Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So all these people mentioning Rakuten orders got me interested and Googling, and now I feel like a kid in a candy store... until I started thinking about shipping (and especially after I saw the tab on an individual item with some scary-looking prices).

About how much did you guys pay just for shipping on those orders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That reminds me of that thing you can do with the "Making of Lunar" CD on PS1. (Or it might have been for Lunar 2?) If you boot up that disc and then take it out when the cinematic plays and replace it with the second disc from Xenogears, it plays the ending for the latter.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

HDLoader does bypass any kind of region protection. If I'm not mistaken the only check for region is when you insert a game and close the disc drive. Still not a super-easy setup since you'd need a modified memory card, you'd have to rip your games to it, and find a network adapter + IDE drive. I still think Swap Magic (if you can find it cheap) plus whatever fliptop or case mod is easiest. You have to wait, what, 20 seconds to start your game, which isn't a big deal. Installing it is pretty easy too, especially on a slim (you can just use toothpicks + tape or whatever on it).

It's also possible to do it with an Action Replay Max if you happen to have one of those (it's how I've done all my PS2 nonsense). You just need to hunt down the proper .elf for a swap program.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

I can tell you your retail prices are way off on .hack, at least the first 4 games. They were all $50 each. I know, because I bought them all.

I'm pretty sure this was true of the first two G.U. games as well, though I distinctly remember the last one being released for the price listed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

Speaking of Craigslist, someone in my area was excitedly selling their model 001 NES for $5000. Took me a second to figure out why.

There's a guy right now that is selling eight (count them, EIGHT!) original Xbox 2003 sports games for the low, low price of only $90.

The listing proudly displays that many of these titles are live enabled. (Despite the fact that Xbox Live hasn't worked for original Xbox games for years but who cares, right?).

Also some other guy with a Sega Pico.

My local craigslist ads suck.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

zenintrude posted:

You can still get lucky, but they are averaging $30~40 used at this point.

If you need new, yea, you're going to be looking at around $60.

$10 used CIB EGG is no more :(

The stupid thing is, there had been a complete copy of it for $10 around here for the longest time, and after this topic got me interested in DC games again, I decided to finally buy it.

The game inside was actually Ecco the Dolphin, and the store never had the actual game.

drat it.

I used to have it, too, but then went off on some tirade of selling off my Dreamcast collection for everything short of the system. Glad I never hit the final step, considering the system somehow fixed itself during its time in storage.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Unmature posted:

I want one...

EDIT: There's one on Ebay for a grand and a controller for 50 bucks

The cool thing about the Net Yaroze is that there are PlayStation Underground demo discs (excuse me, "CD Mags") that had games on them that were created on Net Yaroze development systems. I distinctly remember a Tetris clone with beans where every time you'd clear a line, this stereotypical texan drawl-type voice would pop up yelling "Yee-haw!"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My brother was more industrious in screwing me, because I kinda just ended up screwing myself. Drunk off the power of buying my first console (a PS1), he offered to trade all my SNES games for two PS1 games and a knock-off controller. I had most of the classics thanks to him telling me about them, including Earthbound, Super Metroid, etc.

The PS1 games? Soviet Strike and Sim City 2000. His friend broke the controller.

I got lucky and he's actually a decent person, as even when he was selling all his games for rent after losing his job years ago, he never sold Earthbound, and actually gave it back to me for Christmas about six years ago.

My step-brother though? While he's also alright now, he's the reason why I keep my poo poo locked up anymore. A PS2 Tenchu wasn't much of a casualty, but he also on one occasion took a miniature Galaxian arcade machine my late cousin gave me when I was 5. I loved that thing. Also the only thing I ever saw that took C batteries.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

The funny thing is some official pokemon names can't be put up for trade unless you rename them. It's because their names contain bad words.

I had this happen to me in the latest Kingdom Hearts, one of the monster things is called a "Pricklemane" and it wouldn't let me name it the name it prefilled in.

Pretty sure my original save file for Secret of Mana had the girl named "BITCH" (because Secret of Mana only had caps) and the sprite was named "poo poo". The main character naturally had my name.

My original playthrough of FFVI for some reason had Terra renamed to "Bedda." I-I had trouble with the naming controls... :f5:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Holy poo poo, an R-Zone, I completely forgot I used to have one of those horribly uncomfortable things. I think the only version of Battle Arena Toshinden I've played was through that thing. And some racing game that I vaguely want to say was based on a Sega property.

I also remember having this somewhat massive LCD game shaped like a stealth jet where you'd put your head into it all Virtual Boy-like and move it up and down to chase after bogeys. That thing was pretty neat, actually.

Also some Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers thing where you had to knock rings out of people's hands. But that was neither weird or interesting.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It actually... wasn't that?

The thing I'm thinking of was shaped and colored like the front of an F117 Nighthawk and only played one game. And Google is not helping because searching LCD anything brings up tons of laptops.

EDIT: Found it!

http://goo.gl/TEoTC

There's supposed to be an orange rim around the face part, though.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 6, 2013

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Anatidaephobia posted:

Yeah, that's true, personally wouldn't have any use for the hdd though. Are the online services for ps2 still up?

No, but it's more about soft modding the system and installing games to the hard drive so you can make games like Tales of the Abyss and Suikoden V playable with slightly less atrocious load times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was always incredibly partial to Demon's Crest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W_OawseSf0

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Akumajo Dracula X: Chi No Rondo is a PCE-CD game - there's a SFC game loosely based on Rondo (the JP version is called Akumajou Dracula XX, I think) but it's terrible, don't waste your money.

Eh, I'd say it's more that Rondo of Blood is definitely better, but there's nothing particularly wrong with Dracula X other than it aping a better game. The stages are also rather different so it's not like it's even samey enough to make it an inferior port or anything.

And without looking at any prices I'm assuming getting the JP version is cheaper because holy poo poo is the English version expensive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the wizards beard posted:

I can't remember if I asked this before but I have a PS2 that takes a long time to recognize a game disc after I insert it, maybe a minute. It doesn't seem to have any issues with reading the disk after this point, just immediately after I insert it. I've never had a DRE and loading times are otherwise normal. Is this a known problem and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Mine started doing that after I installed a hard drive, dunno if that's normal or not but it hasn't bothered me enough yet.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The discussion earlier about kmart got me to go inspect what they had left, and while none of it around here was really retro, they had some pretty deep discounts on some games with low enough print runs that it might still be worth it to check (mostly DS and Wii games).

Grabbed Legendary Starfy and Aliens Infestation for $10 a piece. Not great, but not terrible either.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Anybody happen to know what this thing is in the bottom left corner of the fifth picture?

*scrub*

It looks like a standard N64 memory card, except it has a funky picture on it that makes me wonder.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 20, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Iron Soul posted:

Memory card with the cover of Wonder Project J2 on it. Wikipedia says it was included with the game.

Well, that's completely out of place for everything else they're selling with the N64.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Are there any known problems with 3rd party SNES multitaps? Or rather, are there any that are blatantly garbage? I mean, as long as it works in this particular instance I don't care, since apparently the real mccoy is pretty pricey (which makes sense, since I've honestly never seen one in person).

For that matter, there wouldn't be anybody selling anything like that currently, would there? And I don't mean SA users or whatever just if it's on a place like Retrogate or something.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The only issue I ever had with my cheapo SNES multitap was that it wouldn't work with an extension cord (weird, right?). By the way, all multitaps are 3rd party since Nintendo did not make one for the SNES.

Yeah, I figured that out after I posted. Could have sworn at least that the Bomberman one was official, not that it matters.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Lemme know if you have a good experience. Although even then, I'd probably just chalk that up to being lucky.

One mad year in October I decided that it was ridiculous that I didn't already own every US released Castlevania game and bought SNES Dracula X off of Amazon (and every one of the other games I was missing from elsewhere). It was in pretty great condition.

Luck, or just the guy was honest with his description, anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DeathBySpoon posted:

I don't even know what this ad is getting at. Just... what?

Just sounds like someone who got scorned by a person selling Earthbound to them for what they thought was too much.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Now I'm getting nostalgic for demo discs, what is wrong with me.

Nothing. :colbert:

Now you need to go through the trouble of playing JP demos of Tail Concerto and Chain Dive and then playing a game of Funky Beans without having to buy a Net Yaroze.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

For a moment I thought that said Ehrgeiz and not Einhander and was incredibly confused.

For all the poo poo Ehrgeiz gets, I had some great fun with that back in the day.

The random-inclusion of a dungeon crawler game didn't hurt matters, either.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harlock posted:

Arc the Lad was great.

So was that Harvest Moon and that Grandia.

Of course that means I've never beaten any of them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Same, Raw Danger in particular is an absolute favorite of mine. I really wish DR3 had gotten some sort of English release/translation and that DR4 wasn't cancelled. And also that IREM didn't totally give up on R-Type and everything. I blame pachinko.

The thing that really pisses me off about that is an ex-Irem employee said they were getting mail about how some tips from the games saved their lives in that earthquake that basically cancelled their game for them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I buy digital games on consoles occasionally, usually the stuff I don't mind losing.

Would be nice to have the option of physical copies in some cases, but with how cheap most digital-only titles are it's hard to feel too slighted.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bonto posted:

Quick question for you smart fellows. How does the nes lightgun actually work? I recently bought a nes online and am just baffled at how it's meant to function. Does the nes have to be directly underneath the screen? Is there some way to calibrate it?

I booted up duck hunt and proceeded to just shoot away. It registered the shots but I couldnt hit a thing, and can't help feeling like my mum when she tries to wave to the google-maps cameras. I'm definately missing something.

It only works on CRTs, since it works based on making your targets white squares that have to be observed by the gun in certain frames of animation (which get delayed on modern televisions so as to make it impossible).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Holy crap, Goodwill finally paid off. Found a DKC3 cartridge for $3.

Not the greatest thing ever, but considering I've been checking every week for about six months and this is the first time I got results, I'm happy.

Label's worn to poo poo, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Considering for the longest time I only ever saw copies (granted they were real nice)for $25 paying $3 for a fun as poo poo game isn't that bad since you could print a new label. Any chance of seeing a pic of the label? I'm curious what you consider worn to poo poo.

Ah, I was going to bust out a photo but the camera is loving up.

"Worn to poo poo" might have been overselling it. It's more accurate to say that someone spilled some sort of blue liquid on it at some point and wiped it off hard enough to wear out the printing on a small part of it. Trying to clean it just proceeded to wear MORE off the label so I gave up.

I don't particularly care about reprinting labels, though. I'd rather it be real and crappy than fake and pristine.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My Dreamcast actually fixed itself in storage.

I have no idea what the gently caress.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ACID POLICE posted:

Sell me all your Dreamcast stuff at once please.

But protip: Just open it up and make sure the mechanism to hold down the lever that tells it the disc drive is closed actually works. If it doesn't, just hold it in the "closed" position and fill it up with hot glue. I've fixed probably a dozen Dreamcasts that were supposedly dead this way.

In fact I re-did these exact steps to my Dreamcast like 6 times with tape before I was like "gently caress it" and broke out a hot glue gun.

This is exactly the problem my DC used to have. I never bothered to really fix it, because making sure the lid was down without clicking would get it to boot. I used to put a metal model car on top of it to keep it from popping open.

Or you could also leave it in storage for five or so years. Apparently that works.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Peenmaster posted:

While the PC Engine is still fresh in everyone's mind, could someone please point me in the direction of what I need to play this:

It would me most appreciated.

Without actually spending the cash on native hardware? A PSP or a Wii.

I apologize if this is not :retrogames: enough.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I unironically love the original casting/acting and will never tire of it.

It's kind of how I view the translation for FFVI advance, I can appreciate the accuracy, but I still enjoy the original more.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wikipedia has a full list of lightgun games that may help you find something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gun_games

quote:

Silent Hill (Justifier/Hyperblaster, used for an easter egg)

:stare:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, wiimote shooting isn't perfect, I miss my GunCon. (Stupid LCD TV)

Wait, you can't use a GunCon on current TVs either? Didn't it come with (or had available) a little AV pass through that made it so you could use it without relying on the underlying technology? I know they advertised it back in the day as "increased accuracy" but the way that add-on worked led me to believe that it wouldn't matter what kind of TV you had.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Nope :smith: Guncons included a special pass-through which would capture the AV signal going to the TV. But this was so the data could by perfectly synced (including any processing latency by the ps2's graphics output) so that your aim would be spot on. It doesn't really change how the device works at all, its still pretty much a NES zapper.

How the hell does the one for the PS3 work, then? Is it basically a really specialized variant of a Wiimote/Move then? Either way, you have dashed my hopes quite expertly, good show.

Oh well, there's still the NegCon to look for. I had the JogCon at one point but that was just silly.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

The Wiimote doesn't interact with your screen at all, it interacts with the sensor bar, and uses internal sensors and bluetooth to work out the position and direction it's pointing.

The PS3 does things in kind of a reverse fashion; the USB camera scans for the weird ball thing on the end of the move and, like the Wiimote, uses internal sensors and bluetooth to work out the position and direction it's pointing.

I'm talking specifically about the GunCon that was bundled with Time Crisis... 4? on the PS3. I know (vaguely) how the pointer stuff works already.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

Oh, oops. Well, the Guncon 3 may just work! It apparently works similarly to the Wiimote:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/06/how_the_guncon_/

Now the question is, would this work with PS1 games on a PS3?

I HIGHLY doubt it, but that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

No, the input method is different. IIRC, though, it does work with PS2 gun games!

I have no nostalgia for PS2 gun games. :colbert:

• Locked thread