Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
A long time ago, I promised myself I wasn't going to go all Hamburglar on my retro gaming stuff, but I'm really tempted to try and mod my NES 2 to put out better video. I have a toaster NES that outputs a decent enough picture, but it still doesn't work reliably after all my efforts to fix it. The NES 2 plays cartridges with no fuss but it just looks godawful, even by my low standards. I see a couple of methods on the internet; is there a recommended way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Composite video would be just fine for an NES 2 as far as I'm concerned, but the RF output on the thing is terrible even by RF standards.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I think the discussion of retro hardware modifications is interesting, but it's overwhelming the thread. Why not make a separate thread for building the perfect TG-16 and have another for random old game discussion?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I have bought several Super Famicom versions of games over their SNES counterparts just because the were cheaper. Super Metroid only ran me $15, and I was pleased to discover it switches to full english.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

zenintrude posted:

I irrationally want to enjoy Saga Frontier, but the game keeps pushing me away... am I dumb to want to like it?
Yes. Yes you are. There are hundreds of JRPGs out there. Pick any one of them to play instead.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I remember being at Blockbuster when they were getting rid of SNES games and passed up a $15 copy of Chrono Trigger (with the original box!) for Top Gear Rally or some poo poo. What was wrong with me?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I know I'm not the only person here who bought a sealed copy of f-Zero recently. Apparently, the players choice version is one of the most common sealed games out there. I already owned the game, but still picked up a copy for tenbux just for that new-old game smell. Plus, F-Zero kicks rear end.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Yeah, I was playing my copy of F-Zero just a couple of minutes ago. Finding a sealed SNES game was cool, but I'm not going to KEEP it sealed. Awesome games should be played!

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
No model of PS3 has Playstation 1 hardware, and ALL of them are backwards compatible with PSone games. It has always been software emulation. The original 60GB/20GB models have full PS2 hardware emulation, and the 80GB models dropped one of the chips and emulated the other.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Geeze, now you guys have me kind of worried about this gift exchange. I had always thought of "secret santa" type gifts as relatively small things, and I don't want to disappoint my giftee. So far, I've got two inexpensive things they've specifically asked for, plus a small bit of original early 90's Nintendo swag and that's it. I really hope I DON'T get a massive box of collectibles.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Kilazar posted:

I'm sick. And when I am sick, I want nothing more than to curl up in my blanket on the couch and play some SNES. However my current living room layout sucks for this, and my retro tv is in the office with my collection. And I am not moving it :(

So I was just looking around for some wireless controller options, and stumbled upon this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnmfaILCHw

Now my question, are any of you talented chaps able to do this, or have you done this? And if so, how much would it cost me to have you do this for me? That is, if it works as well as that video makes it look.

*edit* Also, were there ever any good third party wireless controllers for the ps2? Or would I have to consider this mod as well for it. I remember having a pelican wireless, but not being happy with it at all.
What's up, sick buddy? I had some bad turkey last night, so I've mostly been playing GBA on a toilet but I would recommend picking up some simple controller extension cords. Low tech, doubles my range, no lag or other weirdness.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Came back from Christmas with my family to find my secret Santa gift! Full picture post coming soon. My Santa really went balls-out on this. Some great games in the package, and one legendarily lovely one!

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Clones come up every few pages, and the consensus is always the same; they are inferior, and its not as if original consoles are expensive, so why bother?

That said, I own a Retron 3 for novelty alone, and its decent. It plays NES and Genesis games well, if a little inaccurately, but the sound quality for SNES games is garbage. The included controllers are completely useless, but it lets you use originals.

Don't get clone controllers. The build quality is universally lovely.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Happy new year, everyone! Is it too late for Christmas now?

Oh, snap! It's my SASS gift! Four mysterious game-cartridge sized envelopes. I didn't make any specific requests for my Santa- I wanted a SNES/SFC game that was a little outside the mainstream since I have almost all the big games, but not much else. These labels... is this a Gameboy Printer?

Let's start with the "friendship aid"

Inside the envelope was... more packaging and a fact sheet.

-Totally chill 2-Player game
-Bond with your friends
-No punching allowed!

It's... some kind of Tetris! The small print says it's Tetris Battle Gaiden.

The next envelope is for a Sophisticated Adult Game

-Manly game for buff men
-Sponsored by the NFL (maybe)
-Kinda fuckin tough sometimes! gently caress trains!

Tiny Toon Adventures! I've never played this one.

Next, we have a Lifestyle Coach

-Hello Space Harrier
-I have diabetes
-Is there anything special I should know before sending you these video games?

Captain Novolin! Wow, I remember reading about this one in EGM. I hear it's really lovely. I can't wait! I only hope that my Secret Santa is able to control his diabetes without the helpful advice of this game. :ohdearsass:

Finally, we've got a "Great Game"

-Sequel to hit movie
-Music composed by David Cage
-Has the best ending

Timecop! Does Timecop count as a hit movie?

I didn't post earlier because I have been playing the hell out of this pile of awesome games. Tetris Battle Gaiden has destroyed my relationship with my girlfriend permanently, so thank you for that. Totally awesome two player Tetris! I had never even heard of it before. I haven't played much Tiny Toons, but it's early 90's Konami so I'm sure it's the tits. Captain Novolin is every bit as lovely as the legends say. Don't kids with diabetes have things hard enough? Finally, Timecop is a game about kicking the hell out of an army of Barton Finks in a future warehouse, so that's cool.

Thank you, thank you, Absolutely Anything for a great Secret Santa!

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I checked my local Craigslist this morning, and am now a proud member of the Something Awful Trinitron-Havers Club! For only $20, I took home a 27" Trinitron manufactured in 2001 with S-Video and component hookups. It looks and sounds absolutely beautiful. Only catch was this guy lived in an apartment... a third floor apartment. Took a lot of time and caution to make it down without destroying my back, or the TV. Ended up sliding it a lot of the way down.

I bought a TV stand a while back, since I have been planning to get a Craigslist TV for a while. http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-tv-cart-espresso/-/A-12631540#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton I don't think it will be up to the task. The internet says the TV weighs about 110 lbs, and the stand states the max it can hold is 95 lbs. Clearly, it was made for today's wussy LCDs. Any suggestions for a cheap sturdy stand that can actually hold this thing?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Thirding the motion on banning Earthbound re-release speculation. It seems to come up every five pages. Emulate, pay inflated eBay prices, or get an Everdrive already!

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Is it really that difficult to understand why games that aren't "rare" would fetch so much money? Super Mario World is super common, but what's the first game that anyone picking up an old SNES on eBay is going to want to get with it?

It's the other camp that baffles me more. $5,000 for Air Raid on the Atari 2600? The game isn't good, has no significant historical value- it's just "rare". Same goes for Stadium Events.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Are you using a replacement AC adapter? I used a fake one briefly and had similar problems with a SNES that went away when I just switched back to the official one.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
^Yeah, I think I bought that same one. It's a piece of crap.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Well, I went on eBay and bought a Sega Master System with about 20 games for a very reasonable price. Not really sure why the hell I did that. I suppose I picked it up more as a conversation piece than something I actually want to play and I've been on a big Sega kick lately. Gives me a nice excuse to hang this kickin' rad poster up at least.

Fellow Trinitron owners- a few pages back someone was looking for details on accessing the service mode, and this page helped me make some very helpful tweaks to my 2001 Trinitron. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html.

Do these Sony flatscreens tend to have some issues with the geometry? I've had to make a lot of tweaks to mine to fix the picture; the picture was very slanted when I first plugged in, but the "tilt correction" mostly sorted things out. I then adjusted the screen size and position in the service menu to keep the edges of the picture from cutting off, but horizontal and vertical straight lines still never look quite right.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Any recommendations for must-have games for the Sega Master System? I just received mine from eBay with a pile of twenty games, including a lot of the more well known titles like Shinobi, Alex Kidd and even a CIB copy of Moonwalker. I suppose Phantasy Star is obligatory, but I really don't see myself getting into an 8-bit RPG.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Thanks for the Master System recommendations. I'll be sure to check out Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap. Looks like I can pick that up pretty easily without breaking the bank. The Fantasy Zone games are on my list too, provided I can find them cheap.

I had a few people over from work this evening to play some retro games and we had a blast; particularly with Saturn Bomberman, even though we only had two controllers. Anybody have experience with cheapo Saturn pads like this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-Saturn...=item5aec2c8d22

I'm thinking of picking up a few of these and a multitap so we can do a proper 4 player match next time. Will these controllers do the job alright? Don't want to spend too much. Alternately, anybody have a few extra Saturn pads they'd be willing to part with?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I keep impulse buying Sega crap on eBay. Really, really need to delete that app from my phone... :retrogames:

Anyways, this makes me the near future owner of a JVC X'Eye console, which unfortunately, does not include the AC adapter. An internet search reveals that the Genesis 2 power supply will power the system on and it will work, but that this is a terrible idea since the amperage is insufficient and I may potentially ruin a rare gaming console/burn my house down. Apparently, the CDX power supply is more compatible but the only one I can find for sale costs about as much as the drat X'Eye. Does the Genesis 2 at least use a common plug size if I find an adapter with the right rating?

The X'Eye is rated for 9.5v and 1.5a. So, if I buy an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-Comp...a+power+adapter and the plug fits, I should be set, right?

Space Harrier fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 4, 2013

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

flyboi posted:

It's already there around the third post :ninja:

It looks like the X'Eye is center pin positive, 9.5V and 1.5A. It also uses the genesis 2 barrel. If you want to get 1:1 you should be able to do this with a Sima SUP-60X ac adapter.

Thanks for this- I saw this model come up when I was searching earlier, so I'll definitely try to track one down.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
That's a nice Master System writeup. I just recently picked one up as well. My only real memory of the system as a child is that my neighbor had a Sega Genesis with a Power Base Converter and most of the games he had were Master System games. I definitely remember playing Alex Kidd, and what I'm pretty sure was Golden Axe Warrior. Speaking of Time Soldiers, it's one of the games that came with my Master System, and probably one of the best. So far I'm also enjoying Zillion 2, Choplifter, and the SMS version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

I also picked up a JVC X'Eye recently which functions great. I'll try to do a writeup on it in the next few days; particularly regarding an unexpectedly awesome special feature it has!

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Your mileage will vary on hooking up an SNES to an LCD based entirely on the particular TV you use. I have an older 32" Samsung that actually does a pretty respectable job without any really noticeable lag. My newer TV, however, is horrible. If you're shopping around for a new TV, be a super nerd and bring your system to the store with you.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I recently picked up a JVC X’Eye, and boy, is it one sweet piece of kit.

For those of you not familiar with it, the X’Eye is the US version of the Wondermega: a combination Genesis/Sega CD unit manufactured by JVC as part of a licensing deal with Sega. The X’Eye offers some advantages over a Sega CD+Genesis setup, but a couple of disadvantages as well. I can’t speak for how this system stacks up to the so-called “High Definition” Genesis 1, but the X’Eye has a direct composite video out, which is a night-and-day improvement over the Genesis 2 I was previously using. It also uses a single power supply, which was kind of a pain to find a replacement for. Supposedly, this system can be used with a Sega 32X as well, but it obstructs the disc drive and makes swapping discs a pain.

There is some debate over which is better- Sega’s own CD-X and the X’Eye. Both play Genesis and Sega CD games in one unit. I ‘m happy to finally resolve this debate today by pointing out this feature of the X’Eye:

That’s a standard microphone jack with volume control on the right side of the system. That’s because unlike any other Sega CD setup, the X’Eye is an awesome karaoke machine, too!

The X’Eye plays CD+G discs: the karaoke standard for dive bars around the world. So, in conclusion: JVC X’Eye = Best Genesis ever.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

flyboi posted:

WRONG WRONG WRONG

The best genesis is the Wondermega as it is the only official genesis with s-video out and the x'eye is a bastardization of it :colbert:
http://segaretro.org/Wondermega

Oh, you only THINK I forgot about the Wondermega; but the fact remains that it's a JAPANESE Mega Drive, and therefore, useless without modification. :dealwithit:

Supposedly, the X'Eye's cartridge slot is wide enough for Japanese Mega Drive games, and I have a Game Genie, so I should be hypothetically set for any import gaming I wanted to do on the thing. Only problem is that I can't think of a single thing worth importing. Golden Axe III? I was able to pad out my SNES collection a while back by picking up some imports of US released games on the cheap, but every Mega Drive game I've seen online so far is way more expensive than the US cart.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Pokemon Puzzle League IS one of the best games ever. Take Tetris Attack, then make it infinitely more annoying!

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE PREPARE FOR TROUBLE PREPARE FOR TROUBLE WHEN YOU'RE HOT YOU'RE HOT WHEN YOU'RE HOT YOU'RE HOT ad infinitum.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I somehow ended up with a pretty complete collection of Michael Jackson related videogames.

I've been on a real Sega binge lately. Previously, my collection leaned heavily towards Nintendo, but I recently picked up a Sega Master System and it's been a lot of fun to collect for. I didn't own a master system as a kid and only know one person who did, but since my first console was a Game Gear, it's bringing back some memories. I've been enjoying Alex Kidd, Shinobi, R-Type, Fantasy Zone II and Time Soldiers and am currently awaiting copies of Sonic 1 and 2 to arrive from the UK, which cost me practically nothing even though they are uncommon in the US. Admittedly, there don't seem to be all that many standout games for the master system; it's home to a lot of ports that can be better played on other hardware now. I'll probably pick up Phantasy Star at some point because it's pretty much THE game the console is famous for, but so far I can't find it for a price I want to pay.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Lencho posted:

A friend got it for me from a mexican supermarket ancient surplus.

Sure, every game in those pics is for sale. Gonna make a SA-MART thread soon with other stuff I got (the same friend gifted me an SNES with both International Superstar Soccer games and a shrinkwrapped FFVII).

I may be interested in Ys and Fantasy Zone... I've been spending way too much on Sega lately but it's hard to resist.

Also, thanks to everyone for pointing out that there are even more Michael Jackson games than I previously thought. I didn't forget about Sonic 3 but, was him writing the game's music ever confirmed by anyone credible?

Space Harrier fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 4, 2013

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I was reading a little bit about Warp's games and Kenji Eno, who recently passed away. I'm intrigued, and ready to play some weird-rear end obtuse adventure games made by a crazy person. Any suggestions on where to start? I have a Dreamcast, a modded Saturn, and a whole spindle of CD-Rs, so rarity/price isn't really a factor.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Discount Viscount posted:

In the great Genesis model differences comparisons I don't think I've seen anyone weigh in on the sound/video quality of the Sega CDX or JVC X'Eye versus the standard models. Having both a CDX and an HDG model 1 but not having bothered to hook both up for a direct comparison yet... can anyone weigh in on the CDX on these points?

I do my Genesis gaming on an X'Eye, and while I haven't yet done a direct comparison, I can definitely tell the sound balance is different than on the model 2 I was using. Can't really say if it's better or worse, but definitely a bit different. I'll have to try them out side by side later.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

You gave me a good idea with this post in that maybe we should all post pics of our duplicates/surplus/unwanted retro collection, and we can all offer up trades to one another? I know I have so much extra stuff that I will never throw out but at the same time don't feel like selling. What do you guys think?

This is a really good idea. I have a lot of little odds and ends in my collection that I don't really have a use for and I'd love to send them to somebody who actually wants them for the cost of shipping.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
What about the 32X? Doesn't having a 32X mounted on any Genesis route everything through that system's video encoder? How does that compare to the "good" Genesis?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Yeah, pretty much what you just said, BoutrosBoutros...

I just did a side by side comparison between my old Genesis model 2 (the most reviled model on the internet) and the JVC X'Eye both through composite to see if I could spot any difference. I had thought the X'Eye had a better picture initially, but looking at them both side-by-side, I really can't see much of a drat difference. All that I can say for sure is that the Model 2 was slightly louder at the same volume settings, and the colors were just slightly brighter on the model 2 as well. They both appeared about equally as sharp and otherwise played identically as far as I can tell. I wouldn't say either system was "total crap" or "great". Pretty much looked like the Sega Genesis to me.

Space Harrier fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 13, 2013

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Can anybody come up with an example of this horrible "rainbow banding" problem on some Genesis systems besides on that one waterfall in Sonic? That's the only example I ever see of it, and I'd hardly say certain models of the system are better because "that one waterfall in Sonic that you pass for one second looks slightly better."

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I think a separate retro-trade thread would be a great idea. It's getting hard to keep track of who is trying to show off a haul and who is trying to get rid of stuff. A strict trades-only rule would keep the usual SA-Mart ebayers from wrecking it.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
This is good news! Now, this thread can stop complaining about how CRAAAAZY expensive Earthbound is and derailing every five pages into a discussion of what mysterious legal issues have kept it from being rereleased! I approve, Nintendo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Geez, I hope nobody is seriously looking at their old games as investments. A copy of Chrono Trigger cost $70 in 1995, and costs $70 now; but with inflation, it's lost value. You're better off with Bitcoin. It's got nowhere to go but up, up up!

• Locked thread