Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I found the OP a fun read, but I'm new to all of this so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
My girlfriend texted me in a panic, saying her Super Mario World save is gone but mine is still there.

Is this a sign that the battery is dying? Or just a weird random glitch due to it being an old game.

I've never had a battery die on a cartridge before, so I'm not sure what the signs are (if just one game deletes, or if it's an all-or-nothing thing)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I hooked up my SNES to a lovely CRT and was still blown away by how much better it looked than emulation. I forgot that I had gotten used to things being kind of lovely and blurry, I guess

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah like, I hooked up my SNES to a lovely tiny TV/VCR combo we had sitting around and it still looked amazing compared to emulation. I'll get a nicer CRT when I have the space, but for now this is fine.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I just bought a lot of 4 SNES games, worked out to $7 each including shipping: Star Fox, F-Zero, Pilotwings & Stunt Race FX

I assume this begins the quick decent into me burning all my money on SNES games

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Haha yeah, Stunt Race FX wasn't great, but I have fond memories of it for some reason. I look forward to crushing that nostalgia once I pop it in again.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I've been looking on and off for F-Zero on ebay the past couple weeks, it always seems to be around $8-10 (including shipping to Canada). A local video game store had it for 20, which I laughed at. So I don't mind the $7 shipped I paid too much.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I used to have all the Nintendo Powers that had those comics, as well as the Zelda ones. They were pretty fun.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So since vintage game stores are generally way overpriced, where do you guys buy your games? ebay?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Peachstapler posted:

Have you tried SA-Mart?

Yeah I've seen some good stuff on there, unfortunately the stuff I'd like had been scooped up already.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm doing a quick search on ebay... do old issues of Nintendo Power really sell for $8-15 each?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Kilazar posted:

Yup. I was thinking about building up my old NP collection. And I was really shocked at how much they are going for. Especially the ones that still have the posters.

Well I'm going to go kill myself now, I had from issue 32-125, most of which were in great condition.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
You could buy the loose cart and then one of those plastic replacement cases with the art? Or does it have to be the original huge box

Edit: That reminds me, when I was a kid I had Super Mario wallpaper on my walls. It was amazing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I'm curious, anyone have any experience with the SNES games Super Black Bass / Bassin's Black Bass?

I used to love them when I was a kid, never had a fishing game I liked as much as those. I'm looking on ebay, and SBB is like half the price of the sequel, BBB. I am curious if it's a matter of BBB being that much better than the original, or just a rarity thing. Both games are kind of blending together in my mind.

VVV wow I forgot all about Nightshade. I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power, I think they had a few really detailed features on it.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 8, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Kilazar posted:

*edit* Also, for score attack games, players should post pics of their scores for bragging rights :D.

You have to include the system in the photo though so we can see that there's no Game Genie plugged in :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is there any reason why SNES games on Half.com seem so cheap? There are a few games for like .75 that go for $5+ on ebay.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

midge posted:

How are you getting it to ship to Canada?!

Oh they don't ship to Canada? I haven't actually bought anything yet, I was just looking.

Son of a bitch, drat you internet! haha

Edit: Seems like they do ship to Canada... kind of?

http://pages.half.ebay.com/help/seller/fulfill_can.html?helpsection=fulfill_can#toc-02

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 8, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Wow, small world. I've still got one of those Nintendo branded TV stands from the picture. I'm using it as my bedside table. Now that I know they exist I kinda wished I'd have bought the matching Nintendo stand back in the day.

When I was in grade 5 I had to get glasses. I picked out a super 90s pair, in retrospect, so huge and metallic. Anyway, after having them a couple weeks I looked at the inside of the arm, and sure enough there was a Nintendo logo on there. Somehow I had picked out Nintendo brand glasses without even noticing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Nintendo had facilities to take care of producing carts, they're not running off labels on their home printers and applying them.

At least I hope they're not.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
People who sell reproductions probably do something like this

http://www.4over4.com/printing/label-printing

If you're buying in bulk you can have it professionally done like this for not too much.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

To drive you didn't hold A or B, or even hold forward on the D-pad. No...you had to rock the d-pad left and right repeatedly. To go.

I played so much of that game. I was pretty good at tractor pull event.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

crazkylo posted:

So how accurate could I probably get in regards to pricing old systems through amazon/ebay?

There are a few pawn shops in my area that usually carry a few systems, I want to know if what they are asking ($35 for a genesis) is reasonable, or if I should try to talk them down even further than that?

Might as well always try haggling if you're confident in doing that. Personally I've found that ebay prices are cheaper than what I see in stores, from the little research I've done.

Like I got 4 SNES games for $7 each on ebay that are going for $15-20 in stores here.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Katana Gomai posted:

It's called a spreadsheet and it's free. Don't waste your money on apps, waste it on bideo.

What is bideo

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Kilazar posted:

Is that like a one time magazine, or a subscription? If it's a sub I need that poo poo! Can you pop a link in. I don't want to risk searching for it while at work and hitting our websense. Anytime we ping the websense a "notch" goes in our history. And they get grumpy if you get a lot of notches around here. Why they called them notches I don't know.

It's a subscription magazine from the UK. There are some great video game magazines that cost an arm and a leg here in Canada.

Edit: I generally like to get the big "collection" issues they do. It's about $30 for hundreds of pages of retro stuff.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Do those come with my subscription? Any way to get back ones? How many have there been so far? Why do we, people who generally love technology, still want paper magazines? :iiam:

I'm not sure if they're included with the subscription. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about though: https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/retro-gamer-collection-vol-6.html

I still want paper magazines because I design them for a living :unsmith:

I like magazines because they feel less disposable than websites (ironically). I'll visit a website and read recent articles, but I'm unlikely to dive back into archives. With video game magazines, I'll flip through them again and again. Especially my old ones, it's hilarious to read reviews of old games.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'd love to do design for a video game magazine. I grew up tracing covers & layouts from Nintendo Power, I guess I always wanted to be a magazine designer but didn't realize that was a job until I stumbled into it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Christmas was such a mixed bag when I was a kid. My dad would by SNES games for us, which was really nice, but he wouldn't necessarily listen to the ones we asked for and just bought whatever.

Sometimes it worked out great, like when we got Uniracers.

Sometimes it didn't, like when we got Daffy Duck's Martian Missions.

He sure had a way of getting me games I never knew existed, like Claymates. Good times.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
A friend of mine is in Japan right now, taunting me with images of his purchases

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I think he said Super Metroid was the most expensive, around $40. Chrono Trigger was cheapest at around $20.

He said there was so much cheap poo poo there, I assume if he wanted cart only he could have gotten those games for like nothing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I know it couldn't have happened, but imagine how different the SNES game market would be if all SFC games had English translation options built in.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

fatpat268 posted:

I know I said it before, but I'll say it again. You can save a lot of money by buying Japanese versions of certain games, if ebay is your only option.

I recently bought SMW, Mario Allstars, and Yoshis Island in Japanese for $21 (including shipping). If you're looking at just ebay prices, the US versions would run you double that. Same with stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, etc. Yea, you're going to miss out on some story text, but let's be honest, you're not playing these games for the story.

Yeah I've started looking into buying SFC copies of platformers and such. Wouldn't want to play Chrono Trigger that way, but I could do SMW2

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Space Harrier posted:

I have bought several Super Famicom versions of games over their SNES counterparts just because the were cheaper. Super Metroid only ran me $15, and I was pleased to discover it switches to full english.

Well that's interesting. But now that you mention it, I do remember the language controls being in the US version as well. I guess they just produced the one version and changed the default language.

Edit: I guess people are wise to this though, just looking on ebay right now and there isn't a price difference between SNES & SFC that I can see.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Ambitious Spider posted:

mine came today too. Makes me want to go back to the well. I really should hold off because I'm kind of broke and should be spending money on other people for the holidays, but... crazy cheap games! I don't know how long I can resist.

Give out crazy cheap PS2 games for Christmas, problem solved!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

As an SNES-era Squaresoft fanboy I am surprised I never bothered with Front Mission. I remember starting it up a few times and losing interest in less than a minute; what is it like?

I'm in this same boat actually. Just couldn't get into it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
That reminds me that I used to have a few sets of "Playstation Underground". Those were pretty cool, it had some unique demos & weird stuff made with that PS1 dev kit thing they released to consumers.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Every god drat time I search for a SNES game on ebay, the first listing is (for example) "Breath of Fire 2 MAGNET" buy it now for $4. It catches me every time for a second, and I think I've found some amazing deal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Code Jockey posted:

Also Breath of Fire is awesome. Made for a nice non-Square RPG back in the day, and still holds up. Maybe I'll play that next.

I remember BOF2 being really good, but the first one was a bit basic. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

PopeCrunch posted:

2 was better but gently caress me *sideways* the encounter rate was BONKERS MADNESS.

Yeah that sounds about right. I always ended up quitting before you get to the point where you can fly (I think). It's been a while.

I love the first parts of the game though. The frog city is awesome.

Edit: The puzzley bit where you have to take off all your armor and rub salt and pepper on yourself before being cooked alive was cool too.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 15, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you ever wanted a Super Wild Card DX2, here you go:

Haha wow, I haven't thought about ZIP discs in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

precision posted:

This depressing observation is brought to you by the fact that I bought Suikoden II for $7 and sold it for probably 50 cents.

Twice.

My brother and I were shopping for video games, I think it was when the PS2 first came out. There were so many copies of Suikoden 2 in the clearance bin but noooo we just HAD to have Vanguard Bandits.

We had even played Suikoden 2 and liked it. Why didn't we buy it :smith:

Of course, looking up Vanguard Bandits, it seems to be selling for lots of money too so maybe I'll sell it haha.

• Locked thread