Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm not sure if this has been discussed earlier, but I'm thinking of picking up one of those Retron 3 consoles to save space in front of the TV. Are they worth it? Thoughts?

Also, what are good reproduction controllers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Point taken, but the other thing is, while me SNES and Genesis still work great, my NES has been on its last legs for years. The thing pretty much doesn't work without the alcohol on a q-tip \ blowing on it method, and it might play for about an hour before glitching, if even. I've been hesitant to buy a used NES, because how do I know it won't work for 30 minutes then start glitching out?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

In short, you should buy the original hardware. Your old NES is probably 'on it's last legs' because it hasn't been cleaned or repaired for 25 years. Spend the $5 and take the 5 minutes to replace the connector.

...The power adapter. Ah. You know, the original power adapter on mine is long gone. The wire frayed until it wasn't usable anymore. Where it is now, no one knows. So I got a 3rd party adapter afterwards that can be used on multiple consoles.

That might be my problem right there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Welp, I went ahead and cut pin 4 on the lockout chip and cleaned the 72-pin connector, but when I try to slide it back on it makes a horrible crinkling noise and I'm a little scared to force it.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it on.

The pins did look pretty corroded where the cart connects and surprisingly there didn't seem to be much dirt, so I might have to get a replacement.

EDIT 2: loving piece of poo poo. I can get Mega Man 6 to load on a rare occasion, all others simply give me a usually brown \ orange screen. Sometimes other colors. Tightening \ loosening screws on the case seem to effect how well the toaster clicks into place. Have it too tight and it won't stay down.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 28, 2012

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think rather than try and bend the pins on my 72-pin connector, I went ahead and ordered a new one for $13 and hopefully that will do it.

Mine looks pretty bad. Almost rusty.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

There's a local store \ arcade that sells a bunch of old games, and this prompted me to grab all my old Nintendy games from my folks' house.

(My hand is covering the N64 games because they have my parents' address on them)

Now I just need to find a place to hook up my monsterous Genesis \ CD \ 32X...

Maybe I should also grab a CRT from my folks' place. But again where would I put it in a small apartment? I dunno.

I also want a Neo Geo MVS cab.

And a dog.

Small living space problems.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Also uh.... I know it's a cardinal sin to even mention this but... part of me wants a retron because space is limited and I really can't hook up all my consoles at once.

Plus the retron 5 will also play GBA games and well I kinda sold my Gamecube and Gameboy player after I got a Wii so I don't have that anymore.

I know you're going to say if I'm going to use a retron, then it's not authentic and I might as well just play roms on Wii brew and well I don't exactly have a good counter to that argument

EDIT: Actually maybe not, the Retron 5 sounds really terrible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Ccj8yQ3l8

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 21, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah it's a lovely android phone that plugs into your TV, with emulators installed and cartridge readers that just work against a pre defined list of cartridges.

If you can figure out a way to use the cartridge ports with a computer it'd be pretty great though.

Okay, so the Retron 5 looks like poo poo, but what about the Retron 3? Is that also just an emulator or is it actually a okay reproduction of the hardware?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Retron3 used some of the best reimplemented hardware. It's pretty good and even handles some flashcards.

Cool. Will some of the more non-standard games work, i.e. Sonic & Knuckles' Lock-On feature, the Super FX chip in Star Fox, the C4 chip in Megaman X2 and X3, etc...

I've also considered a Retron 2 just to replace the NES and SNES since the retron won't play 32X or Sega CD, but I while I don't think I'm gonna play Knuckles' Chaotix or Star Wars arcade often, there are a few decent Sega CD games. The only one I still own is Sonic CD, but I can always change that. The Sega CD also has zero copy protection, so you can literally just burn say, Final Fight or Snatcher from an .iso, throw it in and it works. No mods, no special add-ons needed, it just plays them.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 21, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The other night I picked up Journey to Silius and Captain Skyhawk for NES and the Super Famicom Area 88 (U.N. Squadron.) I also got Star Trek TNG and DS9 for Sega Genesis.

Goddamn, the last level of Journey to Silius is loving BULLSHIT. Talk about expecting pixel perfection. Jesus. Also, limited continues.

U.N. Squadron is also really hard. Farthest I can get is to the 2nd group of levels... on easy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I remember using genecyst and nesticle. Genecyst had a bloody menu and nesticle had a severed hand as a cursor. I think in the about it said it was made by poo poo Lord the Fecal Master or something. Quality stuff, there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

univbee posted:

Wasn't NESticle's Windows icon a ballsack?

Yeah it was! Oh, this is what I was talking about :

So mature!

Remember Zophar's Domain?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sotogrande posted:

Help -> Aboot -> Picture of Saddam Hussein from South Park and something about death to the defiler. The Nesticle dev was weird :stare:

I think that was actually Callus, a CPS1 emulator.

It's web page has a picture of a guy getting a chainsaw up his butt.
http://bloodlust.zophar.net/Callus/callus.html

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I just caved and placed an order for an Everdrive MD because I learned it supports 32X, Master System AND SG-1000 games. I didn't realize the Genesis had full backwards compatibility built in! I'm pretty pumped to get this as now I have pretty much every game ever made for a Sega console now at my fingertips. Except for Dreamcast. I need to get a new working Dreamcast sometime.

According to the OP, the guy who runs http://www.lostclassicvgs.com is a goon and makes custom repro carts, right? There's a few romhacks I'd really love to have dedicated carts to, but I haven't seen repros of them made because they're basically the original games with features added and might go into bootleg territory. Although I've seen copies of Earthbound Uncut and Bare Knuckle III floating around.

Namely, it's these:

Sonic 3 Complete - the "definitive" version of pretty much my favorite game ever. It's Sonic 3 & Knuckles on one cart and adds a ton of new features.
http://www.tiddles.org/s3c/

Mega Man X3 Zero Project which makes Zero fully playable:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/888

In addition, I'd also probably want Final Fantasy IV, V and VI for SNES, but when you buy those online, you never know what translation you're getting. I got repro carts for FF5 and 6 like a dumbass and they have these terrible literal translations where Espers are "Phantom Beasts" and so on whereas I want something more like the Ted Woosley or GBA versions. Basically I want FF4, 5 and 6 with their proper names on my shelf with modern spell names like Firaga but with my spoony bards and sons of submariners intact.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1659/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1788/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

univbee posted:

Yeah, the Genesis/Megadrive had a converter attachment which just changed the pin layout so SMS games would work, and likewise the 32x connector is identical to Genesis connectors (since they needed you to still be able to access your Genesis games).

I think you can make arrangements to have custom carts made, although you'll need appropriate donor carts, and in the case of Mega Man X3 you'll need a Japanese Rockman X2 or X3 for a compatible Cx4 chip. Technically you can use a US one but they're mega-:retrogames: and have no business being used as donor carts.

If the SNES versions of the FF's aren't a must, the PSP or newer 3D versions of FF4, and the GBA/Steam/iOS versions of FF5 and 6 have professionally redone translations made by "we unfucked our translation department and it's now the best in the world" Square Enix directly.

I could probably track down Rockman X2 or X3 on ebay. It usually goes for about $30. Is it possible to fit a Super Famicom board in a SNES case so it matches X1 and X2? If not, that's fine, I took a pair of pliers to my SNES so Super Famicom games fit in it.

Yeah, I have the GBA versions of 4-6, I just think it would be nice to have versions that play on the original console hardware. And they'd look good on the shelf.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

falz posted:

Yes, this is a great cart due to the large # of things it supports. A few minor but important caveats:

* SG1000 video modes aren't supported on Genesis, so the games will boot but not display properly. If you really want SG1000 support I think you have to order a SMS flash cart.

* You have to remove the 32x for master system games to work, as the compatibility mode is not possible through the 32x. "first world problem" really but it prevents the 32x from being permanently inserted.

* No save states like the Mega Everdrive allegedly has.

* Load times are sorta slow (5-15 seconds) but it's fine.

Uhmm that's it, everything generally works great.

That's okay, I can live without SG-1000 games. Having to remove the 32X is kind of a hassle, but I don't have a Master System and don't really care to get a converter all that much so being able to play them on my TV period is an improvement.

Speaking of that, is there an improved power adapter that combines those three huge power adapters into one thing? Because drat the Sega Genesis\32X\CD takes up an entire power strip and is probably a potential fire hazard. The combined Voltron form should be called the Sega Clusterfuck.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I bought the japanese versions of 4, 4 Easy Type, 5 and 6. They're still dirt cheap and will run you around 3-10 bucks each.

They have a ton of poo poo that was censored in the american release. Nude Sprites were changed, both versions of SNES final Fantasy 4 in Japan were entirely different from the US release, 5 was never released, and 6 also had changed sprites.

as far as reading text goes the augmented reality IOS/Android apps actually work for games. And there's also many guides that give you the original SNES translation.

If I have to look at a tablet or translation guide to be able to read what's going on, that kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I like Streets of Rage 2 better. SOR1 and 2 have excellent music... SOR3, not so much. SOR3 also looks a lot uglier aesthetically, but being able to run is nice.

Best SOR is the SOR Remake which I've actually been playing quite a bit lately.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oh it does, like that one. This is also a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwjZJ_tHnSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgjrJga7FI

However, a lot of the music seems kinda... random and without melodies, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4M2YGtTUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrS4RubrsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZWJfZF47fQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF6X373OKmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjxX2raRNKE

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

These were actually done by Motohiro Kawashima. In general, he did the more melodic tracks in SoR3 (although as "Cycle II" there shows, not always), while Yuzo Koshiro gave us...
...well, this.

Kawashima also did "Expander" in Streets of Rage 2.

According to Sega Retro:

quote:

In comparison to its predecessors, Streets of Rage 3 takes a radically different approach to its soundtrack. Though still composed by Yuzo Koshiro, it is heavily influenced by Detroit's hard techno scene, popular in Tokyo dance clubs of the time. The soundtrack gathered a mixed reception in 1994, though is retrospectively considered by many to have been ahead of its time, containing elements similar to the "trance" era of dance music which would grow in popularity in the coming months and years.

Koshiro developed a composition system for this game, called the "Automated Composing System". Using features such as a random note generator (programmed in C++) , the soundtrack has a much more experimental tone, particularly noticeable in tracks such as "Bulldozer", whose composition is almost entirely randomised.

So in other words... Koshiro didn't so much "compose" that music, as he wrote a computer program that randomly generated it. And it really shows. SOR3 sounds like a random number generator threw up. It's awful and barely qualifies as music. It's such a shame too, because SOR1 and 2 had such amazing soundtracks.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

How long does it usually take to ship from shop.krikzz.com?

Over the next couple weeks I'm gonna be chomping at the bit eagerly awaiting my Everdrive MD.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

univbee posted:

They're a lot quicker than you'd expect, given they're shipping from Eastern Europe for $5 shipping. I usually received stuff here in Canada within 2ish weeks and I remember American goons reporting the same.

Wow, so I might even get it in time for Christmas.

Way past cool! Gotta speed, keed!

I am going to have access to so much blast processing my TV might explode! OH MY GOD!

W E L C O
M E T O T
H E N E X
T L E V E L

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

falz posted:

I have one of these for my genesis2/ cd2/ 32x combo:

http://retrogamecave.com/shop/4577155950

Kinda expensive but worth it IMO.

They go in and out of stock so if the one you want is there I'd grab it. At some point this year he posted a message implying he was stopping making them, but it looks like he started again. I haven't found any alternative.

I might have to grab one of those.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'll second univbee's reply that it'll probably be two weeks, tops. You might want to start organizing your ROMs now.

Oh believe me, I am...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Anyone know of any tools to combine multiple roms into "multicarts"?

I.E. I have multiple versions of Sonic 1, the vanilla Sonic 1, one with a spindash, one with Tails, one with Knuckles, etc. It would be nice to just boot up "Sonic 1", then select which version you'd like.

I downloaded Krikzz's multirom.exe but when I drag roms onto it, nothing happens. Mind you, this is probably because I'm a dinosaur running windows XP. I suppose I could just make game-specific subfolders.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ah, using the command line worked. It probably doesn't like filenames with spaces in them.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know what I'd really just love to have in my home?

A Japanese-style candy cabinet with Darksoft's CPS2 Multi-kit.
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/multi-pcbs/1616-darksoft-cps2-multi-kit.html

There's so many awesome CPS2 games. Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Vampire Savior, X-Men: COTA, Street Fighter Alpha 2 & 3, Mega Man: the Power Battle\Fighters, Puzzle Fighter, Alien vs. Predator, Slammasters II, Gem Fighter...

I mean, if I could have one arcade game, I would want to have either ST or 3rd Strike. And if I'd do that, I'd might as well get the Darksoft CPS2/3 multi-kits to boot.

Sadly I have no room in my apartment for one, nor do I have the cash to shell out.

I've also always wanted a Neo Geo MVS cabinet for years. Maybe with Metal Slug, KOF '98, Windjammers, maybe Garou MOTW a Samurai Showdown or Neo Turf Masters...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think it's really awesome that there are romhacks out there that add missing or new features into games like the Spin Dash \ Tails \ Knuckles in Sonic 1 and a fully playable Zero in Mega Man X3.

There's some that haven't ever been made though and that makes me kinda sad because I'm not skilled enough to do them myself. I wish someone would add the slide and charge shot to Mega Man 1-3 and make a hack of the NES Metal Gear that makes it more like the proper MSX version by changing the map layout and replacing the computer with well... the actual Metal Gear itself.

I suppose no one has done the latter as well, you could just play the MSX Metal Gear instead of the NES one, but how cool would it be to slap the proper Metal Gear 1 into your Nintendo?

It would also be really rad if someone converted Super Street Fighter 2: New Challengers for SNES into Super Turbo, but that's probably a much bigger project than all of the above and it would still be very inferior to the Arcade version as the SNES just isn't powerful enough.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always wanted to try making a megaman clone that would let you load up any megaman stage using any megaman's rules, from 1, 3, 4, X, etc.

I've even gotten knee deep into doing it, I just ended up shelving it to work on something else. Maybe I should go back though, I keep having trouble finding artists to team up with, but if I just made a megaman clone I wouldn't need an artist.

I also think it'd be cool as gently caress to have a megaman maker type game like mario maker where you could make your own stages and share them with people. I really love that kind of game in general. I wish they'd release a Zelda game like the original famicom disk drive intended version where you could make dungeons for your friends to play with.

I had pretty much this conversation in the Mega Man thread a few months ago as that's basically my dream game.

Every once and a while I'll attempt to make a Mega Man game in Game Maker but I just don't have the free time for it. What were you making it in?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Java, I tend to use LWJGL for my little game jam projects because it lets me write all the code myself but without going down all the way to the metal. Just enough to get started without constraining me at all. I'm happy working in C# or C++ also though. I used to do game jams in C# using XNA but that's dead now and I like LWJGL better than MonoGame.

I think I had a similar idea in the mega man thread a long time ago... maybe with you! I got far enough I was actually measuring out pixels and trying to reverse engineer the exact MM physics in an emulator. I have a basic platforming engine that can load maps using an open source tile editor (TileED) already good to go but I'd have to program all the enemy and weapon and boss logic.

Hm, maybe we should talk about this. Then again maybe not, haha.

I'd you'd really want to do this, I'd be willing to help, but I don't know how much I really can as I'm no professional programmer and haven't really done much coding since college. I'm a computer janitor by trade, not a programmer. I tended to use GameMaker because it was similar to Java which I was familiar with but has all the hard stuff like rendering graphics and level editors built in. I tried helping a kid with a java program in programming 101 a couple years back though and I couldn't even get it to compile, though.

Maybe this is a good resource. This guy's engine seems pretty close and is done in C#:
https://github.com/Tesserex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Tesserex

Making a remake of all the NES Megaman games seems like it would be an enormous undertaking though just doing all the weapons, enemies and stage gimmicks. And you wouldn't even have to do any art assets or level design.

Of course, I'm sure plenty of people online would want an "all-in-one" Mega Man game like the Streets of Rage remake or a Mario-maker type thing so you'd probably have no trouble finding people to help.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I was thinking of getting a modchip for my saturn but it seems panzer dragoon is cheaper than I expected. the US one is "only" around $40-50. Same for the 2nd one.

The japanese one is like $15 b\c japanese retro games are almost always cheaper for some reason. Is panzer dragoon the kind of game where I need to know what people are saying \ read things?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Man, I've been really going on a Genesis kick lately. What can I say, I'm hooked on Sonics. Badum-tish.

On another note, I saw a youtube video that make me want to slap someone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZSUJ8M8_eg

Apparently Neo Geo games and boring, Final Fight sucks and Arcades died out to make way for better, more artful games like Oblivion and World of Warcraft. Shut up Jeff, you're a retard.

I need to listen to the buttery radio show host voice of Lord Karnage to wash the bad taste out of my mouth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxD5sCmhPcw

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

When you think about it, retro gaming is a good way to go and cheaper than modern games. Even rare and popular games like Final Fantasy III/VI go for about $70 which is less than it originally was adjusting for inflation. Most old games can be gotten for under $50.

I just don't see the point in preordering games and paying full price unless they're multiplayer. Otherwise, you can just wait and get it for cheaper.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Today I got Afterburner for 32X for $20, FF1 for NES for $20, Strider for Genesis, and Rad Racer and Darius Twin for $5 each. Not a bad haul.

Same store also had a Master System power base for $60. It's only $60 because a guy took a dremel to it so it fits on the model 2, which is a big plus for me, given I have a model 2. Maybe I'll go back and grab it. Granted I need to take the 32X out to make it work, but 1st world problems.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Power Base Converters are over $50 now? :smith:

(I mean, I've got a Mega Everdrive on the way, so I guess I shouldn't care, but still)

Yeah, they generally go for $80-90.

Course if I got it, it would save me the trouble of sawing part of it off.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

falz posted:

Power base converters are that expensive now? Wow.

Beware, I did that to one of mine and it tends to be a little wobbly and can reset your game. There are 3rd party ones for $20 or so now, or you could buy a megadrive flash cart for the same price and play sms games that way.

Yeah I ordered an everdrive so I really don't NEED one, per se.

You have a link to those $20 converters?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Just be a cool dude and get a Master System.

Maybe, but I'm pretty much maxed out on space and there aren't that many Master System games I'd want (a large amount are inferior versions of games you can get on the Genesis.)

There aren't a lot of Master System exclusives, really. There's Phantasy Star, the Alex Kidd and Wonder Boy games, Shinobi 1, Fantasy Zone, Dynamite Dux, Psycho Fox, R-type, Zillion... can't think of much else.

I mean, of course it has a lot of Sega arcade classics like Afterburner, Space Harrier, Hang-on, Out-run, Golden Axe, etc., but I more or less have all of those for Genesis\32X already and they're all superior to their Master System counterparts by a fair margin.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't even call R-Type an exclusive considering the PC Engine version.

Well, the TG-16 version, at least.

Yeah.... I am self-proclaimed Sega fanboy who has gotten a Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Game Gear, Nomad, Saturn and Dreamcast over the years... (sold my Game Gear and Nomad) but even then, I have a hard time justifying a Master System.

I think I might actually want a PC Engine more... the TG-16 is far from the best system out there, but it has a few good games here and there you can't find anywhere else. They're mostly CD ones though, so I'd want a Turbo Duo. But I don't need one that bad.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah... I kinda don't care for the idea of the Retron 5. It basically rips a rom off the cart and runs it in an emulator.

I do have a retron 1 however, because getting my NES to work properly can be kind of temperamental and it runs everything I have sans Castlevania 3. It's also very cheaply made and not great but it cost me a whopping $30.

Random Stranger posted:

What is the worst other genre game turned fighting game: Sonic: The Fighters, Mega Man: The Power Battle (or the sequel if you like), Double Dragon V, Golden Axe: The Duel, or Castlevania: Judgement?

I ask because Sonic: The Fighters is currently making a really good case for itself to me.

(I just realized I own every single one of those... :negative:)

I actually kind of like Mega Man: the Power Battle \ Fighters and it can be fun co-op but I also don't consider it a fighting game. It's just Mega Man boss fights minus the actual levels. You can't play as the bosses and fight another player in it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Personally I'd only go for Sanwa\Semitsu parts with square gate joysticks. I kinda hate Happ bat tops and buttons. They're so mushy and it sucks trying to play fighting games on them. We dealt with them back in the day, but once I got a taste of Japanese-style sticks and arcade cabs, I never want to go back.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

d0s posted:

Happ stuff is designed for one thing: to last as long as possible and deal with the abuses of an American arcade. I'm not sure that playability or feel was even a consideration or if it was it was way, way below "MAKE IT INDESTRUCTIBLE". Like the one praise you hear from happ fans over and over is that it's built like a tank but really what on earth are you doing with your hardware that you need that kind of durability. They always end up in these heavy rear end particle board enclosures which I guess are designed to look like US arcade cabinets and the whole rigs just look mad uncomfortable to use

And I've still seen plenty of busted parts on American style cabinets, too.

One time at a local ST tournament, my friends and I just looked on in amazement as this one kid shook the entire cab while playing. A lot of people who have never seen an arcade stick in their life don't realize you're not supposed to jerk it around with your whole arm but just use your fingers and wrists.

Also I have a Capcom SNES stick and it has a surprisingly decent clicky joystick with microswitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

N64 is the Atari 2600 of the 3d era. Everyone else did everything better.

Nope, the 2600 had tons and tons of games. The PS1 was the 2600.

Out of the 32-bit era though, I have to say that the Sega Saturn is easily my favorite. There's a lot of cool Saturn games that you can't find anywhere else.

Cubey posted:

I didn't want to start a beef about Resident Evil but yeah those games were poo poo then and they are way more poo poo now. I have absolutely never understood the appeal of that series in the slightest bit.

Resident Evil 4 was good.

The rest, eh.... not so much.

• Locked thread