Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
hey hamburglar could you buy this, it apparently has multiple playchoice 10 boards in the lot http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piles-of-Ar...=item4abadc3231

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

madpanda posted:

For scart switches there is a middle ground between the lovely plastic grey ones and the expensive as hell shinybow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hama-Scart-Switch-Box-AV-100S-Silver-/350630494199?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a334bff7

I have the metal version of this and it works great. Someone in IRC was talking about hama switches also.

I personally wouldnt pay 46 for that, I remember paying much less for the same one a year or so ago. The hama switch people talk about online a lot is different:

you can get this on amazon.de or the uk site (if you live in the uk). I bought multiple to make up for the shipping cost, so i might have one or two available whenever I decide to sell stuff for christmas cash.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

Emulation can't reproduce... that.

emulators with hlsl support can. I don't know why you would but you can push it to that level of degradation if you want.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

Obsessively rearranging my little game corner again

Please Add A Cabinet Backing

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Is there any where to buy this? I tried to wire everything so you can't see the wires but it's nearly impossible. I was going to do black oak tag but if there's a better solution, I'd like to hear it!

I bought wood from lowes (whatever one is appropriate for indoor, and stainable, and not that thick,) stained it dark brown, then screwed onto the back of the cabinet. I cut holes in each cubby and put one of those gromett kinda things that go into desks in the back to route cables up, and glued cable tie mounts to the back side of the cabinet.

If i did it again I'd probably use the cable routing holes with the black brush attached to it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
its short for bideogames

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tvb posted:

:siren:One week left to sign up for Retro Gaming Secret Santa!:siren:

Go here for details, you obsolete technology-loving nostalgia whores. You could end up getting the very same Christmas present you got over 25 years ago!

quote:

- Visit THIS LINK HERE

This is not a link

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't really get the angle I want when cleaning if I'm stuck just swabbin with a q tip.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Welp better sell my extra pc10 ppu and mod kit thats been sitting on my desk for a year.

edit: oh god Drakon stop posting everywhereeeeeeeeeeee

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 27, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm a bit confused here. Did someone manage to reverse engineer the RGB PPU so we can stick it in actual consoles? I'm reading a bunch about system redesigns and crap and some stuff that sounds like NES on a chip. Someone help me out here because I'm getting a bit ....excited.

The second guy did some test c# code rendering the image from a save state, and is trying to do the same in an fpga now, connected to the ppu socket of a vs board.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 28, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Panic Restaurant posted:

So here's my PS2 component setup report, which I've got set to YPbPr now. From what I can tell, the PS2 system menu looks gorgeous and smooth. PS2 logo when loading the games looks sharp as hell as well. However, when I get into the games I've been testing, things tend to go downhill. Romancing Saga is very blocky and overly pixelated to the point of being straight up jagged (it's extra noticable on text), and Genji is blurry to the point where it's difficult to play. For the hell of it, I popped in Metal Slug Anthology as well and that looked pretty good actually. Is it possible I'm just picking bad game choices or being dense in some other manner? I've been running Gamecube games through component on a Wii, and original Xbox games through component as well, and those both look good, so I'm baffled! If it wasn't obvious I'm kind of new to the whole image quality thing. :shobon:

Thinking about it after the fact, is it possible that setting the PS2 to 16:9 is distorting the image? I doubt many of these games were designed with that aspect ratio in mind.

It's not a huge deal as I've got a perfectly good 60GB PS3, but I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here, because it makes no sense for the composite image to be more pleasing to my eyes than the component. :psyduck:

Don't certain games need you to hold a button or some poo poo to put it in progressive scan mode? You probably should consult each game for progressive scan / widescreen settings.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

and these fpga things can recreate the rgb ppu perfectly?

If the developer can program it correctly and deal with whatever issues real world hardware will bring, sure! People have made entire NES systems in an fpga - at least one of the everdrives uses one. Someone did something very similar for the ti99/4a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UPTGMtbomU

That first guy looks like hes taking original components (cpu and ppu) and remaking an NES out of that (new sound and video amps, top loading, etc).

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 28, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I heard negative things about the wd-40 method of shinying up your genesis, but i forgot where.

I used armor-all on a 4 switch atari 2600 and it looked wonderful though.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

oval office AND PASTE posted:

It was cheap and unwanted when I found it, and it looks fine today.

I'd be more concerned about breathing in whatever the hell Armor-All is.

Its for car interiors. Most of my cleaning just involves wiping down with a swiffer duster these days.

I love buying "as is" SNES systems on eBay because it's dirt cheap and 99% of the time it's just a broken fuse.

feels good to wash your console, brah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7W_k6P9b9k

al-azad posted:

This is my favorite one. It's for that bullshit game Bayou Billy. He basically tells you how to cheese the gently caress out of it while sounding like a middle aged white guy commentating on a rap video.

"Don't forget the ugly stick. Move into this corner and you've got it made."

my favorite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcXPtYa2NZQ

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Anyone following the libretro project?

The developers are taking emulation cores from the most popular/accurate emulators and turning them into libraries. These libraries all have identical feature sets and accept standardized parameters.

Right now, there are a few ugly 'frontends' here and there and it doesn't give you a very good impression of what's possible, like, say, hooking these up to XBMC.

Right now, at best, XBMC can only 'launch' another program, and restore itself when the program closes. But imagine, playing SMB3, then pressing the Home button on your remote control and having the XBMC UI seamlessly appears over it (like the EPG on your digital cable box, or like XBMC already does with videos and music visualizations). You queue up a different playlist, then press the Home button again to return to your game.

gently caress.

They used the wii port for a charity run a few months ago. Interesting. Though the gx stuff did similar and looked better.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

I, personally, find that an incredibly welcome upgrade from component video on CRT's

composite. upgrade from composite.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
how did your friend beat it up that bad

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My SS stuff in packed up and the label is printed. It will be sent out monday whoever you are.

Also my secret santa sent me stuff and I got it this week. Its pretty cool!

Move the gently caress over Wii U

I think the box text is Thai and the console text is Cyrillic?

I also got this stuff which is pretty cool. The handheld is a famiclone and has 80 games or so (including Angry Brids 3 and Fast Bros II). His wife makes the perlers.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got my turbo everdrive deluxe today

Now i just need an actual pc engine

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

From poking around both sites where they're available, it looks like you can't add it to cart at all if it's out of stock.

A more specific SD2SNES question: there was discussion about a potential revision in future that would offer SuperFX support. What I'm not sure of, is if this meant there was a present-but-non-working SuperFX chip in the SD2SNES, and it would just need a firmware update, or if this would need an entirely new SD2SNES board.

It has an fpga, which he uses to emulate various special snes enhancement chips. superFX (and in the distant future, sa-1) are more complicated, so support for those is not available yet. When they do get supported, you'll just do a firmware update on your sd2snes and be good to go

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

the_lion posted:

Also interested in the genesis or master system flash carts, anyone had any experience with them?

If you want back up ram cart functionality (and a bunch of other random little things), get the mega everdrive. Otherwise, get the everdrive MD.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nope :( Unfortunately the jailbars actually get worse with the composite mod (it makes them stick out more).

No? Its not gone but the consensus was that it was an overall improvement.

(don't take hamburglars advice on vertical lines or where / if to wire the csync or composite video lines on console mods, thanks)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

Do the model 1 and model 2 genesi use the same power brick? I just got given two model 1's with no power bricks. But no stickers on the bottom for voltage.

no

http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/Ho...22_aa-s95j.html

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Just won a copy of Mischief Makers off Ebay for four bucks. :woop: Now I have an excuse to hook up the old 64 with my still perfect controller. :smug: But speaking of N64 analog sticks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8rLSz64XQ

Yup, he did that too. How are the replacement N64 sticks though? Is it worth destroying a GC controller for?

You can buy replacement n64 control sticks that are modeled after gamecube ones, and then use the atmel controller (the one that the replacement uses sucks).

Or just buy the adapter on raphnet.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Yeah I just saw fatpat's post after I edited my post the second time. Guess it's time to start saving! :v:

my wallet noooooo :negative:

You probably should read fudoh's guide as there are a lot of nice ones out there that can be had for a fraction of the xrgb mini's cost, though they are all old and hard to find other than scouring ebay.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
nmh/nmh2 don't use motion control plus at all.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would take them apart and clean the contacts under the buttons with rubbing alcohol + a qtip and clean out any other gunk you see on the buttons. Make sure its all dry and reassemble. If that doesn't work, I'd probably just go looking for another set of genesis controllers, they are pretty common.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That looks like a d-terminal cable (same thing). If you just want to scale psp games there are cheaper options though (how much was the discounted xrgb3). Lenkeng has two psp scalers, the lkv7000/8000

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 23, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

What's the cheapest method of getting a SNES to run on a VGA monitor? Is this a waste of my money/time? I have a really nice and very large Vaio Trinitron CRT from 1997 or something I'd rather use instead of getting a second TV.

http://bit.ly/Y3YM2V

(sorry for the shortened eBay link I'm on a phone)

im pretty sure thats just designed for getting a cctv on a vga monitor, I don't recommend it.

the gbs cga to vga scaler on ebay, and appropriate cabling (an rgb SCART cable for the snes, and a sync stripper of some kind) is probably the cheapest option, especially for a crt. retro_console_accessories hasn't relisted her stuff yet so I can't give you urls for some of it. arcadeforge has a sync stripper and there are other cabling stores like retrogamingcables, but thats more $$$

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 23, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i dont see them on ebay for some reason, but they have a link to their alibaba page on the site. the 8000 does hdmi out (720/1080p) and comes with all the cabling you need.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

I think lizardlick pretty much went out of business a few months ago and burned a lot of people with unfulfilled orders.
The site doesn't even exist anymore. Get parts from paradise arcade or focusattack

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Keyboard Kid posted:

No, it's not really noticeable (that's about half a frame if I'm not mistaken). Using USB or anything similar will introduce significantly more lag. But if you're doing this for emulation and worried about response time, why not use a CRT?

luckily, this just came out (still being tested but its p nice): http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=212

if it turns out at least as good as the smtt tests, it will be trivial to just take this to your local best buy.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

e: Our new LG plasma TV also has an RF input. What the gently caress?

ota digital

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, if you go for ugc, you have to go all the way and get the inserts as well. They are impossible to differentiate from any sort of distance otherwise.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can physically mod it to move the power plug wherever you need it, I believe I did that on mine.

There are also sata versions you can buy from dx or somewhere like that, without network functionality

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 29, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kreeblah posted:

The first thing I noticed was that they're using RF output and I was sad.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME? :negative:

Thats how I feel every time I see that every hdtv in every business establishment is being fed a 4:3 composite image squashed and stretched.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PS1 games can't output to component video. Best you can do is S-Video. (Which your PS2 component cable should have as well, and if not you can get one that does for reasonably cheap).

wrong wrong wrong wrong

Your tv is to blame, it isn't handling 240p over component correctly (putting the 240 lines into the top half of the screen.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

I believe every ROM cart does, even simple compression like ZIP has ridiculous processor overhead requirements. The full collection of ROMs is 24 gigs but a quick poke-around suggests getting it down to 16 should be feasible if you don't care about trainers/hacks and the like.

Use the no-intro set.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got my cheetahmen II kickstarter thing in last week. looks real nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Raider posted:

As a last soldering question for the moment, what's a good model of solder sucker? Ideally not too pricy for something that will definitely work, but I have no idea.

drat, I forgot all about this, or I would have contributed! Is it still possible to get boxed copies?

maybe? the buy now link does not work on the site. You might check all the updates on the kickstarter

• Locked thread