Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Retro Gamers Gift Exchange : Summer Games Edition!

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE COMMITTING! YES YOU!

Important Dates:
  • Saturday, June 15 - Registration Cut off: Registration cutoff is the day before US Thanksgiving. You must register before then.
  • Saturday, June 22nd - Name Distribution: RGGEees will be distributed by the site. You will get an email linking to Elfster, it will say on the LEFT who your RGGEee is.
  • Monday, July 22nd - Ship-by Date: Ideal ship-by date. PLEASE do everything you can to have your gift on its way on or before this day.
  • Wednesday, July 31st - Deadbeat Cut Off: If you have not provided proof of shipping by this date, you will be considered a deadbeat and banned (Mod approved!).

Rules:
  • To be eligible for RGGE Summer Games 2013 you must have posted at least 5 constructive posts in this exact thread. I will be using your profile to check this.
  • You must register by June 15th, no registrations will be accepted after that. Don't ask.
  • Proof of shipment rule, no proof = you're a deadbeat. When you ship your gift you must provide proof of shipment. Elfster has a special tool for this, just click the link on the left above your RGGEees's name and input the tracking number. If you have no tracking number, please EMAIL or PM me a photo the shipping receipt.
  • Gift costs: I would assume most gifts are coming out of collections around the world. But try and keep your gift value at a minimum of $25 market value. No one needs another copy of Fifa 95.
  • There will be a cap of $50. Please do not spend more than $50 on gifts for someone unless you are happy to be disappointed on the receiving end...
  • If you will be moving or traveling a lot during a gift time please say so in your email and/or post so that I/your RGGEer knows when and where the best time to send your gift is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 : Registration
    1. Visit >>>THIS LINK HERE<<<
    2. Click the green RSVP button
    3. Click "Join Elfster"
    4. Fill out the form be sure to put your SA USERNAME in the username box - if you don't include your SA Username you will be removed from the group.
    5. Uncheck the "Keep me posted about news and events at Elfster" box, unless you want spam emails.
    6. Click "Join"
    7. Fill in the mailing address that you want to receive your gift at, include your country
    8. Post in this thread

Filling out your profile on Elfster is optional, but prefered. You can add plain text to your wishlist to let your RGSS know what kind of things you would like to show up at your door. Please do this to avoid utter disappointment.

The absolute biggest problem I had last year was linking Elfster accounts to their SA names. Make it obvious. If you don't make it crystal clear who you are on SA you will be removed from the group. Please take steps to make sure this doesn't happen

Step 2 : Post In Thread
    In addition to visiting the link above, you MUST post in this thread. In your post please have:
    1. Start the post with RGGE:Summer Games (makes it easy to find in a search).
    2. Will you ship international?
    3. A list of your consoles
    4. Favorite genres of game
    5. Any specific requests.
    6. You may include an optional "do not send" list. Don't want 5 EA titles showing up in the mail? Say so.

Step 3 : Knowing Your RGGEee
After the draw date the website will inform you who your RGEEee is. Use the information they have provided on the website and in this thread to help your gift decision making.

Elfster allows you to connect them in private to ask further questions. Try and aim for between $25 and $50.

Step 4 : Shipping
Ship ASAP. Shipping is always a hassle. I know we can't force you to use one service over another, but be aware that you are responsible for what you ship. So take extra steps to make sure everything goes smoothly. Here are some tips:

• Use UPS, DHL or Fedex if available. They offer easy tracking and TRACKING NUMBER IS MY PREFERRED FORM OF SHIPMENT PROOF
  • Write the addresses clearly on your box and TRIPLE CHECK THAT THEY ARE CORRECT!! A misspelled zip code can delay shipping for weeks, and a wrong address means no one gets a gift. If you have bad handwriting or don't want to mess up, consider copy/pasting and printing out the address emailed to you and then tape it to your box.
  • Pack your gifts well. Use good padding (plastic bags, newspaper, peanuts, etc) to keep items safe.
  • If you DO decide to use USPS, keep in mind that they have flat rate boxes that ship for the same price as long as it's under 70 lbs.
  • For those shipping internationally, people report wonderful success with UPS. Cheap, great tracking and reliable. Canada goons (such as myself) do NOT want things sent via UPS, they add massive brokerage fees.
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MARK YOUR PACKAGE AS A GIFT IF SHIPPING INTERNATIONALLY!!!

Proof of shipment
    You must provide proof of shipment before July 31st or you will be considered a deadbeat and banned. Please put the tracking number on Elfster, it makes checking it very easy for me but it also automatically sends the tracking to your RGGEee! Convenient! If you do not have a tracking number, you must EMAIL or PM me a photo/scan of the shipping receipt.

Accepted types of proof:
  • Tracking number from UPS, Fedex or DHL (This is preferred, please use one of these services unless you really can't for whatever reason)
  • Photo or scanned image of your shipping receipt with your username written on it. Most receipts have the zip code of the recipient, so this is how I will check these.

I don't want purchase receipts of whatever gifts you buy. I want SHIPPING proof.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those outside of the US: I will do my best to pair you with someone from your country. I can't guarantee this, so please put in your post where you are willing to ship, just in case.

Please keep us updated. There is a facebook like wall for the exchange. Try to keep active on there.

I just want to say: This is the second time I've organised anything like this. It was pretty successful and people have been asking me to run another. It takes a lot of time and effort to co-ordinate and chase people down. I'd love a repeat of the last one with ZERO deadbeats.

If you have ANY questions, concerns or anything you need at all. Please PM or email me!

RGSS EMAIL = retrogamingsecretsanta@gmail.com

A HUGE THANKS TO
The games mods for promising to kick someone's rear end if they gently caress with someone's summer!

midge fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah I know nothing about those; so any :spergin: info would be appreciated.

If anyone finds the OP difficult to read/follow, let me know. I tried to break it up as much as I could with graphics and paragraphs and bolding and such. Just let me know if I could do a better job.

It's pretty loving massive. As a collective we really need to start using and reference the wiki more. As much as I respect the effort that went into the OP, you are basically pandering to people that don't want to use the wiki.

Let it be said that I'm just as much to blame for this as anyone else.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Katana Gomai posted:

Time to christen this amazing thread with the first haul-post:

105€ for the whole lot via eBay (that Terranigma :swoon:). The guy didn't even advertise the Zelda map which is worth like 10€ by itself; probably the best lot I got so far, although that might change tomorrow (spoilers!)

The idea of a boxed set console coming with an adaptor to play games from a handheld is blowing my loving mind. What loving parent would be "Sure Jimmy, I'll fork out $300 for you to play 6 Golden Coins on my brand new 22" screen!"

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

triplexpac posted:

My girlfriend texted me in a panic, saying her Super Mario World save is gone but mine is still there.

"Honey, are you there?"
"Yes, it's me, what's up?"
"I stayed home from work this morning, I've got some really bad news"
"...oh god, what's wrong?"
"My...my save. I've lost it. 92 stars....gone.."
"I'm on my way, stay warm"

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

tvb posted:

Bravo on that OP. Awesome.

:siren:SECRET SANTA POST:siren:
Since the old thread will probably fall off the face of the earth before the SARGSS names get passed out, I took it upon myself to save everyone's messages from the old thread and aggregate them here (except Wickedicon, who dropped out). This should be everyone. I'll link to this post from the Elfster page, too, so when the time comes, everyone can easily find it. (Note: Elfster says there are 28 participants, but there are 29 here. I can't figure out if I hosed up or if someone just hasn't registered on Elfster yet, but here they are anyway.)

Thanks babe. There is 28 because a guy (WickedIcon) dropped out yesterday. Could you send me the plain text of this in a PM so I can add it on that 2nd post in the thread?

I'm also considering bringing the sign in cut off date forward to a week on Friday (16th) since sign ups have started dropping off.

I've been on the edge of that a few times, but their Canadian shipping is bullshit cost.

midge fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 6, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

fatpat268 posted:

How much was it? It cost $16 to ship to me. I curious what they'd cost to canada.

But yea, international shipping has always been ridiculous. I understand shipping overseas is expensive, but shipping across the border to canada should only differ in a few bucks.

From memory it was equal to the cost of the goods and that is before customs get hold of it.

Edit : Ha! I found the quote!

$42.00 (Goods) + $61.06 FedEx Ground Int'l Shipping + $25.00 Cross Border Fees* = $128.06 USD$(FOB Simi Valley CA)

So $128 for $42 of goods.

If any goon could buy these fuckers in bulk and resell them to me I'd give 100 blowjobs in return....and I have bad jaw; that's commitment!

There is at least 4 Toronto goons in this thread that post (I know one in person and I've chatted with triplexpac enough to know where he lives). So we could make a bulk purchase from you and split the spoils!

midge fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 6, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Kilazar posted:

You have to be damned fast to beat goons on SA mart. I some goons are on top of every vintage game sale within minutes of it posting.

Yep. I'm pretty sure two of the guys live on SA-Mart. But let's not start cannibalising each other.

I'll always offer stuff in here before selling.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I'll probably do a write up on this topic soon.

In other news, I won a sketch from Chrissie Zullo which has got several of my nerd friend excited. I have no idea what to ask for and I'm thinking something retro gaming related. Any ideas? She seems to be good at drawing ~ladies~

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
We can all make profiles on http://gametz.com/ and stop this overengineering!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Peachstapler posted:

She can render a stylized female form quite well, so Samus is an obvious choice

zenintrude posted:

I was about to say, "She looks like she could do a pretty good Samus."

Samus is a pretty obvious choice. Sega doesn't really have many smoking hot mascots (I LOVE YOU BLAZE). I've sent the request, now we just sit back and wait :)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

triplexpac posted:

Is there any reason why SNES games on Half.com seem so cheap? There are a few games for like .75 that go for $5+ on ebay.

How are you getting it to ship to Canada?!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Thanks to a rather awesome goon I received an Everdrive MD. What games should I be throwing on here (non released stuff)?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Was it me? Was I the awesome goon? (Sorry I forgot who I sent a free Everdrive MD to :shobon: )

If you are a Sonic fan, I really recommend you try out prototypes of Sonic games. They are great fun if you remember the games fairly well.

I'm sorry sir, you are not the only awesome goon :(

I own all the released Sonic games, so I'll give them a shot.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Mental Midget posted:

This is what my next order of NES games is looking like - I'm curious if you guys could have a look and let me know if anything sticks out as being too overpriced or not worthwhile to order - disclaimer: Jeopardy is for the wife. I'm trying to keep it just over $50 because it's free shipping.

http://www.jjgames.com/cart/remove_purchases?purchaseid=843776

We can't see your shopping cart. Screenshot or GTFO.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I totally forgot I ordered this thing! Anyone else do it?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

ZackHoagie posted:

Let's give a hand to Garage Sales, folks.

You can make that picture as blurry as you want, I can still see what the games are. :yosbutt:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
SARGSS Post!

Sorry for the lack of posting, but I'm currently travelling on business. Luckily Elfster automates all the drawing so people should now have their gift exchange partners!!

Use the website to talk anonymously with your partner and find out what they would love from Santa's bulging sack!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Just posting to say that my SARGSSee is going to be super loving pleased. You lucky bastard!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Bro shipping a Killer Instinct arcade cab to my house? I mean that's really goddamn sweet of you but TOTALLY not expected.

Ever heard of a Trojan horse? I'm sure I can squeeze into it and steal all your poo poo!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

zenintrude posted:

Ordered my Santee their gifts, now to wait for them to arrive... may have overpaid a bit for things, but that's the rub when you're looking to get stuff in a time crunch.

[edit] Also, can I suggest that next time we don't use Elfster or don't encourage making request lists? At least for me, it feels like I'm going to disappoint someone if I don't get them things off of their wish list... I'd much rather people compile collection lists and we can use our retro knowledge to break them down and gift them things that they may not have even thought they'd love based on their tastes.

From what I see, many people already have their collections listed on third party sites; but fundamentally I agree.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I don't think anyone posted this yet. I remember someone remarking on how marketing teams are still latching onto 8-bit and 16-bit. Well, here is a step towards the 32 bit era.

http://www.skrillexquest.com/

The idea is fundamentally 8-bit, but the execution is not.

I can't believe I just wrote that...

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

cosmicjim posted:

You should check out the "hyperspin project" to see a great emulator/rom set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GPyX80Pk8

Not sure how small you can make your machine to run EVERYTHING, but you can add/remove whichever systems you want to from hyperspin.

As someone about to downsize to a 600sq foot place, I think I need this.

I guess the collection is going into storage! :/

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
So it's settled. I'll give $100 to someone that can give me it fully working with no bullshit!

...I have a low bullshit threshold. That's why I can't get behind all this jail-bar rear end fuckery. I appreciate the hard work, but I just don't have time.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

univbee posted:

Oh how I wish it were that simple. Hyperspin is also unique in that it doesn't really have a one-size-fits-all configuration; it's pretty much designed to be a timesink that you tinker with, like model trains. Not to mention no standard controls. All of its ROM databases are US-centric, too, and the European and Japanese databases are essentially non-existant. So any non-US commercial game you want to add is something you have to rig together, make clipart/gameplay videos for...

Yeah. My life doesn't really allow for that poo poo right now. Maybe in Febuary when the snow is still here and poo poo calms down :)

Till then I have my Genesis and EverDrive.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Has anyone gotten their gift yet, or sent their stuff off?

I'm sending out tomorrow. I really wanted to make a big deal out of it, but it turns out that the SARGSSee already had most of the games to make it a reality.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Katana Gomai posted:

I'll send my gift out when the last items arrive this week, but I am starting to think that I am the only guy here who followed the $50 rule. I picked up cool stuff but some of you make it seem like you're shipping out stuff worth hundreds of dollars and I am worried I'll disappoint my santee now. :(

poo poo son. You mean my "Still Sealed NHL '95" isn't good enough?!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Katana Gomai posted:

It's the same for me, although I wouldn't exactly describe it as "scads", more like bits and pieces I am throwing on top. It just seemed to me that some people are going overboard.

I think because it's the first one and we are a pretty friendly little community on here. To the point where I'm considering the possibility of a get together some time next year.

I honestly would not worry. I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to get butt hurt because "I SENT $80 WORTH OF STUFF* AND ONLY GOT $40 IN RETURN". It's not the spirit.

That said, if someone sends a box of utterly worthless tat they will be spending another :10bux: come January.

midge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 4, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Technowrite posted:

HyperSpin is a loving nightmare, but I always recommend it to people who have OCD when it comes to game collecting so they'll suffer as I did when I put my setup together.

I'm 2/2 so far.

Is there a way to just install just Genesis and SNES? That way you won't be tempted to Pokemon the drat thing? I would assume the romsets and artwork are final for those in terms of US releases?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Technowrite posted:

That's the problem. You start out with just SNES and Genesis, but then you start seeing other setups with MAME, Neo Geo, and even Virtual Boy. By then, it's too late and you have begun to download Channel F ROMs.

But yeah, you can make it just for Genesis and SNES. You can add or remove as many consoles as you want.

EDIT: This guy made an NES PC with HyperSpin and just NES ROMs. It's a sample of how precise the software can be to suit your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9J9r1x0bs

I can see a bunch of value in having a setup like the "Steambox" posted earlier, that also serves as a Hyperspin and HTPC. That's a ton of saved space in a small apartment and a ton of functionality.

Edit : Jesus christ it looks beautiful. I feel like I'd spent 80 man hours getting it all working then the rest of my days just browsing around ala Netflix syndrome.

midge fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 4, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I just got a Nexus 7. Hit me with retro gaming goodness that I can cram on this in the next few hours!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Code Jockey posted:

And like I asked before, do we still need to do this if we signed our gift and evidence is posted here? I sent two things via USPS at the same time and I am hella dumb and can't tell which tracking number is which :downs:

ninja: actually according to the tracking site they're both at their destination city so I guess I can tell now! But again if it gets delivered and posted here do I still need to?

This is what is going happen.

1) I will be checking the list and asking people to tell me if they didn't get their package

2) I will take that list and compare it against my records to see which Santa's are having a problem. I can see who is matched with who.

3) we try to resolve it using proof of postage, and etc. If I feel like a guy has not performed ill provide the case to the administration and its ban time.

I am still on vacation, but I'll be checking everything out in preparation for step one when I get home.

My SARGSSee still hasn't received mine it seems....

E

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Thanks a ton, Midge, both for the awesome gift and setting this all up! :neckbeard: Can't wait 'till next year!

Yay! I was pretty stuck on what to get you. I had a whole plan of presenting someone "Christmas 1989" with some chart music from the year and all the starting line up of games for Genesis, but you had too many of them for it to be worth while.

I'm glad I could get a bunch of stuff together that you actually wanted. It's a nice bunch of games and SMS stuff is getting much harder to find.

SARGSS general post. If you have not posted yet you need to get poo poo together and pay out of the rear end for fast postage

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

hitze posted:

Would I be able to see it on composite hooked up to an lcd tv?

As much as I want to stop typical SA sub forum elitist behaviour; you've not been here long have you? He's going to have a heart attack

In regards to the $50 SARGSS limit, it's really there as a guideline to stop people getting screwed. It's Christmas, people will go overboard more so in such a tight little thread. I wouldn't have started it if I expected anything less.

My package cost $25 to ship plus packing/wrapping. There is no way I was about to send $25 worth of stuff.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Thank you Safari Disco Lion!

-------

At this point has anyone NOT received their gift?

If you have not shipped at this point you MUST ship tomorrow to avoid being a deadbeat rear end in a top hat.

midge fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 20, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

fatpat268 posted:

Blue Magic was pulling black grime off. It's made every problem game I've had work 100% of the time.

Cue over analysis of how the chemicals used will degrade the contacts over the course of 50 - 75 years (depending on the method used to apply it).

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
So, anyone STILL not got their Secret Santa gift?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

ultimateforce posted:

UPDATE: Contacted someone locally with an Initial D ver. 3 twin machine. I am going to go look at it next week if he still has it. This is all going very smoothly. His asking price is $200 over my budget but he might come down some.

If it fully works with no control issues you should take it. $200 is nothing compared to the cost of repairing those loving machines.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

RagingHematoma posted:

Why is the screen a large black ball right out of Event Horizon?

I think the game is projected onto it and scrolls around like a globe.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Just a heads up. Retro City Rampage is free right now for Playstation Plus members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Speed runs of Castlevania and Contra to a live band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a785fvQQkog

Why am I not there?

• Locked thread