Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
So I just did a very impulsive thing and bought myself a Turbo Express that I'm going to have to put new caps on. Which is fine, but there was no AC adapter in the package. Suggestions on where to get a cheap one so I don't have to throw batteries at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

JJJJJS posted:

I just learned that I've been vastly undercharging for TE cap replacements.

To be entirely fair there's no way I'd pay $75 for a cap replacement, that's kind of obscene.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Isn't it just dreamy? :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Having one of these (or one of the Duo equivalent variants) might actually cause me to care about TG16 collecting... how's the sound on yours?

The sound is in fact mostly dead, but doing the cap replacement is not a really huge issue in my house. I just have to actually order the caps and wait for them. The audio is TECHNICALLY functioning at this time, but only if I max it out on headphones. Dials otherwise perfect, buttons are not worn AT ALL, the entire body is pretty much perfect and there's hardly even a scuff on the screen. Hell, not even the serial number sticker has wear on it. I'm in love. :swoon:

Awesomonster posted:

Oh gosh I'm so jealous! I've wanted one of these for years. I've heard they get really hot really quick though, is that true?

I can't say I've had problems with it getting really hot, no. It's just, you know, kind of enormous. But it's still no Lynx in terms of size.

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I haven't noticed that happening with mine. My only complaints are with the frozen pixel (common TurboExpress problem) and the Game Gear-caliber battery consumption.

I have no frozen pixel and yeah, I'm definitely looking for an AC adapter because I know it just devours batteries. I'm just pretty sure I can avoid spending $17 on one. I'll probably devote some time to really searching for one today. I'm maybe a little sad I didn't pick up the CIB one, but the box wasn't in the best condition anyway and it was an extra $70.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Do those come with my subscription? Any way to get back ones? How many have there been so far? Why do we, people who generally love technology, still want paper magazines? :iiam:

You're asking this in a thread specifically designed to celebrate defunct technology, you know. :ms:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Risky posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Fanta...=item484bb739b4

I'm seriously considering purchasing this because I'm a huge Fantasy Zone fan. I always thought Space Fantasy Zone came out in Japan but after reading through some PC-Engine forums I come to find out it's unreleased. The guy selling the one on ebay says it's a small run of an official release which sounds kind of fishy. Anyone have any info on this?

General consensus I've seen is that it's entirely unofficial but can still fetch money. However, that image appears to be straight up stolen, so. Unless that's the same seller but I don't have the energy to figure it out. Could be though.

http://www.videogameimports.com/get_game.php?product=8395&new=4&side=1

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Mill Village posted:

I don't know how guys manage to come across all these rare and unusual games. All the gamestores in my area are full of sports games and Retro Duos. The best thing I managed to find was Suikoden, but I didn't buy it because the case was broken. :(

You could have just bought a $.99 sports title and swapped the case if the price was reasonable, y'know. Oh, wait, that's a dual disc case, but still, maybe some lovely $5 game, then if it was more than just the clear part.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know what happened to my copies of the Suikoden games... :smith:

I know where mine are... :smug:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Speaking of which, I plan on building an emulation box in the somewhat near/middling future. NES, SNES, SMS, SG, SCD, S32X...any other good systems to add? I'd lump in N64 but the only controllers I plan on buying are 2 of these when the price drops again: http://www.madcatz.com/sfxtekken/fightpads.html

Plan on it being a Win7 box that can double as a decent desktop using a TV (HDMI) as display output. How much is too much in terms of hardware? It's not for me and she won't be playing new games on it but if I'm going to build it, I might as well make it last. Need help figuring out where the overkill point is though.

EDIT: Also planning on using it to stream movies from the HD. Nice quality but not BlueRay. Don't want it to stutter.

PC Engine/TG16 or get the gently caress out.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

tvb posted:

Finally dropped my Santee's package in the mail yesterday - keep an eye out, goons, it could be you!

Also, any Chicagoans in here been to Headquarters in Lakeview yet? They have Mortal Kombat II tournaments every Monday night. Just sayin'.

No, but I guess if it's somehow remarkable from the other barcade let me know. I haven't really bothered with either of them since I live in the burbs next to Gameworks and my travelling is usually directly to Galloping Ghost. It's really hard to convince me to go anywhere else because gently caress man, Galloping Ghost.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

madpanda posted:

Double please.

Those look the same as the ones I got from a guy on nintendo-age after going through ~15 other kinds. And then he stopped replying to pm's

Seconding Galloping Ghost as well. If you live in the tri-states it might even be worth a trip if you like arcades.

I also live near a gameworks and haven't been there in years. Used to play DDR but most of the machines were in really bad repair. Their retro section was like centipide and pacman, but they had multiple neo geo cabs :iiam:

Nickel city in northbrook , used to also be good but they closed as far as i know.

Nickel City is still open unless it recently (very recently) exploded or something. I live near the Schaumburg GW so it's in pretty great repair, I just don't go that often. Upside is I get to play poo poo like Technika and Sangokushi Taisen.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Mill Village posted:

They also had some Super Nintendos in this time, but they very yellow. :negative:

So? Peroxide and OxyClean. Retrobright gel if you feel like painting it instead of bathing it.

YELLOWING IS NOT UN-FIXABLE ON ANY PIECE OF PLASTIC OK GUYS

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Peenmaster posted:

In my attempts to find instructions to de-yellow my incredibly yellowed Famicom, I stumbled across this. Has anyone taken this approach? If so, after removing the decals and whatnot with a heat gun and razor, how did you manage to get them re-fitted?

I would love to bring my Famicom back to it's original glory, but if I have to choose between a yellow Famicom, and one without any decals, I'll choose the yellow.

We pretty much all keep suggesting this because it's pretty much retr0bright gel, which is also what I did except I did not thicken it and just used a bath of peroxide and Oxy Clean with sun. Mine has no stickers so that's a non issue and the metal faceplates were fine. The whole point of the thickener is that you can brush it on around the decals though, isn't it?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Peenmaster posted:

It just seems like I would never get it perfectly around the sticker, so that either there would be a yellow ring around the stickers, or I get too close, and the foam would get on it and start messing it up.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I'm pretty sure you're overthinking it. Like every other painting I have ever done, my advice to you is such : do not overload your brush, do not use too huge of a brush (you don't need a tiny one either), do not rush yourself. It's gonna be okay, buddy!

One of the other retr0bright users in here can tell you what they did specifically but yeah mine was a bath so I'm not much help with the sticker removal or anything.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Cicero posted:

As someone who just recently started following this thread, these Secret Santa presents are very intimidating.

It's making me seriously glad I didn't participate. To feel like I kept up with the gift giving here I'd have to have dug into my own collection. :sigh:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Keyboard Kid posted:

The SP / DS charger is sometimes on those 5-in-1 USB cables if you want something super cheap.

Does anyone have any leads for cheap SNES batteries? On Digikey they're around $1 when you buy a bunch, which is more expensive than eBay (80 cents each). I'm looking for a large-ish quantity (can probably do 200-250), need them to be tabbed with the correct size, and don't want the holders. Obviously the eBay sellers get them cheaper from somewhere...

Also, what would be the first thing to check in a SNES cart that just doesn't load (it's Ninja Gaiden Trilogy :sigh:)? The only thing I see to easily replace is a capacitor. Nothing looks wrong with the board, and it's not a cleaning issue.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=CR2032

They're just CR2032s and Mouser is the best so yep.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I figure you guys would be swell people to ask : decent AV switch that will do more than 4 ports? I currently have a 4 port one that I've been using since like 2000 and it's still fine, it's just lacking because I hate swapping everything out all the time.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

What kind of AV switch? Meaning, what kind of ports? S-video, etc.?

There's not many that do more than 4. I usually end up having to daisy chain them or if your TV has 2 inputs, have 1 selector on one and 1 on the other .

edit: Uncle Jenkins, do you do art for a living? That is incredible!

Standard composite is pretty cool by me, I don't have mods on anything for upscaling and all that fancy poo poo you guys do and my TV handles inputs for the more current poo poo I have pretty well. I just figured there had to be SOMETHING that did more than four, but if not I can daisy chain and all... it's just not a very PRETTY solution.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Is there some way I can pay for more private messages? I have a bunch I don't want to delete (important info) but this 50 message limit is a bit...limiting :haw:

On the back of your TV, how many composite inputs is there?

Have to count when I get home. Not really sure off the top of my head! But thanks for the responses, anyway. I probably have at least 2 so I wouldn't necessarily have to daisy chain, I was just hoping there would be a single box I can just hook up instead of having several switches floating around. I'll let you know, though!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

Considering that stuff like Saint's Row 3 was released in America to much praise on the PS3, 360, and PC. You would think that anything below that in terms of graphic violence and absurdity would be fine. Also NOA/NOJ apparently contributed alot of funding to Bayonetta 2. If it's even at the same level as the original it's probably going to have alot of stuff that Nintendo games never really had before. Then again they announced only being able to buy M rated titles form their E-Shop after 11pm.

So I really don't think anything in Earthbound and it's sequels wouldn't even come close to stuff like that. The violence they feature is nothing major at all.

Yes, Saint's Row 3 was released on the PS3, 360 and PC. But this is NOA. With NOA as a publisher no less. They don't really care what anyone has to say about Saint's Row, I think.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying don't hold your breath.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

...The power adapter. Ah. You know, the original power adapter on mine is long gone. The wire frayed until it wasn't usable anymore. Where it is now, no one knows. So I got a 3rd party adapter afterwards that can be used on multiple consoles.

That might be my problem right there.

Well, now that you've seen the error of your ways it's a relatively simple fix. If that doesn't solve it replace the 72 pin.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

H1KE posted:

Since getting the Makaimura LAI cab it set off memories of playing machines with friends and now I've got the bug. I'm hoping to add a cocktail [either pre built or build my own] and a lowboy / fatboy standup with a Gamesbox / Redbox or some other multi game JAMMA boards in them alongside anything else that comes up cheap, as well as the built ones above. A lot of people want too much for proper dedicated machines though, hence I'll build them myself. That and I don't have the widest doorways, so I figure building and painting ones myself that will be easily pulled apart again / designed to fit my doors is the best way to go.

And for everyone who keeps asking on irc how I can fit multiple machines, I've got a big family room that we currently use as a lounge room. We've decided to use the lounge room as a lounge room again, and make the family room a huge gaming room. In the end I'll be spending very close to ten grand on refurbing the room and building / collecting machines, including a 55" LED with wall mount and HTPC for movie nights. It's a long term thing, so the money I can save building my own cabs will help. We're also not moving from here, possibly forever, so that's a bonus. If I do them up and get interest from the arcade forums I visit, I'm considering cutting and selling my designs flat packed on the side. Could be a good money spinner for people who want something different.

I've also often wondered why most people don't build their own pinball, as it doesn't seem that pricey or restrictive in regards to setting one up. I've done a quick second hand parts list, found blank bumpers and flippers etc and the populated board [for something fairly simple 70's - 80's style] would run me $300-500 wired up. The biggest dollar factor may come from the controller board, but I've been thinking that over for a while and I'm yet to come up with a solution other than maybe a programmed Arduino or something, though I feel there will be other ways to do it.

Just got a reply about this machine:

He was told it's a Pac-World but the screen isn't working, though sound is, and it's missing a button. $200 plus the price of hiring a van / ute to go get it. I've never seen one before, so thinking I'll take it as it sounds like a goddamn bargain.

Oh and if I had $4950 I could grab two Daytona twins and a Sega Rally twin. That's four Daytona machines and two Sega Rally machines from my local warehouse. Resell value estimates that there is $15k odd worth of machines...

:suicide:

Hahah not even the admins at Assembler can identify it. The best guesses I've heard are all Polybius but I've still never seen a Polybius cab like that. We are all fascinated by this cabinet and urge you to buy it to find out what the gently caress it is.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

It doesn't begin, that's an Amazon listing that has been up for ages now that nobody in their right mind would ever buy.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Whaaaaat the gently caress. :psyduck:

Here I am ordering poo poo like capacitors for my TurboExpress when I should be making YouTube videos to have entire collections sent to me. Jesus.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Please don't post poo poo like this... everything about it is super creepy.

The upside is that you'd probably know what most of the games were and would have something to say about them other than, "Whee, my collection will be bigger! :3:"

But please don't because see above.

I don't know if I can handle that kind of creepy, but what really got me was she said it was on her doorstep. Her loving doorstep. No P.O. box, she just gave some dude her address. :psyduck:

Really though I just :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: so much that it's vaguely appealing while being intensely creepy. Another 20 bucks blown on batteries and battery holders for the SNES carts...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I just wanted to say that Console 5 actually treated me very well as far as ordering and shipping goes. 20 batteries, 20 battery holders, a replacement cap kit for my TurboExpress so I didn't have to part it out on Mouser because I barely know what the gently caress about sorting through all of those caps and a replacement DC adapter for the TE for $24 shipped, placed order on Friday and got tracking number almost immediately, arrived on Monday. Well packed and came with an Atomic Fireball that I promptly gave to someone else because man I hate those things but it made someone else happy.

Would gladly do business with again A+++

I only wish they had stocked a solder sucker or two because then I wouldn't be waiting for one to show up from the magical wilds of Hong Kong.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Earthbound's combat can be a slog if that's not really your thing but the story is just so good.

Actually I think the same about Final Fantasy VI but Earthbound is very unique in its charms.

vv The story in and of itself is pretty basic but the world built to support it is, indeed, unique. Saturn Valley coffee time. :3:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 9, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

OK, moderately annoyed that my battery holders are too high to reasonably use without putting excessive pressure on the PCB when I close the SNES cart. Anyone have suggested part numbers for battery holders that I can actually solder to a PCB without an ugly jumper wire mod? I can move pins around if I have to, but the height on this one is a deal breaker.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Man we can get 6 pages full of discussion on how to mod a NES to run on HDMI/upscalers/videos/Trinitrons/whatever and I can't even get a battery holder part suggestion. :(

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

yeah that's what I just spent this whole time looking for because I couldn't remember who posted it and loving 97 pages of this poo poo

S8421-45R is the part number

however

that looks like some kind of actual flatmount battery holder that has to be modified to actually fit in the pads?

I barely know what the gently caress I'm doing to be honest with you.

vv and yet none of them ever prevented my enjoyment of the game

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 10, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Please excuse the Instagram, but I just wanted to share my new acquisition... a strange Russian Play n' Watch style handheld called Autobahn (I think, anyway). Date on the back is 1989. I love it. It even has the little metal arm on the back for standing.

Wait no I finally found something I think it's called Autoslalom maybe, possibly by a company named Electronika... either way it's swell.

SUCCESS it is Autoslalom by Elektronika so now I actually know what batteries this son of a bitch takes. LR44 or SR44! :buddy:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 12, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Elektronika actually specialized in pirated Soviet versions of Game & Watch titles. What you have is not one of their Nintendo knock-offs but I suspect that it's still not original. The case, of course, is directly taken from the Game & Watch widescreen series. It's a very cool find.

It was $18 shipped from Czechoslovakia :buddy:

Also thank you for providing slightly more information about Elektronika than I had before because I'm really just kind of in love with my Soviet Play n' Watch wannabe. :3:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I know. I get my hopes up every time I see SOS for just a moment before I realize it's Sink or Swim.

Speaking of packages, I just got a package today from the mysterious east:

Going from top to bottom, right to left as is the only correct way to review the contents of Japanese packages...

• Yoshi's Island
  • Kamaitachi no Yoru
  • Gegege no Kitaro
  • Super Gussun Oyoyo
  • Antarctic Adventure
  • Super Monkey Adventures
  • F1-Race
  • Seikima II :rock:
  • Star Wars (the crazy one that never came out in the US)
  • Tokimeki Memorial
  • Densha de Go!
  • Densha de Go! 64
  • Child Rearing Quiz
  • Michigan: Report From Hell
  • Pac-Land
  • Game Center CX DVD Set 9

Not a bad haul, I think...

I really want a copy of Michigan : Report from Hell and I see that you went on a general GCCX binge of which I am also jealous. Kosodate Quiz My Angel and Densha de Go! :allears:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

zenintrude posted:

That lacquer looks... gross.

Don't know why, but's making my skin crawl.

The NES doesn't look as bad as the SNES but I am NOT a fan of that orange to white fade - it just looks unfinished and that gloss is so thick it looks like it'd be slimy if you touched it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

Not only that but the NES is using the Rockstar Grand Theft Auto font. Also going by the floor there's a real good chance it's one of those people who modeled their room after the Set of the live action segments for Super Mario Super Show.

It's a mass produced sticker available in a Hot Topic near you.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Super-Mushroom-Sticker-96-326/dp/B000NSF8FQ

Or just on Amazon, whatever.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

I enjoy checking out other's retro game setups as it's usually such a challenge to keep it all looking even vaguely tidy. Thought I'd share mine as well.

I'm fortunate enough to have a whole room to spare just for my retro games (and other nerd stuff) but even so it's crammed full. Not pictured below are another couple book cases filled with the cases for the current gen games.

You either ARE The Daily Robot or you like his work A LOT. If you ARE him, hello fancy seeing you here, but if not I hope you shared this photo with him! Because I will if you didn't, haha.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

I am not the Daily Robot and in fact wasn't even aware of who it was. The pictures were a gift from a friend actually. I liked them a lot and they go nicely with the room so I hung them there. I originally had them in the level select screen configuration but had to give up the vertical wall space.

http://the-daily-robot.tumblr.com/

He liked the picture so much he posted it to his blog! Also to anyone else interested in having awesome prints (I have a few that need frames m'self). He's a swell dude.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, the only kind of expensive retro thing that I have is Earthbound. I bought it out of curiosity from a Game Trader for right around $100 around three years ago having never played it. I wasn't really impressed with it, but I'm torn between selling it for barely more than what I paid for it (I don't even know how to go about doing it having never used SAmart or ebay) or just hanging onto it, hoping it appreciates in value.

Who knows, maybe I'll give it another try later on and get hooked, but to be honest I felt like it was clunky, and I had to grind for the first boss kid in the first town. Not really enticing if that's a taste of grinding in the later game stuff. Plus there's always the :tinfoil: possibility of the battery failing after spending 25 hours on it or something.

If by "barely more than I paid for it" you mean "almost double what I paid for it". You're in the retro gaming thread, get a bit and solder a new battery in that sucker.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I highly recommend waiting on speculation at this point due to Itoi's recent tweets regarding Mother re-release or localization. It's vague but there's really no point debating whether or not it'll happen until more information regarding that becomes available. There's not that much music to change and they could be doing it. They might not. We'll see? Either way it definitely won't be a new entry into the series, that is concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/
http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-music-similarities/

can the discussion be done now because seriously every time this comes up it goes on for like two pages and never progresses

• Locked thread