Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Everyone here is forgetting the real reason to use a crt. Light guns. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

I just found a great thread discussing the pros and cons of all the different Nintendo 64 analog stick replacement options: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7360571/1/
I'll make a summary but I would recommend just reading the thread, it really isn't that long.

Short version:

The gamecube style stick skips steps, introduces a slight delay due to a slow microcontroller and has too high of a sensitivity. This leads to problems like not being able to perform the Spin Attack in Zelda, Smash Attacks in Smash Bros, and difficulty with fine aiming in Goldeneye.

The OEM style replacement stick is slightly taller, has a weaker spring (you can swap it with the original), and will wear down just as fast if not faster if you don't lubricate it.

There is a newer product that is in the style of the OEM sticks but uses pots like in modern joysticks. It apparently fixes the problems of the GC style one but it has a stiff spring, needs lubrication, and has a larger dead zone.

You are able to fix most of the problems with the GC style stick by programming a replacement microcontroller, but it is still more sensitive than an original. Luckily somebody has made an upgrade kit that seems to be the perfect solution to all of this. You can buy it here. It sounds like he is out of stock but I can't view the page until my account is verified. You may also be able to reach him by private message here, he goes by the name micro.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Finally found a good deal on something.

All four discs plus the manuals in pristine condition, no scratches whatsoever.

• Locked thread