Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Are we allowed to talk about emulators here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah it's never been an issue. What's the question?

I was just wondering what's considered the best N64 emulator.

Also, is the DS version of Mario 64 considered better than the original? I haven't played either version.

One more question. I've never really played the first 3 Super Mario Bros, and I'm doing a playthrough of Nintendo franchises starting with Mario. Is 2 worth playing? Should I just play the All-Stars versions?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Thanks a bunch. Yeah, I meant the SMB2 USA. As for the N64 emulation, I don't own a Wii, so Project64 it is then.

How do I apply that patch?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 14, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ACID POLICE posted:

Get Floating IPS and be happy.

Floating IPS?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Farecoal posted:

Floating IPS?

I found it and applied the patch, but now whenever I jump the game becomes a garbled, corrupt mess. I made sure it was the right version too (using All Stars + World)

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 14, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Random Stranger posted:

BTW, SNES/SuperFami stomps Genesis/MegaDrive into paste.

Indeed :hf:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZJ6oQayAU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Random Stranger posted:

Serious answer: it came out shortly before Super Mario Bros and featured a giant transforming robot. Basically, right place for the Famicom explosion, early enough that there wasn't competition from good games, and had a theme guaranteed to separate innocent Japanese children from their money (much like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did over here).

Wait, Super Mario Bros wasn't a launch title for the Famicom? What were the launch titles?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
:dealwithit:

On to Super Mario Bros 3

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

hubris.height posted:

Yeah, every one of those versions sounds better than the original SNES sound, in my opinion.

Woah buddy I wouldn't go that far. Nintendoes what Sega...don't?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Apparently in 1986 Hudson Soft released a sort of port/sequel to Super Mario Bros. for two home computers in Japan, featuring worse graphics and no screen scrolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0HQOKmAPRA

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

al-azad posted:

Some games n junk. I recently learned that Donkey Kong Country is significantly easier in Japan. After beating the first game for the first time I almost (almost) agree with Miyamoto that it's a really mediocre game but DKC2 and 3 just poo poo all over it.

This is a myth, Miyamoto actually loved the first Donkey Kong Country.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I for one think Sunshine was really fun, though I haven't really played any other mainline Mario games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

shymog posted:

We should stop before we get into YCS bullshit and just agree than N64/PS1-era 3D was garbage. Not to mention the fact that genre preferences really are going to affect GOOD:CRAP ratios, because the N64 has a drat-near absence of RPGs.

I don't agree, because A. I can play N64 games perfectly well today and B. JRPGs are garbage

• Locked thread