Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

fatpat268 posted:

It's generally an issue with the ribbon connected to the display. It's actually a pretty easy fix. This link explains it in more detail than I can say here:
http://www.maxjusticz.com/restore-modify-an-original-dmg-gameboy/

Oh, Nintendo and ribbons :allears:

Which reminds me... can this please added under the Repairs section: http://www.projectvb.com/displayfix.html

This is a fantastic new thread and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Only thing is that display fix is almost impossible for most people (I've had expert solderers tell me they couldn't do it) and the baking fix is very temporary (I've done it a bunch of times).

I was about to suggest adding a bit about contacting Upeer about having his game store's solder tech do the repair (a complicated fix no doubt, much like the NES RGB) but apparently his store has gone under :(

fatpat268 posted:

Also, another link I just want to mention is http://www.timewalkgames.com/

They're another repro maker for NES and SNES games... but they do one thing crucially different from others: They also seal the games in original style boxes with manuals and inserts. It's a bit pricey, but they make excellent products (just check the videos on their site).

Can someone explain how places like this don't get C&D'd into oblivion? I mean, if Square could shut down a free fan project, surely they could shut down a for profit (for all intents and purposes) cart bootlegging operation if they wanted to, right?

Not advocating that they should, but I am puzzled by the whole thing.

Also, if JJJJJS is around, could you tell me how much you fear Nintendo threatening legal action against your repros? This grey market stuff fascinates me and I'd just like to better understand it all.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 5, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Someone sell me on (or off of) Pier Solar... my interest is piqued since it's being ported to Dreamcast, but I'm not sure if it's worth my $49 (or $125)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

Great rework of the OP!

Any chance we can get some good TV info in there? Like why the Trinitron is currently the reigning king over other tv's? Maybe some things to look for in an old school CRT that will help avoid picking horrible tv's and having a boat anchor lying around?

Also maybe some info on old school gaming on LCD/Plasma/LED vs CRT? I feel that having this info will help some naysayers understand that retro gamers are not crazy for having loving huge rear end tv's, over hooking up to their flat screens. And anytime someone ask's me, I can't explain it well and usually just say "because it feels gooder!"

Re: Trinitrons... The reason why they are the go-to CRT is two-fold:

- They have an excellent video processor
- They have a shitload of ports

Avoid HD Trinitons because they have geometry (and other) issues that keep them from being optimal for 240p/480i (i.e. retro) gaming.

Re: LCD/Plasma/LED... the OP addresses this issue (without explicitly saying as such) when it discusses scalers/post-processors, dot-crawl, and other such topics. Basically a 240p/480i image on a modern TV is not going to look good for a variety of reasons; pretty much the last system that will look good on a modern TV without some kind of 3rd party intermediary is a Dreamcast hooked up via a VGA box.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

triplexpac posted:

Star Fox, F-Zero, Pilotwings & Stunt Race FX

:) :) :) :v:

Also, no one should have to pay for F-Zero... if someone needs F-Zero, hit me up; I have an extra that you can have for free.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 6, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

fatpat268 posted:

What's the best way to clean the snes cartridge slot?

Alcohol dampened t-shirt wrapped around a credit card is the standard cartridge slot cleaning solution.

WickedIcon posted:

My retro shop (Game Over Videogames in San Marcos) sells it for $12 cart only and like $25 CIB.

...can I have it? :ohdear:

(I don't have PMs otherwise I would PM you instead of posting)

I'm confused by the "my"... is it meant to be as in that's the shop you frequent or that's the shop you own?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

WickedIcon posted:

The one I frequent. I wouldn't be asking for free games if I owned a retro shop. :v:

Well I would hope not, but you never know! :haw:

I went to several Game Over Videogames when I visited friends in Austin, and almost all of their prices seemed high... often absurdly high. A manager I chatted with said that they charged something like $25 for copies of SMW and would sell out of them on a weekly basis, so why would they charge less; I suppose I couldn't argue with that, but :drat: have people in Texas not heard of Ebay?

Email me your shipping info and I'll send you some future racing for your Nintendo machine: zenintrude at gmail.com

vvv Too late :( vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 6, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

triplexpac posted:

So since vintage game stores are generally way overpriced, where do you guys buy your games? ebay?

I get my stuff from a variety of places... first and foremost, I check SA-Mart since you usually get a price that benefits both the buyer and seller by avoiding Ebay fees.

Second to that, I like Craigslist: I tend to buy lots off of CL because I can get better prices, keep what I need, and sell (or give) my extras to goons who would otherwise not have access to them at good prices. Sold a bunch of TG16 games on SA-M this year to make up for some other things I got with them.

Third, Pawn Shops: A lot of pawn shops don't even bother with retro stuff anymore, but I do pick up some stuff for cheap to use for trade fodder at a local retro shop (see below.)

Fourth, I hit up Ebay: I always have a pretty long watchlist running. A lot of people will probably tell you to just look at BiN stuff, but my tastes tend to be more obscure and I've found it quite easy to pick up things I want for cheap (i.e. Resident Evil 3 on Dreamcast for $10 shipped) by waiting on auctions that seem to have little-to-no traffic. Also, use gixen.com to snipe things that you expect to be contentious.

Fifth, Amazon/Half.com: occasionally you can find deals on things here. I got a brand new copy of Deep Fighter for $4 shipped on Amazon recently and last year a bunch of us took advantage of a Half.com free shipping deal.

Sixth, Mom 'n' Pop game stores: I have a halfway decent store local to me that has a few downsides (i.e. a terrible Dreamcast selection) but a huge upside: they give much more for sealed games as trade in fodder because they resell them (rightly so) as new. Since I have a tendency to buy crap from the Kmart (R.I.P.) and Sears bargain bins for $5 and under and leave it sealed on my shelf, I've started trading this stuff in and making $5~10 profits in store credit since they'll turn around and sell the things for $20~25. While the store doesn't have much I'm actually interested in, having credit on hand helped me fill in some gaps in goons Namco Museum collections earlier this year.

[edit] But if you want one piece of advice, it should be not to be afraid to buy in bulk. Just keep what you want, and sell off the rest to keep you from the dog and/or poorhouse.

[edit2] Which reminds me... I still have some TG16 games that I'm about to dump on Ebay. If anyone's interested, hit me up and I'll get you a list.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 6, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

midge posted:

I have no idea what to ask for and I'm thinking something retro gaming related. Any ideas? She seems to be good at drawing ~ladies~

I was about to say, "She looks like she could do a pretty good Samus."

But how about having her do something Amano-inspired... that is, if you're down with Final Fantasy art.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

Yup. I was thinking about building up my old NP collection. And I was really shocked at how much they are going for. Especially the ones that still have the posters.

Allow me to reiterate...

zenintrude posted:

[edit] But if you want one piece of advice, it should be not to be afraid to buy in bulk. Just keep what you want, and sell off the rest to keep you from the dog and/or poorhouse.

Unfortunately for me, this worked for getting ODCM 2-12... but I'm probably going to get reamed on buying 0 and 1 since those are never sold in lots.

[edit] And I'm not paying $40: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIER-ISS...=item484af9c487

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

I say that.. and then turn around and :retrogames: on http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/3374711632.html

I am so bad.

Anyone that does not plan on reselling, need a NES for cheap? I'll be picking up the lot on Saturday. By cheap I'm talking shipping and whatever you are willing to pay :) Be nice if I could defray a touch of my cost, as my wife is going to yell at me for this.

I don't need either of the ones pictured. Not sure if they will come with cables either. Will get more details on Saturday when I pick up the lot. I will test them as well.

That is a very good lot at an insanely good price.

Now you have to play Zelda II.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

I only see one zelda, and that looks to be II. Is that one game with the book hiding the cover possibly zelda 1? If so I will be loving happy cause I been trying to nab that bitch forever.

The cart in front is definitely Zelda II... it's likely that the Zelda II manual is covering Zelda, since it appears that it's a gold cart peaking out from in back of it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Peachstapler posted:

Watch it be that other gold cart.

This thread would have a meltdown.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

What other gold cart would that be?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

cosmicjim posted:

We might need a system for selling to goons that's related to the wiki or #retrochat or something. We've had people in the other thread try to sale things to unload stuff to for the sake of making money and not for passing on deals to goons.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Agreed, some kind of external site (ala the Wiki) where people would have to register/be vetted through a central party. Perhaps people could list not only the games they have for sale, but also games that they're on the hunt for... Maybe this would encourage people to work out creative trades and save people from giving Paypal more money than they already do.

It would have the benefit of not cluttering this thread up with individual business as well as keeping mods from having to crack down on us for doing dealings on site yet outside of SA-Mart.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Code Jockey posted:

This seems like ideal material for an "I HAVE TO GO, MY PLANET NEEDS ME" meme. :v:

Either that or this.

Also, Ulillillia would probably love that glitch... how high did you get?!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

al-azad posted:

M.U.S.H.A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoac4j2E2g

Another shooter that needs no introduction from a company that needs no introduction. If you like SHMUPs there's no reason not to own this. Compile was at the top of their game.

Holy crap, the music in this game is fantastic.

[edit] Just looked at Ebay prices... thanks for the suggestion :haw:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 8, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

OSI bean dip posted:

Scary. I decided to check for the game on eBay and it goes for anywhere between $250 and $300 CAD. I got it for a relatively low price.

Zounds... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Must be good! :haw:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Caitlin posted:

Isn't it just dreamy? :allears:

Having one of these (or one of the Duo equivalent variants) might actually cause me to care about TG16 collecting... how's the sound on yours?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

So I went to use my VB, which I thought was permanently fixed, and I got this in the left eye:

:suicide:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Who repaired it?

Upeer... not sure if he's still around (his last post was a year ago) or if he's even doing game repairs anymore.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Harlock posted:

The blue Dreamcast is so much more aesthetically pleasing than its counterpart.

Are Dreamcasts easy to make region free? Or can you just use a boot disc? Or maybe I should just take the lid off a PAL one and put it on a NTSC.

You can use a boot disc, or you can :science: your way to a semi-awkward solution...

:siren: SEMI-AWKWARD SOLUTION :siren:

Step 1: Unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the Dreamcast and remove the lid.

Step 2: Tape down the arm in the back right corner of the Dreamcast that tells the system if the lid is open or closed.

Step 3: Disconnect the CMOS battery by cutting away the solder points on the front and moving the connecting "arm" away from the battery.

Step 4: Reassemble the Dreamcast.

Step 5: Insert a Dreamcast game that matches the region of the system and turn on the Dreamcast.

Step 6: Let the Dreamcast idle on the Date/Time screen; after about a minute (or two) the disc will stop spinning.

Step 7: Remove the disc and swap in a disc from any other region; confirm the date/time and the game will start.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Code Jockey posted:

Also, what's up with Super Mario World saying "Super Mario Brothers 4"? Is that a euro/jpn thing? Beta version? I've only ever played the US version.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I used to read walkthroughs in Nintendo Power, EGM, and Gamepro, for games I didn't even own :allears:

PSM's walkthrough of FFVII enthralled me, making the year between its release and my eventual buying of a PSX simultaneously easier and more painful.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Usually the publisher would just tell us :ssh:

Which rag did you work for?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Looks like the SFC cost about $43.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

X-Men's Rogue warns us about the dangers of playing our Nintendos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

[edit] Also Super Mario Bros. 4

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 15, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Code Jockey posted:

If I remember right the Secret of Mana SFC box is especially awesome.

You're remembering correctly...

I believe this art was used for American ads.

I'm also a big, big fan of this box:

Despite not entirely making sense.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Chainclaw posted:

I forget this artist's name, he did a ton of Squaresoft stuff.

Yoshitaka Amano... his style works great for some things (i.e. Final Fantasy) but I'm not sold on that Front Mission art.

An example of Amano working:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 15, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ineffiable posted:

I actually opt'd out of the PS2 sale. I already have like 120 PS2 games anyway (and they all have the box at least)

I didn't want to do this because I know so many (disc) games without boxes would drive me nuts.

You and me both, brother... I don't want to see any of these disc-only collections for I may lose my lunch.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

As an SNES-era Squaresoft fanboy I am surprised I never bothered with Front Mission. I remember starting it up a few times and losing interest in less than a minute; what is it like?

It is as boring as any other SRPG, so it is super boring.

Now with 100% more mechs.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I irrationally want to enjoy Saga Frontier, but the game keeps pushing me away... am I dumb to want to like it?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

PopeCrunch posted:

What's the accepted format for giving retro-thread folks first throw at games we're offloading? I don't post a lot but I read religiously, and I have SNES Breath of Fire 1 and 2 cart only (manual for 1 but it's damaged and some dork previous to me cut out one of the character portraits), LoZ:LTTP with manual, and Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (2 cart only, 3 with box and map but no manual). I'd like to get at least some money for it, hopefully at least a hundred or so for all five, but 1) I want to make sure it goes to someone that will appreciate it (so, you guys) and 2) I don't want to poo poo up the thread.

You will have no problem finding someone in this thread to :retrogames: on that bundle.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh also; Anyone got any good JRPG's to recommend on the PS2? I've played all of mine to death and I could use something new. I've got all the SMT games, both Final Fantasies (X & XII, not interested in X-2), both Kingdom Hearts, Odin Sphere (I'd get GrimGrimoire, but I'm not that much of an SRPG fan), Rogue Galaxy, and Star Ocean til the Next Sidequest End of Time. Are there any particularly good Tales games on the PS2 or anything lesser-known I might've missed?

What about the .hack series or Radiata Stories?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

cosmicjim posted:

Zen and Archon, did you guys get my gifts?

Yes, and thank you so much! Both yours and Hamburglar's gifts came on the same day... it was overwhelming.

Excuse the mess, working on the Wiki; Saoshyant is a taskmaster.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

HKR posted:

I'm gonna make some of you cringe from this photo but here's my gamestop haul:

Disc quality ranges from "looks fine" to "holy poo poo did a dog mate with that?"

Gotta go dig my beatmania controller out of storage and buy a bunch of blank DVD cases.

:barf:

I warned you.

Rygar is good and you should enjoy it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tobaccrow posted:

My Gamestop haul also came today:

I already own Japanese and US copies of Ys VI, but I got this copy so I could find a good home for it among my friends.

Please... stop... posting... these :negative:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Don't cut up Green Goblins. They are worth money and are the only decent stock stick made for the DC.

Agreed... what the hell is happening to this thread? Disc-only collections, advocating the maiming of useful peripherals...

For shame! :colbert:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ohnoitschris posted:

:smuggo:

That was in my bedroom 7 years ago, when it was new and getting rare. I drove all around the state looking for them and ended up with a metric shitload to sell. Also I threw out that Family Guy poster because gently caress family guy

If you scroll fast, Mario thrusts his crotch at you... it's hypnotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

triplexpac posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the crazy songs are made with a hacked ROM version or something, aren't they?

They all use Mario Paint Composer, which is a PC program based on Mario Paint.

• Locked thread