Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

So I'm going to take the plunge on getting a Dreamcast – it's gonna be my first Sega console!

I know I'm going to have to get some extra cables to get it to work with my HDTV. Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HPU96FI

http://smile.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-1080p-Converter-Adapter/dp/B009L4X3ZA

If there's anything else I should know as a new DC owner, please tell me. I'm absolutely open to game recommendations too – I ordered Crazy Taxi and Chu Chu Rocket, and the next on my list is Soul Calibur. Generally I enjoy weird/action/racing/fighting/puzzle games that aren't super difficult. I was considering Jet Grind Radio but I heard it gets really frustrating so I was kind of hesitant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Thanks to everyone for the Dreamcast recommendations! I have a lot to consider!

If I get Typing of the Dead, do I need the keyboard + mouse or just the keyboard?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

So I finally have my Dreamcast and all of the cable and converter stuff. I don't get any kind of signal using the converter/HDMI on my new TV, but I'm able to use HDMI on an old one I had laying around. Is there anything I can do to get the DC to work with the new one? Any kind of settings I need to enable or is it just too new? I can get the brand and stuff if that makes a difference.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My Dreamcast always skips the Soul Calibur opening movie. Is it more likely to be a problem with the disc or the console? I just got the game from a used shop and they used a resurfacing machine on it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Speaking of Shenmue, how does it hold up in 2016? I've never played it but I sort of feel like it's my duty to experience it as a new Dreamcast owner.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Never had real experience with sports games, but I thought my Dreamcast library wouldn't be complete without NFL 2K1. Wish me luck!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Speaking of the Dreamcast, Sonic Adventure 1 or Sonic Adventure 2?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah I've heard a lot of mixed things about the games but I feel like it would be weird to own a DC without getting some form of Sonic. Maybe get SA1 and only play the Sonic levels?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I just opened my sealed copy of NFK 2K1 and I'm having a lot of problems. The game usually starts up, hits the Sega screen, and then goes back to the home menu like there's not a disc inside. Once I managed to get 15 minutes through the tutorial mode, but it abruptly quit and went back home at the end of the 1st quarter.

Because the game is completely new, I'm not inclined to blame the disc. I was able to play Chu Chu Rocket afterwards but I haven't tried any other games. I'll probably get some q-tips and rubbing alcohol tomorrow, but is there anything else I can do? I'm not really mechanically inclined so I don't like the idea of replacing the laser or whatever.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Do you have Shenmue on a legit disk or burned copy? That game was really susceptible to problems with reading the disc in both versions, and if you go to play it and have problems it could be a good indication that something's starting to break with the reading systems.

Chu Chu Rocket is really quite a small game - the game content is under 250 megabytes on disk and a good deal of that is PC extras like wallpapers and such that are uncompressed and thus take up a lot of space, so the true amount that needs to be loaded ever is even lower.

Incidentally if you could go put your CCR disk in a computer and copy the PC files off and upload it somewhere, that'd be great, I lost my CCR disk years ago!

I don't have Shenmue, unfortunately. Other games I have are Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Typing of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, and Soul Calibur – do any of those sound like big games that might be equivalent?

I would love to help you out with CCR but I only have a Mac, so I'm not really equipped to rip and upload right now.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It's always agony for me to choose between two good deals. Passed up Marvel vs. Capcom 1 to get Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I doubt I'd get one anytime soon, but was the Neo Geo X good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Virtual On is still an amazing game but I think I was spoiled by the 360 version, the Dreamcast controls are clunky as hell. It's hard not to fantasize about importing a Twin Stick...

• Locked thread