Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
From late in the last thread/Nintendo World Catalog:

This would go nicely under the section in the OP on why not just emulate. You can't emulate Castlevania-forged friendship OR juice, motherfuckah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Genius. I'm gonna try this when I get home if I can remember to, my NES is flashing pink and won't load any cartridges at all, and I'm hoping I don't have to do surgery on 'er.
Don't be scared. I bent every pin back into place on my NES for the first time last week. It wasn't hard. Just a little time consuming.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

:siren:PICKUPS!:siren:

Goon-favorite Monster Party cost me the most at $15, but it went to a local used game shop I rarely buy anything from, so I don't mind so much.
Vice: Project Doom is the first big-boy's NES action game with guns-n-poo poo I've ever owned. The kind I never played as a kid. The main reason I started collecting NES carts was to atone for how many lousy NES games I had (and still have) due to being a dumb kid. Anyway, the game is sweet. It's like Ninja Gaiden, but not balls hard. I got it earlier today and just beat it.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

iastudent posted:

What are some super famicom carts that contain a surprising amount of English that you guys would recommend? I stumbled upon a game tonight, Dragon's Earth, that as far as I can tell is entirely in English.
Super Ninja-Kun and the Parodius series are good games with little to no language barrier.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Anybody have experience with http://www.dkoldies.com ?
I'm suspicious because their NES selection seems pretty broad for one retailer given how (mostly) fair their prices are. All the negative reviews I've found just complain about their refurbished NES consoles not working.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

al-azad posted:

What's really crazy is canceling Star Fox 2 when it was finished. I will never forgive Nintendo for that decision.
I can understand that they didn't want it and Star Fox 64 cannibalizing eachother's sales, but they need to get that poo poo working on Virtual Console.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

ZackHoagie posted:

If it weren't for lovely cameras, I'd have no cameras at all :)
Turn on macro (the tulip symbol) for close ups. Your camera might be lovely, but I don't think there's many digital cameras that don't have that.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

My Gamestop haul also came today:

I already own Japanese and US copies of Ys VI, but I got this copy so I could find a good home for it among my friends.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

al-azad posted:

There are billions of copies of F-ZERO and I guess someone robbed a warehouse this year because boxes just suddenly sprung up everywhere. At one point you could get a factory warehouse box with 6 sealed games for 50 ducats.
Maaaan, why can't somebody find a warehouse full of Little Samson carts? :(

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Harlock posted:

Yup, this certainly is amazing:

http://imgur.com/a/2GujB

Now someone make me one of the inside Airship of FFVI.

Wish there was something as cheap as perler beads but looked better for re-creating game sprites.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Anybody happen to know why Sword Master for NES shot up in value in the last year? I assumed it was rare because it was 1992 release, but that chart in the link shows consistently low prices for earlier years.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Obeast posted:

I dunno if the Nintendo Power cancelled thread is still up, but the final issue's cover has been leaked.

I guess it's not too surprising they did this, but it's still an awesome send-off to something most of us retro game enthusiasts have in common. :unsmith:
I took Nintendo Power's cancellation in stride because I always felt the NP I loved went away somewhere in the Play it Loud era. Now, that cover leaves me heart broken :smith:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

Thousands upon thousands of kids less than 10 years old beat these games without guides. Why are people dumber than kids from the 80's, now?
Those "thousands" (do we really know?) of kids had more free time, less games to play, and a bunch of friends in the same boat.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

On the subject of tip videos. Here's this brilliant parody of the "How to Beat Home Video Games" series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBcnl3h2alw
:nws: for Custer's Revenge

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

My family is cool.

The least legible ones are Arkista's Ring and Shadow of the Ninja.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Midnight Raider posted:

Wow, it lives. :stare: I heard the main thing that killed the franchise and kept the sequel from being released was the last balance patch for PR1 causing fans to pitch a fit. But I can imagine maybe enough playtesters/internal guys seeing the sequel and going "WTF WHERE ARE THE DINOSAURS" was the real death knee to convince them to can the whole thing.
They probably could've gotten away with it if they treated it as more of a spiritual successor and just called it Warrior's Rage or something. Still, making it about generic warrior dudes instead of fantastical dinosaurs was a dumb move.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I found out I could buy digital Amazon gift cards in small/odd amounts, so I took old preloaded credit card-style gift cards with small/odd amounts, turned them into Amazon credit, and turned that into this:

1990 - Ninja Crusaders
Two ninja; Talon and Blade must fight invading alien forces in this difficult action game. Even in co-op, a single hit will send both players back to the beginning of the stage. It's legendary difficulty caused absolutely no sensation in its time and it was even unpopular with women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JcTBwIOENY

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

thedouche posted:

How can you tell that it isn't Zelda 2?
Because Zelda 1 is on the screen.

Anyway, I can't blame anyone for cheating to skip some of the money grind in that game.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

HKR posted:

Because every single USB dongle I've used just doesn't work.
When they do work, it's only with their proprietary software which may or may not suck (usually sucks). I got a Dazzle when Circuit City went out of business, the video is interlaced to poo poo whether I use the software, or grab the video by selecting the Dazzle as a webcam. On top of that, when I use it as a webcam, I can't get the sound. I have to use an RCA to 3.5mm cable and plug it in to the microphone port and tell my sound driver to output the mic input through the speakers.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Speaking of games that nobody talks about, does anyone know what YS games were released in America? I find the Japanese list confusing enough with just how many sequels that were not true sequels and had multiple versions/duplicate sequels/remakes/reimagings.

Ys Origin on Steam
Ys 1 on Master System
Ys Book 1 & 2 on Turbo CD/Virtual Console
Ys Chronicles (remake of I&II, includes Ys I&II Complete, another remake) PSP
Ys I & II on DS (I heard it's awful)
Ys III on Genesis/SNES
Ys Oath in Felghana (re-imagining of the Ys III story with Ys VI engine) PSP/Steam
Ys VI on PS2 and PSP (though I heard the PSP port is inferior)
Ys Seven on PSP

I think that's all of them?

Edit: Beaten, but my list only includes American retail releases. ^^^^^ You forgot Ys Typing Tutor.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2013

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Is the NES Power Pad any fun at all, or is it unresponsive poo-poo-butt? They seem to go for pretty cheap.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Duke Nukem 64 gets a bad rap for censoring a lot, but I feel many of the changes it made were positive.
-Alternate ammo types for some weapons. (Explosive shells made the shotgun better than the rocket launcher)
-The guns looked and sounded better.
-The stadium level looked a lot better and the last boss was a 3D object, not sprite based.
-New levels.
-Better line delivery from John St. John (granted some of the lines are censored).
-Deathmatch mode with bots (though they were pretty dumb)

And on top of that, the graphics and sound quality are pretty good.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah a lot of marketplaces will require you to list a game as only Acceptable at best if the game is being sold as cartridge or disc only.

Amazon's guidelines has something like this. Of course, Amazon sellers don't follow this at all :v:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Rrrrrgh!! gently caress you, Cat Man #21! :argh:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

I don't have Cubivore, it goes for like 40-60 bucks and I've yet to ever see a copy in the wild. Gotcha Force I never really saw either. I have no idea how to make the GC read imports outside of mod chips, but I'm hesitant to venture into that territory.
Pro Action Replay. That's how my friend and I played the Japanese version of Four Swords with the extra mode.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

My favorite Rakuten name translation for a retro game: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/181880-1/

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

My step-down converter for my Famicom arrived. Only now do I read online advice more closely and realize I only need it if I intend to use the original power adapter and can just use any old US adapter that matches the proper output (like my Genesis one). I feel extra stupid because I wasn't excited about buying a $30/5lb box in the first place and was thinking there had to be an easier way.
:suicide:
Looks like I gotta make a return...

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Flea market find:

Crystalis with sleeve and manual for $7. The cart's in great condition too (no scuffs, writing, sticker-goop, or fading). Pricecharting quotes around $10 for used (mostly cart-only I assume). Not an AMAZING deal, but pretty good. Here's the live-action commercial for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqoYr7RfdQ8

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Unmature posted:

I can't search. Is there an Ys megathread? And would anyone be interested if I were to start one?

There is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534100

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Here's some NES games I like from THAT publisher...

THE AMERICAN SAMMY COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JcTBwIOENY
1990 - Ninja Crusaders
A difficult side-scrolling ninja action game. A single hit kills you. It has simultaneous co-op, but if one of you dies, you both get sent back to the last checkpoint. There are four weapons with their range being inversely related to the damage they do. By holding B, you can transform into a creature based on what weapon you have. Though when time runs out and you change back, your weapon will revert to the ninja stars (highest range, lowest damage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7qjA56StVM
1990 - Arkista's Ring
A top-down fantasy arcade/action/adventure/shooter. You need to beat all screens four times to get the final ending. You can get items like fire wands that let you shoot through walls, and pieces of armor that act as extensions of the lifebar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Rd-pe2dec
1991 - VICE: Project Doom
It's like Ninja Gaiden, but not nearly as hard. For one, your sword slash arcs are wide enough to hit enemies behind your head. You also can switch to a pistol or grenades (which are more plentiful than ninja magic in Ninja Gaiden). There are two shmup-style driving stages and two shooting gallery (not zapper compatible) type stages. Most of the time, it's side-scrolling action stages (skip to about 4 minutes into the video to see).

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Stopped by the local game shops and picked up some cheap games.

Pinball - $1.95
Faxanadu - $2.95
Tennis - $1
Heiankyo Alien - $1

Nothing amazing, but I am pleased.
The background is a Marvel Land spread from last month's Retro Gamer.

EDIT: VVV I meant as far as good deals. I did check Pinball, no converter. I just got it because it was one of my favorite NES games in Animal Crossing.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 16, 2013

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I went to another game shop the next town over because it felt like the natural thing to do. Since you have to ask to see the hidden/alphabetized boxes they keep Game Boy games in, they actually had some interesting stuff:

Dirty-rear end Bat Man was $4. Those stains are gonna need more than rubbing alcohol to come out, but I'm excited. Bat Man and Gargoyle's Quest were pretty high on my GB wishlist. Bubble Ghost wasn't really up there, but it's something I wanted as a kid that had eluded me a long time. I also got Mario Tennis despite just buying Tennis for original Game Boy (:retrogames:). Mario Tennis is one of the all too rare released-in-the-US games I feel lived up to the Game Boy Color's potential and tickle my retro-bone. Look at these charming as hell graphics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj1T8ZEO64s

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 18, 2013

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Maybe it was one of the 20 or so Cat Men:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Went shopping today:

Solomon's Club -- PriceCharting: $4, Paid: $4
Castlevania: The Adventure -- PriceCharting: $4.50, Paid: $7
Survival Kids -- PriceCharting: $20, Paid: $7
Nail N Scale -- PriceCharting: $9.48, Paid: $7

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

al-azad posted:

Portable Ops was supposed to be canon but Peace Walker kind of made it redundant. I don't even think they've talked about PO since it came out. It's almost like the disowned child of the series. We knew from the start that Ac!d and Ghost Babel weren't canon to begin with (despite referencing events in the series) but PO+ and Twin Snakes just got shafted.
PO+ was never close to canon. "Hey, there's this old-timer, goes by the name 'Old Snake'. He kinda looks like Big Boss. Well whatever. He's on our team now."
Really, it was just an expansion of MGSPO's multiplayer where the single-player stuff was mostly just missions to collect characters from all over the series as playable characters.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I picked up a copy of Alien Syndrome for under $2. (My first Tengen cart)

That VOID sticker was not designed to come off. Over 2 hours of scraping off bit by bit with a hobby knife, it's still sticky to touch. Still, at least it looks okay now. Too bad I can't do anything about somebody carving "CHARADE" into the back of it though.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Cloks posted:

I had those void stickers all over my Kickle Cubicle cart and rubbing alcohol melts them away so fast it's not funny.

I already did that. It got rid of the video store's name written in sharpie on the label, but it did absolute dick to the void sticker or it's remaining residue.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

Yo noid. Don't remember the name of the japanese counterpart. And bug's bunny birthday blowout was a roger rabbit game.
Birthday Blowout was the same game. Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle was Roger Rabbit on FDS. 5-year-old me would've been much happier if Crazy Castle had the Roger Rabbit license in the US, especially considering how disappointing the LJN Roger Rabbit game was...

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 26, 2013

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

I liked ljn Roger Rabbit. gently caress you guys.
When you're five or six, you have no interest in playing Eddie Valiant and asking around for clues as to where to find the four pieces of the will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

On the subject of ROM hacks, somebody made a hack I wanted bad enough that I was considering making it myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6VLlItek4
The graphics, music, and enemy speed from Roger Rabbit (FDS) restored to Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle (NES). It's not perfect due to memory limitations (no ending cutscene, Smartass the weasel's head is no longer a 3-frame animation, Roger's death sprite is missing the tile for his tail, etc.), but looks pretty solid and I may just order a repro-cart to get closure on my childhood that was bereft of decent Roger Rabbit games.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 6, 2013

• Locked thread