Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
It looks good, though I'd take stuff out of quote tags. In five years or whenever we end up with another thread, it'll be much easier for somebody to just quote the original post to get the content and then update it than to start from scratch. The forums don't return content in quote tags when quoted, though.

Anyway, that's a really good OP. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Speaking of video sperging, for those consoles which can't output RGB, S-video, or even composite, there's the Micomsoft DISPL TV. It upscales RF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYbyV7Ao4HA

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ineffiable posted:

All I've heard is that it is beautiful pixel work, but the game is grindy as all hell (on the level of RPGS from that era, like Phantasy Star) and it is sort of a right pain in the butt to progress through the game.

This is patently false. It's significantly grindier than RPGs from that era. Seriously, don't waste your time.

ACID POLICE posted:

Untrue - I ordered a SD2SNES from Retrogate with the fancy universal case, which fits both my US model 1 SNES and Japanese SFC Jr. (still on its way though).

All USA systems take the larger, square cartridges. The smaller cartridges you're thinking of are PAL/Japan cartridges. But you usually get the SD2SNES as the bare board itself, and you can replace the board in any cart you want with it.

My deluxe edition from SAG in a universal shell doesn't fit in my SNES Jr. It's why I bought an SFC (and it's even a bit snug in there). It's just too thick.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SassyRobot posted:

Auuugh, this sort of thing would be almost perfect for my old-rear end systems, especially once my current LCD TV dies and I lose the 'legacy' inputs :gonk:... the price, though. If it can output component and I could get verification that it could recognize input from the 2600 or Oddy 2 it'd be easier to justify :(.

This thing from eBay seems similar in function but I'm not sure. I get confused pretty easily.

I need to find a new containment solution for my 2600 games. Three shelf spaces that are three cartridges wide isn't cutting it anymore. I need a way to stack the buggers but they're such an odd height.

There is one downside I forgot to mention: Japan's RF frequencies barely overlap with the US's and don't overlap at all with Europe's. Channel 1 in Japan is something like channel 96 in the US. So, it'd probably not be possible to run US or European consoles on that thing with RF.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Erluk posted:

Today I got my package containing Super R-Type and opened it up to see this:

It was only five dollars with shipping, so I'm not too upset. It's a little more of a bummer since I could tell that it was in really good condition before breaking, but :shrug:

So remember kids: put your games in good packaging!

Ninja edit: That picture doesn't really do it justice because the front part is cracked and poo poo.

Yeah, that could definitely have been worse. Speaking from experience here. :smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

OSI bean dip posted:

http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/thingsyoucanteverhave.html

Ran across this while doing my searches. This is crazy.

Huh. I picked up one of those Chrono Cross clocks years ago for something like $10. I never realized it was actually a limited thing.

Edit: Preorders for the English version of that Zelda history book are under $20 on Amazon right now.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 11, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Uncle Jenkins posted:

What's that between the NES and Sega Genesis? Consolized Neo Geo MVS?

Probably. That looks like a consolized MV1C.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So I dug up my old SNES but the controller doesn't work. I took it apart to look inside and this thing flew out of it and landed on the floor. Any idea what it is? I can't see where it should have gone.

e: Poop, it goes in the pivot for the shoulder buttons, doesn't it? That means there's one missing now. :(

Assuming that's not Bigfoot in your photo there, it looks like it's probably a pin for the shoulder buttons, yeah.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I believe someone higher up the page mentioned the PS2 could do SCART. I think the N64 can as well? Or was that someone's modding project?

The N64 can do RGB, but you need to track down an early revision and mod it. doujindance (the PC Engine eBay guy) occasionally sells RGB N64s, which is the route I went.

The PS2 can do RGB, too, but if I'm remembering right it puts out a better picture over component (higher resolution, I think).

As far as other stuff to hook up, it can be kind of a pain. Here's what I've got running over RGB right now along with a rating from one pile of flaming money (not too expensive) to five (why did I do this):

Famicom (or an NES would work, but it needs to be modded in either case) :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:
SNES Jr. (modded) :retrogames: :retrogames:
SFC :retrogames: :retrogames:
Genesis/Sega CD/32X :retrogames:
PC Engine Duo R (modded) :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:
Neo Geo :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:
N64 (modded) :retrogames:

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 14, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
As far as Top Gear 3000 goes, do you have the DSP4 dump on your SD card? It doesn't come with the firmware ZIP, so you need to track it down yourself. For your other game, the SPC7110 isn't supported yet and that game is specifically listed on the incompatibility list.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Anybody have a spare $45k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Tengen-Tetris-Prototype-Licensed-by-Nintendo-ONE-OF-A-KIND-/251158721996

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Katana Gomai posted:

I wonder how long it'll take until there is (more of) a market in making counterfeit sealed games and selling them to people who won't open them. If you could manage to create a believable Earthbound box and get it rated, even a manifacturing price of like $500 would be less than half of what it would fetch I bet. No one is who buys these ever opens them.

I fully expect this goes on pretty regularly these days. The people who buy VGA games aren't buying them to play and I doubt the grading folks give too much of a poo poo about accuracy, given that people can send the same game in multiple times and receive vastly different grades. Sounds like the perfect market to start duping collectors in.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody have experience hooking an MT-32 up to a modern computer? I'm tempted to pick one up given how cheap they are, but I don't know whether I'd actually be able to use it without digging out one of my old computers.

I swear this real hardware thing is a never-ending journey.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just need this and this. Both are what I use and work.

Works just fine in Windows 7 when used with DosBox and a x68000 emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d2NoXFrpzY

Edit: Oh yeah, there are revisions of the MT-32 that also have just a basic 3.5mm output jack so you could also use a male to male 3.5mm stereo audio cable instead of the 3.5mm to 1/4 phono jacks.

Oh, awesome. That's significantly easier than I was expecting. Now I just need to decide which model of MT-32 to buy. Thanks!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Why hello there.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Code Jockey posted:

Niiiiice. Jealous! How much did it set you back? I forget if you mentioned.

Well, I honestly could have gotten one for less if I'd been willing to keep an eye out, but I couldn't pass this up since it was basically brand new in the box with everything. The MIDI cable is even still sealed. But, to actually answer your question, it was right around $120, which is what most people seem to be selling them for without all the extras. So, even though I could have paid less, I'm still OK with the price.

ACID POLICE posted:

Make some good recordings of it, if you have hardware to do so! I've been wanting one just to mess with a MT-32 compatible tracker even though it's, at heart, a watered down Roland D-50

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything other than the crappy analog in lines on my computers. They're good enough for playing games with, but recording them is kinda iffy. I did record the opening to KQ4, though, which turned out pretty well for what I have available at the moment (that being my laptop and Windows Sound Recorder, which apparently only writes out WMA files now).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zeether posted:

Most of these were ported by Dempa, who also did the X68000 port.

Huh. I looked into Dempa since I'd never heard of them expecting to see they were a Japan-only porting company or something and, well, they pretty much were but they were apparently also a division of Micomsoft (of XRGB fame). I had no idea they'd done software work in the past.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Orange Mage posted:

Also it's worth it to play through all of S3&K twice; once as Sonic and again as Knuckles. Then get all-emerald save files for all four possible character sets. Yes, even for Tails. :shepface:

Been there. Done that. :smug:

Though, to be fair, Super Tails' flock of invincible homing birds is actually really handy.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Because not everyone has the space for three consoles, and if you're just getting into retro game collecting, one of the combination clone consoles is probably cheaper than a NES/SNES/Genesis. Hell I've been tempted by one because I barely have space for the ones I have, and I'm already having to constantly switch out TV and power cords.

Honestly, I'd say that if you're thinking about a clone, you'd probably actually be better served by using high-accuracy emulators (and a Retrode if you want to use carts and original controllers) since most of the ones that I'm aware of blow the clone systems out of the water.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ineffiable posted:

There are actually quite a few games clone systems can't play.

Castlevania 3. Super Mario RPG. Star Fox. it goes on and on.

Yep, and good emulators will play all of those just fine. If somebody's not sure about getting into retro gaming, it'd be a much better experience than trying to figure out why some games don't work on a clone.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like that Shaddowgate Kickstarter is gonna make it, but it's a long way off from making any of its stretch goals. There's under a day left, so if anybody's been thinking about pledging, now's the time.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
A really lovely power supply could possibly do that. It's a little pricey, but I use this with my Framemeister and it puts out very clean power.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Awesomonster posted:

I've been working on getting stuff together for my giftee, I am the worst about secret santas because I just want to send tons of gifts. I have some good things, but I keep going "is it enough? Maybe I should add more...I'm gonna add more." I'm trying not to go overboard, though :ohdear:

I do the same thing. I think I probably got the right amount of stuff, but I keep feeling like I should add on maybe one more thing. And I know that feeling's not going to go away no matter how much I put in the box.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/203257-nes-super-8-project/ + http://universalppu.com/?page_id=10 is gonna be awesome.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

and these fpga things can recreate the rgb ppu perfectly?

FPGA stands for Field-Programmable Gate Array. Basically, it's a set of logic components that can be programmed to link together however you want. This lets somebody, for instance, design a CPU in a hardware description language, push it to an FPGA, and then run code on it (I've done this). The main limitations are the number of gates available in your FPGA and potentially unpredictable timing delays, however given that we're talking about emulating the behavior of a 30-year-old IC, I don't think either of those things is going to be a problem. So, as long as the implementation is correct, it should work the same as an original PPU.

It's also worth noting that the SD2SNES uses an FPGA for support for enhancement chips and is why support for new ones can be added via firmware updates.

Risky posted:

I have a question regarding the different chipsets in the SNES from the OP. I'm actually looking to buy a Super Famicom and was wondering if the chips were all different in Japan as well or what should I look for to get the best possible chipset system?

There are at least three 1CHIP revisions of the SFC. Try to get a 1CHIP-01 or a 1CHIP-02. I don't know of anybody else with a 1CHIP-03, but mine doesn't have RGB out for some reason.

Edit: If you're feeling lucky, this may be a 1CHIP-01. I'm guessing it's probably an APU-01 instead, though.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 28, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Antillese posted:

If you've done this you should tell people that it actually stands for "field-programmable gate array". :eng101:

:doh: That's what I get for not paying attention. The first time I was introduced to FPGAs, I was told the wrong de-acronymization and it's stuck unless I think about it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

fatpat268 posted:

*welp* I finally did. Ordered the xrgb mini

Now I just need to reconfigure my scart to rgb-21.

Buy this instead. JP21 cables are much more of a pain in the rear end to find than SCART cables and it'd be annoying to have to mod every cable you buy.

So, how many of us does this make now? There's me, Hamburglar, now fatpat268, and I could swear there were a couple other people in the thread with XRGB minis.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

usedpizza posted:

Anyone have any experience with the EverDrive 64? Looks promising as hell and I might jump on it.

I have one. It works great, though due to some CIC version differences, you won't be able to play every game (this is true of any N64 flash cart you can buy right now). Get one with a 6102 CIC if you have an NTSC system or a 7101 if you have a PAL system for the widest compatibility.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Oh hey, another game I really liked. I think I may be broken because I love all the NES games with the cryptic and sometimes misleading NPC dialogue. Yes, I also liked Castlevania 2, Rygar, Fester's Quest, and Battle of Olympus.:colbert:

Wait. There are people who don't like Battle of Olympus? That game was awesome.

Technowrite posted:

Best Zeldas List (This list supercedes any and all lists posted in this thread):

1. Link to the Past.
|
*snip*
|
Everything else.

This is pretty much correct.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Discount Viscount posted:

Majora's Mask is the only 3D game that dumps you right in the middle of an urgent situation from the start.

Majora's Mask is also the only 3D game that requires you to do the same things over and over and over and over and over and over again either because you like exploring or for some sort of event sequence. If it weren't for that, I'd like the game.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You actually don't. There's only two things you really have to repeat tasks for and they're both for sidequests (Specifically the Razor Sword and the Marriage quest). One is the Snowhead bossfight (so you can win the Gold Dust in the Goron Race), and the other is the robbery on the First Night.

edit: Oh wait, there is actually one you have to retread a few days worth of stuff for - The Postman's Cap You get a letter for the Mayor's wife on the last day and you have two different people it can go to. Giving it to the Postman means she'll see he's still around and tell him he can flee.

Aside from those, there's no reason why each 3-Day cycle isn't spent doing something different (especially with the inverted Song of Time).

If you know exactly what you're doing and where things are, sure. If you don't, it's a huge exercise in frustration to have to wind back time and then re-kill bosses or re-do events so you can keep exploring what you were exploring before. It's really irritating that the game actively penalizes people for not using a walkthrough.

the_lion posted:

I only see one mention of CD-I Zelda in this thread, but every time i see those cutscenes i laugh. It's right up there with "Excuse me princess!" in how bad/hilarious it is.

As bad as the cutscenes are, the gameplay is worse. Imagine controls as stiff as Castlevania 1's on (rather gorgeous, I'll admit) backgrounds that aren't always clear regarding details like just how far platforms extend over pits.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

univbee posted:

Well, this guy has ludicrous amount of money.

Does daisy chaining upscalers like this actually have some sort of non-placebo effect, or is this just straight "PSX-1001 is the best CD Player"-level madness?

EDIT retro_console_accessories doesn't ship outside of the U.S. Looks like it's forever composite/s-video for me. :negative:

Try this guy. I've gotten a couple cables from him when Retro Access didn't have them and they work great. He says he ships globally, too.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I think I saw somebody trying to get ahold of doujindance to get a Duo R. If I'm not completely off my rocker, and if whoever it is is still interested, it looks like he has one up now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-R-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens/200859865521

It even comes with the good 6-button pad.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Island Nation posted:

Has anyone had any problems with flash carts getting delivered? Ukraine's postal service said they shipped out a cart I ordered a week ago but the USPS still thinks they are still preparing the order.

It's probably gonna say that until it hits customs. If the Ukrainian postal system has a tracker, try that until then.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

madpanda posted:

Look at Mr Fancy with his wrapping paper. I was considering it but I filled a large flat rate box pretty much to the brim. Don't think I could have crammed wrapping in as well.

Yeah, I'm not gonna wrap my Santee's stuff either (the last thing I ordered should be getting here any day), but now I feel like a shitbag for not. :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I finally had a chance to pick up my SARGSS package from my apartment's leasing office. Let's see what's inside!

Thanks, HKR!

:stare: I . . . had no idea they made My Little Pony wrapping paper.

Let's see here. Blazing Lazers, which is supposed to be a pretty good shooter. Cool. That should be fun. And a mystery N64 game! And . . . Duck Hunt. And an Eye Toy? OK, I guess that might be considered retro to some people. Let's open it up and take a look at it.

Oooh. The Legendary Axe! That's supposed to be a really good platformer.

Thanks so much, HKR! You're awesome!

Oh, right. I should check out that mysterious N64 cart and see what it . . .

Well, I guess I have something to prank people with now.

This is probably the best secret Santa thing I've ever participated in. Hopefully my SARGSSee ends up feeling the same way. :ohdear:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

Wait, what? Let's see how much these things co:stare:

edit: Can someone tell me more about these things? How much of an improvement are we talking about relative to plugging a system directly into an HDTV via composite and/or s-video? Are there any recommended brands or models?

edit2: Hmm maybe I'll give this one a shot sometime. The fact that its price is so much lower than the other boxes gives me pause, but it has good reviews. The built-in scaling on my current HDTV is reeeeaalllly bad (when I use the NES, it makes some pixels look like figure eights, and there's no game mode), so it's worth a shot.

I've been a huge advocate of this one for about a year now. It's hands-down the best one out there for 240p gaming right now (which is 99% of what people are going to care about) and a bunch of us in the thread have them. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth every penny if you want the absolute best available video quality out of your old systems.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

hitze posted:

Finally got my gamebits to open the super famicom I bought.

SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02 :cool:

What's the serial number on that? That's the one 1CHIP SFC model I'm missing.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

univbee posted:

Neo Geo X

Ugh. I'm glad I decided not to preorder, then. I guess I'll stick with my CMVS.

Edit: I totally missed this:

Keyboard Kid posted:

On this topic, I don't know anything about RGB but S-video on my 2chip looks nicer than my 1chip consoles. If there's serious interest in what serial numbers correspond to what chips in the Super Famicom, I might be able to help out.

I'd be interested.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Agrias120 posted:

GET EQUIPPED WITH: FEDEX BOX

What's this? Some sort of ancient script. I seem to remember my teachers in elementary school telling me about the lost art of "cursive." Maybe I can remember enough to decipher to truly retro letter:

code:
PACKING LIST:

1x: Remake of a last-ditch effort to stave off bankruptcy

1x: Remake of a game with an annoying leveling system

1x: Remake ofa game that sends you back to level 1

1x: Failed cash-in attempt that sold under 200 copies worldwide

1x: Depiction of Megaman and Crashman (or Clashman...)

Happy Holidays!	

-Kreeblah

Wait! There's more? The letter WASN'T THE RETRO GIFT!? Holy moly, Kreeblah you are SO AWESOME.

Final Fantasy 1,2 and 4 for the Wonderswan! They arrived JUST IN TIME! My girlfriend and I are exchanging gifts tomorrow evening and I just happen to have insider info that she is getting me a Wonderswan Color! And Final Fantasy 4 is my favorite in the series--and I love 1 and 2 because of their quirkiness. And all of them are CIB, too! :neckbeard:

How did you also know that I am a total geek over Perler Bead art?! AND I LOVE MEGAMAN (Crashman's stage haunted my dreams as a child :argh:)! This is going to be proudly displayed on my desk at work and anyone who doesn't know what it is doesn't get the designs they want from me.

I've never heard of Uncle Henry's Playhouse before, but your quip about it being a collosal failure has me very intrigued. Not to mention it's still factory shrinkwrapped. This is going to go on my gaming hall of fame shelf, it'll make for an awesome discussion piece. It's also reminded me that I've never played any of the games it has taken puzzles from, so I will have to do that this Winter.

Thanks again! You totally made my weekend!

Awesome! I'm glad you liked everything. I saw you had the Wonderswan Final Fantasies on your wishlist, so those seemed a safe bet. I wasn't sure about the Megaman thing or Uncle Henry's Playhouse, though, but I figured why not. :)

• Locked thread