Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kea
Oct 5, 2007
So out of curiosity, does anyone else here have a bizarre and half unexplainable obsession with a certain type/theme of game, the more shameful the better. For myself I have probably played near every beyblade game ever released, why? Im not sure when I was younger I was interested in the building aspect of them and even to this day I still check them out whenever I can find a cheap game, and to summarise them, they all suck SO BADLY. Notably one of the GBA games has your opponents levelling up if you lose, which you will!

So yeah, terrible retro related game obsessions, spill em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Not sure on the general consensus but I always thought if you were going to go with a retron you should maybe consider some sort of emulation machine instead. Would probably cost more but you could put something together that could play a TON of games and systems, something to think about if you are going for a relatively innacurate machine anyway.

edit: I turned an old 17inch acer laptop into an emulation machine, flipped the screen over to make it akin to a giant tablet, slapped in some emus and mad eit boot straight into hyperspin (pain in the rear end to setup but cool when its done)

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Eh, I wanna play my hard copy games with my first party controllers, and I don't mind the price tag. I just don't have space to keep my NES and Genesis hooked up, nor the space for a proper CRT so they wouldn't look so ugly.

I'm just wondering if the R5 has any fatal flaws now that it's been out a while.

Everything ive heard says its more or less fine, its android emulation from cart which is a bit weird but apparently works. In the end its up to you, I doubt it will be perfect but then again ive played a ton of emulated stuff which wasnt perfect and i wasnt particularly bothered.

Alternatively buy a bigger place to hold all your stuff, duh.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I'll hit up some flea markets, see if anyone's sitting on a retro Victorian they don't know the value of.

You want to stay clear of the old Victorians, they suffer from the worst bugs and the yellowing is just frightning.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I go for whatever is easiest, whatever the best quality I can get without mods since as a kid I played sega megadrive on a black and white tv basically anything is an upgrade.

edit: Until i got a bit older and it was just scart everywhere

Kea fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 13, 2015

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
It occured to me that US goons probably dont get these bits of rubbish with their consoles

I must have about fifty of these bits of rubbish, godamn scart.

edit: I really hate scart

Kea fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 14, 2015

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Been looking to see if I could find anything but the only thing ive found is a cryptic reference from here

http://retrorgb.com/saturn.html

" If you have trouble with the RGB SCART cable linked above, your console may require using composite video or luma as sync. You can try to modify it yourself, or just order a Saturn RGB SCART cable that gets sync from composite video."

No explanation unfortunately, seems to be some dark art.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I bought an rfi gold and it works perfectly fine on both my ds and 3ds at a very reasonable price, though i did spend 3 hours convinced it was broken until i realised you needed to load some stuff onto the sd card which i couldnt find mentioned ANYWHERE before it would read it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

It does not read any of my microSD cards.

Im sure you tried this, but just to be on the safe side did you ensure the sd cards have the right stuff on them? without it the card will just throw up a "cannot read card" kind of error.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Dang, either I have the shittiest luck with my cards or I dunno. Reading the above about the Wood kernel, I did not load that into my DSTT since I assumed it wasn't compatible. It's worth a shot, I guess. Still have the files around from my experiments with the R4i Gold dud.

Uh, yeah. For the R4i Gold, it's the Wood kernel. Asked on gbatemp, they said the files were all there from my screenshot and that I should try different microSDs, which I did with no difference.

Ah right i justy checked and my card is actually a r4 3ds gold pro, like this:

drat them all having similar names, but i can highly recommend this and if oyu like i can double check the translation patch on it?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

univbee posted:

Given my R4 with the Wood firmware could run it I don't see why this newer revision would have trouble.

Yeah just tested for the hell of it, runs it no problem.
Pretty sure the r4 gold plus blah blah is only about $15 so highly recommended if you want apretty cheasp card that works like a charm on 3ds.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Scroll up, kemosabe.

When i see that my brain automatically goes PHOTOSHOP and im not sure why.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

poo poo. Here's something else then, also seen on imgur: :nms:

http://imgur.com/gallery/q5XUR

Honesty? I dont hate this, seems like some serious work was put into it, assuming he either used a non working model or sold off the working mainboard I can live with this.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

flyboi posted:

Also you guys have a lovely key layout. That enter key :barf:

Learn to love the gigantic enter key, how else will you most efficiently mash it?

Also i have had 3 or 4 dreamcasts through my hands and everytime I sell them on for a profit because I am the worst.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Not super oldschool retro but my partners grandad dropped by today with a box of my partners estranged sisters stuff that they have held onto for a couple of years, complete gamecube. gameboy advance, gameboy colour, gameboy advance tv tuner (hah) and a few other bits and pieces, apparently theres like another 3 boxes of assorted stuff. This was mixed up with stuff like random digital camera/cdplayer etc, not bad for free, we are gonna throw them a little cash for it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
So I know it has been discussed in here before but I havent had much luck finding the right information. I have just had to buy a new controller for my ps2 because my old one gave up the ghost, this has made me realise that the disc drive wont last forever. I Have a half decent PS2 collection (all the Jak games, Ratchet games, some Rpgs, amplitude/wipeout/mad maestro etc) and I would love to keep playing these, possibly in a much easier way. I remember it was possible to hook a HDD up to your PS2 to play games from the hard drive rather than the (dodgy) DVD drive. Anyone able to give me a quick rundown on how this is done and what I would need?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

falz posted:

Are you dragging *multiple* games simultaneously? The instructions are poor, this worked for me under wine:

code:
multitool.exe rom1.gen rom2.gen
and it created a file called '2_in_1.bin'

code:
3145728 Nov 30 21:21 2_in_1.bin
2097152 Nov 30 21:19 rom1.gen
524288  Nov 30 21:19 rom2.gen
I loaded it in 'gens' and it boots to the screen..

but when choosing a game, it just blinks and goes back to that screen. The readme mentions Everdrive MD v3 specifically, so maybe it only works with that.

Apparently I hear this program wont work in an emulator.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I tried that first, then irc.synirc.net. must be my client.

Edit: finally got a client that works(maybe). But the room is empty, so either it's dead or this new client is lying to me.

room is #retrochat

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Not completely Retro but does anyone have any suggestions for good gamecube titles to pick up? If so can they be played on a wii?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Paper mario: thousand year door
Mario Strikers
Resident Evil Zero
Metal Gear Solid 1 twin snakes
wind waker
double dash
skies of arcadia
viewtiful joe
pikmin

Pretty sure they can all be played on wii.

Way ahead of you on skies of arcadia, that game is amazing. Also have two copies of baten kaitos for some reason.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
This may be a stupid question, a buddy of mine has offered me a wii but in his words "the disc drive is kind of knackered, it sometimes works" are they fixable or can you load the games to a disc or something?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They are easily fixable/replacable, and you can also use homebrew to load games from external storage.

Huh does that work for gamecube too? Also didnt some people use their wii as kind of an emulation box, was that any good?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can load Gamecube games from external storage; it used to only work with games you'd ripped yourself on that console but I'm sure you're can just transfer the ISOs by now.

The Wii has good emulators for all the 8/16-bit hardware and less-good emulators for PSX/N64, Doom/Quake/Quake 2 ports, media players, etc.

That sounds awesome, I might just have to see about setting it up as an emu box.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I have a ps2 controller here that looks in absolutely perfect condition but when hooked up to my PS2 the ps2 doesnt seem to read any of the button presses but the analog light comes on. Anyone have any ideas?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

McFunkerson posted:

Open it up and clean the pads/contacts with alcohol and look for cracks/bad solder joints while you're in there.

Bloody thing recognises no wbut presses buttons at random.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
PS2 controller is now pressing buttons at random, going to see if i can just get it replaced by the seller before opening it up.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I asked this before but didn't get much of a reply, I have a PS2 and a stack of games but I know they can apparently be modified to play the games off a hard drive (I hear you have to load the games from the actual discs but my information might be out of date). If I wanted to transfer my games onto a hard drive and play them on my PS2 does anyone know what I would need to do? The only thing I know is I would need a network adaptor or a usb HDD (possibly?) and some sort of boot software. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Ah right thanks, I don't know anyone who has a modded memory card so I will have to see what I can do. Doing it as a christmas present to my partner who is a PS2 nut.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

MORE GOOD ADVICE

This is great but I will still need to somehow get my hands on a freemcboot memory card right?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Dammit, that will no doubt end up the hard part.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Looking up how to put homebrew onto the Wii, always looks so daunting.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Just use ModMii. It's trivial. It asks you questions about the setup of your Wii, you answer them, and it literally spits out a directory that contains the files you need and an annotated guide on the exact steps to get it done.

Oh this is awesome thanks for the tip.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm really looking forward to giving my kid a taste of the retro experience in a few years, but my systems are failing, my save batteries are dead, I'm tired of getting things to work together, so what I am wondering is this:

Is there any sort of big ol' "fake it" experience I can set up? Some available case type system full of emulators that I can put in some sort of "carts" with specific games on them and just have it work?

I basically want the fun of a retro game system (couch gaming, wall of browsable carts, leaving it hooked up to the tv) with all the conveniences of modern emulation.

I know this sort of thing exists and is great for arcade games, but is there any sort of similar "fake experience" sort of thing for consoles? (NES, SNES and Genesis are honestly the only ones I care about)
The Retron 5 is basically this, it has cart slots, you put your legitimate carts in it and it dumps the rom off and plays them. However accuracy isnt perfect since its basically an android(?) based machine running custom emulators. It even lets you use original controllers for some of the systems. If I were advising someone on the best way to play retro games it wouldn't be this but for you it sounds ideal.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

d0s posted:

Just picked up a free Toshiba 27A33 in nearly perfect condition, to replace my aging 1998 27" Wega. It's a CRT from 2003 with component/s-video inputs, but also a normal curved picture tube, rather than a flat one. I've wanted something like this for a while because I personally like the look of old games better on a good curved tube, it reminds me both of arcade monitors and how I played these games as a kid.

I always find it funny people trying to emulate their experience playing games as a kid because my experience as a child was not getting a current console until the gamecube and before that playing starwing on a small black and white tv. Im twenty 27.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah of course the wii is cheaper if you blatantly ignore the most expensive part of that plan. (Also the gamecube had like... Cubivore, Eternal Darkness and Monkey Ball, and the wii had nothing, in terms of games I'd want. I suppose that's three games worth of potentially worth it?)

Also I specifically said I wanted the cart thing, that was like specifically what I asked for since I like carts and the various features of carts, and it also supports the classic controllers which is cool, and it also allows me to load myself some romhacked versions if I want. Superior to the Wii plan in every way, lateral move from actual PC in that there are tradeoffs but imo they are worth it for what I want it for.

People are being a bit over the top but the reason they are trying to suggest alternatives is that the Retron isn't the best choice for running emulators. Since you don't want it just for that however it is probably the best for you.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Everything I play works fine on emulation to my knowledge (except maybe SMRPG I guess), I just like physical browsing especially while the system is in use and decent controllers because I have always enjoyed the social experience. Doesn't have to be carts per se just physical browsing with some nice art and that sort of poo poo. I didn't expect that the sort of thing where people would feel the need to angrily tell me that no what I really want is something completely different.

Hell to be honest a system where I could go a step further and put actual pc games on carts would be the best of the best.

If the Retron and its ilk really are just basic emulators inside I imagine some cool stuff on the front might be possible, maybe I'll just figure out how they do their conversions and see if some sort of custom setup might be possible.

This is another option you might like, you could try a pc or something with a ton of emulators in it all running a custom frontend. If you set up hyperspin properly for example (its a pain) You can control ti all with a 360 controller or similar and it will show you all the games and a bit of a blurb about them etc. It is a massive pain to set up but really really slick if done right.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Something like the retron doesn't appeal to me because the emulators are sub-par and I'd have to have the cart to play the games. If i didn't have the gaming pc already hooked up to my TV i would have seriously considered a wii for GC and homebrew emulators.

Thats why im getting a Wii, need to ribbit king tournament my partner.

Thats a point, why are semi serious golf games so much fun? Mario gold, ribbit king, everybodys golf etc.

Kea fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 8, 2015

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

fishmech posted:

What's the name of Kevtris's upcoming multi-console clone? Because that's going to wipe the floor with any of the existing ones when it's out in a few years, because it has cycle-accurate cores in the FPGA system, so pretty much the best you can get beyond ridiculously audio/video modded original consoles.

I thought this was that kickstarter where he left? Or did he have his own thing coming out?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Man, people are getting testy about this.

I don't think anyone has any real claim to normalcy or a "right way" for this terribly geeky hobby. I have original hardware, I have physical carts, but I prefer to use my flashcarts. Some people are fine with composite video on a regular TV, some use XRGB scalers with their LCD HDTVs, and some use regular RGB output on professional-grade CRT video monitors. What is correct and proper?

Well...it depends on what you want. GlyphGryph's desire to use physical carts on a Retron 5 isn't really any different from my preference to use flashcarts on my original hardware. Especially if all he or she wants is to just plug and play and not deal with modding a Wii setting up emulators, and all that. I mean, emulation pretty much undermines the whole point of what many people do and enjoy in this thread, but it's understood that there's more to this hobby than a bunch of ROM images and an emulator running on a PC or hacked modern console.

So I don't see what the kerfuffle is. Maybe a Wii makes more economic sense, but GlyphGryph doesn't want to deal with modding one. Maybe a Retron isn't the right option, but that's for GlyphGryph to decide in the end. This whole hobby is built on irrational attachment, nostalgia, and a sentimental appreciation for the aesthetics of the past. If GlyphGryph's idea of fun involves utilizing a physical cartridge, even in the most disconnected fashion from how it would work on original hardware, then that's certainly not the strangest thing that anyone has done in this thread.

Basically, everyone just chill out here.

Yeah basically this, different strokes for different folks etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of Doom clones, whatever happened to the Chex one? poo poo what was its full title even? I am kinda disappointed now that I threw out or gave away the CD that came with the cereal. I know a quick google will probably get me the program, but I'm kinda curious if anyone here has the physical disc any more.

Chex quest is what you are thinking about.

• Locked thread