Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I finally got an SCART cable and RBG - component converter for my Genesis 1. It looks great, except for one problem; the whole screen now has this green tint.

(composite on the left, component on the right)

I'm using this cable and this converter. I also have this cheap thing that converts RGB to S-video, which gives me this terrible image. I know it's not the tv, since my Wii and PS2 work just fine over component. Did I get a bum cable or do I just have terrible luck with converters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

I know exactly what your problem is. Inside the SCART->YUV box there are some pots you can adjust. One of them handles the color. Just open it up and twist those pots a bit until you find the one that fixes the color.

That did the trick, everything looks great. Thanks.

Hammond Edgar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 8, 2012

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

zenintrude posted:

They all use Mario Paint Composer, which is a PC program based on Mario Paint.

Not all of them. This guy, for example, uses the regular game. He just edits the video to create longer songs than the game would allow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDh-73XHvcg

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

I swear there was a WiiWare game with a gimmick of levels being divided into different graphical styles from the 8-bit days to N64-style graphics but I can't remember enough about it to turn up any relevant results on Google.

Bit Boy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyhBkutq0VU

It's not very good unfortunately.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Kilazar posted:

Where do you obtain the game cases that people are using for making the "collector" cases up on ebay?

I don't want to pay 10 (before shipping) dollars for a custom case if I can get the base case and do my own printing for the cover. Need to start getting my better games into something other than the little dust covers.

You can get them at mediashelving.com for $42 for a pack of 100.
http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

If you don't need that many, Racketboy sells them for $1.59 a case.
http://www.racketboy.com/store/featured/universale-game-case.html

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

StellarX posted:

I'm looking at getting a 32X for my Model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD setup. First of all, does the 32X even work with the Model 1 Genesis? What all cables and adapters are necessary to connect it properly? A complete 32x seems to be pretty pricey, so I'd like to just get one with only the pieces necessary to hook it up. I'd probably end up getting that three way AC adapter thingy too, to save some power strip space.
Yes, a 32X will fit a Model 1 just fine. It's the Model 2 that requires a plastic spacer to fit properly.

As for cables, you'll need one of these to connect the Genesis to the 32x
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesi...=item2ec0276f52

And any Genesis Model 2 av cable to connect the 32x to the tv.
There's also some metal clips that go on the Genesis' cartridge slot, but they're totally unnecessary.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Wotalt posted:

Any cheap resource for 32X to model 1 Genesis adapters? The only one I can find is from a foreign seller and ridiculously priced.
I'm afraid it's not going to get much cheaper than that. Your best bet is this one from noted ebay seller retro_console_accessories. It's not much cheaper than the one you linked ($15 + $2.50 shipping), but at least it's from a US seller. It also features a headphone jack so you can get stereo sound out of the 32x.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, just found the post back on page 70.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=70#post410736893

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I'd be down for a groupbuy on the N8. I kinda wanted to wait for retrogate to offer one with a shell, but I guess buying some cheap Famicom game from ebay will be cheaper.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Keyboard Kid posted:

Was there ever any compatibility list for the Famicom Everdrive? One of the big reasons I bought it was for Gimmick!

The product page lists which mappers are supported, which combined with something like this will tell you which games aren't compatible.

To answer your question, Gimmick! uses Mapper 69, which is totally compatible with the N8.

ETA: This page lists them by game, if there's any other titles you're curious about.

Hammond Edgar fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 6, 2013

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Asbrandt posted:

With Krikzz confirming that he has his 10nes clone working, the NES version of the Everdrive N8 will be coming relatively soon.
How many people will be backing out of the group-buy for the Famicom version to go for the NES one?

I'm still in for the Famicom version. Nostalgia aside, I prefer the form factor of Famicom carts and systems over their NES counterparts. I also splurged on some import games just last week (I'll posts pics when they arrive), so I'm in not much of a hurry to get one.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

There's a good image file of a chart of every imaginable game weight you'd ever need to find out. I can't remember how I found it but I always found it first try on google. It takes all the variables into account
This the one?

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

redmercer posted:

What exactly are the two in the lower right? I tried finding the gray and gold one and Rakuten's charming auto-English translator called it "A Taxing Woman".

Seems like an accurate translation, at least according to Wikipedia. Marusa no Onna (A Taxing Woman) is an adventure game based on a Japanese comedy about a female tax auditor.

Hammond Edgar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 19, 2013

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I got a package from Japan today, from eBay seller yamatoku-classic.

Yeah, I cheaped out and went with SAL. Total wait time was 2 weeks. Not too bad for half the price of EMS. Lets open her up.

Everything looks nicely packed. Carts and boxes were separated nicely to prevents damage during transit. So what are the contents?

CIB Puyo Puyo and Yoshi's Story.

CIB Marusa no onna, Star Wars, Super Xevious, and Binary Land; and a loose Rockman 5.
Gotta say, I'm loving those tiny plastic Namco boxes. Really wish they were standard for all Famicom games.

CIB Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre; and loose copies of Rockman X3, Bahamut Lagoon, Mario All-Stars, and Dragon Ball Z Super Butouden.
The four loose carts came in a lot. I was primarily interested in Rockman X3, but Bahamut Lagoon is a nice bonus.

The Marusa no onna box has a few creases, and the back half of the DBZ cart is a slightly different color, but other than that they're all in great condition.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, Ogre Battle 64 turned me onto the series back when it came out. I tried OB and Tactics on the Playstation, but the terrible load times really soured me on the experience.
I've been playing Tactics on my Everdrive for the past few weeks and so far (about 9 missions in), I'm loving it.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Speaking of Surugaya, I just got my package from them today. Confirmation email was sent 9 days after placing my order, and the package arrived 6 days after I got my tracking number.

A Famicom AV (no controllers, no cables) and an av cable.
The Famicom was noted with "We are sorry to inform you that this item color is fade", but it doesn't look too bad. It is a bit dirty though, as you can see from the dust in the controller 2 port and the black stuff in the crevices of the top. It works just fine though, which is the important part.

CIB Family Circuit, Side Pocket, Family Pinball, Family Tennis, and Pop'n Music GB: Animation Melody; and a loose Dragon Quest III.
Pop'n Music was labeled with "We are sorry to inform you that the outer package box of this item is DAMAGE and color is fade" and yeah, the top half is pretty faded (reds look more like pink) and there's some creases here and there, but it coulde have been worse. Everything except the Famicom has that fat sticker you see on the Namco titles (the Famicom had it on some plastic wrap), but they come off real easy so it's not an issue.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Akileese posted:

So do I have to send an email to surugaya in response to the Automated email that I received regarding the order I placed?

No. You only have to respond to the email with the shipping cost on it. You'll get it in about 9 days.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Unmature posted:

Do any of you guys catalog your game collections? I'm getting to the point where I have enough games that I'm forgetting what I do have and I wanna have a reliable, portable list of them. Is there a certain program or app you use? What's the best/cheapest/free-est one?

I've been using rfgeneration to keep track of my stuff. There's an Android app that lets you access your database on your phone.

I also keep a spreadsheet on Google Docs, though that's more for keeping track of which games I've beaten. All these discussions on collecting vs playing that keep popping up in the thread got me curious just how much of my collection I've actually beaten. I was too lazy to re-enter all my data on another website like backloggery, so I just exported a .csv from my rfgeneration database, cleaned it up a bit, and marked any previously beaten games as complete. For games without a proper ending or massive anthologies (more than 5 games in 1), I mark complete if I felt like I've played enough to justify the purchase.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

I'm curious if anyone here has one of these two:

A pirated GBA cart with a MODE7 or other intro. There was a news story about a kid who told his Dad that his copy of Yoshi's Island was telling him GREETINGS! and gently caress YOU! It was a used gamestop cart. No-Intro was a new idea and for the last time in history the official numbered scene releases had intros all the time.

[video]
Maktones released all his .mod music at some point.

I have a pirated copy of Contra Advance with a MODE7 intro. I think I got it from a Game Crazy, back when those were still around. It doesn't have any music though. Just some Mario Bros. sprites popping in and out of pipes.

Scrolling text is nothing special, either. Just basic release date, game title, game size, supplier, and a gretting to "just about everyone except this scenes lameass usa store suppliers."

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

StellarX posted:

I can't really tell by the image, but does the Everdrive N8-NES version require a SD card slot be drilled in the cart or can you just insert the board after putting in your card. I know most of the everdrive carts have the card sticking out somewhere in the cart, even if it's just a small amount.

Here are some better pictures.

Unless you're going to use a low-profile SD card adapter like this, you're going to have to drill a slot.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah well I'd only be wasting money if I didn't buy the Turbo Everdrive :v:

By the way, if I buy a "spare" game for the TG16, can I pry it open so I can have a shell around the Turbo Everdrive? Or do you gotta bareback it like that?

You're going to have to get the deluxe edition from Stone Age Gamer if you want a covered Turbo Everdrive.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/turbo-everdrive-deluxe.html

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Just placed my order with Rakuten.

Hope this goes off without a hitch. Of the three times I've tried ordering in the past, only 1 was successful.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Also, what would I search for if I wanted Kirby's Dream Course for the SFC?
カービィボウル

When in doubt, check Wikipedia. More often than not, they'll have the Japanese name writen out in Japanese characters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby%27s_Dream_Course

quote:

Kirby's Dream Course (Kirby Bowl (カービィボウル Kābī Bouru?) in Japan)

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Just got my confirmation email from Rakuten. Looks like Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius for the SFC was out of stock, but everything else in my order came through alright. Thankfully, the 5000 JPY free shipping offer covered the whole order (with 300 JPY to spare). Now to see if my credit card company is willing to play ball or not.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Speaking of Rakuten, my card was charged without incident (other than a short confirmation phone call for a $0.01 test charge back when I first placed the order) and I've got my tracking number.

edit: I just got the e-mail from Surugaya; does this total sound right?
code:

Total item amount : \25720JPY

International Shipping : \7550JPY (We can send only EMS.)

Handling fee : \1286JPY

Campaign discount : \5000JPY

Total amount billed : \29556JPY
Meaning, does it look like the promotional shipping discount is being applied properly?
Yup. The 7550 JPY is the shipping cost before the discount and the 5000 is how much you were discounted, so you were only charged 2550 JPY for shipping. 25720+2550+1286=29556

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Island Nation posted:

SD2SNES already backordered

Does anyone know if a green screen on a AV Famicom is normal when a game is not loaded in it?

Yeah, that's normal. My AV Famicom does the same thing and works just fine otherwise.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
The only pre-NES game system I'm interested in is the ColecoVision, and it's definitely more about nostalgia than the library. I was born in '87 so the NES was my intro to gaming. I didn't even know older game consoles existed until my dad bought a ColecoVision, at a yard sale. I don't remember how many games he got with it, but the ones I remember enjoying were Venture, Pepper II, Mr. Do, and Cabbage Patch Kids Picture Show. I already have Mr. Do on the SNES, but Venture and Pepper II look like something I might still enjoy for a few minutes. Don't know what to tell you about the Cabbage Patch Kids game other than I was a dumb kid.

Unfortunately the ColecoVision didn't last long in our house. Among the pile of Coleco games was Space Fury. The intro features a creepy-looking (to my 4-year-old self, anyway) alien head while freaky space music plays in the background. I interpreted the sounds as alien speech and thought the creature was talking directly to me. This scared the poo poo out of my, and I ran out of the room crying. My parents got rid of the Coleco and all the games shortly thereafter.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Maybe, but I didn't get any emails about that. I cut it really close too so if a couple items didn't make it I could be SOL.

Re-read your confirmation email. That's where they notify you on the condition of your items, including if it's out of stock. Here's an excerpt from my order, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Another Rakuten post for the pile.

Some brainbusting pro wrestling action: Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, Fire Pro Wrestling D, Atsushi Onita FMW, and Virtual Pro Wrestling 2.

Some brainbusting puzzlers: Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World, Guru Logic Champ, Puyo Puyo Tsuu and Puyo Puyo Sun.

And some other misc. stuff: Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing, Yoshi's Safari, Rhythm Tengoku, Congo's Caper, Aero Fighters, and a Super Game Boy

• Locked thread