Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Just wanted to say for anyone who might have ordered an SD2SNES from Retrogate, I ordered on October 15 and it just shipped. Also, you'll get a Ukraine Post tracking number probably (RA#########UA), and it was kind of an unintuitive process to find out how to track registered Ukraine mail:

http://www.ukrposhta.com/www/upost_en.nsf/search_post?openpage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Anyone put those kitsch-bent backlit Game Boy screens in a Game Boy Pocket? :10bux: such a reasonable price for them, but I also kind of want to wait for new colors to get back in stock.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Mill Village posted:

I don't have any more SNES and NES games or the systems, so I'm really interested in the flash carts. Do they work with the clone systems? Google is not helping me very much.

I've heard of people using PowerPaks on their clones, others should work but I don't have any clone systems. SNES consoles aren't expensive though, so why not buy original systems?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
If you're questioning the reliability of old Nintendo stuff then I guess it's time to post this image again...

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Mill Village posted:

Alright, I'll get an original SNES then. The SNES Jr's cartridge slot is too small for the SD2SNES, correct?

Untrue - I ordered a SD2SNES from Retrogate with the fancy universal case, which fits both my US model 1 SNES and Japanese SFC Jr. (still on its way though).

All USA systems take the larger, square cartridges. The smaller cartridges you're thinking of are PAL/Japan cartridges. But you usually get the SD2SNES as the bare board itself, and you can replace the board in any cart you want with it.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Does anyone want my CIB Tetris Attack or cartridge only Kirby Super Star?

I love both games, I just have their Japanese equivalents on the way and kind of want to keep expanding my SFC collection. I can't stop!

(i never realized it was okay to offer games in this thread)

edit: Also if anyone wants a really cheap USA Saturn console (the good model to mod), I just posted about it in SA Mart and would be more than happy to sell to a retro games thread dude: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516059

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 7, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I've seen SNES cartridges take some pretty hosed up abuse but I have yet to see one that's actually broken. That sucks, something heavy must have fallen on it.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I don't have any Genesis systems. Someone who just wants to throw out their Genesis 3 should send it to me

e: On that note, PM me if you have an extra grey Dual Analog/DualShock...

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 7, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I've always wanted to come across a copy of that in real life! I thought it specifically needed Wolfenstein 3D though. It just uses a real cart to pass the piracy checks then?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

OSI bean dip posted:

If people want to send me random poo poo to replicate that image, I am game. I don't have a Game Genie for my SNES so I am willing to do this. :)

If having a SNES Game Genie will help you do anything awesome with that game, I will be more than happy to lend you mine

Charles Martel posted:

I was under the impression that this thread was a more "retro" gaming thread instead of a "hardware purist" thread, and I think all retro gamers should post in here about games and poo poo no matter how they play them.

No reason to get upset, this is a retro games thread, but you also should realize that this thread is populated very heavily by people who are not only serious hardware nerds, but purist in the sense that many of us are strict about playing on real hardware because the imperfections caused by emulation bug us too much (it's kind of like going into an audiophile thread and complaining that everyone there is losing their poo poo because you listen to MP3's)

You (and nobody else) should feel deterred at all from talking about retro games, we encourage retro games discussion! We're just going to keep nerding out and making fun of people who use emulators :) It shouldn't stop anyone from doing what they enjoy.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 8, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I wasn't discouraging the usage of emulators or anything, because I completely agree, and it's the only way I've been able to enjoy countless bizarre systems.

(On an unrelated note though, not only did my Ukraine Post tracking for my SD2SNES start updating already, it's located in KYIV DOPP TSEKH №2 TRANZ SEKTOR which is the coolest name for a post office I've ever heard)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
The only system where I've actually played a majority of the games (not including consoles like VB/Neo Geo Pocket that had a tiny library) is Dreamcast, not including any sports titles. I tend to ignore most American only release titles though since they tend to be sports/movie games.

I have no idea what percentage of released titles I've played or anything like that, but still definitely the Dreamcast. The SNES comes in second place, but I've beaten so few games for that (I've beaten EarthBound at least once a year since I got it though). My problem is that I usually play about a third of most RPGs because I rarely am invested enough to actually finish the whole thing, plus the vast majority of my gaming consists of Street Fighter/shmups/games you can beat relatively quickly like Jet Grind Radio or Bangai-O/Tetris Attack. That tends to be true of most of my games collection as well, which is kind of sparse compared to others in this thread.

e: If anyone has a spare Playstation S-Video cable I would be more than happy to send you $$$ or something fun in trade for one. I can't wait to have PS1 in my collection again :toot: and I'm :swoon: about being able to play Space Griffon VF-9 with readable text. Same with an extra grey PS controller.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 10, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got a package from THE INTERNET today but I've been too busy with it to post it for you fools

(the game is Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle btw)

i <3 burgler :swoon:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Were you all aware there's PS1/PS2 SCART cables on eBay shipping from the USA?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-PRO-RGB-CABLE-FOR-PLAYSTATION-1-/350575830282?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item519ff2a50a

I found about it while sifting through different threads on Google. I'm gonna order one for my PS1/PS2.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
This might be a good time to mention that anyone that has JP Saturn games they don't want or don't know why they have, they should hit me up, but I'm not collecting rares or anything (for the most part).

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Pinguliten posted:

You can also get a region free dev bios in there but that requiers changing the bios chip since it's not reflashable. A video showing the hacked katana bios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWFhMi-lDmw

Has anyone here done this? I've been hearing about hacked Dreamcast BIOS for a couple years now but have yet to find anything definite on the matter or hear from someone who has done it to their own DC (I guess needing to replace the BIOS chip itself scares off a lot of people)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
KRIKzz has such nice handwriting.

Might post more pics later

e: sorry for the terrible lighting, but I just wanted to post this for whoever was worried the Retrogate SD2SNES cases wouldn't fit in a SFC Jr.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 14, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
For anyone else with SD2SNES, is there a more reliable firmware version that 0.1.4a on sd2snes.de? Top Gear 3000 doesn't start and Momotaro Dentetsu Happy stops at a "SPC7110 Check Program" screen...

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Kreeblah posted:

As far as Top Gear 3000 goes, do you have the DSP4 dump on your SD card? It doesn't come with the firmware ZIP, so you need to track it down yourself. For your other game, the SPC7110 isn't supported yet and that game is specifically listed on the incompatibility list.

Oh, I sorted all my ROMs by chipset and forgot I didn't already separate out the ones the SD2SNES didn't support. Thanks for that though. I remember reading about needing a DSP4 dump already, but I forgot to do it. Thanks for that knowledge.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES from a goon a few months ago, and for some reason it just wouldn't work until I cleaned it endlessly and then let it sit for about a week. Now it works like a charm! I already beat it on a flash cart while my copy wasn't working, though. Anyone want one below eBay rates? :j:

I sold my Kirby Super Star to a goon in this thread today too :) expect pictures of today's retro haul soon, too!

e: DK64 for $30? Is it that rare :stonk: Did you at least get the expansion pack with it? Then again I dunno what's it's like to be Australian with the economy and stuff.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No expansion pack, just the cart. :eng101: Games are a lot more expensive here than in your big sunshine-filled place of single-digit second-hand game prices. Most N64 games go for about $20, average, here. Donkey Kong 64 (or at least the yellow cart, which is the one I got) generally goes for $45-50. Banjo-Tooie starts at $60 and climbs higher due to it being rare in PAL-land.

Man... You should invest in a flash cart, it sounds like it costs as much as you getting two more expensive games. I've been known to be a N64 hater but I nobody should have to pay that much jiust to play Banjo Tooie...

Oh, I almost forgot to attach pics! I dig Panel de Pon much more because I've never been that big a fan of the Mario/Yoshi theme, anime theme will always be my favorite :911:

(3 edits before I actually remembered to attach it)

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 17, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I've been too busy trying to get halfway decent at Asuka 120% Burning Fest and Touki Denshou to get on with my life as I should.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any extra PS2 memory cards lying around they wouldn't mind parting with, send me a PM!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I recharged my bank account for Rakuten today! That and Asuka 120% are the reasons I put out 10 pages of quality writing in 4 hours today.

But holy poo poo I can't stop playing Asuka 120% Final Burning Fest. I'm still terrible at it (4 of every 5 matches I win because the time runs out) but I haven't been this hooked on a game in a minute :haw:

Oh, also, me and Hamburglar aka Miyamotos RGB NES are gonna join forces to get knowledge about modding the Saturn clones (namely the JVC V-Saturn)...! I want to post pics of my SFC recording rig but I still can't find the cable I need to hook it up :unsmigghh:

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 20, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
In between my last post and this post, I got a lot better at Asuka 120%.

But what I really want to say is, $123 is a lot to spend on games! IF anyone's looking to spend less but still get in on the free shipping deal, anyone wanna coordinate ordering for two people at once and then splitting it up when it gets here? Would cost about an extra $10 for shipping once it gets to the USA, I guess. Who knows, I might take it back and just spend the money.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Is the cheapest way to get Saturn s-video cables really to get them from the UK? :(

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Master System accessories are somewhat rare in themselves. The really weird thing is how goddamn hard it is to get ahold of SMS controllers on their own.

Aren't most broken or something?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I sure hope my order doesn't get cancelled because I don't have a real Japanese billing address! :haw:

Items:
[used] Welcome to Sega Saturn software Pia carrot! [first press version] [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image](141000994001)
Unit Price JPY 400 x 1 pcs = JPY 400 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
[used] Sega Saturn software street fighter collection [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image](141000811001)
Unit Price JPY 800 x 1 pcs = JPY 800 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
[used] Sega Saturn software anger chief bee [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image](141000809001)
Unit Price JPY 3510 x 1 pcs = JPY 3510 ( tax incl. Shipping fee incl. )
----------
[used] Sega Saturn software AI igo [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image](141001251001)
Unit Price JPY 550 x 1 pcs = JPY 550 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
[used] 2 [10P9Nov12] Sega Saturn software cotton [fs01gm] [image](141000896001)
Unit Price JPY 2360 x 1 pcs = JPY 2360 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
[used] セガサターンソフトマーヴル super heroes [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image](141000777001)
Unit Price JPY 740 x 1 pcs = JPY 740 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
[used] セガサターンソフトナイツ [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image](141000318001)
Unit Price JPY 180 x 1 pcs = JPY 180 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
[used] 7 [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image] which is boiled where breed in Sega Saturn software(141000710001)
Unit Price JPY 1330 x 1 pcs = JPY 1330 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
[used] Sega Saturn hardware expansion RAM cartridge (4MB) [10P9Nov12] [fs01gm] [image](141001036001)
Unit Price JPY 1200 x 1 pcs = JPY 1200 ( tax incl. Shipping fee not incl. )
Subtotal JPY 11070
Consumption tax JPY 0
Shipping fee To be confirmed by shop
---------------------------------------------------
Total JPY 11070 (Shipping fee estimated separately)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Kreeblah posted:

Why hello there.

Make some good recordings of it, if you have hardware to do so! I've been wanting one just to mess with a MT-32 compatible tracker even though it's, at heart, a watered down Roland D-50

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

triplexpac posted:

Anyone know of a program to play SPC files on mac? I have NoiseES for my iPhone which I love, I'd like something like that for my iMac

http://bannister.org/software/ao.htm

It's appropriately about to get its first update in a loooong time too

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I finally own a Japanese Saturn! Now I can happily sell all my other systems and games and just buy more J-Saturn games :dukedog:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I already have the game and a 4MB cart but thank you!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neo Rasa posted:

First order of business is every SNK game and Wan Chai Connection.

I saw Wan Chai Connection when I put in my huge Surugaya-a-too order, but I have no idea why I didn't just do it! It was so cheap too!

I need get a few cheap idol CDs and VN's though.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Tyson Tomko posted:

Speaking of blown minds, how the poo poo have I never heard of Virtual Chess 64? This game is incredible, looks good, and has a mellow as hell soundtrack...think Mario 64 Aquarium mellow at times.

I used to see this all the time at the local Blockbuster but nobody would ever rent it. Is it actually good?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I want to get Phalanx again for the SFC. The Gainax influence is so present!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Zeether posted:

Still my favorite cover art:

The PAL version also has the Japanese name on it, Salamander, which I think sounds better.

Salamander rules, I have the Salamander Collection for Saturn on the way!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Yes don't use UPS at all, they're terrible. Are you asking them to pack your stuff up for you, too? Not only are they way too expensive but for that as well but they do a really questionable job of packing (gonna ask that pic of the Neo Geo doesn't get posted again)

If you can't use USPS then use FedEx with insurance and signature confirmation. FedEx is good about getting you checks if they gently caress up your shipment :patriot:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

fatpat268 posted:

I'll be sad when I see all the pictures, but I couldn't really participate this time around as I don't really have the money to spend right now. All that money is going towards an xrgb mini right now. :unsmigghh:

Well that, and I recently picked bought a retrode and am now feeding an obsession of gamecube games. I swear, I have more fun buying stuff than I do playing the games. :retrogames:

I agree with this completely of everything except that I don't have a retrode and I'm in the middle of a 3DS kick right now which is warding off my oncoming GameCube phase for a little while longer.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Has anyone who ordered from Rakuten (specifically Surugaya-a-too) gotten an order confirmation yet :qq:?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

JJJJJS posted:

I know a guy locally who has around 500 cabs. Me and a couple guys are trying to set up a deal with him for a couple cabs. I'll see if I can get this moving in the next week and let you know.

Also, I have a 3rd Strike set up. I thought that was important to mention.

Sucks you're on the other end of the country! I'm also a 3rd Strike superfan and would kill to have it set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'm asking here instead of asking Surugaya directly because holy poo poo are they slow at getting back to you (also I emailed them like a week ago).

Anyone received their order confirmation and added some more items in afterwards? If I'm spending $40 on shipping i might as well add a few games to the box.

• Locked thread