Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

McCracAttack posted:

Got another question for the thread. I want to dip my toes into some Sega Master System games and I'm wondering which way to go. Keep in mind I'd be interested in FM sound. Which would you recommend?
Genesis + Power Base Converter

Even though I will one day get a proper Master System, I've been using my Power Base Converter (modded to fit a model 2 Genesis) for years and it works great. The PBC rules because it works fine with card based games and the slammin 3D glasses. That being said, I do want a Master System one day when I dive deep into RGB and for the added bonus of the built in game.

the_lion posted:

There's an up to 40% off sale on stoneagegamer today, excluding flash carts. I picked up a snes game saver, for example. If you were ever looking at the sega CD memory cart, now might be a good time to pick it up.

For the record it's UP TO 40% off, and the Sega CD backup cart only had 15% off ($5ish) making it $33.14 before shipping. That's a good deal, but not good enough of a deal to make me not wait until my July birthday so someone else can buy this for me haha. I was SUPER DUPER close to caving though I'll be honest. Thanks for the heads up!

univbee posted:

Trolling audiophiles :v:

I'm not sure how exactly this happened, but the "my music-listening gear is worth several thousand dollars, and I might only be talking about the cables" crowd at some point became convinced that launch PS1's (the ones with the RCA jacks) produced the highest-quality sound from Audio CD's. You can find all kinds of discussion about this online with various rumors like you have to leave it running for 2 straight days for everything to be warmed up properly, as well as pictures of PS1's modded for ease of music playback/aesthetics in a home audio rack.

I fully admit I bought my similar Playstation for SLIGHT dick swinging purposes, not for anything truly audiophile, but it was mainly because I'm all about using standard RCA cables when I can vs anything proprietary.

-- Nuclear Strike apparently doesn't work on the PS2 slim either. I don't have a slim so no biggee, but drat that would have pissed me off because I'm a huge Desert/Jungle/Nuclear strike fan.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

-- Nuclear Strike apparently doesn't work on the PS2 slim either. I don't have a slim so no biggee, but drat that would have pissed me off because I'm a huge Desert/Jungle/Nuclear strike fan.

You mean Desert/Jungle/Urban/Soviet/Nuclear strike fan. :smug:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Those are some quality sticks in that cab. Suzo 500's unless I am super mistaken.

Oh my god, let's be Joystick buddies, because I spent an entire day phoning around arcade distributors trying to figure out which sticks were in my cabinet when I replaced them last month, but didn't think of ever asking that here.

All the arcade cabinets I grew up with had either a Suzo-Happ 500 or a Happ Ultimate 8-way, and it turns out that my cabinet had some European knock-off Suzo 500s in it, which used the same moulding for the stick, but positioned the microswitches further apart, giving it a longer throw.

When I finally got the replacement sticks in the mail, I realised that most of my adult life had been a lie :{

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Definitely. And for games based on independent comics on the Genesis I forgot the biggest indie comic success out there: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

And then there's that Tick game that no one ever remembers exists because why would you want to remember it.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 21, 2014

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Tyma posted:

Oh my god, let's be Joystick buddies, because I spent an entire day phoning around arcade distributors trying to figure out which sticks were in my cabinet when I replaced them last month, but didn't think of ever asking that here.

All the arcade cabinets I grew up with had either a Suzo-Happ 500 or a Happ Ultimate 8-way, and it turns out that my cabinet had some European knock-off Suzo 500s in it, which used the same moulding for the stick, but positioned the microswitches further apart, giving it a longer throw.

When I finally got the replacement sticks in the mail, I realised that most of my adult life had been a lie :{

So, on the topic of sticks & buttons, I'm about to replace all of the inputs in my cab right now. They're using the stock buttons/sticks which would be fine, but the guy before me let his kids beat on them 24/7 and they're worn to poo poo (the buttons moreso than the sticks). I'm not super concerned about replacing them with authentic pieces (it's a Neo 29 candy cab), but I am interested in hearing if anyone feels really strongly about Sanwa vs. Seimitsu, etc.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Agrias120 posted:

So, on the topic of sticks & buttons, I'm about to replace all of the inputs in my cab right now. They're using the stock buttons/sticks which would be fine, but the guy before me let his kids beat on them 24/7 and they're worn to poo poo (the buttons moreso than the sticks). I'm not super concerned about replacing them with authentic pieces (it's a Neo 29 candy cab), but I am interested in hearing if anyone feels really strongly about Sanwa vs. Seimitsu, etc.

I think it's really down to your own preference, and to an extent, what kind of "feel" you're used to, from the games you played growing up.

The most defining characteristics are the ammount of throw/deadzone on the joystick (which differs between joystick models), and the kind of contact the joystick shaft makes with the microswitches, when you input a command. It seems obvious now, but I'd never realised that the microswitches were so easy to mix and match. You can take a lovely joystick that you happen to like the feel of, and then fit it with top of the line microswitches, to give it a really high-quality feel.

Do you have much of an opinion on how far a Joystick should tilt to the side in order to input a command, or any specific games you want to try and get the most out of?

Tyma fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 21, 2014

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Random Stranger posted:

Someday if I ever feel like putting some effort into it I may do a big post on the Genesis and their strange library of games based on obscure independent comic books. There's Ex-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire (probably part of a licensing deal with Malibu comics along with the previous game), Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Chakan, and probably a few more than I just can't think of off the top of my head.

Does Prime on Sega CD count? That's another Malibu property, I think.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Tyma posted:

I think it's really down to your own preference, and to an extent, what kind of "feel" you're used to, from the games you played growing up.

I agree with this completely. Even though in theory I think I'd like the throw and feel of Japanese Sanwa sticks, but in practice I prefer the Happ 8 way 99% of the time. Everyone has their own reasons, but like Tyma said for me it was just what I grew up with.

It also can depend on what kind of game you're playing. For example, if I'm playing a really competitive fighting game I'm going to want as little throw as possible because as everyone knows microseconds can make or break you. So that's pretty well the 1% of games I prefer Sanwa sticks and the general Japanese ball style. On the other hand, if I'm playing pretty much anything else (beatem ups, hor/vert shooters, etc) I like having a looser longer throw with the stick (vs ball) just because I like to "lean" on the stick. Also if I ever get a crane game/ufo dealio like my dream the other night, I think I'd like it to have a Japanese style stick just because.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Tyma posted:

The most defining characteristics are the ammount of throw/deadzone on the joystick (which differs between joystick models), and the kind of contact the joystick shaft makes with the microswitches, when you input a command. It seems obvious now, but I'd never realised that the microswitches were so easy to mix and match. You can take a lovely joystick that you happen to like the feel of, and then fit it with top of the line microswitches, to give it a really high-quality feel.

Do you have much of an opinion on how far a Joystick should tilt to the side in order to input a command, or any specific games you want to try and get the most out of?

Tying in to a little of what Tyson said, I mostly play fighting games and shmups and prefer ball-top sticks with a short throw. Although that's also because it's what I've been used to, I haven't used a set of long-throw joysticks in a long time. It might be worth picking up a set of each and seeing which I like better (or putting one as P1 and one as P2 just to gently caress with people).

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
In the next week or so I think I am going to spend some time getting familiar with my new cab. I haven't looked at what model MVS board is in it and I think I need a to pull some of the buttons and clean them or swap them out. I may end up eventually swapping out the sticks for a couple of reasons, but currently they have a tendency to spring back and forth like a door stop if I get a little wacky with my hand movements. Is it a tighter spring that will keep that from happening?

Also the feel of the bat tops on this has me thinking about putting a bat top on my Mad Catz stick.

Also I may be getting a 4 player cab an SF cab soon :retrogames:

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/ent-attend-atari-landfill-excavation?linkId=8022398

Apparently someone is going to dig up the Alamogordo, NM landfill searching for all the E.T. Atari carts that are supposedly buried there. If you'd like to watch people dig up garbage you're welcome to attend even!

I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to attend this, but the resulting documentary might be interesting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/ent-attend-atari-landfill-excavation?linkId=8022398

Apparently someone is going to dig up the Alamogordo, NM landfill searching for all the E.T. Atari carts that are supposedly buried there. If you'd like to watch people dig up garbage you're welcome to attend even!

I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to attend this, but the resulting documentary might be interesting.

I wouldn't travel far to it but I'd definitely go if it were convenient. I'd wear my Al Capone's Vault t-shirt. :v:

I thought they put a halt to this because they couldn't get the correct permissions. I guess those must have been cleared up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I thought they put a halt to this because they couldn't get the correct permissions. I guess those must have been cleared up.

Yeah it got an unexpected delay but they straightened it out.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Agrias120 posted:

I'd just go with a sanwa stick and either sanwa buttons or seimitsu ps-14g. I prefer the seimitsu buttons due to the flat top and them being less sensitive.

The seimitsu ls-40 is supposed to be a common / popular stick for neo cabs as well.

What are the "stock" sticks and buttons in this cab

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'd just go with a sanwa stick and either sanwa buttons or seimitsu ps-14g. I prefer the seimitsu buttons due to the flat top and them being less sensitive.

The seimitsu ls-40 is supposed to be a common / popular stick for neo cabs as well.

What are the "stock" sticks and buttons in this cab

I'll have to take a peak at them tonight and see if they're stamped with any identifying marks. They're definitely flat-top, though.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Woop, another good mail day

The SD2SNESes, 2 straggler EDGB's, Kitsch Bent shells, neo geo memory card and new game boy buttons are here.

Sadly I took apart my GB Boy Colour to realize all the silicone buttons are too big for it :I oh well, i'll throw all the parts in a box and try to get around to it in like a year or two.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

I'll have to take a peak at them tonight and see if they're stamped with any identifying marks. They're definitely flat-top, though.

Can you take photos of the bottom of the sticks from inside the cabinet as well?The restrictor plate on the bottom is usually more distinctive than what you can see on the outside.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So are there any adequate replacements to CD cases that are around the same size as a CD case?

Because I hate getting disc only copies of PSX and Dreamcast games and the cases are missing their backings and instruction booklets and there seems to be no easy way to reproduce them. DVD cases are too tall for the shelf and it's pretty hard to try and print up a CD spine and back that needs to be two sides.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

So are there any adequate replacements to CD cases that are around the same size as a CD case?

Because I hate getting disc only copies of PSX and Dreamcast games and the cases are missing their backings and instruction booklets and there seems to be no easy way to reproduce them. DVD cases are too tall for the shelf and it's pretty hard to try and print up a CD spine and back that needs to be two sides.

If you mean the standard music CD cases (like later PS1 games) those should be purchasable in bulk from the same sorts of places that would sell DVD cases. Usually they come in two parts: the clear plastic exterior and the solid black plastic interior, so you put the back printout in and then snap the black plastic part in. Depending on how :spergin: you are some games might have a see-through inside and printing on both halves, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

univbee posted:

If you mean the standard music CD cases (like later PS1 games) those should be purchasable in bulk from the same sorts of places that would sell DVD cases. Usually they come in two parts: the clear plastic exterior and the solid black plastic interior, so you put the back printout in and then snap the black plastic part in. Depending on how :spergin: you are some games might have a see-through inside and printing on both halves, though.

All the dreamcast games have printing on both halves.

Cover project had a few covers for 8 disc poly cases but they're way taller than CD cases. If they were just abit smaller and would hold like 1 or 2 CDs they would be perfect. But no covers exist for something like that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You mean something like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-STANDARD-Clear-CD-Jewel-Case-/320743340539?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item4aadcaf9fb

That seems a bit much, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

No they seem to be almost the same size of CD cases but have the slipcovers of DVD cases.

*edit*
Unless you mean the replacement jewel cases in which case yeah those are exactly like the DC.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 21, 2014

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Bing the Noize posted:

Woop, another good mail day

Are those the rubber GB buttons? Let me know how you like them, I'm interested because they have full sets with select and start buttons, but something about rubber buttons just seems like they could potentially be grime magnets if you're not careful.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Unless you mean the replacement jewel cases in which case yeah those are exactly like the DC.

Sorry, yeah, I meant as replacements.

I was kind of sad to find out that I can't just go in a Best Buy to buy a huge $20 stack of replacement cases for my PS1 games anymore. The one stack I ever did buy lasted me for years.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Sorry, yeah, I meant as replacements.

I was kind of sad to find out that I can't just go in a Best Buy to buy a huge $20 stack of replacement cases for my PS1 games anymore. The one stack I ever did buy lasted me for years.

I went into target last week and they were selling CD cases with the clear insert for 4 bucks for 10. Not bad if you just need a few replacements.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fatpat268 posted:

I went into target last week and they were selling CD cases with the clear insert for 4 bucks for 10. Not bad if you just need a few replacements.

Well, I know what I'm stocking up on next.

EDIT: Nevermind, the anser was added to the OP at some point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Visited a semi-retro game store today, and while I was checking some things out the employees talk about three new SNESes they just got in that still needed to be cleaned. Of course I ask if I could just take a look at them real quick.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Happy 25th birthday Game Boy! :toot:

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

A friend of mine is looking to offload this Nintendo display. It's about four and a half feet long, he says it's from Sears, and the spaces are for screenshot or box art inserts. I'd like to give him a fair price but I can't find anything resembling it anywhere out there. Could anyone help shed some light on the history of this display, and more importantly how far I should :retrogames:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Fleedar posted:

After years of following these threads, I was inspired to give my SNES the RGB treatment and track down a small Sony PVM. I couldn't find any decent PVMs in my area so I had to resort to ebay, which was a little scary since I had no way of thoroughly testing the unit before buying. I'm mostly happy with the one I got. There is a set of three large numbers burned in across the middle of the screen, but they are only visible on bright, mostly uniform backgrounds, so most of the time they don't really bother me (but when I do see them they really bother me).

For whatever reason, Yoshi's Island was one of those games I could never get working in an emulator without a bunch of annoying little issues that would ruin the experience for me (screen tearing, stuttering, input lag, etc), and finally being able to play it with a real SNES on a real CRT again after so many years has been great.

So big thanks to everyone here for making me :retrogames:
Out of curiosity, which PVM model did you get, and (if I may ask), what did you pay? I'm also looking at playing the eBay game WRT a PVM purchase.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

DRGE came... It is as cruel and unusual as I was expecting

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zenintrude posted:

DRGE came... It is as cruel and unusual as I was expecting

I watched this video and then saw I could get it sealed for five bucks. It looks like a really lame Wario Ware clone.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
There's nothing like coming home to find your mailbox STUFFED with random packages most of which you forgot you had ordered and/or took slow boat from China to get here. Today's USPS haul was:

- Zanac from very dirty pawn shop -- for some reason I thought it was Gun Nac even though I have Zanac already, and the $3 buy it now made me pounce on it thinking I had struck gold
- SNES s-video cable from Retro Access -- drat well made cable and I could not be more pleased
- LOTR Two Towers for Gamecube -- I am AMAZED that this very shady picture and description-less ebay auction was fruitful. Sucker is complete, the disc is flawless, it doesn't stink of anything, and it was dirt cheap
- Blades of Steel with a typewriter made label with former owner's address -- I accidentally traded my other copy because I thought I had 2 of them

I haven't gotten an NES game with someone's complete address in a very long time. It would be so random to send ol' Julia M. Hogan of Lynn, MA a letter thanking her for not screwing up the label.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

nippon nifties posted:

Visited a semi-retro game store today, and while I was checking some things out the employees talk about three new SNESes they just got in that still needed to be cleaned. Of course I ask if I could just take a look at them real quick.

Congrats! :toot:

Now, the next question is whether it has the vertical bar issue. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the "what was I thinking?" front, my mailbox contained a copy of the Hellboy game for the PS1. Okay, actually I know what I was thinking because Hellboy's twentieth anniversary was a couple of weeks ago, but I still think that this was a bad idea somehow. It would be the last non-sports game released in the US for the PS1 back in April of 2004 (just in time for Hellboy's tenth anniversary!), except Cat in the Hat came out two weeks later. Apparently it was the final games from French adventure game company Cryo as well.

I'm wondering if my four dollars would have been better spent on getting the Hellboy game for the PS3...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nippon nifties posted:

Can someone please explain the significance of this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Can someone please explain the significance of this?

It's a rare run of the original-type of Super NES (not the mini) that has a higher quality video output. They were most common if you bought the Super NES bundle that came with Donkey Kong Country.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

univbee posted:

It's a rare run of the original-type of Super NES (not the mini) that has a higher quality video output. They were most common if you bought the Super NES bundle that came with Donkey Kong Country.

Nice! :toot:

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

minidracula posted:

Out of curiosity, which PVM model did you get, and (if I may ask), what did you pay? I'm also looking at playing the eBay game WRT a PVM purchase.

I got a PVM-1354Q. I paid $50 (shipping was another $50 :(), which seems to be on the high end for a 13", but it was one of the only eBay listings that had pictures of the monitor powered on with several test images, so I was willing to pay a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Nintendo I love you but why the hell did you have to make tri-wing screws a thing in your stuff? :argh:

• Locked thread