Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Throw a white sheet over it and iron it on the lowest dry setting, that'll get all but the worst creases out. I've also heard that you can weigh them down really good and take a hot shower, but I don't know how humid i'd want my posters to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

al-azad posted:

If I ever made a retro game there would be a special edition with an cart-style design that unhinges to reveal a thumb drive you slide into your computer. You can have your color manual, box, fake sticker, cartridge, etc. and still play the game on a platform that everyone owns instead of a subpar Linux/Android machine.

There's a couple of kickstarters that are doing exactly that, most recently would be Yooka-Laylee offering the game on an N64 shaped flash drive.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I never actually knew there was a second vector Star Wars game! I played the original at some arcade before, but I never knew about that one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I would like to take this time to thank my Mom for getting me a Sega Genesis for Christmas when I was 7.

Yeah me too.

I'll second that all the Toaplan shooters are really good on the Genesis too, but they're also really loving hard. I grew up playing Hellfire and have the same cart from when I was young, but I've never actually made it past the first stage.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, is Faselei a rare US game? I got one of the repackaged NGPC sets a few years ago, and it had a US Faselei cart in the set. I didn't pay more than $30 for the whole thing either.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I am OK with reproductions and flash cards, especially right now since a lot of things seem more expensive than ever. unless you like the idea of a ton of boxes on your shelf, flash carts are a way better deal for just playing the games on real hardware.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

Reproductions are fine so long as you aren't getting into making them look legit in my opinion. People get testy when whatever game you're doing looks like a total rip because it will end up being sold as legit elsewhere and pissing off collectors.

Apparently in Japan there is someone actually doing exactly that, and it's making some collectors paranoid and furious, to the point where they're wanting PCB scans for Neo-Geo and Genesis games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

Neo-Geo has always been piracy central and why most every auction on eBay has board scans. There's even an authoritative list of proper boards so you know it's legit to cross-reference http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Main_Page

Unsurprising about Genesis games, I've seen tons of cloning options available on Aliexpress for Mega Drive so only a matter of time before it spilled over to legit sites.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sega...1941878126.html

See option 6 in this listing

I mean, if you want do make your own Genesis reproductions, you can get a 4mb single game cart for like $5 from Krizz. The flasher and boxes of Barney Hide and Seek are a bit more expensive, but nothing's really stopping anyone at this point from copying anything they want. Krizz's is also nice and you can actually put in a battery for SRAM games.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 11, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Currently out retro huntin'. When I get home, there's no reason not to clean these Genesis carts with high content rubbing alcohol like I do with my NES games, right?

Works exactly the same as NES games, though Genesis games have generally held up better since the clamshell boxes are still pretty common.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

a cat youtube posted:

after getting a wii u this past christmas and constantly browsing the VC store, i've been having a hankering to hook up and play my snes. the OP(s) is great but a bit overwhelming so I just wanted to make sure I have all my information correct

unfortunately, i neither have a 1chip snes or a decent crt left in the house so :

I should look for a snes-101 that start's with the un3 serial code. what sort of cable should i be looking for if i end up with a crt that accepts RGB hookups?

It's worth also knowing that getting RGB is going to be really loving expensive in America. Getting a good quality old CRT from craigslist or ebay is a load cheaper and might look very similar.

I actually have a Funai TV that is sharp as hell through composite after I put together a service remote and adjusted the overscan and skew settings.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 11, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

I'm the dude that started the recent Genesis chat. I went by a few stores today, and here's what I've brought back:

The ones I'm most happy with is the $15 Ranger X and the $50 Hyperstone Heist in box (no manual), both under Amazon prices. I can't get Hyperstone to boot, but I haven't cleaned it yet, so here's hoping.

Also, apparently the Genesis I bought has a short where the AC adaptor connects, so I'm gonna try to exchange it tonight for one that works a little more consistently.

Taz-Mania's real bad!

Columns sucks, return it for Mean Bean Machine and get your Puyo Puyo on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sixfools posted:

Random question: what are peoples opinions on soft box genesis games that have had their covers cut to fit into a genesis box? My parents did this for me with Xmen 2: Clone wars and a couple others (vectorman, S&K) as a kid, and I think its awesome they put the effort into doing that for me.

That was probably the best way to deal with the softboxes at the time, though these days you can get a new clamshell label printed from the internet and roll with that.

On Genesis/SNES differences, the Genesis Jurassic Park games were awesome Prince of Persia style shooters, the NES/SNES/Game Boy had this lovely top down thing instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

mikeycp posted:

I had to move my PS4 out of its cubby in my entertainment center due to lack of airflow, so now there is room for another black console to be on display. The only ones that fit are my PS2, N64 (covered in Pokemon stickers), and the comedy option Saturn (I have no games for it).

Which should I put there? The other consoles there are a PS3, Wii U, and SMS.

I'm leaning toward the PS2, but I want another opinion.

Buy a TurboGrafix 16.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Buy a Core Grafx. Dang, people,. have some class!

As an American all my consoles must be massive and 90% plastic. :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I know there were a lot of reports of Sega CD and TG16-CD games being poorly pressed a few years ago, but I don't think it'll be a bad enough issue to get in the way of playing the games for a while longer still. All the systems that supposedly are prone to this are also systems that don't have any backup protection, so you can just back up all your disks on an external hard drive and make a new copy if you need to.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You know that you can get 3rd party/repro Power Base Converters for the Model 2's, right? Someone even made one very recently that's PBC2 shaped and has the FM chip in it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, that's a sign of disk rot. They'll probably work for a while longer, but they'll die way sooner than other copies.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Maybe? I've never heard people talk about putting a new one in.
All I know about it is that the stock one might catch fire.

That's why I ask.

Didn't that only affect a very small number of early run Xboxes? I had to get the special power cable or whatever for it, but my Xbox was also a piece of poo poo that didn't like half the games I threw at it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Yen is the weakest it's been in nearly 10 years, if you're going to import poo poo do it now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Why are IDE HDDs still so expensive? :(

If you don't mind them potentially coming with credit card numbers on them, you can get IDE drives for basically nothing on eBay. You can also get a SATA to ATA coupler and just use anything.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If we're posting Genesis collections, I'm really happy with mine right now.

The bare rom board is unfortunately Herzog Zwei. I got it boxed, but the cart looked like someone sat on it and the label was ripped to bits. I put it on the Everdrive for now, but when I get the chance I'm planning on ordering two empty shells from ebay to house both of them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The first party Nintendo games have always been the reason to get any of their console. It's just that the NES was literally the only option for 3rd parties at the time, and they hadn't run everyone off with the N64's bad design and licensing yet.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Actually, there's a second Go game for the Genesis, a port of the PC service Sansan (which is still running.) The Sansan Genesis game is exceptionally rare as well, so much so that Sega of Japan and most catalogs don't even list it as a release. It also features a local 2 player mode.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

Is there a way to fix a wobbly N64 control stick, or do I have to buy a "new" controller?

You can do a thing with the spring, stretching it out or replacing it with a stronger one to make it a bet better.

edit: Found a guide

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 15, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

Holy poo poo, is this ground up N64 analog stick?

Mostly it's sweat and dead skin, don't worry.

It's always been interesting to me that Nintendo decided to use optical encoders like a ball mouse instead of the more standard potientimeter style that Sony used, or even a hall effect sensor like Sega put in the Saturn 3D and Dreamcast pads.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The purple ones are never impressed, no matter how hard you try.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Amazon sells them for dirt cheap, buy a full set.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

So just yesterday I was able to get this:

Came with the SNES and two controllers, but no hookups. Controllers seem to work fine, but the SNES is pretty discolored and won't boot up games properly. Turns on properly, but all it sends out is a black screen. My best guess is that the pins are busted since the games were tested on another system.

Is there a better way to rule out issues other than swapping out the 62-pin connector and hoping?

It's also worth trying both the RF and multiout, since the issue might be the video out as much as the cart slot.

edit: also Genesis supremacy for just using loving phillips screws for everything on the console. If only they bothered to do that with the US carts, it'd be the perfect system.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 16, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I feel really sorry for my Sega Saturn. I have a few games but not many of them and I think I want to change that. Can anyone recommend a couple good ones that don't tend to be on the expensive or rare side?

Die Hard Arcade is fantastic if you like beat em ups, some of the arcade fighter ports are cheap and good like Darkstalkers 2 and Mortal Kombat 2, Nights isn't a bad price even with the controller.

Also if you have an Action Replay, Puyo Sun is really cheap and I like it almost as much as Tsu.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Jimbot posted:

How was the MK2 port for the Saturn? I have UMK3 and it's pretty fantastic (loading times aside).

MK2 is basically arcade perfect, and the 6 button controller + shoulder buttons helps a lot with that too.

Kazvall posted:

I got two Everdrives on the way(n64/genesis) and I'm pretty stoked. What percentage of SMS games work on the Mega Everdrive? I know there is possibly a certain effect that is not rendered properly for some games but otherwise I couldn't find a compatibility list.

- 4 Pak all Action
- Cosmic Spacehead
- Fantastic Dizzy
- Micro Machines
- The Incredible Hulk
- Street Fighter II
- Virtua Fighter Animation
- F-16 Fighter/F-16 Fighting Falcon

None of these games work due to either memory hacks that the Genesis doesn't deal with, or unsupported SG-1000 video modes.

These games also don't work with a real PBC, or SMS model 1 (except F-16 Fighter).

edit: Oh, a couple of games don't like the Genesis controller, so either use a SMS controller or find hacks for Wonder Boy in Monster Land or Montezuma's Revenge.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 16, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Tempest 2000 is really good also and you can find it for $25 or so if you dig around.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's not really a point to buy the original Virtua Fighter for the Saturn, since Remix is better in every way and no rarer since Sega mailed it to every Saturn owner.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Always thought MAME was already open source. Guess I was wrong: http://boingboing.net/2015/05/15/mame-going-open-source.html

MAME's drivers and stuff have always been open source (under their own licensing scheme), but this is going to include the actual core of the emulator that does the heavy lifting.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Post Offices don't really go out of business, but you should totally write to the Postmaster General and maybe get ready to submit an insurance claim.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's probably where the batteries were kept until they imploded.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RIP SNK, doomed to Pachinko hell.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'd suggest completely giving up on lagless N64 emulation, since $1000 PCs will choke and die on many games. Playstation games can run well on decent Android devices though. If you're interested in trying a bunch of N64 games, I'd honestly suggest getting one used and an Everdrive 64. You can probably spend $250 and get an EV64-3, a used N64 and hookups, and an android stick that can run epsxe well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The_Frag_Man posted:

The Xbox shouldn't be emulated. It should be interpreted like Nintendont for Gamecube or have a compatibility layer like Wine or somethin'. Nobody is building it though.

One does exist, and it works for the 7 Xbox games that don't do hardware specific hacks. Eventually one could be made that works with the Xbox specific hacks and tricks that happened in the middle of the life span, but for now we're stuck with nothing. Here's an interview with the current lead coder of the leading simulator/emulator

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The AMD APU's aren't half bad as a one chip solution compared to Intel and their integrated graphics, but their traditional and enthusiast lines are functionally the same as a Phenom II except with more cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Really, the best advice for the N64 is to pay through the nose for the Hori pads or some other 3rd party pad that's not poo poo.

• Locked thread