Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

iastudent posted:

How often does doujindance offer stuff on eBay? Currently he doesn't have any consoles for sale, the last one it looks like was sold on the 27th of last month.

Put them as a favorite seller or setup a saved search for rgb pc engine and have it email results. It took me a few weeks of checking to get one.

For scart switches there is a middle ground between the lovely plastic grey ones and the expensive as hell shinybow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hama-Scart-Switch-Box-AV-100S-Silver-/350630494199?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a334bff7

I have the metal version of this and it works great. Someone in IRC was talking about hama switches also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slightly-Us...=item4d06786c2d

These are goddamn horrible.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

For retro collecting there are a few other places I use that haven't been mentioned. Used dvd stores, these usually have a video game section and maybe even retro. Other internet forums, notables are
nintendoage.com
segaage.com
atariage.com
racketboy.com
digipress.com
neo-geo.com

Having an idea of what a game generally sells for can help you find good deals. I use videogamepricecharts.com which has an android app.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

[used] 7 [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image] which is boiled where breed in Sega Saturn software(141000710001)

:catstare:

Also how does theory get added onto "there is no box"

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I created a steam group for us. It was a lot of work. "Retro Goons Thread"

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I just set it to public but it might take a while to show up. I thought invite only would send me a message when someone asked for membership. Think it makes it so I'd have to manually invite everyone.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Model number of that battery holder please :allears:

Double please.

Those look the same as the ones I got from a guy on nintendo-age after going through ~15 other kinds. And then he stopped replying to pm's

Seconding Galloping Ghost as well. If you live in the tri-states it might even be worth a trip if you like arcades.

I also live near a gameworks and haven't been there in years. Used to play DDR but most of the machines were in really bad repair. Their retro section was like centipide and pacman, but they had multiple neo geo cabs :iiam:

Nickel city in northbrook , used to also be good but they closed as far as i know.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 7, 2012

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Caitlin posted:

Nickel City is still open unless it recently (very recently) exploded or something. I live near the Schaumburg GW so it's in pretty great repair, I just don't go that often. Upside is I get to play poo poo like Technika and Sangokushi Taisen.

Oh cool ill have to check it out again. If i remember right all of their classic stuff is free play.

Schaumburg GW is the one I used to go to also. Do they still have that deal on Thursday where you can play from like 7pm until closing for $20?

zenintrude posted:

Oh shiiit! Someone bout to have some mothafuckin' presents all up in theys grill

Look at Mr Fancy with his wrapping paper. I was considering it but I filled a large flat rate box pretty much to the brim. Don't think I could have crammed wrapping in as well.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 8, 2012

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

http://mightyohm.com/blog/2011/04/soldering-is-easy-comic-book/

how to solder, in comic book form

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Figured you guys would be interested in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-OMrOxyso

After seeing the title I thought

Oh great another franchise x franchise 2 fighter, meanwhile we haven't had a new mega man game since 10

I was happily surprised halfway through. Now just let me throw money at you capcom!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

StellarX posted:

I used to do a bit of soldering back in the day, I was excellent at installing chips in playstations and xboxes so I shouldn't be this bad, but I've been messing up lately. I think my soldering iron is causing issues. It seems to take way too much pressure and time to get the solder to melt. It's a really cheap iron I got off amazon so I may try to get one from radio shack as well as the resistor. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a soldering iron for game/system repair?

I do already have a copy of Mario Kart that works great so if anyone else would like the broken one to tinker with, I'd be glad to give to you if you cover the shipping. Otherwise I may try to repair it.

I also already have a copy of Link to the Past apparently, if anyone would like that, just make me an offer.

A working iron should melt solder nearly instantaneously with no pressure.

I'd recommend something with a smaller tip, preferably a chisel type head.

http://www.mpja.com/Mini-Solder-Station-ZD-99/productinfo/15860+TL/

This is what I started with and it worked fine for creating a super gun, s-video modding an atari 7800 and various smaller projects.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

AwwJeah posted:

I simultaneously received a message in my inbox, a tracking number, and a package at my door today just as I stepped out for work. Just as I learned I was to be gifted a box of cats, there it is on my porch. Spooky.

The box is without holes for air and I need to get to my job. Hope the kitties are okay until I can get home and deal with it!

:ohdear:

Please tell me you at least brought them inside and put some airholes in the box.

People that abandon animals need to get rectal cancer.

If you have any questions about temporarily homing cats head on over to the pet island subforum.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The postal service claims that my Santee will receive their package on Saturday. The box of horrors will be unleashed!

With a new Genesis here I had to run out and buy a bunch of Genesis games. Preferably ones that do what Nintendon't. So I snatched up:

Aladdin
The Lion King
Light Crusader
X-Men
Rocket Knight Adventures
Viewpoint
Sword of Vermillion

I'm probably going to stop and pick up another armful on the way into work tonight because Genesis stuff is so cheap. I'm going to own all the mascot platformers!

Awesome additions, glad you are enjoying it.

Pickup gunstar heroes at some point also, if you like run and guns.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

My secret santa box arrived today.

Look at all this nice wrapping and what a fantastic duck.

As per the cards instructions I have paid tribute to the duck by creating a extremely accurate statue of it.

Thats some pretty nice wrapping i should carefully... gently caress it #yolo

Holy crap what a haul.

I've been wanting cyborg justice for a while but keep forgetting about it. I didn't even know their was an alterted beast version on gba. Ice Climber has also been on my meaning to get but I forgot about it. Thats a great start to my 3DO collection and beefed up my Genesis collection as well.

Monster Party...

I remeber this game as a kid and saw a screenshot of it recently which brought back a nostalgia wave. So I picked it up about 2 weeks ago and forgot to update rfgeneration. Its just as wierd and difficult as I remember.

Since I now have 2 copies, in the holiday spirit the first person to post that they would like this game will get it.

The lobster was met with sniffing and interest.

Thanks Panic Restaurant!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

MONSTER PARTY PLEASE

e.

What a loving deal, my word. :aaa:

pm me your deets

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

For desoldering old batteries from carts here is what I do.

I'd recommend a helping hands stand or some other way to hold the cart in place.

1. put a flathead screwdriver between the battery and board.
2. heat one of the solder pads from the opposite side.
3. gently pry with the flathead screwdriver. The solder tab should slide right through as the solder is molten.

4. Repeat on other side or just pull the battery with your hand/pliers while the solder is hot.

If you are having trouble getting the pads molten, flow some new solder on to them, preferably the type with flux.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Just a reminder we have a steam group for chatting/gifting/sending 8-bit butt pics

Retro Goons Thread

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retrogoons

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

So I just ordered a PSP Go cradle and a charger, and after some hesitation the LKV7000. It says it only scales the picture up to 1440x900 which isn't that a 4:3 size? Maybe it will scale the picture up to 720p and then my TV will do the rest. I'm not actually sure what the maximum resolution over VGA is, but it should be sufficient if the Xbox 360 can do HD over VGA. Stuff should arrive late next week and I'll post some pictures and impressions.

Interested in this trip report.

Where is a good place to buy one of these in the US?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Medullah posted:

I'm curious, and this may not be the best thread to post this in, but does anyone have any good game cataloging software? I use DVD Profiler to track my DVDs and Blu-Rays, it'd be cool to be able to export a list of all my video games.

rfgeneration.com is pretty nice. It also has an android and ios(?) app. You can export to excel.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

My consoles remain sticker free except for my nes which is covered in nintendo trading card stickers, just like my childhood one.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I have that iron or a model very much near it. The stand is metal and is very solid. If i put pressure on the non stand end of the tip, the stand will flip over long before the iron comes out.

I use a cheap desoldering iron with a bulb sucker combo i got from radio shack. Braid I never got to work, and I didn't like the plunger sucker I had.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 19, 2013

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Midnight Raider posted:

I thought I heard that these were less than ideal due to making it harder to make small movements, like creeping/walking in SM64 and the like. Or something, I forget what the complaint was. But I've still been thinking of getting one anyway, just because I want to make some use of my older controller's sticks again, which were more or less wrung out totally due to years of using them.

Got a link to this?

I remember either in this thread or skimming the old one long ago an idea for like a book club for retro games, where people would endeavor to play through one particular of them around the same time so it could be discussed. I wondered if anything ever came of that, or if the thread you mention evolved from that idea.

Edit: ^^^ Maybe one of those crazy "Flashcarts with super memory you can fit FMVs on" projects is going to result in getting the actual SNES games but with the PSX cutscenes someday.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512313

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

loving angled D-pads, man. I'm pretty sure I still have one of these:

hanging around somewhere (from late 90's / early 00's) and it never felt 'right'. Hell of a lot better than KB for emulation, though.

Oh poo poo i had one of these also for emulation. I worked at best buy at the time and i think it was ~$40 so i used it for longer than I should of even though it sucked.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Caitlin posted:

For anyone in the Chicagoland area, Galloping Ghost is having a swap meet tomorrow starting at 11AM.

I know I'll sure as hell be there.

There is also currently a Groupon available for passes in lots of 2 for $14 or 4 for $24. I sure as hell bought THAT, too.

Dammit to hell. This was new glasses/taxes/rent paycheck or I would be there, oh well I'll keep it in mind for next year.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

flyboi posted:

I'd work on getting the extension cable first, you need the Neo Geo extension cable to do anything out of that port as the famicom has a nonstandard longer db15 port

But the schematic is easy enough

I have this setup, just keep in mind that the original rectangular nes controllers don't work with this. Inputs are mixed and some just dont work (left hits button B etc). Dogbones and every 3rd party controller I have works fine. We were talking about it in IRC at some point and I guess its a known issue.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

jyrque posted:

I took a walk around the internet and found this just lying around. Thought a short tour at a Japanese retro hovel would belong in this thread.

I can smell this room, sweat and old cigarettes, lovely.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

H1KE posted:

The cart would benefit more, since you can just slot it in instead of having to mount it etc. I believe the cart was released after the PCB. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure.

Speaking of which, he asked me what else I was chasing and I mentioned Neo Geo stuff. He said he has a 6-Slot MVS system he'd like to sell. :retrogames:

6 slots are notorious pains in the asses. 4 slots are a bit wonky but not to the same extent. I'm actually considering ditching my 4 slot for a 2 slot. Playing cart roulette anytime I load 4 games in nullifies the benefit of having a 4 slot supergun.

The multislots are very particular about which order the games are loaded in, and while you can usually use mbit size going from low to high, its not anywhere near an exact science. They are also more particular about dirt and bootlegs.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

H1KE posted:

This is good to know, as I was considering leaving the 6-slotter and forking out around $220 for a Single Slot + 111 Game Cart instead. Suppose it depends on how much he'd want for it. I also wondered last night in bed if the 5 slot JAMMA board would accept a Neo Geo 6-Slotter plus 4 other JAMMA boards...

Probably not, but just imagining the monstrosity made me laugh. :v:

That would be quite a cabinet. Just incase you weren't aware any MVS board with more than 1 slots is not jamma compatible. You can get an adapter from jammaboards or somewhere else. Or just wire one up yourself.

Stopped by half price books because they are running a 20% coupon. Only picked up NES pacman for $5.

They had legend of zelda in a locked case for $25 :psyduck:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Yep, and this is exactly why I don't bother with stepdown converters. Instead of having a bunch of giant bricks hanging around or one that I constantly have to unplug stuff from to switch systems, I just get supplies that can provide the right voltage at at least the right current (with the correct polarity and the correct tip if I can so I don't have to gently caress around with rewiring those) and I'm set.

Edit:

Unfortunately, that's kinda true. I've got enough of a background in this stuff that I can manage, but I've found that very few electrical engineers are good at explaining things (which, incidentally, is why every course I've taken in it has been non-stop pain and suffering) so I'm not surprised that there are questions on it. We should really put that big info block flyboi wrote up in the OP or the wiki or something.

Retrogaming got me into basic electronics, It was on my list of things to learn but I find myself more motivated when I have tasks to learn around.

With just this book http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electron...ake+electronics and some googling I was able to build a super gun, s-video mod an atari 7800 and do other small repair work.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

flyboi posted:

There are two controllers to fds. When it first came out it was pretty much open to whatever this model is called the 7201 based off the controller that it used which was pretty much open to whatever. Give me code ill play a game etc. piracy became rampant so Nintendo reworked the controller on the fds to combat piracy to be more restrictive. That controller is the 3206 which is very picky about the nes sector along other things. The turbo twin is more common with the 3206 chip.

Also yeah, it's from hit japan but they didn't even advertise the pirated software on the listing.

Flyboi do you have splatterhouse to try out with your famicom converter? I didn't check many other games after figuring out my convertor problem seemed to stem from the classic controllers whereas dogbones worked fine.

I have a lot more famicom carts now that i'll have to try out.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The only system I dont use alphabetical for is Genesis. Black w/grid sorted alphabetical, then red stripes, then everything else.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

If you can unscrew it enough to fit a tiny flathead under the head you should be able to slowly work it out.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I didn't realize it was a security bit, the superglue trick mentioned earlier might work or the pen trick, removing all of the pen stuff from a ball point pen, heating the circular tip, then jamming it in there to let it cool.

Thats going to be a pain to get out, if it wasn't recessed you could just cut a notch into the top that a flathead could use with a metal saw.

edit: Will removing the rest of the screws allow you to open the case enough to cut the screw below the head?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Before you get all psyched up about ngpc's just know that they are frontlit or whatever. Really hard to see if you don't have direct light on the screen ala the original gameboy.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Getting furniture that will hold the weight/depth of a crt is the biggest cost and it looks like you are set.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Where can one get ps1 modchips nowadays?

Any certain brands/type to get? Can't imagine there being many choices

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Techokami posted:

So The Kins suggested that I ask in here about this... recently, I purchased a Namco Classic Collection Volume 1 PCB off eBay. There is only one problem with it: the solder on one capacitor pin has let go. This is the only damage on the board, everything else seems to check out (I currently do not have a cabinet or supergun to test the board with; I am planning to build cabinets for it - and a Volume 2 board I also purchased - some time later this year.) Should I just heat up my soldering iron and reaffix the pin? Or is there something better I can do to repair this board? It has honestly been a while since I last did any electronics work...

You can try heating the solder up and pushing the pin back in, might work fine. Or just replace the capacitor, if its electrolytic note the polarity before removing it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

roffels posted:

All the good stuff in the vendor hall will be snatched up by then. There's usually some really good deals on NES and Genesis games. Less people in the pinball rooms and exhibit halls though I bet. It's a pretty great time, it's just a big interactive retro game museum.

This will be my 3rd year going. Also just doing Sunday this year in hopes of grabbing up some last minute deals.

The game rooms are always cool, finding a free cab in the arcade/pinball hall might be easier on Sunday. Though the console room has led to more than a few pricey purchases for me (a famicom and crisis force was the big one).

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

There's debate as to whether or not there's really any difference between them all. Unfortunately, the ones that came out in the Dreamcast's heyday are ridiculously expensive now (like $90+). However, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can put a VGA port on your Dreamcast for almost nothing.

If you are not good with a soldering iron, this dude was just discovered selling VGA boxes he himself makes:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42388-Dreamcast-VGA-box-amp-Scanline-generator

:catstare:

I didn't realize they had gone up so much, i have a blue naki and a hais. Think i'll look at the instructions for modding the console and sell the externals to fund more dreamcast games.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm hoping to pickup a decently priced of Donpachi for Saturn at MGC this weekend. The local arcade has a cab of it (galloping ghost if you are in IL) that I've been pretty close to getting into the high score table on.

The only sat shooters I have are galactic attack/layer section (plz get this if you have a saturn its dirt cheap) gunbird and radiant silvergun. Looking to improve that a bit, maybe pickup some psx ones as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Keyboard Kid posted:

If his Famicom is an original one, that buzzing might be the mic--they very commonly do that and might need a little alcohol on the slider.

If that doesn't work you could try I guess setting up a breadboard with a pot between the famicoms audio out positive, the splitter cable im assuming your using for dual mono, and your switch, to figure out if adding resistance help.

• Locked thread