it has clearly better graphical power than an NES but the games seem... clunkier or something and this is a pretty good articulation of what's going on with it. lots of stuff feels cramped or zoomed in or something. is the NES actually higher resolution?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The master system has a dramatically lower sprite per scanline limit, and I think it has a larger base tile size.

It's also just to show off, of course.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

lots of master system stuff has always seemed odd to me, like it has clearly better graphical power than an NES but the games seem... clunkier or something and this is a pretty good articulation of what's going on with it. lots of stuff feels cramped or zoomed in or something. is the NES actually higher resolution?

There's a very slight resolution difference but that's not really the issue.

The SMS was relatively fast at drawing background tiles, so a lot of SMS "sprites" are actually drawn using bg tiles in order to get around max sprite or sprite-per-line (flicker) issues, but the tradeoff is they can only be moved on an 8x8 grid, so games that rely heavily on this technique have very noticeable "blocky" character movement. The other downside to this technique is that the fastest/most efficient application (most noticeably seen in Space Harrier) puts big boxes around all the BG tiles which can be mitigated in a few different ways - devs could draw an image with bg tiles in the center and sprites on the edges (Phantasy Star enemies), they could do what Golden Axe does and use clever-but-slow programming to blend bg tiles so you don't see the boxes, or they could just use the trick on a flat-colour background that's the same colour as the boxes.

The other obvious difference is that a lot of SMS games simply don't run at anything near 60FPS.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
3x upscaling VGA board for the DMG Gameboy. Also adds a NES controller port https://www.facebook.com/BennVennElectronics/photos/a.945926408854146.1073741828.940780776035376/1011222598991193/?type=3

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

\o/

€130ish + gas money because we only scalp tickets to concerts and Nintendo stuff over here. Now I need a bunch of cables and BNC-RCAs, and that the Saturn flashcart does happen.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Did the Car Wash ever do anything?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Skunkrocker posted:

Did the Car Wash ever do anything?

It makes the car shinier, even adds a little sparkle effect

e: Hmmm say I buy a Saturn from Japan, can I plug a Euro Saturn Scart cable into that sucker and just go? SFC S-Video feels good enough, FC-to-SFC composite1, future MD-to-SFC composite2, Saturn RGB and that PVM will be filled up and happy.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 23, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You need a special cable for NTSC Saturn as the pinout differed from PAL Saturns.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I have a euro-SCART RGB cable (bought years ago from Amazon UK, I think), and it works absolutely fine with my PAL and NTSC-J Saturns.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This is extremely my poo poo, but is there a non-facebook link?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

RZA Encryption posted:

This is extremely my poo poo, but is there a non-facebook link?

I don't think so, new products tend to be announced on that fb page

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I want this.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Nintendo had an NES Classic Edition next to an original for comparison at Comic-Con:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The cord on the controller really needs to be way, way longer.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The cord on the controller really needs to be way, way longer.

Guess they are taking after the Famicom controller cord length.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kind of funny, the fourth Super Famicom Goemon game has a level where you're getting shot at by what may be a vertically flipped Doom Guy pistol.

There's also a stage where the enemies are doing Sonic Booms and Power Waves.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I played some Bonk 3 today. I like Bonk 3. The art and animations are fun, and it's got a big variety of forms you can change into. If you let the first boss stomp on you, you turn into a crab and can use your pincers to far more easily defeat him than in regular form.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Continuing my WWII Medal of Honor playthrough, I finally finished MoH Frontline. I liked it well enough, but the controls felt a bit sluggish (and with no option to dial up the sensitivity that I could find) and the enemy death animations weren't quite as responsive as I'd like in an FPS. Explosions felt a bit anemic, to the point that I stopped using grenades or bazookas/panzershreks altogether.

The game does get props for featuring my favorite WWII prototype aircraft, though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229

I was going to start on MoH Rising Sun, but I realized that my PC actually works again, so I'm going to jump to MoH Allied Assault and its two expansion packs first.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

al-azad posted:

Kind of funny, the fourth Super Famicom Goemon game has a level where you're getting shot at by what may be a vertically flipped Doom Guy pistol.
:ughh:
On the other (heh) hand, I guess I only just now realized Doomguy held some pistols in his left hand. Neat.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Hey guys in just getting into all this stuff (after selling all my old consoles and games 5 years ago, of course). But, I'm excited to start anew. I'm tired of playing games on emulators and HDTVs and want a decent CRT to play on. I'm pretty constrained for space right now, though, and was wondering what my best options are for a small CRT TV. Like, 19" at most. BVMs look sweet as hell and all but I don't even have anything outputting RGB yet so that is a step down the road. Just looking for something decent, small, and takes s-video to tide me over while I get started. Any suggestions for what I should be hunting for? I'm seeing a lot of 13" Trinitrons but none seem to have s-video.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Monopthalmus posted:

Hey guys in just getting into all this stuff (after selling all my old consoles and games 5 years ago, of course). But, I'm excited to start anew. I'm tired of playing games on emulators and HDTVs and want a decent CRT to play on. I'm pretty constrained for space right now, though, and was wondering what my best options are for a small CRT TV. Like, 19" at most. BVMs look sweet as hell and all but I don't even have anything outputting RGB yet so that is a step down the road. Just looking for something decent, small, and takes s-video to tide me over while I get started. Any suggestions for what I should be hunting for? I'm seeing a lot of 13" Trinitrons but none seem to have s-video.

You should really be looking for something with component because it's not like it's going to cost you any more, consumer CRTs are dirt cheap or free no matter what. I'm willing to bet most of the consoles you have output RGB and you just need the SCART cable for them. It may be hard to find a small CRT with either component or s-video though, as those are usually in larger TVs. I do have a smaller Toshiba with both but it's not with me now so I can't get the model number.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, I think you'll need to go up to the 24" range to start to see a TV with SVid.

By the time it was cheap or widespread enough to add, it wasn't really in demand on such a tiny set.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

13" Trinitrons are weird in that they have R/F, Composite and Component, but no SVideo. Excellent TVs, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kynikos posted:

Nintendo had an NES Classic Edition next to an original for comparison at Comic-Con:

I like that they include the original regular-sized controller and that it's as big as the system itself.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

PVM terms, what does bridged output mean? I don't have enough BNC adapters and cables to find out

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Monopthalmus posted:

The Commodore 1702 is a small monitor (17"?) with S-Video capability. You'll have to make or buy an adapter, but it's a sweet retro game monitor for the size/budget.

_____!
May 2, 2004

This guy is super cool. This particularly is something I have wanted for a long time. The LSDJ cart he sent me had a cold joint on one of the IC's so he is sending me one of the v1 SD carts and he accidentally sent me an extra El Cheapo flash cart he told me to keep with my Joey. He has been super nice and helpful throughout.

The Joey is a cart reader (and writer for flash carts) much like a GB/GBC/GBA only version of the Retrode. It works quite well! I have yet to screw around with the GB Camera streaming application but that seems like an interesting use for one. I also got to re-purpose everyone's favorite Nintendo trick: I couldn't get the Joey to read the save from the broken cartridge so I blew on it near the IC's while it was connected and BOOM the humidity of breath bridged whatever pin came loose just long enough to get my song off! Just because that is how luck works both my Link's Awakening and Metal Gear carts decided to eat their saves at some point between ordering the reader and receiving it though :argh:.

Chainclaw posted:

I played some Bonk 3 today. I like Bonk 3. The art and animations are fun, and it's got a big variety of forms you can change into. If you let the first boss stomp on you, you turn into a crab and can use your pincers to far more easily defeat him than in regular form.

What a coincidence, I did too! I've always liked Bonk but never seriously sat down with one for more than a few minutes. I made it to Stage 3 and then the power went out. What I did get to play was pretty much as solid as I imagined it would be. It was refreshing that there were a fair number of power-ups but I never found myself gravitating towards a particular one like with most platformers I've played. I didn't realize there were power-ups that made you THAT big so that was a neat surprise when I ate that candy. The CD audio is pretty good as well, it may come for a ride in the car with me during work tomorrow if I can bring myself to remove the Turbo Outrun soundtrack from the CD player (not related to Bonk, but holy Hell do I like the FM Towns versions of those songs).

I haven't really used the PC Engine barring a few plays of Rondo of Blood and Ai Cho Aniki when I first got it. That was mostly because I couldn't figure out how to use Univbee's DAT files and I did not want to deal with manually pruning roms into folders like I did with Genesis Everdrive:gonk:. Of course I figured it out a couple of days ago and apparently it doesn't like the micro SD I bought for it. Any suggestions for one that does work since it seems very hit or miss with what works and what doesn't from other posts I've read?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I just got a rather surprising amount of games.

A few weeks ago I was picking out some spare furniture for the new house from a friend of the family and I spied a PlayStation and some games in their basement. I was told that I could keep it, but shouldn't take it until I had moved. Yesterday he brought the last of the furniture over and a box that had the PlayStation. "Oh, I found some Gameboys and brought them too," he told me. I figured there was no way he meant plural Gameboys, he just meant the games or something.
Today I opened the box and my mind was blown to find all of this inside.

There are also some windows shareware games, a PS2 DVD remote (with no dongle) and of course all the cords for the PlayStation. I'm super happy to get the Gameboy color and GBAs for the same reason I'd wanted the PlayStation, which is that I tend to give away old consoles when the newer versions are backwards compatible. I guess I should do the screen upgrade on at least one of the GBAs?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

UnhandledException posted:

The Commodore 1702 is a small monitor (17"?) with S-Video capability. You'll have to make or buy an adapter, but it's a sweet retro game monitor for the size/budget.

This is a bad idea. The 1702 is old as hell, limited in its capabilities, and outclassed by cheap displays encapsulating all the years of display technology that came after it was released.

If they're going to pay for a CRT monitor (and also pay for all the shipping that potentially entails), they might as well get a 14" PVM (like Sony's PVM 14M2U series), and get composite, S-Video, and potentially component and outright RGB in the bargain.

MrLonghair posted:

PVM terms, what does bridged output mean? I don't have enough BNC adapters and cables to find out

Bridged output seems to be an audio-related term, from what I can see? And is basically combining the output of two channels into one combined, stronger channel. Many PVMs have audio out plugs, so it may tie in to that, perhaps?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Baron Snow posted:

I just got a rather surprising amount of games.

A few weeks ago I was picking out some spare furniture for the new house from a friend of the family and I spied a PlayStation and some games in their basement. I was told that I could keep it, but shouldn't take it until I had moved. Yesterday he brought the last of the furniture over and a box that had the PlayStation. "Oh, I found some Gameboys and brought them too," he told me. I figured there was no way he meant plural Gameboys, he just meant the games or something.
Today I opened the box and my mind was blown to find all of this inside.

There are also some windows shareware games, a PS2 DVD remote (with no dongle) and of course all the cords for the PlayStation. I'm super happy to get the Gameboy color and GBAs for the same reason I'd wanted the PlayStation, which is that I tend to give away old consoles when the newer versions are backwards compatible. I guess I should do the screen upgrade on at least one of the GBAs?

Yeah, and sell me the GBA that you don't want! I'm having the worst luck finding a decent deal on a decent shape one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I loved that Bugs Bunny game on PS1. There were a couple of decent Looney Tunes games in that era.

• Locked thread