Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

fatpat268 posted:

Did anyone ever get a better domain name for that wiki? It will always be obscure until it has a memorable name

Oh, hell with you people. I just bought retrogooning.com

Retro Gooning Dot Com

It's like retro gaming, but you replace "gaming" with "gooning". It is very easy to remember. :toughguy:

DNS should propagate properly for everyone tomorrow. This is how you access the wiki now. If you haven't created an account yet, I can be reached by email, Steam, or forum PM to create one for you -- just click on my profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Who's Sandra? She sounds like a hurricane. :v:

Was this metioned yet: the world's only complete, in-box copy of Air Raid was auctioned yesterday for $33,433.30.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm not sure if you are joking. Both the homepage of the wiki and the post you just quoted mention you need to contact me to create an account for you.

Yeah, I'd rather not do it this way either, but SPAM was getting out of control after the third week of the wiki being online and every new anti-SPAM plugin I added just slowed things considerably for the real users, so I settled with the solution the guys on ADTRW sticked with.

vvvv yeah, well, sorry about that. Just created an account for you. Have fun!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 6, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Heh, that's karma. By the by, you can update the wiki link to retrogooning.com; it's working everywhere now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, it's probably using the Amazon sellers strategy: pretend your game is cheaper than the competition, while getting the difference in shipping fees.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I propose that Scooby Doo adventure game mentioned on the past thread. Shouldn't be too long.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It means "game" in German. :ms:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yes, you can use a light gun on a Trinitron.

I wish I had the space for one. :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

Are Dreamcasts easy to make region free?

The mod chip for region unlocking is veeery easy to install. Boot discs aren't perfect but also do the trick. I much prefer the mod chip route if you can find one; booting a game directly is awesome.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

BlazinLow305 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread

You were probably looking for this one, instead.

zenintrude posted:

Saoshyant is a taskmaster.

:whip:

Your contribution's much appreciated to goon retrogaming history.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The really weird thing is how goddamn hard it is to get ahold of SMS controllers on their own.

This is something I just realized: back in the day I remember seeing that tiny arcade stick with some frequency in stores, but I never saw a spare, standard controller being sold separately. Rather odd.

It is a terrible controller, though. Uncomfortable, ugly, and (god) that D-pad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yo. I'm looking into importing a few Nintendo 64 games, so I will need to get an import adapter at some point. A bit of confusion here is that I can see three named Passport: the original one(?) only named Passport, a Passport Plus, and the one Playasia has right now called Passport III. Google-fu hasn't helped me find any differences between them other than I think Plus has gameshark code support. Anyone familiar which version is the best to get?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Keyboard Kid posted:

I assume you're talking about importing PAL carts or playing carts on a PAL system? If you mean Japanese carts on a US system you don't need to buy anything like that, just cut or remove the tray in the cartridge slot -- or swap the backs. (And even if you don't want to do that, for the cost of one of these adapters you could just buy a Japanese N64, they're cheap.)

PAL system, a modified RGB French model, not replacable. I wanna play other region games, though, so the Passport was recommended. But with different versions of it moving around I have no idea which one to pick.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 15, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'd buy Illbleed if someone was selling it for less than the scalpers on ebay are trying to get. Not a huge "less" but just less.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I was thinking of getting a 32X, because mental illness. Chainclaw mentioning a cable to connect it to the console scared me, though.

This is the one I was eyeing:

It's supposed to be complete, but there's no visible cables on that pic other than the AC adapter. Someone who knows about 32X please confirm it for me: what is missing in that pic that would get me a working 32X?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I have a MD1, MD2 and a Multi Mega. I have no idea why it was easier to get a Multi Mega than a 32X, but anyway you are saying that with the MD2 I don't need a cable? Either way, how expensive are those cables?

e: oh god, tell me I can do this so I can have the most retarded looking Voltron console.

Heran Bago posted:

^^^ You need a cable to connect it to your Model 1 or Model 2+ system. They're two different cables and either one could cost more than the system itself.

drat, didn't see this. So I need a cable either way and the drat things are that expensive. So much for my 32X dream.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 22, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's as dumb as it sounds, but that's the 32X in a nutshell really.

Quite. The fact a cable required to put the thing working isn't shipped alongside with the system (it came out when the MD2 had already been around for a couple of years) is absurdly baffling.

Thanks both for the responses, though. I now feel at least educated on what I need to make one of those things work.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Housh posted:

Do you guys clean the contacts with q-tips dipped in 99% iso?

Everything you could possibly want to know about cart cleaning.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, having purchased a 32X cable for MD2, I am now waiting for the actual system to get here.

I have a question now about Super Famicoms. I found this guy that modded a Japanese system for 50/60 Hz, compatibility with Euro and Jap games, and some other stuff. Problem is that he doesn't provide an AC adapter. When inquired about he said I could use an European Mega Drive one, which seemed odd. I have a bunch of those around, but they only do 230v / 50Hz, a voltage I can't imagine being compatible with a Japanese system. Is the seller right or full of poo poo?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cubey posted:

Now the original Xbox, THERE'S a system with next to no games that are worth playing today.

Out of the top of my head: Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 and 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, Crazy Taxi 3, The Warriors, Breakdown, and the best version of Silent Hill 2. Also good PC ports of SWTOR and Morrowind.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 4, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Supposedly, the Intellivision Lives compilation for the DS is a pretty cool way to experience the system since you can use the touchscreen to simulate the weird key layout, which is something other versions of Intellivision Lives (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox) could never simulate what with their proper controllers.

The only issue is that the DS version only came out in the US and is becoming rather rare.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That... looks like a rather decent Famiclone unlike the usual garbage. How much did it cost and where did you get it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

$22 (...) I only need to try this with actual FC carts now, and FC to NES converters (...) I will open her up and see if there's anything interesting or out of the ordinary for a famiclone inside.

Let us know! I think I'm going to grab one of them if it's as good as you are reporting so far.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Trace Memory isn't a Nintendo game, though. :confused: Edit: It's Nintendo published, I stand (mostly) corrected.

Kirby games always have low print numbers, especially in Europe. Don't wait if you want to get them at all.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 18, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What's this about the original Xbox clock cap and different revisions? Is there a guide to fix/replace the clock cap? And how do I identify the model version? I have two Xboxes, one that is definitively older than the other since it came with the Duke controller and the DVD drive has issues opening and reading stuff (which is why I ended getting another one, since it was cheap), while the second one came with the smaller controller and it's in much better condition visually and operationally.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PVMs don't take SCART, AFAIK. SCART is a European standard with a non-compatible implementation in Japan. All European CRTs produced in the 90's onwards use SCART. If there are CRTs with SCART support in America they would be a rather niche product -- assume that 99.9% of American TVs do not support SCART.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, hey, I spent way too much money during Christmas, including on a 32X I still haven't found the time to even test properly. Most stuff ended up arriving way late due to holiday season delays and whatnot. Anyway, I thought the thread would like to see some of the retro highlights.

First up, the Mega Drive games. Greendog is another Sega experiment at the 90's radical experience. A surfing dude on ancient South American temples, because why not. It's rad.

Not much to say about Flashback or Sonic 2 that hasn't already been said. Toejam & Earl was yet another attempt at a corporate mascot before Sonic showed up, but it's a really kickass co-op game. The Lion King is one of the most beautiful games in the system -- and also one of the hardest (Mega Man's got nothing on this one). Sega switched future games to those blue covers after the MDII came out in Europe so the games would become uniform and "modern". No idea if a similar change happened in the US.

Next, Saturn. The only PAL game here is The Horde (because I have nearly every other one of them) from Silicon Knights. It's a port (either from PC or 3DO) of a fancy strategy game with a lot of humor but I can't imagine it having aged well. It wasn't particularly brilliant at the time. It did however take me a longass time to find a copy whose cover wasn't ruined (early Saturn PAL games had their cover glued directly onto the case without any protection) and to make matters worse, the limited space of CD and the abuse of FMV and the fact the continent has a bunch of languages meant that every FIGS nation got a version on their own language only, which means there aren't many English versions around (most are German).

There's three arcade perfect fighting games here, too. Barely anyone remembers Data East's Fighter History Dynamite (also called Karnov's Revenge) but I would say it's a better SF2 than SF2. Real Bout Special didn't have the impact of the first Real Bout but it's still got some beautiful sprite work. Cyberbots is the best thing Capcom made in the 90's that wasn't Puzzle Fighter.

On the right bottom corner, there's something called Linkle Liver Story, which is basically a Zelda-clone with beautiful sprites but everything is catgirls and whatnot. Kinda ruins the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73woIolpg1Q

Up next, the only Dreamcast game I have bought in quite a while.

Maken X, from Atlus and with the Persona artist directing the art, is a first person brawler/shooter with some of the most original and impressive looking bosses that I can recall. It wasn't particularly notable at the time but it was rather unique. For some reason it got a remake (Maken Shao) on the PS2 later on that switched the first person view for a third person one, probably as a response to Devil May Cry, except it kept the controls exactly as the Dreamcast version, so it was a mess that no one can rightfully recommend.

Next up, GBA and, let me tell you, those boxes are awful to find in any acceptable quality.

As a Sega collector it made no sense not to own every single Sonic Advance game on the system. The first one was developed by Sonic Team, while the sequels were developed by Dimps. Neither is impressive nor downright awful (i.e. Sonic 4), but, yeah, I prefer the first one.

Yoshi's Island is Yoshi's Island. Astro Boy is a pretty cool game by Treasure, but it's also rather short. Pretty rare to find in Europe, though.

PS2 next. Speaking of Astro Boy, here's another creation based on a work from Osamu Tezuka: Blood Will Tell. It came after the DMCs and Ninja Gaidens, so it didn't get much attention, but the pretty unique feature is how you start with swords for arms and, as you regain missing parts of your body, the gameplay changes accordingly.

KOF98 Ultimate Match is the best version of the game ever made. Recently got a port on Steam that lost the 3D backgrounds on the transition, but (after a patch) got pretty faithful with decent netcode.

Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary was supposed to be a remake of VF1, except it plays closer to a de-evolved VF4:Evo than its actual origin. It's a rather weird package, but it mostly works. Also, for some reason, all versions I can find other than this one have an Akira cover. Mine's Jacky (and it's not a reversible cover), which makes me wonder if they made one for each character. That would be fun to collect (god, no, please).

Finally, Monster World Complete Collection, which I have been gushing about since it arrived last week. This is from M2, and if you have been paying attention to the 3DS you'll know that M2 are those insane guys that do things like recording the mechanical noises of old arcade cabinets to recreate the "full experience". The collection here has every single Wonder Boy/Monster World ever released with every version from arcade to regional consoles, all of which can output from quite different resolution settings (there's two 480p modes for instance). Dragon's Trap includes both Master System and Game Gear versions, including the Western ones so you can play in English. Same for Monster World III. The games that relied on password systems have a suspend save feature now, as well, though you can use the passwords for the "authentic" experience.

Dragon's Trap, Wonder Boy in Monster World, and Monster World IV are some of my favorite 8/16 bit games ever made. It was really a pleasant surprise to find how much attention to detail this Sega Ages release had got.

I will close this lengthy post with an oddity that I fell in love with soon as I spotted it on a local flee market:

A long box copy of the ZX Spectrum port of After Burner. ZX Spectrum games were always low key, so a basic tape case was enough for pretty much 98% of them. To find a long box of a 1988 game in pretty good condition was rather neat, but the surprises didn't stop there. For starters, this is a Sega arcade port from some guys called Software Studio, who pretty much specialized on those for the microcomputers of the time, published by freaking Activision who were already active at the time as a publisher it seems.

The inside has an unused sticker, a hugeass poster, a prize coupon to win "the flight of a lifetime", a pretty cool looking manual (looks like a passport), and the tape itself (built with better materials than most tapes of that time).

It's followed by the back where you can see Marketing 101 at its best: screenshots of the Amiga and Atari ST versions. You see, the ZX Spectrum isn't known for being a looker, but goddamn, that is some classic Activision work.

For reference, this is what the Speccy version looked like:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Pick up Illbleed at your earliest opportunity.

Impossible to find now. I'd know it :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's a pretty lovely reasoning.

Still, the Master System has some impressive gems like Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap, and Golden Axe Warrior (a Zelda-like), as well as a good version of Bubble Bobble (much better than the NES one if I recall right), and the two main Sonic games were pretty great. Oh, and Alex Kidd in Miracle World, yeah, that was pretty unique.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 27, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Reseat the expansion module as mentioned. You need to open a compartment in front of the system and use a spoon (yes, a spoon) to pry the thing out. If you do not have expansion module in that compartment that would be your issue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Monster World IV is indeed really loving good. A port is available on PSN with a proper translation, achievements, and even speed-run challenges. Definitively worth your money/time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I need help with my 32X, retro thread. After buying one during Christmas and a bridge MD2 cable, I have only now gotten the time to sit down and hook poo poo up. Things started badly when this piece of frankenstein hardware didn't fit my CD-Z, which was the original plan. Apparently the CD-Z requires a different piece of plastic to get it sitting there, but ok, fine, I hooked it up with my MD2+Mega CD combo. Now, here's the problem. It... sort of works? I get sound but no video at all; it's just black. I'm using a SCART cable. Said SCART cable works with the MD2 and CD-Z by itself alone, so either the European 32X for some reason doesn't support RGB output or this bridge cable I got from ebay is poo poo. I need theories and suggestions on what to do/test? It's not impossible the 32X's video output itself is hosed, but I need to figure out how to check for that.

I was planning on using an old RF cable to test if I would get any image from that, but I can't seem to find any on my storage. It's possible I threw it out after getting the SCART some years back. Got no composite to try that out either.

e: the seller I bought the bridge cable from still has a few. He claims they are produced with good quality.

e2: also, it's probably important to mention: I got no 32X game to test the thing right now. I'm just using standard MD carts, which I reckon should work. I can play them; just can't see anything.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 4, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

flyboi posted:

What happens if you use your video cable on your MD2 without the 32x? Is there video?

Yeah, and I mentioned as much. I have had this SCART cable for a few years now.

flyboi posted:

Which obviously is working. If I unplug the video lead from the Genesis then all video drops and all I get is audio. I believe both the 32X and MD2 have the same exact video pin so I would test that.

I may be too tired but I do not understand what you're saying here. Yes, the 32X and MD2 have the same video pin, but there's no separated video and audio cables here, in that neither the bridge cable or the SCART cable could do this to perform the test you mentioned.

flyboi posted:

If the same cable works with your CDX then ignore the boosted sync and your cable is either busted or the 32x is.

As someone who still doesn't understand much on how the 32X works, what does the bridge cable do exactly? The video and audio output are coming out of the 32X via SCART, the 32X is connected to the MD2 -- what does the bridge cable do here and is it a process that a bad cable would screw up the video while still playing audio?

Also, are the 32X known for having bad capacitators? The thing itself looks nearly mint. The plastic has no signs of having been exposed to bad elements nor cracks and scratches from a fall, so the only thing I can imagine bad would be perhaps capacitators. If there are bad capacitators there would be leaking inside, right? That's how I would be able to tell?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What kind of display are you hooking this all up to?

Currently just my Panasonic Plasma (with no XRGB involved) which can do everything from Master System's RF, Nintendo 64's rubbish 240p over composite, to Dreamcast's VGA and Xbox's component. I'm going to dig for an old CRT to give it a shot there, though, because why not.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I haven't heard anything about a 32X failing spectacularly due to capacitors or anything. And if it was a capacitor issue, you probably wouldn't get any kind of audio or form of regular function at all.

Ok, good to know.

So, right now the possibilities seem to be that either:

1) the 32X can't output any video at all due to something being broken inside it (and I wish I would know how to check for this stuff)
2) the 32X is outputting some weird signal that neither of my Mega Drives do over SCART and my TV isn't picking it up, though it never failed to pick anything before
3) the bridge cable is messed up, but if it is it's weird that it can send audio but no video

Hooking up a CRT when I get home should help confirming or outright ruling out 2). Anything else I should be on the look out for? Anyone knows how the hell I'd be able to tell if the video processor is broken?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

roffels posted:

There's a zif cable that can get dislodged or unseated in the 32x. Open it up and reseat it.

Can you follow up with a bit more info, please? Tried to search for "zif cable 32X fix" and just "zif cable sega 32X" and all I'm getting are hits about how unreliable and crappy the toaster NES was.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

flyboi posted:

Inside the 32x there's a few ribbon cables that plugs into a board. He's saying unplug and plug it back in.

Those white cables are what he's talking about.

roffels posted:

Looks like someone else elaborated (I was phone posting) but this site: http://sonic-cult.org/articles/32x/ helped me when I had issues with my 32x. It's been a while since I've had one, but reseating that cable/cables fixed things up.

This is from like ten days ago, but thanks, you guys. 32X working. Since I can only get it working on top of MD2+CD combo, I now have three huge AC adapters connected and a monstrosity of cables coming out of the thing. It is a sight to behold.

The 32X truly is the thing to show how hosed up things were in Sega in those days, in more ways than one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just FYI, the 32X in a CDX is the optimal way to do things, far more compact and it all still works.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Good luck getting a CDX though.

I actually do have a CDX! That's why I mentioned that I can only get it working on the MD2+CD combo. The 32X requires a piece of plastic to get a proper grip on the MD2, but this piece does not make it grip properly on the CDX. According to the manual, there is a specific piece of plastic for the CDX, but hell if I know where to find it. I think at this point it will be easier to find the bridge cable to connect it to my MD1 and just have it sitting there.

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Have you looked at the guide I quoted above? Apparently reseating those dumb ribbon cables inside fixes most of the issues with video/audio output.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I was like, "hey, a cool Mega Drive style case", then I saw a MD case next to it. Jesus, that thing is humongous and amazing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ryden posted:

Just a heads up to everyone who doesn't have a Sega Trio but desperately want need one (like me), they're going back up for preorder tonight at 6pm central. Ships March 3rd.

What's this exactly? Some sort of rom cart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I've been thinking about game storage, especially of disc-based media. I live in a decently non-humid area, but I think I'd like to begin storing some of my rarer stuff inside some sort of ziplock bags. Is there any company producing ziplock bags with the right size for DVD cases (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube), Saturn (bigger than DVD), jewel case size (Dreamcast, PS1, Saturn) or anything of the sort?

Also, I read some article mentioning that due to bad disc pressing in the early days it would be a good idea to further protect the label area so less poo poo gets into the data section using something like these label guards. Supposedly, it would help delay disc rot.

Any of you have any experience with any of this stuff? Tell me your secrets.

• Locked thread