Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Chainclaw posted:

Ummmm, I Robot is first gen 3D graphics. It was released 10 years before Star Fox.

I, Robot is pretty awesome. It's such an eccentric little game with a great design aesthetic, and it's the only arcade game with a paint mode. When you drop in your quarter you have a choice between playing the actual game, or diddling around for ~3 minutes in a funky MS-Paint style canvas with animated 3D polygons.

Of course, I, Robot was predated by vector 3D games like Battlezone and Star Wars, but as far as I know it was the first shaded 3D game.

Virtual Fighter 4 for the PS2 has Virtua Fighter 1 included as a bonus/easter egg mode, and it's a great study in contrasts and "wow that used to look so good". Also I'm not sure I realized they made Virtua Fighter for the 32X:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Edison Carter posted:

I swear there were shaded 3D sequences in the Robotron sequel Blaster that pre-dated I, Robot by about a year. Damned if I can find shots of them though. :/

Nah I'm pretty sure Blaster is all scaled sprites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exV826Ee17k

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

Roughly how long is Mother 1? I might pick it up over the holidays, I'm taking a week off next week and I'll need something between marathons of Persona and finally picking up Demon's Souls again [I'll beat it someday drat it]

There's about 6-8 towns/areas, but it's way harder (and demanding of grinding) than Earthbound/Mother 3; it's not a game you're likely to breeze through in a few days.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
N-Gage needs a special headphone adapter, the GBA-SP is hardly unique in that regard. :v:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Uncle Jenkins posted:

If anyone's interested, here's the original art that I printed out and stuck in an old NHL '95 box (right click>view image for huge):

Fun trivia fact: in the original Japanese version of Sonik Der Hedgehog, the villain's name is "Dr. Adolf".

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

So simply making the game mono allowed them to double the bitrate? I mean who the hell cares about a GBA game having stereo, anyway? Why wasn't this done on retail releases more often?

Lower sample rate = you can fit more samples in RAM at once (for more complex instrumentation, for instance). This is especially important on the SNES, which only has 64 KB sample RAM on the (S-SMP) audio chip.

The GBA typically generates/mixes audio on the main CPU, and again, higher sample rate = more RAM and more stuff to process. Probably not as big a priority with a turn-based game like FF6, but with most games, conserving CPU cycles and system RAM would be a priority.

Also, a higher sample rate isn't going to be very noticable on typical earbuds, while stereo can add a lot of dramatic depth to a game's audio.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

pre:
RON
HOW
ARD

That's completely awesome.

So I recently released an album on bandcamp, which is a great platform for independent music publishing. I was looking at traffic graph on the artist stats page, when I noticed an odd link labeled "defender"

is this some kind of spam filtering or something I don't even

:monocle:

it's simple (you just fly around shooting landers) but playable.

h_double fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 21, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

al-azad posted:

The intro in retro hippie is probably the biggest issue as well. The guitar riff in Johnny B. Goode is super iconic but they can probably get away with the rest of the song.

I would totally take altered music if it meant releasing these games to a new generation that would very likely welcome them with open arms.

The Johnny B. Goode riff is a note-for-note copy from the opening riff of Louis Jordan's 1946 Ain't That Like A Woman, but IP law isn't always the most sensible or predictable.

I always figured that a lot of the reason Mother 3 never got a US release is that while NoA isn't quite as zealous about censorship as they were in the 80s and 90s, I'm not sure if/how they would deal a "kiddie" game including stuff like the main character's mom getting killed by a stake through the chest, or the "fairies" who are massive gay leathermen stereotypes.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
My point is that Earthbound was marketed as an all-ages kid friendly game. It's a series that I suspect would be seen as "too kiddie" by a lot of US audiences in their teens/20s, yet there a handful of pretty dark / bizarre moments that wouldn't sit well with little kids (or their parents).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

redmercer posted:

There's a big cross-cultural thing where we all try to look more decent than we actually are, I think, but it's getting less and less like that. At least, I'm sure that's why Mortal Kombat got green blood in Japan and why Capcom censored the NA releases of Darkstalkers and Jojos.

Yeah the only reason I question Earthbound/Mother 3 is because Ness is arguably an iconic "flagship" character for Nintendo, given his appearance in Smash Bros.

They've definitely gotten more relaxed about other titles they publish. Even the Rare stuff for the N64, Banjo-Tooie had some mildly naughty bits in it, and ironically Nintendo allowed Conker's Bad Fur Day to go uncensored, while Microsoft censored the Xbox remake.

I know a lot of green blood stuff is because of Germany, I don't know if that was a factor in in MK. Mortal Kombat in general is pretty funny with all the trivial censorship stuff that went on with the various home ports. I don't think MK 1 for SNES had any blood, and the Megadrive/Genesis version you had to enter a code for it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
This talk of Japanese Famicom exclusives got me looking at ROMs last night, and found two especially cool titles.

Remember that annoying kid in junior high who was full of stories about how his uncle worked at Nintendo and he had a played a Castlevania-style adventure platformer where the playable characters included Simon Belmont, Goemon, the kid from the Goonies, and King Kong? And how it also had gambling minigames, and Gradius-style shooting stages? That game is Wai Wai World, a 1988 mash-up of all things Konami, including the superheroic Konami Man and Konami Girl.

Then there's Joy Mecha Fight, which, uh, I guess is a little bit like Vectorman, and a surprisingly good fighting game by Famicom standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tu6PdXp6fo

There are English-translated ROMS of both games.

I already knew about stuff like Gimmick!, Sweet Home, and Holy Diver, and I'm going to have to give Miracle of Almana a look, it looks pretty cool.

Any other (English or fan-translated) Famicom exclusives I should know about?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WendigoJohnson posted:

Ok so I had a rather good find. I came across Star Trek: Starfleet Bridge Simulator for the 32X. It only cost me a dollar but I have no idea how the game is. I also came across Valis 4 for 6 dollars. Now I can find Valis 1,3, and Syd of Valis for the genesis real easily but no Valis 2. Was Valis 2 just not released on the Genesis or SNES?

Syd of Valis *is* Valis 2, updated with big head anime graphics (in Japan it was Valis SD ("super deformed")). As far as I know it was never released in any form for SNES.

h_double fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 22, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

redmercer posted:

If you were unaware, romhacking.net is pretty much the unofficial hub of the translation scene and has just about all of them. You might need to learn how to manually apply a patch, though.

I'd been to romhacking.net before but thank you for the reminder. I see they have a patch for Famicom Wars, which is a game I've been curious about for a while.

Random Stranger posted:

Wai Wai World has a sequel as well.

Second, go to this thread and watch some television all about Famicom games that never came out in the US. And other games but you can go straight to those episodes.

Hebereke, a.k.a. Ufouria in European markets, is a really terrific platformer.

Similarly we never got Adventure Island 4 and that's the best of the series. It's also the last official Famicom release.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am well acquainted with GCCX but there is a lot of territory to sort through :D

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I've used a magnet to drag the discolored spot off the corner of a CRT, but I don't especially recommend this.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sylpher posted:

Christmas haul. First time I have messed with a TG16. Interesting little console.

Nice find. Bloody Wolf is a great game. Now go find Bonk 3 and Ninja Spirit.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

H1KE posted:

Other crazy :retrogames: ideas include:
A giant Pacman shaped sit down, where you open his mouth to reveal the screen and controls. Still working on how to keep the mouth open when playing, that isn't going to fall down and break your wrists.

Think bigger -- you sit INSIDE the Pacman, it closes around you for extra immersion.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

H1KE posted:

Just got a reply about this machine:

What the hell? I've never heard of Pac-World nor seen such a contraption.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sexy Slippers posted:

This raises the question does anyone care if you post a random plug for your youtube if you start doing a nonSA let's play? I'm not saying you should update us on every post but a hey guys I'm doing this over here just an FYI seems ok to me.

Whoa, whoa, so you want to talk about old games?? ;-)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

The second thing is something many people wouldn't notice, but heat. I brought my HDD modded PS2 to a nerd convention once, and it became the Beatmania station. After about 3 hours, it became super hot to the touch, and was locking up badly. Didn't do lasting damage, but probably wasn't good for it.

I wonder if you could use an SSD?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sylpher posted:

Went around my usual spots this morning looking specifically for handheld stuff. Ended up finding way more stuff for cheap than I expected. I've been really digging some video pinball lately so I've been nabbing anything that catches my eye. I had never heard of Mario Pinball Land before but it was cheap so I scooped it up. It is... curious. And a few of the bars of the theme song gives me a serious Ducktales vibe.

Nice score on the Warioland games, I love those.

My most recent video pinball discovery is Devil Crash / Dragon's Fury for the Megadrive/Genesis (both are the same game as far as I can tell, Dragon's Fury was the US release with some of the "demonic" imagery scrubbed out, like a pentagram at the top of the playfield). Solid pinballing, terrific art design, great (if repetitive) music.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sandpiper posted:

haha yesss

under $80 and it's completely legit

thank you random Chinese guy from Shanghai

The Most American Game, available only via obscure Asian resellers. Such a tragedy.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Silhouette posted:

:hfive:

You're the only person I know who gets it. Much like every other Imagic game (DEMON MOTHERFUCKING ATTACK), WWI owns bones.

Worm War 1 was developed by Sirius and published by 20th Century Fox. Good game though, sort of a cross between Demon Attack and River Raid.

Imagic was a pretty awesome company too, Riddle of the Sphinx is probably my favorite game of theirs, though they had several pretty good shooters, and Microsurgeon for Intellivision had jaw-droppingly amazing graphics for its day.

SassyRobot posted:

Towering Inferno and Worm War I are loving awesome :3:.

Towering Inferno is indeed awesome.

You know who else made some great 2600 games was Parker Brothers. Reactor and Spider-Man are my favorites, and that Empire Strikes Back game is still pretty nice looking even if it's really repetitive.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Sonic got the ring.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it :files: to ask for a place where I can download/read Nintendo Power's early (NES-era) issues? Because I'm asking for that. Ideally I'd like to own those first 10-20 issues or so, but PDFs on my iPad would suffice for now.

I sent you a PM which you should ignore because you can download CBR scans from retromags.com

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Teaser for a new documentary, Space Invaders: In Search Of Lost Time, about retro arcade collectors. Looks pretty good, supposed to be released sometime Spring 2013.

https://vimeo.com/50465335

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Cicero posted:

I have a crazy idea, and I want to see if goons know if it can be done.

I want to be able to take my NES, SNES, and DC, and switch any of them between two TVs, for composite/S-Video, so that any two systems can be used at any time. I know AV switchers exist, of course, but the ones I've seen have always been multi-input single-output, for selecting from different sources for a single TV. Are there ones that are multi-input multi-output?

They exist in a single box, but typically are pro-level and cost several thousand dollars.

Google "video mixers" if you're curious; the Edirol V-4 is a relatively entry-level one at $1275. The good news is it'd also let you do fancy sweep/fade transitions between your video sources.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Looks promising, but note it won't convert between Composite and S-Video; it only works if the input and output are the same format.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

cosmicjim posted:

I could just be a broken person, but I enjoyed PSIV more than snes FF games.

Mostly agree, though I do like FF5 a lot for the crazy open-ended job system. Definitely PSIV > SNES FF in terms of art design and sountrack though.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

midge posted:

He also did an interview with Retro Gamer magazine some time ago on the same topic. It's easy to hate on EA these days but they really did pioneer modern game development in the west.

Electronic Arts was incredibly innovative when they started out in the 80s (Atari 800 / Apple II / Commodore 64 era). Archon and M.U.L.E. are particular standouts, plus Pinball Construction Set, Racing Destruction Set, Realm of Impossibility, Seven Cities of Gold, Starflight, Bard's Tale -- all games which either defied genre or majorly pushed the envelope.

h_double fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 11, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

roffels posted:

This might be terrible advice, but I think if you want to play 5200 quality games, but want to avoid using Atari 5200 controllers, just go for the Atari 8-bit computer systems and their games instead. A lot of the arcade classic ports are pretty much the same or similar, and you can use the 2600 controllers (or Genesis!) in place of those awful 5200 controllers.

Back in the days of Atari 800 :filez: there were bootleg ports of a lot of 5200 games to run on the 8-bit computers. There are a few minor differences in the 5200 BIOS, but the CPU and video chip are the same on both platforms.

Pretty much the only 5200 exclusive titles were Space Dungeon (which is a cool twin stick shooter, which means you'd need TWO working controllers to play on the original hardware) and Countermeasure (which looks neat but I've never tried it). Or I guess if you could get a hold of the trac-ball add on, you can play Centipede and Missile Command the way they were intended.

The early 80s were really a golden age for lovely controllers though. I don't know how anybody ever thought the wobbly analog stick on the 5200 was a good idea, but then again its competition was the likes of the Colecovision

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

I will never truly understand why hardware developers thought having telephone keypads was good idea for game controllers, nor why it had to take till 1983 for anyone to figure out the d-pad + buttons design for a controller.

I actually liked the keypad controller for the Intellivision, which had a good number of strategy games which used the keypad to good effect, like instantly selecting different units in Sea Battle, or secretly calling plays in football. Also keep in mind that in the early 80s, it was non-trivial for consoles to display more than a line or two of text at a time (due to limits of both resolution and video memory), so it wasn't very practical to select stuff with onscreen menus or help messages. Complexity got offloaded to the controller because the console hardware itself wasn't sophisticated enough.

The 5200 and Colecovision, on the other hand, hardly had any games that justified the keypad. It also amazes me that they had the keypad input, but still only a single action button. Arcade games had good controls since day one, it's weird it took home systems to get a point where controllers were consistently decent.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

Oh I know all about that, I have a pretty decent Intellivision collection. But most of the games would be way better served by some form of high button count gamepad such as an original playstation controller (before they added the dual analogs).

Also modern consoles need paddle controllers dammit.

Agreed, though back in the day I think a lot of people would have scoffed at, or been intimidated by, being faced with a 12-button controller when all they wanted was to kick back in their wood paneled basement for a relaxing game of Car Driver or Gun Shooter.

And of course, when somebody DID try to make a controller with lots of buttons, it resulted in things like the Coleco Super Action Controller (which even had a spinner):

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

Intellivision controllers have 16 buttons (though the top 2 side action buttons are actually the same signal so really 15 buttons), Atari 5200 controllers have 19 buttons... and then yeah the Super Action Controllers have 16 and the spinner bullshit too.

They just loaded those shits up with buttons without any concept of ergonomics.

I guess my point is that with a keypad + overlay, you didn't have to memorize all those controls.

Lack of ergonomics was a big part of it, it probably also took a while for game designers to figure out how to make games that used all those inputs. The crazy thing about the 5200 is it had that horrible controller, yet probably 90%+ games on the system were simple arcade ports with a joystick + single fire button.

Install Gentoo posted:

Speaking of weird controllers though:

lollin at "joystick simulator".

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

^^^^ Exactly.

I want this. :stare:

I guess I need a Colecovision to use it though...

Colecovision used the same D-SUB 9 connectors as the 2600 and Genesis, you'd probably be able to at least use the joystick and one fire button, but it used a weird method to encode the keypad and other buttons that might not be possible to emulate in software.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I've ordered from Best Electronics, that guy is legit as hell. He sent me about 30 xeroxed pages of random Atari lore and some free Jaguar stickers along with my order.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Douche Bag posted:

Is it worth buying a Dreamcast? It doesn't seem like it was out long enough to build up a decent library and after looking through some of the games it seems like a lot were ports.

Frequently the DC versions of multi-platform games are considered the definitive versions (e.g. Tony Hawk 2 for Dreamcast is IMO the best Tony Hawk game period).

If you like fighting games and shmups, the answer is a pretty enthusiastic yes, especially given that the DC runs on the same basic hardware as the NAOMI arcade boards, so a lot of ports are arcade-perfect.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Are there any good DC shmups that aren't expensive imports?

Mars Matrix and Giga Wing are both terrific.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 20, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I downloaded Earthbound over dial-up internet on one of those geocities sites where you had to vote for the site or go to some other banner farm site to find the secret download link to the ROM. It's a pretty okay game.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

HKR posted:

It plays all Genesis games in a quality most of us remember as what the genesis looked like so I'm sure there'd be a goon that'd love it.

I mean christ I didn't even hook up my consoles via composite until the PS2. Everything was RF.

When I signed the least on my first apartment, in 1997, my parents got me a TV as a housewarming gift. It was a nice 24" set, with no composite inputs. A really nice gesture that made me a little :smith: inside.

So yeah, I hooked up everything through an RF-connected VCR until such time as I got an HDTV a decade later.

h_double fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 28, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I think there's plenty of Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Coleco games that do a good job of presenting arcade style games for the home and there's a lot of games that hold some significance despite not being really good thanks to the limitations of the technology. Any of those would be good for a collection even if there's massive piles of terrible crap.

A lot of Activision's games were pretty good, many of the pre-1981 arcade ports by Atari themselves, and Yar's Revenge, of course, jump out at me immediately. Parker Brothers was a surprisingly impressive company for people who got into the Atari 2600 game business pretty late; Empire Strikes Back, Q*Bert (better than the NES port since it's easier to adjust the 2600 stick's position for the cubes), and their Frogger port are pretty solid.

Parker Brothers' 2600 Spider-Man game is great.

I really like the 2600 for multiplayer games, because they're all so accessible and perfect for playing in 10-15 minute chunks if you're chilling out with friends and want something that's fun that doesn't require a lot of attention span. Combat is still a work of art, and it doesn't get any more retro than anything with paddles. I also have a soft spot for 2600 sports games, because they're so weird and typically bear only a fleeting cosmetic resemblance to the sport they are modeling. Being able to freely steer the ball in midair, a baseball game (Home Run) with only one player in the field (or three players moving in unison), I love all that poo poo.

Activision Boxing is surprisingly good too, it's the distilled essence of fighting game, and is still satisfying when you can get your friend trapped in a corner and whale on them repeatedly.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah really, the best part of those games are the box art.

I've been tempted to get an Odyssey 2 specifically because the box art aesthetic is so cool and insane.

h_double fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Can I ask why all this flash cart chat isn't considered :filez:? Did ROMs become legal and I missed it or something? Genuinely curious, not being a smart rear end.

Game forum rules say: "Warez: What about Roms/Abandonware? We also allow anything that isn’t commercially available or easily purchased, within reason. Check with a mod before hand. However we do not allow rom sets or random torrents and anyone REQUESTING files will be punished. This is not a file forum."

It's fine to talk about old poo poo, and the ROM Pit has been a thing for ages.

• Locked thread