Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Japan's working on Quantum Shipping to get it to you yesterday, but the theory's not quite done yet.

All that showboating globetrotter algebra...

I feel like I got a box for some that said that, so its more like "box not guaranteed". But then again maybe I'm just confusing which ones were lacking theory.
It means there's no box in theory, but in practice it can be quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Originally it says "no box, manual", except they shorten setsumeisho (manual) to just setsu. Setsu on its own means "theory," so it ends up getting automatically translated to "box theory."

:ms:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Yoshi's Story GBA prototype always brings a smile to my face.

quote:

Donation run initial plan :
Well, this is for me a hard one to plan as I never did this sort of thing.
But my plan is this :

1. I create a simple site with a PayPal and Bitcoin donation button and status. You may choose what amount you want to donate, there is no minimum.
2. When a certain amount of money has been raised (lets say 400-500 dollars) I distribute an encrypted file with all the game data in it. Sort of a preload.
3. When we reach 800-900 dollars, I release the encryption key to everyone that has donated and the game is released.

This is the epitome of assemblergames. I guess we're lucky that the guy didn't buy up a GD writer and blank GD-Rs so he could start selling copies for a grand each. This is a terrible runaround and convoluted version of "pay me to dump it" hoarder poo poo that ASSEMBLER inspires in people. That dude with the early TJ&E3 has no respect for the Dreamcast scene or he just really needs money.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There's an easy NES controller mod but it doesn't have turbo buttons so why would you want that?

The cable you want comes in black or white, like Sizone says it's Apple Mac Mini Din 8 pin Serial. You can find it for cheaper than this on amazon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-Din-8-pin-Serial-MF-Extension-6-ft-cable-/230716902419?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

I got one intending to do the mod to my one TG16 controller but I just use it as a extension cord. I would LOVE one of those adapters you're making ACID POLICE.

McCracAttack posted:

Since we're on the subject which PC-Engine pad is considered the one to get? An Avenue 3 pad? How about a nice Hori pad? Or were they actually making good sticks back then?

What you want is the Virtual Cushion.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 25, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

quote != edit

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The TG16/PCEngine is full of shmups and there the turbo does everything. If I had to mash shoot instead of just holding it down I wouldn't play a lot of those shmups!

As one poster pointed out the fetal duck controller also has a Famicom version with better colors.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What are obscure classics or lost gems of PS2 games? Here's my to-burn wish list:

- Chulip
- The Adventures of Cookie and Cream
- Mr. Mosquito
- Magic Pengel
- The Sega Ages remakes/collection like Space Harrier

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks guys. I haven't heard of most of these.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Are both of your FC30s marked for player 1? The video where they use it on a Wii shows a player-2 version but there's nothing to specify such a thing when you order it. Glad to hear the buttons are good and the thing looks right at home in your twin famicom.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My Genesis model 1 RGB cable and model 1 32X cable came today. Both are the version with an external audio cable since mono is for lamewads. The total was $37.09 / £22.65 after shipping from retro_gaming_cables. Important to note is that my model 2 RGB cable is still needed for getting the video out from the 32X.

I don't plan on using my model 1 with my Sega CD model 2 any time. I would have to get a different Sega Trio power adapter and right now I'm happy using the genesis2+cd2+32X trio to power that OR the genesis1+32X. I mean I could use the Sega CD wall wort too but ehh.

I'm looking forward to the differences in audio equalization with the 32X and I might make another comparison video if it's interesting enough.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Another retro games magazine, RETRO, is up on kickstarter. Written by a bunch of people I've never heard of.

I spot "fail" used as a noun, PS4/Xbone, and how to buy "a pinball."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socalmike/retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-video-game-magaz
$42,903 pledged of $50,000 goal. 6 days left

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 29, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

I will take 5 pinball please

Well I take it back. I wouldn't know where to begin if I was buying a pinball.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^ No regrets man. You've got Pooyan.

Dance Dance Revolution!

No, not quite...

Not even.

That's more like it!

It's Wikipedia posted:

The Game Boy versions of Dance Dance Revolution are the first in the series to lack the traditional dance mats meant for feet. Instead, a plastic pad comes with the games and can be clipped onto the front of the player's Game Boy. All of the games immediately provide an option to play using the pad, which is designed to visually resemble a traditional DDR dance pad. This is meant to give the games a more authentic and familiar feel, allowing the player to "dance" with his or her fingers. If the pad is not available, the games can still be played by using the Game Boy's directional arrows and leaving the dance pad option off; this option simply changes the arrow controls to match the edges of the pad. For dealing with jumps (two arrows at the same time), the 'B' button functions as the up arrow, while the 'A' button works as the right arrow. This extra feature is provided since the Game Boy's directional pad does not allow pressing up+down or left+right at the same time.

The series is also well known for an arrow sync issue that makes every song a whole 8th note early, making it difficult to score well.

Using this monstrous piece of plastic you can press two opposing directions at the same time that should be impossible with the d-pad alone.

Around Y2K Konami published three DDR titles developed by Now Production on the Game Boy Color. These are official 8-bit remixes of Dance Dance Revolution.

I can't find any credits but I would love to figure out who is responsible for some of these remixes like the very spooky 8-bit El Ritmo Tropical.

These remixes are mostly hilarious to me having grown up around some DDR but only now discovering the GBC versions. So put on some headphones and leave on annotations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdBVd91Yro

e: higher quality version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIF7P5xfKlo

As of writing 8 of the discs can be clicked. You'll notice that there are serious encoding artifacts on the arrows, especially when they move quickly. The videos are all recorded in VBA with the Cinepak Codec. They look great in a media player so the culprit has to be how Youtube handles such low res video.
For maximum pretty I could have captured the windows running at 3x resolution. Really though I was in it for the audio; a lot of these don't have clean versions on Youtube.
Speaking of which the audio quality is great. Well, for what it is. In each video I provide links to download the MP3 kind of.

I have been playing with the normal directions mapped to the face buttons on a PS3 controller. This works out most of the time and the desperate attempts at left and right quickly enough for the game to accept it as near-enough-simultaneous make the handicap worth it. Usually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqLKqvqY8A

I also want FEEDBACK on the songs themselves from Chiptune enthusiasts and audiophiles on the 8-bit takes on the songs themselves. I can barely tell my saw waves from my square waves. Do you think a song is good or bad? Tell me why and maybe I annotate up the existing video for the song with your quotes about the dumb refrain.

If there is enough interest I could organize this better make a LP thread. I would also like to figure out who the heck directed the sound on these. I'm not sure I want to do more than the first GBC game because I don't know most of the later songs but it could be fun too. I'm curious if another video host would improve video playback quality, please tell me if you know.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 29, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

gently caress man. I wanted GB DDR so bad when I was an extreme DDR nerd. In fact, I still do, what am I saying. Do they all have that lag issue though? That sucks.

Also I wanted a pirate NARC cart from that dude I bought all those Fami games from but he wasn't going below $5.50 on that and I wasn't having it. I am probably the only person in the world who actually had fun playing that game, as lovely as it was.

In VBA the games are still just too lovely otherwise to notice the lag.

Look at that loving box art though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The pro Let's Play nerds told me I need to re-encode my videos and they're totally right.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

My quick Mom stories. My parents played so much Mario/Duckhunt (90% clay pigeons) that they bought their own NES for their bedroom. This is why we had both a grey and an orange zapper growing up.

A few years later I remember we would go over to her friends house (in true Mom fashion she hates this girl now) and us kids would play Mortal Kombat and Sonic on their Genesis while her and her fellow Mom friend would play the poo poo out of Adventure Island. I remember seeing bosses and levels that blew my mind because we had never gotten nearly that far. They'd be sitting there drinking fuzzy navels and rocking AI like us kids would rock TMNT or Mario 3.
These moms own.

That mahjong post up there owns.

Everything owns.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm giving away a FREE PS2 to any retro goon who'll give it a good home. Totally working. No cords or controllers. You pay shipping though. US flat rate shipping would be $12.50.

Some assembly required.

e: Claimed by kynikos

liquid courage posted:

Speaking of controllers, I've been looking at Super Famicoms and came across this controller:

I know it's nearly the same as a regular Super Nintendo controller, but I just love that it has the mock speaker opening in the bottom right hand corner.

Any controller with Commander in the name is a quality controller. The fake speaker is pretty funny.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 1, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have a small time ROM hacking background and making table files etc has always been a thorn in my side. A hearty YES PLS.

Maybe I'll do an effort post about editing graphics and colors. That or some more fine Sonic hacks.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 1, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hi welcome to my ROM hacking companion effortpost. Sorry to beat you to the chase univbee, I couldn't resist. :v: Today we will be talking about what is numbers, how to draw a dick on your NES sprites, and how to play as your very own fan character recolor!

If you are just here to see a tour of the process then grab some food and scroll quickly through this numbers stuff. If you want to hack along with this post you should! You will need some tools though:
- Windows or a Windows Tiny XP virtual machine.
- A tile editor. Tile Layer Pro is a popular choice but it has a lot of limitations. Tile Molester is also popular and has many options but runs in Java and is gross and clunky as a result.
- An NES emulator with a PPU viewer. I recommend an entry in the FCEU series like FCEUXD-SP

An introduction to hex
Humans grew up with ten fingers and in our decimal number system there are ten numbers from 1 to 10. But what if it were different? :catdrugs: What if we were counting in binary and there were only two numbers from 1 to 10? The 10 in binary is the same as our 2.
So with hexadecimal there are 16 numbers from 1 to 10. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and then it needs a new character which is A. This is followed by B, C, D, E, and then F which is the highest single-digit “number” in hexadecimal, even though it’s our 15. The highest two-digit hexadecimal number is FF or 255, which might sound familiar to you.
When software is compiled from its source it becomes a heap of data and machine code instructions in big piles of binary numbers called files. A ROM is a game’s read-only memory backed up to a file.

There are a myriad of reasons why we choose to view the 1s and 0s as hex instead of binary or decimal. It’s practical, comfortable, and more in tune with the spacing and storage of the way this stuff really is than decimal. You’re going to see a lot of hexadecimal, get used to it!

It’s common to put a $ sign or a 0x in front of a hexadecimal number. From now on if a number is in hexadecimal format I will put 0x in front of it so if you see 0x10 then it’s our 16. 0xA is our 10, 0xF is our 15, 0x9 is 9 in decimal.

Palettes and the pretty colors.

A palette is this thing an artist holds:

Now imagine that the graphics chip is holding this block of numbers that is pretty much that; the colors it uses to draw the graphics on screen according to the number of each graphic tile. We’ll get to graphics tiles (but not their numbers) later. Palettes are just an easily searchable and editable strip of hexadecimal numbers that the system will interpret as colors.

For the purpose of this guide I’m going to focus on NES. NES is an easy place to start because of its limited and easy to find palettes. Here is a chart from an old guide of every color the NES is capable of and its numeric value:

The exact steps I’m going to go through won’t work for every NES game. It’ll work for most though.

First back up your ROM and open it up in FCEUGX9x_64 or whatever. Explore the menus and open up the PPU viewer and the Hex Editor. In the Hex Editor note that you can view the NES memory, PPU memory, or the ROM. You are interested in all of these. You can also load a .tbl file which you might remember from univbee’s post

In the PPU viewer you can hover over the colors and it will tell you what it is. Somewhere in here are the colors of the thing that you want to change the colors of. I want to change the colors of the main character. Usually it’s just in the PPU viewer once but I see it here twice, no matter!

Using the built-in hex editor we can change the values that represent the colors in the PPU or in the RAM to see how the recolor looks in real time. When I’m satisfied I can change the same values in the ROM data and just save the ROM like that. All within the emulator!

In the screenshot above my ‘cursor’ is hovering over a nice fleshy pink with a value of 0x25.
The three colors together that comprise the character and appear twice for some reason are 0x2A, 0x26, and 0x30. Together that's 0x2A2630.
If we do a search for this number in the hex editor looking at the PPU it comes up quite a lot. Changing the first instance to numbers hand-picked from the chart above doesn’t do anything. Looking at the PPU viewer shows it had an effect so maybe it changed the color of bubbles or item pickups or something. Changing the second instance yields the expected results though.

Any changes to the PPU in this are temporary. Change the view in the hex editor to ROM and see if the same colors turn up. As long as I search without a black on either end I seem to find this palette eight times in the whole ROM. The prudent way to determine the correct one would be trial and error. But right now I only care about getting a ROM where I play as the red bubble bobble so I changed all eight.

And that’s a wrap! Time to hit the colored pencils and take deviantART by storm with your Original Character. Or maybe writing is more your thing?

Graphics and Tiles

But you take your Bubble Bobble fannon very seriously and your fan character is usually in his human form but can still shoot bubbles like a dragon. So you’re going to replace his graphics as well as his colors.

Many sprites in games that need to be loaded quickly are uncompressed. This makes them really structured and accessible usually. Open Super Mario Brothers in Tile Layer Pro. Look at how the graphics are structured and familiarize yourself with the tools to draw a wang on a character.

So I opened Tile Layer Pro and opened three files: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, and a blank “clip board” file full of 0x00s. you can make something like this by copying black squares in a junk ROM in TLP. Anyway in both game ROMs I scrolled through until I found the art (- and = keys to bit-adjust) which like most NES games was not compressed. The sprites are stored a little different in the two games but it’ll work out. The first step is to piece both together in the clipboard ROM. This may sound or look intimidating but it’s just a lot of click and drag.

So the sprites are the same size. I could start putting the new tiles from the clip board on the appropriate spots in the Bubble Bobble ROM but because they are facing opposite directions by default his sprites would be backwards all the time. So I have to flip those Rainbow Island sprites horizontally.

Then it’s a simple matter of tastefully replacing the original ROM’s graphics.

And then to test it.

Huh that’s weird. Looking through the ROM’s graphics there are more sprites for the main characters. Looks like we changed a set of unused graphics!

That’s more like it. But it still needs some tweaking.

There! Original Character do not steal! After moving around a little art that I didn’t get quite right it’s functional. Just think of the 16x16 sprites you could swap.

For reference, here is an end result of the ROM.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0BSJQD26/

And that’s basic graphics editing on NES. The premise is surprisingly similar on SMS, Genesis, SNES, and even GBA.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 2, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh I got bottom-paged. Go back and read it!

univbee posted:

No worries, and good info. In fact, it builds nicely on some of the stuff I was talking about, so I'll rework my thing to build off what you already said.
Good I wasn't sure if I should wait or not. Hope I made it easier rather than harder.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

drat univbee that is some good postin'.
I've never even seen Table Editor before. Wow that looks better than notepad.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

univbee and Heran Bago; may I add your excellent posts to the OP so they never get lost? I will of course credit the both of you.

Of course. Spread the word!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 2, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I don't even have a FDS but I have floppies and I'd be down for this.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh, of course they are. :v:

overdriveGTO posted:

I'm going to repost this since I have done a little more research into an issue I am having.

I modded my SNES Mini for RGB and it seems to work ok except in Chrono Trigger. When a text box is on screen, the screen shakes up and down. I thought I just messed up my mod. I acquired another SNES Mini and after modding, the same thing happened. Finally I gave up and decided to use a 1Chip SNES (stock) and it is still happening. This issue does not occur on my SNES that is not a 1Chip model.

I should also note that this is through an XRGB Mini.

Any ideas? The one thing I have not tried is a different cable. I have been using this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...=item2eca7f8186

I have also used both the Retro Console Accessories and the Retro RGB Cables XRGB Mini Euro Scart adaptor to connect into the mini.

I'm not sure if there is some inherent incompatibility with Chrono Trigger and SNES units with the S-RGB A chip or if my Chrono Trigger is messed up or if there is some other issue somewhere in my setup.

I just tested this out on my 1CHIP SNES and RGB modded Super Famicom Jr. ACID sold me way back on a lark. The text boxes are fine on both. I have no idea what is up there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hi welcome to another exciting ROM hacking effort post. Today we’ll learn how to dub your own voice into a GBA game and then share your work with the world. We start undubbing Zelda Link to the Past as a hands-on example. If you’re new to this or like what you see then check out the last couple posts by univbee and I.

Tools:
- A cheap pair of headphones
- An audio editor that can support raw PCM data. I recommend anything with Cool Edit in the name. Adobe Audition CS6 and CS3 support PCM but not anything in between. Any version of Cool Edit Pro should work too. I don’t know anything about Goldwave or Audacity.
- An IPS Patcher like Lunar IPS.

Raw Voice Samples

Start off by making a copy of your ROM and change the file extention to .pcm. Open it in your audio editor and make sure your speakers are off.

GBA games use straight up raw waveform (wav) audio samples for many sound effects and instruments in songs. These are called “voice samples” whether they’re instruments or voice acting or whatever. While the games can have whatever quality they want 95% of the time they use a sample rate of 11025. Open it as a signed mono 8-bit PCM.

Like everything else in a ROM audio samples are just numbers. In a hex editor a game looks like numbers, in a tile editor it looks like colorful fuzz, and this is what the GBA ROM looks like in an audio editor.

Look closely at the image above. Most of the file is full volume white noise. Listening to this game data as audio is uncomfortable and actually bad for your audio equipment. That's why you have the crappy headphones. When you’re really digging for voice samples you might have to listen to a lot of it but here we can see a part of the game data that is more structured looking starting around 3:10.

Most of the audio we can hear starts with a tiny ‘blip’ and sounds like instruments in varying pitches. Link to the past does something that very few GBA games do; it uses a few different sample rates so certain instruments are higher quality than most GBA shlock.

Seen in the picture above are all of Link’s voice clips. Each one has a tiny line in front of it that the audio editor interprets as a blip. This is actually a little important piece of data. It’s a header that says “yo this is a voice sample.” We don’t even want to bother with a hex editor so we’re leaving that alone.

Using wicked zooming we can start the to-be-changed selection a little after that header. It’s good to give yourself room so feel free to start a little later. There is no way anyone is going to hear another 100th of a second before Link really starts screaming.

Silencing the audio just replaces your selection with 00s. Keep it selected and open up your personal recording you made of all the sounds in Zelda LttP. Or go to the Webpage with every Zelda sound ever.

Copy and mix-paste in the new sound. It’s important that your new sound is shorter than the old one. Mix-paste will combine the silence and your new sound while retaining the size of your selection.

Then you have to save the ROM again as PCM data. This part is not totally straight forward and is impossible in Adobe Audition CS4, CS5, CS5.5. In fact at this point in the tutorial hit a snag where I couldn’t figure out how to get Audition CS6 to save the whole file as a .pcm without subtly changing data throughout and ruining the ROM. Christ. Someone please figure this out for me.
I could use just that part and memory addresses but believe me this whole process is easier when you don’t even touch a hex editor.

So I just fell back on using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and redid the whole process and just saved. Pictures still apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQXK9W0D-9Q
There now Link sounds like Link when he falls. This might be worth finishing if apathy or real life - the two nemeses of any good ROM hacker - don’t kick in first.

Using this technique you can redub certain games. It’s nice to just silence Mario and company saying “Woo-Hoo! Just what I needed!” in all those Mario Advance games but I like Yoshi making modern Yoshi noises.
People have put this technique to work making the music in the GBA Final Fantasy titles not sound like total garbage. There’s also one that changes Link in Minish Cap to sound like Link in Wind Waker.

The basic principles of audio sample editing can apply to other systems while the process and settings can vary a bit. Actual audio clips in some NES and Genesis games like the SEEGAA logo in Sonic games are just a quick edit away.

These things are so easy to find and edit for the same reasons as the graphics in my last effortpost. These all raw and uncompressed for quick and easy access to the game’s memory. This is the stuff that needs to load up instantly at the cost of being uncompressed and taking up more space.

IPS Patches

Distributing and redistributing ROMs is a legal grey area and some ROM hackers are absolutely terrified by this. By creating a patch that only contains the changes you’ve made and info about where those changes go you can distribute files that are completely composed of your original work. If you’re worried about all of the stolen art and intellectual property in your patch that you add or modify with the game then congratulations you’re either overthinking this or you understand why only distributing a patch doesn’t make sense and is inconvenient.

Popular ROM hacking website Romhacking.net only accepts patch files. Most game ROMs use IPS patches. Big games or ISO images often use PPF patches but we’re not doing that.

Yeah this is simple stuff.

To make an IPS patch you take the original ROM and your modified ROM. When you click “Create IPS patch” in Lunar IPS it will prompt for the two files, look at the differences, and drop out a patch. Now when someone has this patch and original file they can make a copy of your ROM hack all by themselves.

When creating or using an IPS patch it’s important to note the what version of the game the original ROM file is. Depending on the game the results could be a disaster. Different regional releases of games can be quite different. Super Mario Bros. has two versions, one with and one without the title screen. In this case you can compare your modified ROM against all versions of the original game and then release multiple patches even if you only ever modified one version of the game.

Some games by dumped by piracy groups have specials intro or trainer screens when you start up the game. Usually these are placed in free space at the end of the ROM and aren’t a problem but sometimes they can be. Try out your patch on a clean ROM before uploading it somewhere.

Personal recommendation - distribute your ROM hack as both a patch and a ready-to-go ROM separately. Most everyone would prefer to just get the ROM, but some sites prefer the patches. If you are ethically or legally concerned about uploading a ROM somewhere then don’t do it, that’s what the patches exist for.

Thanks so for all the positive feedback guys. I hope this stuff inspires someone to make something really good or bad. See you always win with ROM hacking.
Next time maybe some more spotlight Sonic hacks or some illustrious history of ROM hacking.
http://www.i-mockery.com/romhacks/

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 6, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Holy crap wow. Save and load state on the real hardware.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

the_lion posted:

All this rom hacking talk is exciting-now we can have A Link to the Past with Navi. Everything should have "Hey! Listen!" :D

(In all seriousness, I actually like reading this stuff - thanks for posting it.)
There's a Sonic equivalent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySU1CgWhPQw

In recent amazing hacks the author of Super Mario 64 Star Road and 2-player Mario 64 has a new thing out. 2-player Super Mario 64 Star Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlWkU0dk_A

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

When is Retro Games Winter Santa happening? Does that happen?

Holy poo poo at Bubble Bobble 2. Helluva find.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RGGE:ColdHoliday
Shipping: International all over the world woohoo.
Consoles: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_TDuSfLwj_dDNoYzdCb3ctRW05TUtfVGsyQlB4NFE&usp=drive_web#gid=0
Favorite Genre: I like mascot platformers. RPGs, puzzle games, and rhythm games are also favorites.
Requests: Sega Nomad Battery Pack. Camecube component cables. :v: . Here is my wishlist, but other things I don't already own are also nice: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_TDuSfLwj_dDNoYzdCb3ctRW05TUtfVGsyQlB4NFE&usp=drive_web#gid=30
No sports games!

Thank you so much midge for putting this together. I know it is a super hassle. Whoever ends up getting you better be gifting double.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 11, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

iastudent posted:

So now that I have a Wii again, I'm trying to be on the lookout for oddball games that I passed over the first time I owned one. This... this however is a thing.

Yes. That is a Heathcliff game. And a kart racer no less. Released in the year of our lord Two Thousand And Ten.

My time traveler friends from the 70s are going to love this.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone remember what the first dual layer disc Wii game was? It was some silly Japanese thing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Family Dog was a TV show that lasted from June 23, 1993 to July 28, 1993. They made an SNES game.

What's the difference between the Nyko Sure Shot and the Wii Wand Action Pak by Nyko (besides the latter being twice the price?)

I thought it was Smash Bros? Nintendo released a whole thing about how you might need your Wii cleaned to play it.

There was one before smash bros. When the Wii release scene was starting out its file size turned a few heads.

It wasn't popular and it was early in the console's life so I doubt the rampant dust and smoke problems that made Brawl unplayable for so many applied.

That's a lot of awesome stuff ACID.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've been looking for a Playstation 2 ASCII Sammy Grip V2 controller. This is the IDEAL controller for playing RPGs while eating a burrito with another hand. The problem is I can only find one store that has them on back-order at £62.28. I've never seen it on Rakuten either.

There are PS1 and I think Saturn variants that only have a weird D-Pad. Boo.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Remember how I ordered a reproduction from Retro Quest Games in May and I'm still trying to get the box?

Retro Quest Games posted:

Hello heran im back from my honeymoon and im niw able to make your box, in addition, please chose a game from the store that i will send out for free!

Make sure the game does not use save as i cant make those for a while.
A free game! Oh but one that doesn't save. Great. Can anyone recommend a fun or rare SNES game that doesn't save?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

The first thing that popped up was Pop'n Twinbee. Get that.

That's what got me into this whole mess!

ACID POLICE posted:

The good Parodius needs SA-1 though. I say Majuu Ou because its like $600 otherwise.

Oh wow. Probably this. I wonder if I should get the English Translation or not.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Keyboard Kid posted:

Magical Pop'n is another rare, excellent, and save-less game. (It's more expensive than Majuuou, in any case.)

What reproduction sites are the best for SNES? I'm interested in having a set of cart shells with labels made -- I bought some repro carts from one site about a year and a half ago (gamereproductions), which were of abysmal quality for a few reasons. Naturally, asking them for a refund didn't go anywhere and their communication was hilariously unprofessional.

I was accused of having 'other motives' and damaging them myself, but I guess that's what you'd expect with this quality:

(yes, that cartridge is warped. why? the pins on the board stick up quite a bit!)

Holy poo poo that cart is bad. Just so unbearably bad.

http://www.lostclassicvgs.com/ These are your guys for SNES repros. They use the superior versions of Zelda Parallel Worlds and Starfox 2. The goon who runs it is willing to talk ROMs.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 13, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I can't believe you guys don't just always have a Sega CD 32X of some kind always hooked up.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

midge posted:

:mario:RGGE:ColdHoliday:mario:

I need the following people to link me their post in this thread:

"SA Baldrash"
"fatpat268"
Ryan McBride <---YOUR SA NAME IS NOT CLEAR IN ELFSTER, FIX THIS
"Erluk"
"Heran Bago"
Elliott Serbian <---YOUR SA NAME IS NOT CLEAR IN ELFSTER, FIX THIS
"SA Lepecard"
Alex Chilton (El Estrago Bonito)

I am not seeing the following posters in Elfster
HIT OR MISS CLITORIS
PEENMASTER
kynikos

I HATE ALL OF YOU I TOLD YOU I DIDN'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS poo poo MOM!

It's this one:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=101838&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post421724170

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I wish I knew someone with an Emotiv so I could try out some emulators with keys bound to emotions.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The revised Final Fantasy VII for NES is out. It uses mapper 163 which is listed as unsupported on the N8 flashcart chart.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-vii-nes-hack-released-confirmed-working-on-nesds.357691/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Free Mcboot got an update.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/fmcb-v1-9-series-release-thread-116247

quote:

Changelog:

- Fixed support for the PSX (DVR unit). It will now boot properly, and sets the EE and CD/DVD drive into "PS2 mode".
- Changed the way arguments are passed to the OSD program. FMCB will no longer parse and repeat the arguments, but passes the arguments directly to the OSD program "as-is".
- Recompiled the FMCB configurator to have the updated FMCB release version number. Also, with this recompilation, the Protokernel patch within it has been updated (Note: This doesn't really matter because the patch from the FMCB binary would have already been applied).
- The MBR program's EELOAD module had it's argument storage widened, so that it can take in 16 user arguments (To avoid buffer overflows, since the code within it was always limiting the number of accepted arguments to 16).
- Added a clone of the kernel update for the SCPH-10000 (v1.01) and SCPH-15000.
- Fixed OSD configuration setup for the SCPH-50009. Its OSD sets its "region" field to 2 instead of 1, despite this console being in the NTSC region.
- Modified the "inner browser" setting to allow the user to specify how FMCB/FHDB will handle booting into the OSD (Either always boot into the browser or not, or just let the browser have its default behaviour). For those who wish to edit this setting by hand, the valid values are as follows: 0 = AUTO, 1 = force ON (always boot into the browser), 2 = force OFF (always stay out of the browser). It was made this way for backward compatibility.
- Removed the "return to loader" option, since I had no intent on maintaining it. The user can put uLaunchELF basically anywhere, and uLaunchELF isn't part of FMCB anyway.
- FMCB will now no longer display the FMCB logo when software like the DVD player quits, to match the behaviour of the OSD program.

• Locked thread