Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

luigionlsd posted:

I believe those are the first PSX revisions they released. Pretty sure those are the ones people had to flip upside down to prevent overheating.

I think those are also the models that audiophiles get excited over because of the digital to analog converter. For gaming I think the only thing they bring to the table are hardware reliability problems. I say pass.

More reading here.

In related news, the very first Japanese Playstations had s-video ports. Crazy.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking of early FPS, I'm playing SNES Doom for the first time. My initial reaction was, "Why is the game permanently stuck on very easy?" Ten minutes of lacking sound cues, controls that were alternatively sticky or floaty, and squinting at brown blobs on a brown background later and I'm going, "That's why this is on very easy!"

I have a soft spot for games like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D being ported to platforms woefully incapable of running it. There are many concessions to the SNES port of Doom, such as the ground and ceilings lacking textures, and monsters only being able to face directly towards the player, but many of its levels are actually more accurate to the PC version than its counterparts, such as the Jaguar, 32X, and Game Boy Advance versions. Its music was also far more accurate, compared to the Jaguar which had none, the 32X which was poor quality, and the GBA which was poor quality and had the levels' tracks shuffled about.

You can choose the difficulty by pausing and selecting New Game. You can choose which chapter to start at, but the later chapters can only be chosen if you've picked a higher difficulty.

One of the problems with this version is that although you can strafe with the shoulder buttons, you can't turn at the same time. However, it is possible to switch weapons while the game is paused, rather than having to cycle through them. There is only one button for weapon cycling, so you can't go the other way.

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking of playing bad games, I worked out roughly what the resolution of Doom for the SNES is: 186x162. Here's roughly what it would look like on your PC at that resolution (width is a bit better because of different pixel shapes):

SNES games normally run at 256x224, but Doom only uses 216x176 of that space, or 66%. The rest is taken up by a black border, which is larger than the one used in both Star Fox games.

Taking away the HUD, the game itself is 216x144. However, each pixel is duplicated horizontally, so it's actually only 108x114. Your character's weapon and the dithering used on the ground and ceiling are at native resolution, though.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Scrub Lover posted:

My DRGE game experience

This is the game I got. You're probably wondering the same things I was: What is a Largo Winch? What is a Commando Sar? Should I be concerned that this game doesn't even have a Wikipedia article?

This was my gift to you. Saw this Gem on eBay, discovered all I could find on it was terrible reviews in Portuguese, and off it went. I'm glad it delivered for you :3

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

iastudent posted:

One of the retro stores near me has a PS1 with both the standard AV-out and RCA outputs together. Is it worth grabbing for anything special?

Trolling audiophiles :v:

I'm not sure how exactly this happened, but the "my music-listening gear is worth several thousand dollars, and I might only be talking about the cables" crowd at some point became convinced that launch PS1's (the ones with the RCA jacks) produced the highest-quality sound from Audio CD's. You can find all kinds of discussion about this online with various rumors like you have to leave it running for 2 straight days for everything to be warmed up properly, as well as pictures of PS1's modded for ease of music playback/aesthetics in a home audio rack.

I found another set of pictures using $950/meter cables for the RCA out :stare:

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 20, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ahh.. yes that should do nicely. I don't even remember the two 72-pin screws being there in the first place, which would certainly contribute to this piece of poo poo rarely booting. Ten bucks shipping to Australia isn't bad either, considering. Thank you for that!

If it helps, the screws going into the NES 72 Pin are longer than the ones holding the NES shell together.

Quiet Feet posted:

Speaking of SNES consoles, a UN2 serial number is likely not a 1chip system, right? I never thought to check my childhood console at my parents until this weekend. If nothing else I can comfort myself that it's still completely grey (though it needs a cleaning). :smug:

A UN29 possibly could be one but even then it's not very likely.

McCracAttack posted:

More reading here.

In related news, the very first Japanese Playstations had s-video ports. Crazy.

I am sure I am remembering wrong but I could have sworn my launch PS1 (US) had s-video outputs.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 20, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still swear to this day that the PS1/Audiophile was something put together by a genius who had a stock of them and no market interested in buying them.

Also 'Woo!' *punch in the air* for finding my Coleco Vision power supply. It's been tucked away in my wardrobe at my parents for the last 25 years or so, so lucky eBay is getting hit with a boxed VGC console with a stack of games and the first two expansion modules. Given that I sold most of my MD/SNES stuff last year at amounts that can only be called disappointing, I'm hoping this years vacation fund will look a bit healthier in a week or twos time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Your typical "audiophile" class CDplayer is just a $40 CD player decorated out to look to an audiophile like it should be worth the $50,000 they pay. Given that level of quality, the thoroughly adequate CD playback circuitry in a Playstation is in fact on par with their expensive rigs, and where a rational person would say "wow my expensive CD player was way overpriced" the audiophile sees the Playstation and goes "what a deal!!".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I am sure I am remembering wrong but I could have sworn my launch PS1 (US) had s-video outputs.

You could definitely get an S-Video cable for it (and I infact traveled for like 3 hours to get to a Sony Store that had one official cable left in like 1998) but it used the AV Multi port. I never knew any PS1 had a stock S-Video port on it, that's news to me. They did have a proprietary serial port (for game linking) and a parallel port (used by Gameshark; did this port even have an official use?)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
S-video on the back of US PlayStation might have been one of those things were sending a system in for repair means you get back a different system entirely. Like how most repaired NES 2s would come back with the RCA jack motherboard and backplate.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

univbee posted:

Trolling audiophiles :v:

I'm not sure how exactly this happened, but the "my music-listening gear is worth several thousand dollars, and I might only be talking about the cables" crowd at some point became convinced that launch PS1's (the ones with the RCA jacks) produced the highest-quality sound from Audio CD's. You can find all kinds of discussion about this online with various rumors like you have to leave it running for 2 straight days for everything to be warmed up properly, as well as pictures of PS1's modded for ease of music playback/aesthetics in a home audio rack.

I found another set of pictures using $950/meter cables for the RCA out :stare:

I knew about this but never saw any pictures. And for some reason I'm still a tiny bit surprised?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
How much of the Audiophile stuff out there is actually legit compared to batshit crazy "I'm convinced it's better because I paid more even though it's the same exact thing on the inside of this cord!" kind of stuff? I see so much more of the latter that I can't ever take audio stuff seriously.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrumpleOrz posted:

How much of the Audiophile stuff out there is actually legit compared to batshit crazy "I'm convinced it's better because I paid more even though it's the same exact thing on the inside of this cord!" kind of stuff? I see so much more of the latter that I can't ever take audio stuff seriously.

About 0%, because double blind testing is banned on most audiophile forums.

The actual recording and playback equipment used in the original studios costs way less than the audiophile crap, and doesn't include any of the $5000 power cord or $1000 for wooden blocks to slightly raise your cables stuff.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Every time I think I'm crazy for paying hundreds of dollars for old video games, I remember audiophiles exist and then I don't feel so bad anymore :v:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
It boggles my mind that $1000 rca cables exist in the same world as Monoprice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

If $1k RCA cables boggle your mind, then I hope for your sake that you never really plumb the depths of audiophile idiocy. That's just scraping the surface.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

It boggles my mind that $1000 rca cables exist in the same world as Monoprice.

Yeah, that's crazy. Do these cables pass through the digestive system of a civet cat or something?

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
I thought the amount I spent on my turntable, receiver and speakers were insane. Those cost a combined $2k.

Then again I've also spent more hours than I care to admit on avsforum, but mainly during the red/blu format war

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here's a link to the SA Mock the Audiophiles thread.

You guys don't even know. Not even close to the insanity of how bad it gets. Thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars for stuff that works exactly the same as stuff from Monoprice. Most of it *is* the same stuff as MP, except for the things that they invent that only audiophiles would ever buy.

They spend more money than I will ever earn on poo poo that makes provably zero difference to the sound, it's all just a dick swinging competition. Don't read the thread if you don't think you'll be able to handle the stupidity.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you don't own a playstation of any kind, go for a PS2 instead. They happily play any PS1 game, and you've got access to the whole PS2 library as well.

This isn't 100% true, there's a number of PS1 games that won't run on a PS2.
I don't know which games they are but definitely look them up to make sure they're not something you'll miss if you go this route.
On top of that, not sure if the commonly available PS2 chips will work for PS1 games.

luigionlsd posted:

I believe those are the first PSX revisions they released. Pretty sure those are the ones people had to flip upside down to prevent overheating.

If memory serves the upside-down thing wasn't due to overheating, it was to keep a rail in the CD drive in the right place to keep working, if you -really- wanted to keep a first run model you could cannibalize the drive out of a 75xx.

McCracAttack posted:

I think those are also the models that audiophiles get excited over because of the digital to analog converter. For gaming I think the only thing they bring to the table are hardware reliability problems. I say pass.

I think the whole audiophile thing came about because when the PS1 was new, it actually was a very good quality CD player, nowadays it isn't really anything super special but audiophiles tend to be very slow to react to the march of technology.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Asbrandt posted:

This isn't 100% true, there's a number of PS1 games that won't run on a PS2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

1) I wonder why those specific PS1 games have issues. Hypothetically if it's PS1 hardware in the system for backward compatibility shouldn't they work?

2) (Regarding the Slim PS2) How the hell did they get to a point where some PS2 games don't work on a PS2? :gonk:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Welp, Bubsy 3D doesn't work on the PS2 slim, guess I'm never gonna buy one now

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ReverendHammer posted:

2) (Regarding the Slim PS2) How the hell did they get to a point where some PS2 games don't work on a PS2? :gonk:

That's crazy that MLB2K5 doesn't work on it. That seems like it woulda been a major issue.

And NBA 2K5, and Tiger Woods 2005. wtf....

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

ReverendHammer posted:

I suspect its similar to how a handful of Genesis games don't work on a model 3; Revised CPU that changed an opcode or something small that games relied on.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Asbrandt posted:

I suspect its similar to how a handful of Genesis games don't work on a model 3; Revised CPU that changed an opcode or something small that games relied on.

I thought that was just Gargoyles. Because it exploited a glitch that was only fixed in the third/worst Genesis.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Supposedly it's because the previous Slim models had a dial-up port (RJ11/12?) and the 75001 dropped it. I'm guessing those games see that it's a slim console, expect it to be there and probe it, then get stuck when nothing comes back.

That probably also means that most of those games work fine so long as you don't access online stuff (which wouldn't work now anyway). I dunno about Ty 3 or Big Mutha Truckers though :v:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

RodShaft posted:

I thought that was just Gargoyles. Because it exploited a glitch that was only fixed in the third/worst Genesis.

Gargoyles is the most well known, but there's also Ex-Mutants and other games I'm trying to find the list of, I saw it in a thread somewhere at some point and it was almost a dozen games.

The particular of this is that the TAS (Test-and-Set) instruction didn't actually write to memory in the Model 1 and 2, but does in the Model 3 (technically the correct implementation) which resulted in games that expect the write to not occur having issues.

EDIT: I'm reading that the games using this instruction can be Game Genied or Romhacked to fix anyway.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Cannot Find Server posted:

Welp, Bubsy 3D doesn't work on the PS2 slim, guess I'm never gonna buy one now

I'm like...99% sure I've played my copy on a slim PS2. That being said, if it wasn't working 100% correctly, would I have even noticed with that loving game? :psyduck:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

luigionlsd posted:

This DRGE gem arrived on Tuesday but I didn't have a chance to pick it up from the post office until today.

This was my gift to you... it was either this or Equestrian Showcase and I made a split-second executive decision to bet on Monkeys.

Sad to hear that the claim of being a Premium Value Product is a blatant lie :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
When did Japanese Import games suddenly become so expensive? They seem to be on par with their American Counterparts now.

Like I'm looking at Saturn and SNES specifically and most stuff is no longer a buck for something. Like last year every installment of Super Fire pro Wrestling was like 25 cents each, now it's like real deal American wrestling games. And JPN Panzer Dragoon is hovering around 20 buck price point instead of the 2 dollars they went for.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Asbrandt posted:

Gargoyles is the most well known, but there's also Ex-Mutants and other games I'm trying to find the list of, I saw it in a thread somewhere at some point and it was almost a dozen games.

Probably the most well known is Virtua Racer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

When did Japanese Import games suddenly become so expensive? They seem to be on par with their American Counterparts now.

Like I'm looking at Saturn and SNES specifically and most stuff is no longer a buck for something. Like last year every installment of Super Fire pro Wrestling was like 25 cents each, now it's like real deal American wrestling games. And JPN Panzer Dragoon is hovering around 20 buck price point instead of the 2 dollars they went for.

Are you looking in Japanese stores or stores that import Japanese games? Because I'd wager a big issue is whatever this change is in Japanese stores accepting American credit cards.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

wa27 posted:

Probably the most well known is Virtua Racer.

Virtua Racer isn't caused by the TAS instruction, just things not being wired up for the sake of cheapness.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

al-azad posted:

Are you looking in Japanese stores or stores that import Japanese games? Because I'd wager a big issue is whatever this change is in Japanese stores accepting American credit cards.

That I'm not all that sure about, ever since Surugaiya went belly up I've been looking for other online replacements but I've yet to find a suitable one that doesn't require a separate company to provide mailing services or a box. Most places on average seem to be around 8-10 bucks a game before shipping.

I know physical stores are out of the question in America places be charging 25 bucks for the SFC version of Final Fantasy 6.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Asbrandt posted:

[...]there's also Ex-Mutants and other games I'm trying to find the list of[...]

Someday if I ever feel like putting some effort into it I may do a big post on the Genesis and their strange library of games based on obscure independent comic books. There's Ex-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire (probably part of a licensing deal with Malibu comics along with the previous game), Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Chakan, and probably a few more than I just can't think of off the top of my head.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I've noticed the prices rising across the past eighteen months. I suspect it's pressure from international buyers that's doing it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

absolutely anything posted:

I'm a big fan of Bubble Puzzle

My search for an MVS marque is over!

I came close to buying one on Ebay, but it seems Electrocoin use a smaller marque than the big red american cabinets? The few auctions I've seen on Ebay that actually list dimensions are all too tall for my cab :{

Tyma fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 21, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After cleaning the game slot on my Genesis things ended up working perfectly. Played Aladdin for a few levels without any problems (the knowledge of getting a 1up if you position yourself next to the mouse ears on the desert level so Aladdin's idle animation makes his head connect with them is still with me even after all these years) . Glad it wasn't a hardware issue, though. I did the same for the N64 but still no picture. I tried my RF adapter this time and still nothing. So I'll open the thing up and take pictures of the mobo for you hardware wizards to take a look at. I'm at a complete loss at what to do with that thing at this point.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

While looking around for stuff to fix up my handhelds with, I've come across a couple screen replacements, notably this and this, which you stick over where the old protector was after prying it off. I've heard they aren't made of as hard of plastic as the stock protectors, but how well do the hold up? Do they also show the LCD as clearly as the stock ones?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tyma posted:

My search for an MVS marque is over!

I came close to buying one on Ebay, but it seems Electrocoin use a smaller marque than the big red american cabinets? The few auctions I've seen on Ebay that actually list dimensions are all too tall for my cab :{

Those are some quality sticks in that cab. Suzo 500's unless I am super mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Someday if I ever feel like putting some effort into it I may do a big post on the Genesis and their strange library of games based on obscure independent comic books. There's Ex-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire (probably part of a licensing deal with Malibu comics along with the previous game), Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Chakan, and probably a few more than I just can't think of off the top of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkjNqBBlYE

Does this count?

• Locked thread