Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
We might need a system for selling to goons that's related to the wiki or #retrochat or something. We've had people in the other thread try to sale things to unload stuff to for the sake of making money and not for passing on deals to goons.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Peachstapler posted:

External site would be neat but then again, what's stopping it from becoming another SA-Mart and inviting the same culture along with it?

We would be the ones stopping it. We can identify abusers well enough and deal with them.
Personally, I'm annoyed when someone tries to sell anything in the thread without pm's and it takes 5 posts between parties to get it sorted. Especially, in a thread that now sometimes hits 100 posts a day.
I'm happy with the free stuff or offered services, though. Those fill our hearts with fuzzy kittens.

And speaking of free stuff. Zen and Verariaiaiai Archon. I should get your games sent out this week. There was an extra delay when I tested rock'n roll racing and it didn't boot up. Took me awhile to figure out where I put my gamebits and cleaner. Got it going today. Archon's game being delayed was collateral damage:)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Another benefit of emulators is that some of than can be used for net play. I've had lots of fun playing Beavis and Butthead on the genesis coop on the net.

Sooooo... We need to figure out the best emulators for netplay as well. I want to play with goons.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

You just fix that with a bit of stripped copper wire and electrical tape.

Or at least that's how I fixed it.

I just wrapped the exposed copper wire directly around the screw on the TV.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Aside from the technical aspect of it, graphically that is a piss poor representation of what a 16 bit update should be. And if you don't agree, think about what 16 bit mario from SMW actually looks like, and look at the original donkey kong to see how menacing he was compared this shabby update.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I was posting from my phone from class; I didn't have a chance to play it. It was just released; sorry :shobon:

Just making discussion:) And offering an opinion. No reason to apologize.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The crappy papery snes labels were made in Mexico.(Yes, they are official snes carts.)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I made a list of the games I wanted, then put the low end market value by them, so I knew to buy them when it was less than that. Accidentally buying games over market value would drive me nuts.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Sexy Slippers posted:

After succumbing to the pressure of the GameStop ps2 game sale. I need another ps2 so does anyone have a ps2 phat laying around that they want to sell? Please PM me!

Hah, maybe the thread should have been titled, "Buying games we can't play"

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

This is a cosmicjim edition of things you can't ever have.
The n64 games themselves aren't that notable, but having them CIB is. Clay Fighter Sculptor's Cut(n64), Stunt Racer 64(n64), Final Fight Guy(snes), and Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak(nes) are all supposedly rental exclusives in the US. International Superstar Soccer 2000(n64) was a mail in order exclusive in the US, and the box and manual are really hard to find in English.
You can still import Tomato's wordimagesoundplay(ntsc-j) fairly cheaply, but it has a very small print, but there currently isn't any demand.

The genesis carts are Blockbuster Game Factory carts. They are rare, but don't have much value because #1 they aren't widely known about, #2 the ones in existence are mostly blank. It was a test by Blockbuster for flashing games onto the carts at the store for rentals on demand instead of having to have multiple copies of the games. Licensing fees and payments couldn't be worked out with game makers, so it was quickly scrapped. The different colored labels seem to indicate memory size. I've only seen blue and green, personally.

Mario's Tennis(VB) isn't a rental exclusive, but it was a Virtual Boy pack in that didn't have a retail release, so the boxes for them were rental exclusives, because rental places wanted to be able to rent out Tennis separately from the system.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

So, in other words they're perfect for repros.

This reminds me of Richard Pryor using incredibly rare stamps to send mail to purposely waste money in the movie "Brewster's Millions"

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Out running on the bike path yesterday I found a copy of Troy Aikman's Football for the Genesis. Someone had apparently put it in a fire, and then left it in the woods to rot. Such a sad life for an old sports game. :(

That's a vision of the apocalyptic future. Burning our games for fuel and heat.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

What's this? An interesting, obscure game I've never heard of? And it can be imported for around $12 including shipping?

Add that one to the pile.

Where'd you find it that cheaply?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Zen and Archon, did you guys get my gifts?

Hamburglar, do I need to do anything for supplies or cash to get the ball rolling on the snes stuff? I'm not in a hurry, I just wanted to make sure you aren't waiting on me for anything.

Also, this is time sensitive....
I'm selling a bunch of my rarest nintendo games on ebay. The really expensive stuff doesn't seem to do well on SAmart, so I'm going to do a round of cheaper stuff in SAmart after this stuff is sold and shipped.
Here's the link for my auctions...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cosmicjosh/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I'm trying to fit all of my collection into or on my 2 nintendo display cases, so a bunch of stuff I don't touch has got to go. Going to use the money for a new roof.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 16, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Oh okay, but you shouldn't really need to open the carts to clean them FYI. Changing the batteries, yes, but cleaning them you definitely do not need a gamebit.

You don't have to have a gamebit to clean them, but in my opinion it makes it way easier.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Getting a GBA player for it! Does that count?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

redmercer posted:

What's that sky-blue cart center top? Also didn't know AVE made Solitaire

Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Ecstacy of Order is is a tetris documentary made in order to find the true champion of tetris. It brings the tetris masters together to compete in a tetris tournament.

I thought it was fascinating and it is now free to watch on hulu(sorry canadians.)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/429491

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Who wants to wager against me that cutting the lock out chip alone won't fix his problem?

Keyboard Kid posted:

The power adapter wouldn't cause this problem and is most likely good enough for your system. You might notice some video quality issues if it isn't supplying enough power, but I doubt you could notice from the normal composite output.

Actually, it might cause this problem if the output isn't strong enough.(But I doubt it.) I've tried using one that didn't output enough miliamps per hour, but I forgot excatly what it did.

I'm curious what methods he used to clean his pins on the games and the system.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 2, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Quidnose posted:

I found my NES bootup problems were solved by really jamming the games into my toaster. I was being too kind to the system and apparently you really need to make a good, hard connection to get that poo poo going.

Nowadays I use a Game Genie to facilitate forceful entry. Maybe give that a shot, too!

Your nes pins are stretched out. The game genie pins are wider than normal cart pins, so it fits inside the loose nes connector better. I have this same problem with my wife.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

techknight posted:

Also I think that Zelda 1 was fine when released, but is crap now because of discoverability. You can't make progress using only in-game resources without randomly bombing all the squares, so I don't think it's right to keep praising it. Same deal with Metroid 1 and 2 not having a map feature.

(Oh, and if it was more feasible for me to play Four Swords and Adventures with four GBA-equipped friends I would have those on my list, too.)

This makes you sound like a whiny person that is terrible at video games.

Thousands upon thousands of kids less than 10 years old beat these games without guides. Why are people dumber than kids from the 80's, now?

al-azad posted:

If Zelda 2 didn't have lives and didn't start you at the beginning on a gameover I would have enjoyed it a lot more. The first Zelda didn't have lives and dying put you back at the beginning of a dungeon so why this weird change? It doesn't make the game harder, just frustrating. I think you just lose some experience but you keep your levels so enemies on your way back to the dungeon are a pushover. It's just a big waste of time.

The enemies on the way back to the last dungeon are certainly not a pushover, and also, you get to continue from the start of the last dungeon.
I think the difficulty is the reason this game gets so much hate.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 2, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Tobaccrow posted:

Those "thousands" (do we really know?) of kids had more free time, less games to play, and a bunch of friends in the same boat.

Doesn't sound like valid excuses to me.
Just say, "we don't have the patience."

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Midnight Raider posted:

Top Zelda Lists that don't have LttP, LA, and MM at least in the top five? Consider my mind blown.

Sometimes I wonder about this. I know for me and some of my friends, some games really were hard to the point where we couldn't beat them. Years later, most of us seemed to not be able to really remember if we really beat them or not, sometimes just assuming we did since we had owned them for years. And in some cases, knew we never beat them and lied about it to protect our pride.
In my case, Zelda 1 was something I couldn't beat when it came out. :shepicide:

I can't imagine that I only knew bad game players, so sometimes I wonder if people may overestimate the ability of kids back then just a wee bit.

(On the other hand, I've also run into random games that I destroyed when I was younger, which I lated had trouble with when I tried to play them more recently. Punch Out, I'm looking at you.)

You also have to look at the scope of populations. Thousands is still a small number of the millions that played some of the games. Millions of people played Zelda and Punch Out.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Corzaa posted:

Look at these games hipsters.

I'm in the same boat as them. We need to take make a poll for this that also includes age. It seems to me the people in love with certain n64 era games are mostly the people that started gaming around then. (Which is probably true of each gaming generation to some degree.)

I'm 33 and do not like OoT.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

StellarX posted:

I play the games to get to the world map to start exploring. I'd love to attempt to beat the first game but I think either my battery is dying or I don't know how to properly power off my NES because I keep randomly losing my save :(

How hard is it to replace the batteries in these games with those little battery holders?

It's definitely a battery problem.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

These are all awesome suggestions, thank you! I'm an AMD diehard but the Intel processors just look like they handle emulation a lot better. I'll probably skip PS2/Dreamcast, but Gamecube could be fun and it feels pretty lightweight in Dolphin (at least from my experience).

I'll build myself a TRUE Universal Console down the line, but this one's more for old console games, movies/tv and web browsing (with potential to upgrade waaay down the line). My personal comp is able to handle everything I can throw at it so I'm in no hurry for an upgrade.

Okay so what I'll need to fit:
Intel compatible mobo with plentiful USB ports (5-6 minimum)
Intel processor (i3 looks good unless I find a deal on something better)
Nvidia DDR5 1GB card (not going with ATI)
Huge HD or two
Simple DVD drive
PSU

Is there a smaller yet cool (temperature) case that will fit everything comfortably or should I just go with the old Antec 300 standby? Don't care about looks but a smaller profile would be nice.

Thanks for all the help!

You should check out the "hyperspin project" to see a great emulator/rom set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GPyX80Pk8

Not sure how small you can make your machine to run EVERYTHING, but you can add/remove whichever systems you want to from hyperspin.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yeah, they pretty much always break down after a certain amount of use. There'll have to be a fix for them eventually as more and more controllers break down, in 10 years how hard will it be to find one in good shape?

You can buy replacement thumb sticks

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I thought '94 was supposed to be the "ultimate" one? Isn't that the one they are playing in the movie Swingers?

I also want to do that wireless controller mod but holy hell reading schematics like that combined with dyscalculia is asking for broken drywall and money in the swear jar. I wonder if I could internally mount the RF receivers inside the system :allears:

It's my opinion that 94 was the best. The checking in that game was really solid. You really felt like you got them stuck in. I don't remember how 96 is in comparison, but I am positive that 95 doesn't feel anywhere near as bone shattering.
As for Mutant League Hockey, the "engine" didn't really matter. It was good because it's hockey with monsters, death, and weapons. Honestly, Mutant League Football was a much better game, but hockey is much easier to pick up and play than American Football.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

the wizards beard posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought Terranigma only got a PAL and Japanese release. Is this a reproduction?

Yes

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Does anyone in the US want an FC Twin(nes/snes clone) for the price of shipping? It's such a piece of poo poo I'd hate to actually sell it. The controllers are unusable? WHY WON'T YOU GO LEFT?, but you can use normal snes controllers with it. And when I try to play 2 player games when both players press certain buttons at the same time it pauses the gamne. That being said, if you use your own snes compatible controller and only play single player, then it should play nes and snes just fine.

Dibs it in here, and we will work it out in pm or email. Please only dibs it if you do not have a nes, snes, or both.

The person dibsing must answer one question; "What is your favorite game from the 8 or 16 bit era?"

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

midge posted:

Cue over analysis of how the chemicals used will degrade the contacts over the course of 50 - 75 years (depending on the method used to apply it).

Yeah the jury is still out. I use cooktop cleaner and brasso, but now I try to only use it when alcohol fails. My concern isn't chemicals. My concern is that I'm physically scrubbing away the metal contacts. How many cleanings will cause problems down the road? Contacts seem to start out gold, but after wear and polishing, then you see a lot of silver. Is that a problem waiting to happen right there with the life of the pins? I honestly don't know any answers to this, but I like to be proactive. The same approach I take concerning global pollution:)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I have had a wii since the season it launched and I have never done anything online with it. I did try the pathetic opera browser surfing for a few minutes. I also used netflix on it. But I looked at the VC store once and saw the prices for games I had physical copies of and thought the prices were crazy. I never checked again.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Tobaccrow posted:

My family is cool.

The least legible ones are Arkista's Ring and Shadow of the Ninja.

Power Blade is my favorite mega man game that isn't a mega man game. My only complaints are the bosses are a little too easy, and that falling down a screen causes death even if there's a ladder there to a platform on the screen below it.

Batman is also a really solid platformer.
Shadow of the Ninja has 2 player coop!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

tvb posted:

A question for Game Boy and GBC enthusiasts:
What do you play your games on? Playing on a GB, GB Pocket or GBC is novel and fun, but they're battery killers and need external light sources. GBA SP is a great, backlit machine, but IIRC, older games stick out the bottom (I haven't had a GBA SP in years and years). I'm curious to see how more people prefer to play.

Gamecube gameboy player. Duh!!!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

HKR posted:

If you did knock them off find out their values and order replacements, and then prepare to learn the fine craft of surface mount soldering.

I thought I blew one when I was doing mine since I was having such a hard time with it and kept my hot iron pressed on it way too much/too long.

Also, I would say the slim is way easier to do since there's just less bullshit to deal with when disassembling.

One fell off inside of my daughter's DS once, and I fixed it by actually supergluing instead of solderng, just being careful the edges still made metal contact. I don't know if that's possible with these or not.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Island Nation posted:

Same here, a nice way to go as long as you ignore the back cover :wtc:

That said, the top games list they put down mentioned they only put down games released in North America. Assuming that the list was rounded up to a top 300 list, what non-NA games should've made the cut?

Sin and Punishment N64

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Oh, my favorite super famicom game, Gundam Wing Endless Duel. My favorite home console street fighter clone.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Sexy Slippers posted:

Hell, Yes! I bought it from cosmicjim (I think) in this thread and it's pretty great. It's Super Puzzle Fighter before it existed.

Wasn't me. But I've been talking incessantly about tetris lately in #retrochat.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

fatpat268 posted:

Nope you got it from me. It's a great game, and I was hoping to play it with my GF (who is a bit of a Tetris buff) but she didn't like the game at all. oh well.

How much of a tetris buff is she? There's a tetris documentary about finding a nes tetris champion called "Ecstasy of Order" that's now streamable on Hulu.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/429491

Hrrrrm, have I already posted that in here?

Anyways, to add content to the in case I've already posted that link, I've been CRAZY about tetris lately. I've been having trouble doing high speed stuff on this horrible westinghouse 32" lcd in my bedroom because of lag issues(actually I'm just bad.) I've been playing nes tetris, but I just ordered Tetris Party Deluxe for the WII and DS. I've been wanting to play gameboy tetris, but I can't find my copy anywhere:( It's really a shame there's so many bad free/cheap newer tetris games, because I think they are keeping younger generations from really getting into it. There's a few terrible flash games at the top of searches that wouldn't inspire new players, and they probably then think paying for a good version would be silly if it's a "free" game. No idea if that makes sense or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

You know you've probably just started people listing off a bunch of Saturn games that are still playable today, and aren't available elsewhere. Like Three Dirty Dwarves, that is still a fantastic 3 player brawler. It's got a fantastic art style to it, it's got really crazy boss fights and enemy design, and each dwarf plays a little different. The recovery mechanic is great, too, it's a lot like more recent coop games. There's no lives per player, if your health runs out, you are knocked out. As long as all three players aren't knocked out at the same time, the game continues. When you're knocked out, another player can walk over to revive you.

Three dirty dwarves was also on pc. It's interesting to me that PC games rarely count for people putting together retro collections unless the person is very specifically a computer game collector.

• Locked thread