Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tyson Tomko posted:

^^^^ I buzzed through that article and it seems pretty cool, but how exactly are you using it? Are you using it access a USB device straight from DOS so you can transfer roms to your FDS loader dealio? Sorry if that question is ignorant, I'm just having trouble putting 2 and 2 together. I guess my question is what OS are you booting into and from what?

I have FreeDOS on the internal hard drive which is about to die. I let that boot and leave a thumb drive plugged in which auto-mounts as D: which runs fdsloadr/roms/games from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
What's the latest on the RGB PPU for the NES? I have an AV Famicom that I'd really like to RGB mod...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

honeymustard posted:

What's the latest on the RGB PPU for the NES? I have an AV Famicom that I'd really like to RGB mod...

First batch is sold out. More will be made available here. You can read more here. flyboi got his up and running the other day and it seems to work as advertised.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Universal PPU is still in testing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tyson Tomko posted:

My Pentium 200mhz Thinkpad is still trucking along like a beast. I replaced the hard drive in it a few years back but only did so because it had the hard drive whine a ton of older drives had, it still worked perfectly. The thing still plays Starcraft flawlessly and has a feel to it unlike any other series of laptops I've ever worked with.

Yeah that's what was always really weird about my Thinkpads, too (I've had whichever one I donated to JJJJJS; I think an X21?) and a T60, a X61s, and finally a t420 was that they all seemed to run way past their specs, even though that makes no logical sense. I was no joke using the x21 until 2010 for school work and it handled web browsing, Photoshop, HTML programs, and even some games just fine. :wtf:

Also someone just got their hands on another failed console; stay tuned for details (Krikzz is working on a flashcart for it now)

honeymustard posted:

NESRGB is sold out, but I grabbed one first day. I will post my findings this weekend when I have some free time. I will directly compare it to an RGB modded AV Famicom.

Note that I am looney enough that I notice:
dead pixels in any PSP I look at
faint vertical lines in almost all of Nintendo's color handhelds when the console is lightly shaken
vertical lines in the NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, and 32x
cannot stand even the best LCDs due to motion blur
cannot watch DLP projectors because of the rainbow effect

so essentially I am the perfect mental defect to give a trip report on this thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 15, 2013

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

flyboi posted:

I have FreeDOS on the internal hard drive which is about to die. I let that boot and leave a thumb drive plugged in which auto-mounts as D: which runs fdsloadr/roms/games from there.

My real dos did not like those USB drivers much when I was messing with them, but i want to try the FDSLoadr cable with the roms on cd, since I was getting flaky performance off my disk drive too. Poor old drive, you've done well for me over the years :(

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Click this if you want to buy some Famicom games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As-hjAcc_wUodG4xdDJFS3hFUzRiVXRoeFpxLWJSTWc&usp=sharing

Don't post in the thread. PM me or email me

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

superh posted:

My real dos did not like those USB drivers much when I was messing with them, but i want to try the FDSLoadr cable with the roms on cd, since I was getting flaky performance off my disk drive too. Poor old drive, you've done well for me over the years :(

What version of MS-DOS were you using?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Install Windows posted:

What version of MS-DOS were you using?

6.22, the drivers would "work" in that it would mount the drive, sometimes, and would sometimes freeze the PC. When it did work, it could never see any files on any of my flash drives - but I could use the drive to copy files off the old drive once I'd formatted it, in dos.

Once I'd touched it with a new computer it would break again and I'd have to reformat to access it again. Thinking about it now maybe it was just a format issue, maybe windows 8 was messing with the drive? Who knows.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
MS-DOS 6.22 can't handle anything besides FAT12 (only used on floppies) and FAT16 (used on things that aren't floppies and have volume sizes up to 2 GB). You can get NTFS or FAT32 support for larger volumes with additional third party drivers, but the NTFS drivers are usually unreliable.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Also someone just got their hands on another failed console; stay tuned for details (Krikzz is working on a flashcart for it now)

I knew the controller design and ESRB rating on one of the boxes were dead giveaways, but part of me wanted to believe that monstrosity did exist. :allears:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Install Windows posted:

MS-DOS 6.22 can't handle anything besides FAT12 (only used on floppies) and FAT16 (used on things that aren't floppies and have volume sizes up to 2 GB). You can get NTFS or FAT32 support for larger volumes with additional third party drivers, but the NTFS drivers are usually unreliable.

Makes total sense, I remembered "Fat" but It's been so many years since I installed 32s into Windows 3.11 that I forgot that I really needed FAT16.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

midge posted:

:mario:RGGE:ColdHoliday:mario:

I need the following people to link me their post in this thread:

"SA Baldrash"

Here's my post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=636#post421689782

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

RGGE:ColdHoliday

Financial crises require that I DROP OUT. Sorry.

Also, I will probably need to sell some games. Maybe systems? I'd prefer to lose some games, though. Bleah. How do you guys usually handle those sorts of sales, in terms of pricing? I'm probably going to open a SA-mart thread, since I'll probably be selling at least one of my guitar pedals as well. And other nerd poo poo. Etc. Once I've got my poo poo organized, though, I can probably let you guys get a preview sale kind of thing going, since that seems to be the generally-accepted protocol.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Allen Wren posted:

Also, I will probably need to sell some games. Maybe systems? I'd prefer to lose some games, though. Bleah. How do you guys usually handle those sorts of sales, in terms of pricing? I'm probably going to open a SA-mart thread, since I'll probably be selling at least one of my guitar pedals as well. And other nerd poo poo. Etc. Once I've got my poo poo organized, though, I can probably let you guys get a preview sale kind of thing going, since that seems to be the generally-accepted protocol.

I basically priced things a bit cheaper than eBay. Then people would make an offer on a bundle of stuff that was a bit lower than the individual prices I gave combined. Then if I didn't really care about the stuff that much I accepted. 3DO didn't sell because a) shipping is a bitch b) I didn't really knock the price down because as much space as it takes up and as much as I'd like money and don't play it, it's really neat to have it and SSFIITurbo and two of the Capcom pads for it.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hey, a Goodwill visit finally pays off!

I swung by one on my way back from school. First thing I see is an employee at the "OMG SPECIAL(?) STUFF!" glass case, with a goony looking dude knelt down going through the games within. Looks like there wasn't much of promise in there except NES Tetris, which he had in his hand. So I go do my usual perusal of the electronic crap section, and I dare say I came out the winner with what I got:

Four players? Two/four switch? Button-specific turbo? Extended controller cable? :krad: stickers? All for 1/3 the average Ebay price?

Heh, compared to that, NES Tetris ain't nothing :smug: .

Allen Wren posted:

Pricing? You can go with your gut all the way if you're not motivated to sell that badly, or not terribly concerned about the price you'll get.

Otherwise, you can do what I did (and will probably be doing again):

1. Create a new Excel spreadsheet. Label columns as appropriate.
2. Go to http://videogames.pricecharting.com/, and enter in the Amazon and Half.com prices for whatever ones apply to your game. DON'T ENTER IN THE EBAY VALUES!
2.5 Think long and hard about how badly you really want to get a good price or sell your goods.
2.6 DRINK DRINK DRINK.
3. Go to Ebay. Look for each item you want to sell. Check "completed listings".
4. Go through the listings, find the completed ones that best match your item (so, if you have a loose Genesis cart, only use those; skip boxed games or multi-game auctions).
5. Enter the values of, say, ten completed auctions that match number four's criteria.
6. Take an average of all the values.
7. Think long and hard about how close to that average value your item really is. I usually go a bit under.
8. DRINK DRINK DRINK POST POST POST IN SA-MART.
8.5 Wait long, wait hard for buyers. Expect drama babies and cry queens at least once.
9. Get paid, ship that poo poo, YOU HAD BETTER SHIP THE poo poo PEOPLE PAY YOU FOR YOU HEAR ME?!
10. Pr-pro-profit?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
You Can Fix Your NES 72-Pin Cartridge Connector By Boiling It, according to this thingy.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/weirdness_you_can_fix_your_nes_72_pin_cartridge_connector_by_boiling_it

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

the_lion posted:

You Can Fix Your NES 72-Pin Cartridge Connector By Boiling It, according to this thingy.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/weirdness_you_can_fix_your_nes_72_pin_cartridge_connector_by_boiling_it

Retro Game Stores Hate Her! Suburban Mom Discovers One Weird Trick to Rejuvenate Your NES!

Boiling doesn't solve the core problem of the pins being bent. You still have to bend them back. Boiling just cleans out the built up grime, which is cool, but probably not needed in most cases.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Gaming wise back in September I bought my brother a Lynx for his birthday. I had never seen or touched one in real life before that point and didn't really have any interest in it. After playing some Rampage and APB though I realized it was a pretty cool handheld that doesn't get near the credit it deserves. Ebay is FULL of super cheap Lynx games many of them sealed. I hadn't heard of most of them and was pleasantly surprised when I pulled them up on youtube to see the gameplay.

Yeah, The Atari Lynx is a great system that didn't win because of Nintendo's choke hold on third party's, and deserved way better. When I sold off my (meager) collection (only to get back into it again), I kept the Lynx just because of how interesting it is. With games being so cheap since warehouses apparently just kept them for years, sealed, it's a great, cheap system to collect for with really fun games. Like the only home port of the arcade Ninja Gaiden or STUN Runner (not including European computer ports). Or speaking of Ninja Gaiden, a port of the NES Ninja Gaiden 3. On a handheld console from 1991. That's insane!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kthulhu5000 posted:

3. Go to Ebay. Look for each item you want to sell. Check "completed listings".
4. Go through the listings, find the completed ones that best match your item (so, if you have a loose Genesis cart, only use those; skip boxed games or multi-game auctions).
5. Enter the values of, say, ten completed auctions that match number four's criteria.
6. Take an average of all the values.
7. Think long and hard about how close to that average value your item really is. I usually go a bit under.

I think this is an often missed factor when estimating resale value. Best matches your item. There are a few exceptions when it comes to scarcity/rarity where the item can hold its value no matter what its condition is.

You have a copy of (insert game) which in pristine complete condition sells for $40, but you are missing the manual or the case, or the case sat in mountain dew code red and the insert is horribly stained, or maybe the disc is scratched to poo poo but works (it gets to the title screen so there's no way a scratch could possibly affect something that loads later, right?). Please don't ask for or expect top dollar. Seems like a no brainer but...

Also please, if you know there is a significant condition issue make mention of it. If the cart/case has 'Hans' written in sharpie on the back, say so. Sure its something that can be taken off with some time/effort, but that's a hassle the buyer might not want.

Edit: as an example, I just got a gamecube game off ebay and the auction picture showed a great condition label. What I got was the same game with 'BBY' and some other nonsense written in sharpie. So if I try and take the sharpie off I will ruin the label. Lovely.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 15, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

Yeah, The Atari Lynx is a great system that didn't win because of Nintendo's choke hold on third party's, and deserved way better. When I sold off my (meager) collection (only to get back into it again), I kept the Lynx just because of how interesting it is. With games being so cheap since warehouses apparently just kept them for years, sealed, it's a great, cheap system to collect for with really fun games. Like the only home port of the arcade Ninja Gaiden or STUN Runner (not including European computer ports). Or speaking of Ninja Gaiden, a port of the NES Ninja Gaiden 3. On a handheld console from 1991. That's insane!

The Lynx was pretty interesting but I can't say that it would have succeeded if it wasn't for Nintendo's evil ways. It was clunky, ate batteries like a Game Gear, expensive, and the two developers who would have to get the system underway weren't exactly known for their high quality games at that time (Epyx and Atari). Plus the business behind it was really shaky with Epyx out of cash in the process of creating the thing and Atari dieing and flailing around.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

I think this is an often missed factor when estimating resale value. Best matches your item. There are a few exceptions when it comes to scarcity/rarity where the item can hold its value no matter what its condition is.

You have a copy of (insert game) which in pristine complete condition sells for $40, but you are missing the manual or the case, or the case sat in mountain dew code red and the insert is horribly stained, or maybe the disc is scratched to poo poo but works (it gets to the title screen so there's no way a scratch could possibly affect something that loads later, right?). Please don't ask for or expect top dollar. Seems like a no brainer but...

Also please, if you know there is a significant condition issue make mention of it. If the cart/case has 'Hans' written in sharpie on the back, say so. Sure its something that can be taken off with some time/effort, but that's a hassle the buyer might not want.

Edit: as an example, I just got a gamecube game off ebay and the auction picture showed a great condition label. What I got was the same game with 'BBY' and some other nonsense written in sharpie. So if I try and take the sharpie off I will ruin the label. Lovely.
Yeah, I've been taking notes of written-on cartridges and what's not CIB and the like. It's probably going to be the guitar pedals (Rainbow Machine, I miss you already, and I haven't even put you up for sale yet) that pull down the most cash, but I might as well do everything I can to get out of this hole.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
:mario: RGGE:ColdHoliday :mario:

Quiet Feet. I still don't see you on elfster. Click the link in my OP for this.

Joseph Echt, I assume you are CLOKS? Fix your drat name on elfster.

Everyone else. You are my beautiful sweet children and I love you all equally.

midge fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

The Lynx was pretty interesting but I can't say that it would have succeeded if it wasn't for Nintendo's evil ways. It was clunky, ate batteries like a Game Gear, expensive, and the two developers who would have to get the system underway weren't exactly known for their high quality games at that time (Epyx and Atari). Plus the business behind it was really shaky with Epyx out of cash in the process of creating the thing and Atari dieing and flailing around.

Also the abnormally low resolution for a handheld game system didn't do it any favors.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I'm not sure if this really qualifies as retrogaming, but does anyone know where I can find a case and manual for Retro Game Challenge? I've searched all the various sites to look for one and even contacted XSEED about obtaining one but neither could help me since the game is out of print. Anyone able to help me?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

bpc908 posted:

I'm not sure if this really qualifies as retrogaming, but does anyone know where I can find a case and manual for Retro Game Challenge? I've searched all the various sites to look for one and even contacted XSEED about obtaining one but neither could help me since the game is out of print. Anyone able to help me?

On this note, did the translation project for RGC2 ever get anywhere? It seemed stalled for the longest time.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

iastudent posted:

On this note, did the translation project for RGC2 ever get anywhere? It seemed stalled for the longest time.

Work was passed on to this guy and he's making incredible progress
http://gbatemp.net/threads/game-center-cx-arino-no-chosenjo-2-new-start.353523/

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

bpc908 posted:

Stock answer: eBay, but someone else here probably knows of better sources. You can get empty cases at http://store.nintendo.com but again, there may be better options...

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The revised Final Fantasy VII for NES is out. It uses mapper 163 which is listed as unsupported on the N8 flashcart chart.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-vii-nes-hack-released-confirmed-working-on-nesds.357691/

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

the_lion posted:

I did this when I was trying to get my dirty rear end no-shell NES to work, it worked. I have a special pot set aside for boiling electronics parts and poo poo like that.

Also HOLY poo poo I didn't know that got translated! Someone let KRIKzz know so he can implement mapper 163 support?!?!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

The revised Final Fantasy VII for NES is out. It uses mapper 163 which is listed as unsupported on the N8 flashcart chart.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-vii-nes-hack-released-confirmed-working-on-nesds.357691/

I don't even like Final Fantasy 7 and I'd consider buying a "reproduction" that worked perfectly on a real NES. Preferably with hilariously wrong NES era box art.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Heran Bago posted:

It's sad how much I want to play this. JJJJJJJJJJJ's, my man, please add it to your repro shop!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Agrias120 posted:

It's sad how much I want to play this. JJJJJJJJJJJ's, my man, please add it to your repro shop!

Where do you expect him to source the mappers? As much as I'd love one I don't see it happening unless you can get a copy of the actual Chinese FF7

Also MAIL DAY

Gonna post about it when I get this PS2 SATA board installed in my network adapt. It's like a big block of styrofoam covered in packing tape

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

midge posted:

:mario: RGGE:ColdHoliday :mario:

Quiet Feet. I still don't see you on elfster. Click the link in my OP for this.

Joseph Echt, I assume you are CLOKS? Fix your drat name on elfster.

Everyone else. You are my beautiful sweet children and I love you all equally.

Done! I think. Had to do it from my phone. Hope it's all set because I'm not sure I'll be back home by midnight.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

I don't even like Final Fantasy 7 and I'd consider buying a "reproduction" that worked perfectly on a real NES. Preferably with hilariously wrong NES era box art.

I would definitely buy that, and totally draw that box art.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

I totally would if I could find a steady supply of the chinese carts cheap enough.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

ACID POLICE posted:

I did this when I was trying to get my dirty rear end no-shell NES to work, it worked. I have a special pot set aside for boiling electronics parts and poo poo like that.

Ah cool! I do t know much about this stuff so it was amazing to me, probably not amazing to anyone else.

I always thought heat plus electronics equalled death.

Random Stranger posted:

Preferably with hilariously wrong NES era box art.

I swear someone in the previous thread had either got or made a hilariously wrong box art for...Something. NES all in one cart?

It would get reposted occasionally and it was funny every time I saw it. I think it was yellow? Man, if anyone remembers post it up, I will love you forever!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Did it! I was worried because the inside of my network adapter looked totally different than the pix of the instructions in the eBay auction and it didn't even look like it would be able to fit but it did somehow

Seems alive though.

If I were you I'd wait it out to get one cheaper on the eBay auction because dude operates on a weird scale of $15-25 dollars but if you give him 5 star ratings he gives you $1 back :allears:

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 16, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

the_lion posted:

Ah cool! I do t know much about this stuff so it was amazing to me, probably not amazing to anyone else.

I always thought heat plus electronics equalled death.

I swear someone in the previous thread had either got or made a hilariously wrong box art for...Something. NES all in one cart?

It would get reposted occasionally and it was funny every time I saw it. I think it was yellow? Man, if anyone remembers post it up, I will love you forever!

Was it Sonik der Hedgehog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Yep, that was my gift to confirmed German Katana Gomai. I give custom art to all my Santees :)

PS. I changed my name on Elfster too, so hopefully there won't be any confusion when we start the exchange.

• Locked thread