Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Time to christen this amazing thread with the first haul-post:

105€ for the whole lot via eBay (that Terranigma :swoon:). The guy didn't even advertise the Zelda map which is worth like 10€ by itself; probably the best lot I got so far, although that might change tomorrow (spoilers!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

midge posted:

The idea of a boxed set console coming with an adaptor to play games from a handheld is blowing my loving mind. What loving parent would be "Sure Jimmy, I'll fork out $300 for you to play 6 Golden Coins on my brand new 22" screen!"

Those sets are loving ubiquitous, too; pracically every boxed SNES I get is that set. To be fair, it also comes with Super Mario World (and also it seems to be the reason why Super GameBoys are like 1€ everywhere.)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

I think yoshi story and chrono trigger should be god tier in the snes, especially Yoshi Story that really pushed the console to its limit.

A it nitpicky, but you're talking about Yoshi's Island; Yoshi's Story was the lovely N64 game for babby. Also Terranigma belongs into God-tier but if you are going to post a screenshot for every game it's going to get really loving huge and cluttered.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Boxed Terranigma with guide. I hate you so much, I cannot even express it properly. :arghfist::(

Yea, I can't believe I scored it that cheaply (it was a proper auction, ran out on a Tuesday morning at 10am though), Terranigma alone is worth over half the price of admission. I'm getting another SNES and change as well as two GameBoys and some games tomorrow so get hype accordingly.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Robolizard! posted:

I personally wouldnt pay 46 for that, I remember paying much less for the same one a year or so ago. The hama switch people talk about online a lot is different:

you can get this on amazon.de or the uk site (if you live in the uk). I bought multiple to make up for the shipping cost, so i might have one or two available whenever I decide to sell stuff for christmas cash.

Going to second this, although they have recently become unavailable here in Germany; the last one I got, I had to buy used off of eBay classifieds. They are, however, amazing.

Economy Clown Car posted:

Terranigma

Somewhat rare, and I believe completely PAL only. If anyone can correct me on this I would be happy to hear! It has wonderful music and visuals and plays like a more robust and stat driven link to the past with less swords and more spears.

It is extremely rare in English and seems to go for over 100GBP cartridge only at least; there don't ever seem to be more than five on ebay.co.uk at the same time. The German big box release (see my haul on the first page ITT) is significantly more common and only expensive (as in, 50-80€ depending on condition) due to the guide book and box. German cartridge only is about 10-15€. And yes, it's PAL/JP only and absolutely marvelous.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 6, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

If you want to start a "book club" for retro games (and I think that's a really cool idea), keep it on a fixed schedule and start the vote for the next one the same time the current game starts. There are a ton of websites that let you setup your own polls quickly and embed them on your own website.

I do think you could get away with longer games on a monthly schedule; it seems like a good sweet spot between score attack games you can beat in two hours and longer games that take 10-20h to complete. Lock polling a week or so before it starts so people have time to acquire the game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

That's a Boa Constrictor (altough it's not doing a very good job constricting), The Internet has just ruined your mind.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

No, it's just Japan. That caption pretty much confirms it. Especially the part at the end where it outright says "SEXY!"

Can you translate the whole thing because my Japanese isn't good enough for that and I can't make out where it's supposed to say that.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Doug Dinsdale posted:

193: The constrictors slithered and bound Asha’s (sp) snug body. Gulp… Sexy…

Thanks. I am still in the stage of learning Japanese where I think I should be able to make out all Katakana because most of them stem from English and I couldn't make out what the hell iroppoi was supposed to stand for. I was expecting to find セクシー somewhere instead. :v:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 9, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Trip report! So I was at the Retrobörse in Bochum, Germany today and while it was pretty much what I expected (picture the commons of a dorm stuffed with people trying to sell old video games), the prices were pretty ridiculous and that means this was the last time I went there. Now I get that stuff costs more when you go to these events and I absolutely don't mind paying for the benefit of seeing the item in person first; however, when I say ridiculous, I mean "60€ for a cartridge only Kirby Superstar that you can get for 25€ on eBay" ridiculous.

This was made all the worse by the fact that I collect boxed and the salespeople there marked those up even more. I could live with that, if their poo poo at least was in good shape, but except for one guy's booth, most of the boxed games were just as hosed up as if I got them online. At least that guy's games really did look nice though, and he charged reasonable prices so I got these for 40€:

I'd rate all of those at Near Mint so I am satisfied. Still, considering that they even charged admission (5€), I'll take my money elsewhere when it rolls around again in half a year.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

They truly are the Disney of videogames.

Disney and Nintendo both make a ton of money off of their old poo poo because they keep releases "limited" and pump them out every five years with minor improvements (in Disney's case) or for a new console (in Nintendo's case). There is a reason why Nintendo's IPs are worth as much as they are and the comparison you're drawing to Disney is more appropriate than you think.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

That's awesome, thanks for sharing zari-gani! Speaking of Earthbound, just saw a boxed copy in relatively good condition close for 360€ on ebay.de; I didn't think the craze had reached Europe just yet but there you go.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I know it has never been released here, but on the other hand a lot of Germans collect PAL (or German) only, so I expected it to close around 200€ but not the literal equivalent of $500. Very eager to see that particular market crash.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Yes, you can use a light gun on a Trinitron.

I wish I had the space for one. :(

Depends, mine (PAL) is a 100 Hz model I think, which would mean no lightguns. I didn't test it out yet though and I can't find the manual for the exact serial number online.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Cubes go for like 10€ over here, unless they are much more expensive in the US for some reason just toss it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Search for completed (as in, sold) listing on eBay. I can't help you further than that because we're in different markets but in Germany, I've noticed that the prices at Amazon in general are higher (but still sell), whereas boxed games profit from the ability to post a photo on eBay.

If you can, buy big lots and sell everything you don't want, I got a whole SNES with a dozen games just because it came with a boxed Terranigma and after selling all the crap I didn't want I actually got the game for free.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

(Amazon Prime is good for all Amazon sites)

Are you serious? I can get Amazon Prime in Germany and get free shipping from .com and .co.jp? That can't be right.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Yea that's the way I remembered it, he made it sound different though. And I am pretty sure the rates to Germany are the same as to the UK, which means for a DS game (for example) there is a base fee of like $20 for the order itself and then $3 per item. Hard to make it worth it without buying a dozen games at a time.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I really, really, really, really hope GameStop Germany eventually does the same sale. Goddamn.

EC posted:

Not sure where else to ask, but this thread seems like a good fit. Does a Wii component cable work on a Gamecube? My wife got me a N64 and Gamecube for my birthday, along with a handful of games, and I'd like to use the component cable I have before trying to search one out.

Noooooooooope. The GameCube component cable has a few proprietary circuits in the plug that they didn't put into the console instead so enjoy paying out the rear end for one (also it wouldn't fit).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm crazy late to the party, but I just picked up an iphone. Any good apps for keeping tracks of retro collections? I'm specifically wondering if those 4 dollar ones for nes, snes, etc... are worth it, or if there are any better free ones.

It's called a spreadsheet and it's free. Don't waste your money on apps, waste it on bideo.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

And that works fine from home (I just keep a list in word), but if I'm out at the store and want to do a quick check on the go to remember if I have something, it's not so great.

I use a Google spreadsheet that synchs to my phone, if you're already using a Word doc it's literally a minute of your time to set it up.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

AwwJeah posted:

Can anybody tell me where I can buy those protective covers to stick onto my SNES cartridges? I have two games without them and since there's always one game in the console, one other game is always exposed to the elements with no protection! :ohdear:

For that matter, is there a solution for protecting the bottom of my Genesis cartridges?

Neither Japan nor Europe ever had those and we all managed to survive.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Holy poo poo the part showing F-Zero killed me :v:

Also, what's up with Super Mario World saying "Super Mario Brothers 4"? Is that a euro/jpn thing? Beta version? I've only ever played the US version.

The Japanese release was subtitled Super Mario Bros. 4.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Mods namechange to "Bowser nabs the Princess (again!)"

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Chrono Trigger cart only is like $3, RPGs are their sports games.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Archon got banned and probated for like a month.

For talking about his anime collection.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

al-azad posted:

He should have sent it to the VGA for an official grade. It would have doubled the value to be in a plastic case with a fake number on it.

I wonder how long it'll take until there is (more of) a market in making counterfeit sealed games and selling them to people who won't open them. If you could manage to create a believable Earthbound box and get it rated, even a manifacturing price of like $500 would be less than half of what it would fetch I bet. No one is who buys these ever opens them.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I wonder if his reasoning for pricing it at 45k was "if I make it too cheap, people will realize it's a fake!" :downs:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Which also reminded me I've sent a bunch of free stuff out to people and only one person replied saying they received it which was for the SLG 3000 scanline generator. Did no one else receive their stuff from me or something?

If you ever ended up shipping me a couple of tools, they haven't arrived yet; international post and all.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Ah yeah out of all the people I sent free stuff to you were the only one I wasn't able to, only because I can't find the drat gamebit that opens the carts. I have the one that opens the Nintendo consoles and Genesis games, but I can't find the one that opens the Nintendo games. I know it's in my home somewhere; as soon as I find it I will mail it out to you. Hopefully you are not waiting on them for a project :ohdear:

I am actually waiting for it to clean my cartridges but I'm not fuzzed, gift horse and all!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

All of this. It's just much easier to do and I like my things neat. Also I like to check out the inside of carts I bought and I do have to change the occasional battery.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

HKR posted:

:siren:RAKUTEN FREE SHIPPING (Up to ¥4,000) ON ORDERS ¥10,000 and above:siren:

Thank you so much.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

jyrque posted:

I'm currently saving up for a trip to :japan: Japan :japan: next March so it wouldn't make sense to splurge a rather sizable chunk of my travel budget when I could spend that same money for a similar deal on site.

This but my trip is in May and I've decided against buying anything now since it's cheaper on the streets and you get to see the item before hand.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Zarikov posted:

my retro-gaming related glass art!

Sorry I'm singling you out, but I've always wondered what's keeping Nintendo et al. from telling all the people on Etsy to stop making money with their trademarks.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

See I considered that, but then try to sell something with Mickey Mouse on it and see what happens. I guess they just don't give enough of a poo poo whereas Disney does.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

Does anyone know if the german version of Terranigma on SNES has an English text option?

It doesn't, neither do any of the other German big box versions. There's a reason why the German cartridge is like 15€ and the English one is 100GBP.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I've started rebuilding my Wii collection (getting a WiiU) so heads-up if you're doing the same or consider Wii to be retro now: People are selling their Wii collections for hella cheap. I am regularly seeing whole consoles with like 6 AAA games and other junk for 100€ or less on our Craigslist, going to start buying these, picking a few games I like and reselling the rest on Amazon et al. Wiis aren't in high demand anymore but the consoles still fetch 40-50€ and the rest sells as well as ever.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Gameboy games is best gift if you ship across the ocean, or get them weird (small) hardware or controllers or stuff. I'd be psyched as hell if I finally got an e-reader, those were never even released in the EU.

*edit: My santee is also getting random merch and swag that I have acquired over the years just because I imagine people love finding that stuff. :shobon:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 27, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I got a new lot in today! Amazingly, all of these are not only CIB, most of them I'd rate Mint - Near Mint as well. The only thing that's not in amazing condition is, ironically enough, the GBA itself which has a couple tiny scratches on the screen. Now guess what I paid (via eBay classifieds):

70€

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Old batteries will eventually leak and I've seen GameBoy/NES era games that had visible traces of battery acid on the inside of the cartridge. Someone entertained the idea of that acid eventually eating through the plastic (and the box) of all those neatly sealed VGA-rated mint copies of games in ten years' time but I don't know if that holds any merit. It would be funny as hell to see, though.

As for your question, if you want to be supersure, you might want to consider it. Then again, Earthbound's bubble is bound to pop at some point, the game's not even that good. I'd be surprised if it still sells for more than $100 in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Kilazar posted:

But honestly, I do think it will retain it's value. It's only going to get rarer as time goes on and units die to accident or just flat age. Unless the retro fad finally fades, and all the pricing returns to 6-10 years ago values.

It might get rarer (there's still the theory of people holding enormous amounts of copies as an investment so those could end up increasing supply) but scarcity is not the only thing increasing price, especially not with games. It's a cult game now and might stay that way, or its following might latch onto something else and it might lose its standing. It could also (extremely long shot with Earthbound, granted) be re-released in some fashion which has crashed the price of other games. Or someone realized that no game is worth $300 and people just stop paying insane prices.

I'm willing to assume that Earthbound is more of a trend right now than anything and there are a ton of ways a trend like this can end. In a couple years' time, the whole SNES era might go out of style as the kids who grew up with the PS2/Xbox/GCN grow up, come into money and discover their flavor of nostalgia, while we old fart have amassed our collections and look at different systems. I think we're seeing this with the NES, where except for a few very, very rare exceptions, games got cheaper across the board in the last five years due to saturation of the market.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 29, 2012

• Locked thread