Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Pinguliten posted:

He's an old and respected member of neo-geo.com, I've seen his custom work and it's clean and neat.

Is he still doing stuff? I tried to buy a modded DUO-R from him several times and never got any sort of response back (which is why I ended up going with doujindance). His superguns look a little too good to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

iastudent posted:

How often does doujindance offer stuff on eBay? Currently he doesn't have any consoles for sale, the last one it looks like was sold on the 27th of last month.
If you shoot him an e-mail, 9 times out of 10 he will respond within 24 hours with a new listing for you to buy via Buy It Now.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm also for being able to sell and trade games strictly within this thread. The mods might not go for it, though. We used to do something similar in the action figure thread in BSS and got told to bring it to SA Mart.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I hit the local stores today and didn't find anything too good. I almost picked up Rad Racer 1 and 2 and a CIB copy of Sunset Riders (Genesis) for $16, but I passed in the end. I might swing by and pick them all up tomorrow because it's weighing on my mind.

Does anyone know what the definitive version of Bart Vs. The Space Mutants is? I remember playing it on the NES as a child, but my local store has a copy for Genesis.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

All of you guys are haters, it was the coolest game for cool kids :colbert:.

EDIT: I remember renting both it and Bart Vs. The World as a child and being so confused how a video game based off an awesome TV show could be so amazingly bad. Then I rented X-Men for the NES and I realized that the world is a terrible place.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Crimson Harvest posted:

My pickups today:

That's a PS1 power cable, a PS1 spindle post, a PS2 network adapter, a 500gb IDE disk, Gauntlet 4 for Genesis, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mystic Quest, and Ys 3 for SNES. I know Mystic Quest is pretty bad/easy/boring but I love the music.

I LOVED Mystic Quest when it first came out. I knew I was playing a dumbed down RPG but I ate it up. The sound effects sounded really meaty to me and I adored the art direction for it. It has a very special place in my heart. That said, I'm insanely jealous of your haul between that and Ys 3. They're two of the last few games remaining that I need to recoup what some rear end in a top hat stole from me back in Elementary School.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

^^drat, I wish I could justify some of those. Snow Bros was my favorite NES game to rent as a kid.

Vrikkian posted:

The Legend of Oasis
Advanced D&D: Eye of the Beholder (disk)
Sonic CD (disk)
I'd love these if we can find a good price! Want me to hit you up via PM?

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 16, 2012

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the amazing insight and story, Doug. I'm so envious; I learned Japanese with intent on trying to get into translation so your story/career is fascinating to me. :allears:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

HKR posted:

I have a Neo Geo MVS board here that I need to get rid of. It's an MV-1C, the same type I used to build my consolized MVS. I will be putting it up on SA mart probably.

However, I'm willing to turn it into a consolized MVS for a fellow Retro Goon, and want to put that offer here before I list the board on SA Mart. Right now price estimate for a consolized MVS is hovering around $450 (That includes the board, video encoder, unibios install and other misc parts).

My consolized MVS isn't the prettiest but it works like a champ:

If I don't get a reply within the week or so I'll put the board up on SA mart.

I've always been interested in an AES but the price is just too scary for me. A consolized MVS really interests me, though. What kind of controllers do you wire it up to use (Neo Geo sticks?)--and do you have any you would be willing to sell with it? Color me intrigued in this offer.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 17, 2012

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I kind of like the LED on the front--it's reminiscent if the OG SNES model. I guess any new LEDs that you are putting in there are probably excruciatingly bright compared to that old red light, though, so maybe top mounted is better.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just picked up a Final Fantasy edition Wonderswan Color off of 8-bit Miniboss. I'm loving stoked to try it out, but unfortunately I have to wait until Christmas (my girlfriend was quick to claim it as a gift to me from her). Does anyone have any must-get games for it? I'm already planning on picking up Final Fantasy 2 and 4--language barrier isn't an issue.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ineffiable posted:

All I know that might be good (if language isn't a problem) is that there's a Chocobo's Dungeon game for it, Clock Tower, Gunpey, Magical Drop 1, a whole mess of super robot taisen games, and I think that's about it.

Honestly, it's more a novelty than something I would actually play games on regularly.

If you want to check out a rare Wonderswan game, get Eschatos for the 360. It's the base game, plus 2 wonderswan titles: Judgement Silversword (ebay value at 200+) and Cardinal Sins (a wonderwitch only thing, and the wonderwitch is like 200+ to get too)

Eschatos can be less than 100 to get.

Awesome, I'll look into those! I figured game ports on it wouldn't be very good, but I've always lusted after once since I was younger for some odd reason. The price was right and I just wanted another oddball portable system to put next to the Neo Geo Pocket Color on my shelf. :3:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of Suikoden anybody happen to know if the Japanese psp release has english as an option? That's definitely something I'd import if I was able to understand it.

It does not, sadly.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Well, Retro Goons, looks like it's about time we got our second emote.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Awesomonster posted:

Yeah, I added several things to my wishlist only to give someone an idea of what I'd like that I don't already own. I'll honestly be absolutely thrilled with whatever shows up. I can't imagine anyone involved being such a bummer as to not be happy with whatever they get, even if it wasn't on their wishlist. Its hard to be mad about free stuff!

That being said, I do think it'd be a good idea to have everyone list their collections somewhere for next time, just to make it easier to know what not to buy.

This was pretty much what I did, as well. I figured the wishlist gave a good idea of what I am interested in and also what I don't have. I think any one of us is going to be thrilled with whatever we get. Plus, let's be honest, if one of you assholes gets me something for a system I don't own, well... guess I gotta get that system. Then RGB mod it. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My local used shop had a stack of Saturn games in tonight (which they almost NEVER get in). They only accept CD games in their boxes, which is a nice bonus, so I was able to snag Super Bust A Move 2 and Space Hulk for a combined $12 (both CIB). I was tempted by the CIB Sonic Jam until I saw they wanted $30 for it. CIB for Saturn doesn't matter much to me, since I toss the boxes in a storage bin and keep the CDs in a binder next to the system.

They also had a Master Sytem (Power Base 2) with the hookups, two controllers and two games (Rambo 3 and something else equally awful) for $55. I've never owned a Master System, so I'm kind of tempted (and I already have 4-5 Master System games that I randomly acquired). I'm just not sure if I should pull the trigger.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Based on all that info, I think I'll hold off on the Master System. I have enough store credit to pick it up for free, but it'd slowly chip away at my soul knowing I couldn't play card-based games.

RadicalR posted:

Which shop is this!? You bastard! You've been holding out on me!

Just Second and Charles. 90% of the time they have a disappointing haul, but every now and then you can strike gold there. Unfortunately they suffer the "System Mascot? 75% Markup" syndrome a lot of places do.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The Orange Mage posted:

The Power Base Converter for the Genesis/Mega Drive has near-100% compatability as far as I know, which isn't very far, but it takes cards AND carts!

Does the PBC work with the CDX? I've always wondered that, but assumed it didn't. :(

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

sandpiper posted:

I want to play Dragon Force but I don't feel like dropping 60usd minimum to get it.

Oh well.

ed: I guess this is the time to camp eBay.

I was in the same boat as you around 10ish years ago. I finally resigned to just buying a Japanese copy for cheap. Imagine my surprise when it showed up in a Japanese case with all of the inserts but an NTSC-U disc. I have no idea how that happened, but the retro gods smiled on me that day.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Cicero posted:

Is this where we post silly retro gaming purchases we made?

At a highly portable 110 lbs! I actually felt bad buying it from Goodwill, apparently it was on sale so I only paid :10bux:.

edit: According to the internet, in order to get rid of the "Video 2" in the corner, I need a remote with a button called "Display". The universal remotes I'm seeing on Amazon don't seem to have that, though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Almost any Sony remote will do such as this one or this one. The first one is probably a better bet, since it is specifically a universal remote.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Fought my cold and finished up my Santee's shopping! Hopefully none of my germs get packaged up with the retro goodies :ohdear:.

While looking at some retro games, though, I came across a common problem (at least common for me) when hunting: finding a cart that sounds like there is a loose pebble inside when you shake it. Does anyone know what the common cause for this is? I've always avoided buying games that rattled when I shook them, but never really knew what it was that caused it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Awesomonster posted:

I got my secret santa box today! Hoo boy, you guys!

All in all, an AWESOME haul. And no Keith Courage in sight!

Hurray! I'm glad you got it! Again, I'm really sorry there weren't any awesome notes in the box :(. I had planned to make awesome puns on each package about how they could all be copies of Keith Courage, but multiple late nights at the office in a row meant I had to have my girlfriend ship it off for me. And she just didn't understand the hilarity of my intended clues <:mad:>.

I have really fond memories of Evolution and I felt like it was both a fun game AND it fit your request of being somewhat fever-dream like.

And King's Knight, man. I bought that game from a pawn shop as a kid not knowing what to expect. It's the best. :allears: Every time I bust it out for someone to play for the first time I hear new ways to phrase, "What in the gently caress is this?"

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Baldrash posted:

I've heard Uniracers is pretty good, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Uniracers isn't pretty good, it is loving awesome. Try to name one of your unicycles Sonic and just see what happens :allears:.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GET EQUIPPED WITH: FEDEX BOX

What's this? Some sort of ancient script. I seem to remember my teachers in elementary school telling me about the lost art of "cursive." Maybe I can remember enough to decipher to truly retro letter:

code:
PACKING LIST:

1x: Remake of a last-ditch effort to stave off bankruptcy

1x: Remake of a game with an annoying leveling system

1x: Remake ofa game that sends you back to level 1

1x: Failed cash-in attempt that sold under 200 copies worldwide

1x: Depiction of Megaman and Crashman (or Clashman...)

Happy Holidays!	

-Kreeblah

Wait! There's more? The letter WASN'T THE RETRO GIFT!? Holy moly, Kreeblah you are SO AWESOME.

Final Fantasy 1,2 and 4 for the Wonderswan! They arrived JUST IN TIME! My girlfriend and I are exchanging gifts tomorrow evening and I just happen to have insider info that she is getting me a Wonderswan Color! And Final Fantasy 4 is my favorite in the series--and I love 1 and 2 because of their quirkiness. And all of them are CIB, too! :neckbeard:

How did you also know that I am a total geek over Perler Bead art?! AND I LOVE MEGAMAN (Crashman's stage haunted my dreams as a child :argh:)! This is going to be proudly displayed on my desk at work and anyone who doesn't know what it is doesn't get the designs they want from me.

I've never heard of Uncle Henry's Playhouse before, but your quip about it being a collosal failure has me very intrigued. Not to mention it's still factory shrinkwrapped. This is going to go on my gaming hall of fame shelf, it'll make for an awesome discussion piece. It's also reminded me that I've never played any of the games it has taken puzzles from, so I will have to do that this Winter.

Thanks again! You totally made my weekend!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

ultimateforce posted:

Any advice on where to start looking? I actually found a decently priced Initial D on Craigslist but I doubt that's the best place to start.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/ mainly focuses on candy cabs, but their seller section also has a lot of other machines that go up from time to time. I've seen several Initial D Version 2 and 3 sets go for sale. Just note that a lot of their users are in Europe so you might have to either pay a lot for shipping or (preferably) just wait until a US-based seller lists something. Everyone there is extremely nice and helpful, too.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The Ultima collection (1-9 and Underworld 1+2) is on sale for about 6 more hours on GOG.com. I've only ever played Ultima 9 and Ultima 3: Exodus on NES (I know, I know)--how do they stand up today? For $8.50 I figure I can't go wrong, but I might skip on getting 1-3 (and 4-6) if they're only really worth it for novelty.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I got my SD2SNES from Stone Age Gamer :neckbeard:. Unfortunately, though, it seems to freeze on the menu about 75% of the time. If I can get it to actually boot a game it runs flawlessly, but that often requires several resets. There's really no rhyme or reason to how long it takes it to freeze on the menu, either (sometimes it is instantly and other times it will freeze after I've browsed my list of games for a minute or two).

I'm using an official AC Adapter, so I don't think it would be that. The system itself runs normal games fine, so I'm down to it either being the SD2SNES or the SD card. Has anyone else run into any issues like this? I was going to buy a second SNES just to test it on, but there's none available around me for an affordable price. Hamburglar, you're not still selling off any of your extras, are you?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

the_lion posted:

Not 100% sure on this, but maybe you've got a dodgy rom or two in the folder and that's causing it?
I'm using the GoodSNES 2.04[GoodMerged] set, give that a try if you haven't already. I had a few games not load, but the majority work fine.
I think someone else mentioned that pretty much all SD cards work.

If it's still failing, i think a couple pages before, someone mentioned the dude is pretty cool about sending your sd2snes back to see if it's working or not.

Yeah, I e-mailed the guy and he gave me a list of things to try and also told me that most of the time people send one of the Everdrives or SD2SNES back it is because of some other factor and the boards actually work. I hadn't considered that it could be a bad ROM causing it, the set I have is from several years back. I'll pare it down and try it with just one or two from the GoodMerged set, thanks for the advice!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

use no-intro set
Thanks, sorry that I missed this advice from before. I got woefully behind on this thread after the last month and ended up posting my problem before catching up. :ohdear:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I popped the no-intro set of ROMs into my SD2SNES and now it is running flawlessly, so it looks like it really was an issue with some of the random ROMs I'd picked from my goodmerge set. Definitely good to know, and now I'm so happy this baby is working. I spent the afternoon UPS Patching a bunch of games, time to dig in to the Sailor Moon RPG tonight. :getin:

Handsome Ralph posted:

If there are any D.C. areas goons up for this sort of thing, I'd be down for it.
I live in Arlington, about 2 miles from DC and I'd be down for a retrogoon meet-up!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

BoutrosBoutros posted:

You certainly do not have to remove the top to do that mod. If you have needle nose pliers then you have all the tools you need. Just grab the tabs and bend them off basically. You can also heat up a hobby knife and melt them off if you can't get them to break that way, but you should be able to just just straight up rip them out without causing any other damage to your system.

Yeah, it can't be stressed enough how easy it is to do. I did it two months after breaking both of my arms and wrists in a motorcycle accident--I had absolutely no grip power and could barely rotate my wrist but the tabs came right off.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

What controller is that? I need to get a replacement for the lovely 2-button ones I've got.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Caitlin posted:

Popecrunch! :swoon: The Nomad is fully, completely functional and wonderful. Thank you so much!

When I was growing up, the mother of one of my best friends had a Nomad. I pined over it endlessly with the thought of playing Phantasy Star 3 (gently caress the haters) in bed or in the car. I never asked my mom for one because money was tight, but I lusted over it secretly. A few years ago my friend was having a yard sale and I joking told him to hold the Nomad for me. He replied, "Oh, actually, that's something we're selling. So, sure." I almost had a heart attack. Then the yard sale got canceled and his mom gave me the Nomad for free :shobon:. The screen is loving terrible, but I still love the novelty of the system.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just a heads up for anyone in the NOVA/DC/MD area, Starland is doing another GamersXchange on Sunday. They have a competition Star Fox cart for people to score attack for prizes, a bunch of retro games set up to play and are selling vendor tables to stores/individuals to sell stuff. I didn't make it out to the last one, so I have no idea if it was filled with nerds hawking their "super rare/clean" SNES copies of Shaq Fu for $70 or if it was worth going to.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23330

Looks like someone is selling off a Nintendo Super System with 3 games (Super Tennis, F-Zero and Mario World) for (what I consider to be) cheap at 170GBP shipped within the UK. :swoon:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I stopped by one of my local haunts last night and made out with a good haul. Amidst the hilariously overpriced copies of Sonic Blast and SMB 2, I snagged:

(all for NES)
Ultima 3: Exodus (I lost my copy of this a long time ago, and it's the best version of Ultima 3. I'll hear no other arguments.)
Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
Milon's Secret Castle
Athena
Batman

for $19 total. My girlfriend wanted to murder me after I left the intro music to Ultima looping for several minutes. :swoon:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've wanted to check out the Ultima's and have heard the NES versions hold up better than their counterparts. I'm assuming that's true for 4 as well as 3?

I'm honestly not sure--I have the older Ultima games via GOG but I've never really played them. The NES ones have awesome graphics for the time, in my personal opinion. The music is also pretty surreal in its own way. To be fair, though, the last time I brought up my unbridled love for Ultima 3 on the NES a lot of people in this thread shot it down as a terrible port. To those who don't know any better, I think it still holds up.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

drat, my perils with the SD2SNES keep popping up. After switching to the no-intro set of ROMs everything worked swimmingly for a while until last weekend. I turned on the SNES and left the room and forgot about it. About thirty minutes later I came in and found it had frozen on the menu screen again, and resetting it kept having the cart randomly lock up while navigating the menu--same as before with the "corrupt" ROMs. I'm wondering if it is something with my SNES at this point, looks like it might be time to pick up an extra one to check. :retrogames:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

HKR posted:

Are you using the original power supply?

Yeah, I'm using the original power supply that came with the system. I guess I should try swapping out for a different one just to see if mine failed. I've got a shitload of Genesis supplies but no extra SNES ones, I'll have to snag one. If anyone here has one they're willing to sell, shoot me a PM. I'd rather deal with one of you guys and be guaranteed I'm getting an OEM adapter instead of getting a third party knockoff.

The odd thing, though, is that the game runs normal SNES carts fine and if I boot into a game from the SD2SNES it also runs fine, it only seems to potentially stall out on the menu screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Did you try a different SD card?

Actually, I need to do that, thanks for reminding me. It was on my list of things to try and I completely spaced on it.

Lime posted:

You should probably get a higher power AC adapter. The stock one is only rated for 850mA, right? I know krikzz recommends at least 1A for the Everdrive MD, and that thing doesn't even have an FPGA like the SD2SNES does.

When I originally e-mailed StoneAgeGamer to inquire if they had experienced the issue before, they told me to make sure I was using an official Nintendo adapter. I never though to check what Krikzz recommended, but I'll try and dig that up now. I appreciate all of the help!

• Locked thread