Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Very nice OP!

So anyway earlier this year I embarked on a quest to collect every single NES Zapper game, and much like any NES collector would tell you, most of them are easy to find but the last few are gently caress hard and expensive. There are 17 released in America that I know of, and about half of them just required a trip up to a local second-hand book/game/music store. Wild Gunman is the priciest licensed game at a grand total of $15 on eBay, but I found it and a few other uncommons at a convention for $6. Also, four of the Zapper games are black label games, too, which I also casually collect because they look nice.

The real motherfuckers are a couple of unlicensed games named Baby Boomer and Chiller. Last I checked, their eBay prices were $40 and $80 respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

JJJJJS posted:

Genesisssss, Genesi, whatever!

You're missing the Genesis 3 :unsmigghh:

And the AtGames Genesis that's being sold right now if that counts

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Vrikkian posted:

Out of curiosity, how many unfinished/unplayed games do you all own... or would you rather not say? :)

With how many games, new and old, are sold for like $5 and under, it's hard to not just treat them like rentals. I've played almost every game I own for at least 15 minutes, but I've not completed at least 95% of them. And I can probably count the number of games I've 100%ed on one hand. gently caress backlogs, I don't have time to try and clear every game I own or else I'd never, ever be able to do anything else with my life.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Vaerai Archon posted:

If Star Fox 2 is in mostly or all in Japanese then it's probably not going to happen for North America or the UK. There's a laundry list of games that the Japanese VC has that those regions will never get because they don't want to translate so much as a single word(really some of these games just need the title screen translated and that would be it).

Or they could just be like Sony and have an imports section for Japanese games. There are a handful of PS1 games sold on PSN without translation, and they even include the instruction booklets - still just in Japanese. While it'd be nice of them to add a little translation cheat sheet in the manual, it works fine. Nintendo should just do that and rake in the piles of easy money.

I've been playing Megaman Rockman 2 and 4 on PS Vita and I'm having more fun with them than any of my other Vita games. Why yes I do like to buy expensive new hardware to play games almost as old as I am thank you very much

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

MediumWellDone posted:

This is a cool thread. I too enjoy retro games, here is a photo of my meagre collection.

That's from a few years ago since then I've added a Mega Drive with Action 52 :shepface:. The SNES with the UFO has a 50/60 hertz switch and the region check disabled, but otherwise nothing is modded.
I also had a Master System and a massive collection of games gifted to me, but on my last visit back to Australia the guy who gave it to me asked for it back. He gave it to me on the condition that I used it and so I can't blame him him for wanting it back as I've been living in Japan for the last 3 years. But I also gave him a few titles I had picked up myself and I'm kicking myself about that. The Master System is my favourite console and I'll be happy to do a bit of a write up, though I don't know everything about it.

More recently this thread has me been toying with idea of picking up a PC Engine even though I don't have a TV at my place. The local game shops PC Engine Duo R's for about ¥15,000 and PC Engine CoreGrafx II's for ¥22,000, does this seem about right? I also found a Laser Active with both the PC Engine and MD pacs for ¥26,000.

All those Japanese SNES games, and your only American one is NHL '96 of all things? Still, very nice collection, and I wanna point out that you've got the box for Shadowrun on SFC with its super 90's badical box art. Which I wanna find someday.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

How do Retro games look on the Vita? I want to say great because of the OLED screen. But then I think it might be terrible because of the screen being so high Res. Your thoughts?

I really hope that system gets hacked for homebrew. I've heard it's pretty much impossible though.

I'm actually pretty sure they're just running in the PSP emulator. On the PSP, there was an "Original" screen size mode where the game would just be displayed in a small box for a 1:1 pixel ratio. Vita has an "original" mode, but it just looks like that with 4x the pixels. It's not blurred or anything, it looks quite nice and runs very well with no apparent lag. And yeah, that OLED screen at 220-something PPI is pimp rear end for everything. It looks much better than just running ROMs through my iPhone. Also, it's emulation within emulation :v:

As for homebrew hacks, the current state of it is random PSP games from PSN getting exploited and homebrew loaders being executed through said games. But that's PSP mode only, which is fine for everything up to PSOne (plus Game Boy Advance, The Lord's System™). So it's happening, in one form at least.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 13, 2012

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

If I am not mistaken, PS1 games play in 100% hardware on the PS3. No emulation going on.

If you got a US or Japan 60GB PS3, the same is for the PS2.

I myself just scored my second launch 60GB PS3. I got it with 2 Move remotes, 1 navigation Move remote, an extra controller, some huge machine gun looking thing, and 2 games (that came with the Move bundle) as well as the Move camera for $320. I think I made out pretty good, especially since I wanted all that Move stuff anyway (so I can finally play some drat shooting games on my plasma).
Very nice deal! The bigass machine gun thing is the Sharpshooter, it works well for rail shooters but the navigation controller couldn't have been in a more uncomfortable position. Also, House of the Dead 3 and 4 are great ports that work very well as lightgun shooters with the move. Time Crisis Razing Storm? Not so much, unless you get it for cheap.

Oh wow; how do PS1 games look on it? How about SNES?

PSOne games look good too, but I can't comment on SNES because I've never actually run homebrew on my Vita. The issue is that when a game's exploited, it tends to be some obscure game nobody's ever heard of and you have about 48 hours from the announcement to buy the game before it's pulled. The last one cost $10, and I wasn't about to drop $10 on some random game for homebrew access until the next Vita update comes out.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Video Power once mentioned that a kid won a SNES with Super Mario Bros. 4, leading me to believe there was a fourth Mario game that the USA didn't get until I searched for it on the internet years later. :(

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

i am a man that makes purchasing decisions, sometimes

:smuggo:

That was in my bedroom 7 years ago, when it was new and getting rare. I drove all around the state looking for them and ended up with a metric shitload to sell. Also I threw out that Family Guy poster because gently caress family guy

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

al-azad posted:

I wouldn't have anything bad to say about clones if most of them weren't literally more expensive than the console in question and are rarely any smaller. I'm the type of guy who will take a hit to quality for a significantly smaller unit but it's not usually the case.

On the inverse, I actually bought a Yobo FC Game Console (NES support only) for $15 at a local used media shop because it was small as poo poo, cheap and LOOKED like it would be compatible with real controllers. Tuns out it isn't really and takes a lot of wiggling around to get them to work right, especially with Zappers which is what I bought it for in the first place. It's not even worth the effort. The controllers it came with fit and work fine, but they're poorly designed and stress your thumbs after a few minutes. Also the colors aren't right (reds seem more dominant than any other colors), but at least it works. You get what you pay for.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

I've started rebuilding my Wii collection (getting a WiiU) so heads-up if you're doing the same or consider Wii to be retro now: People are selling their Wii collections for hella cheap. I am regularly seeing whole consoles with like 6 AAA games and other junk for 100€ or less on our Craigslist, going to start buying these, picking a few games I like and reselling the rest on Amazon et al. Wiis aren't in high demand anymore but the consoles still fetch 40-50€ and the rest sells as well as ever.
Hey, good idea. I wonder if that means I can grab Xenoblade and The Last Story for cheap(er) now :getin: :unsmigghh:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Well, I walked into a local used game store today, saw it, and bought it on the spot.

Still though, only $50 for the rarest Zapper game? :retrogames: :rock: :retrogames:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

El Mido posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I wholeheartedly endorse the ASCII Pad for SNES. Officially licensed by Nintendo back in the day, and I can personally attest that it's just as good as a stock SNES pad if you get one in good condition. But wait, there's more! Let's see:

-PAL coloured buttons!
-Angled shoulder buttons!
-Independent turbo switches for A/B/X/Y/L/R with turbo and auto-turbo!
-Slow-motion technology*! (a turbo for the start button)
-An eight(!) foot cord!

Remember this was the king of SNES pads back in the day, so why would you settle for anything less than the best today? :colbert:

I had one of those as a kid and it stopped working pretty quickly. It feels kind of cheap and crappy, too.

Here's the real best controller on SNES:

:colbert: That's right. It feels solid and can take a beating, has a little weight to it, and even looks much better than the ASCII Pad.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Erluk posted:

Also, this happened:

I played through Earthbound on my modded Xbox years ago, and attempted to get the Sword of Kings to drop. So I throttled through, auto-battling everything and managed to get Ness to 99 still without a drop. That took a really, really long time even with the speedup, and I just gave up because Ness was 99 so the rest of the game would be mindlessly simple :cry:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

univbee posted:

No, unfortuantely. There are three categories of PSP-compatible titles, each with their own matrix of what they will and won't work on:

PSP UMDs - These are the physical discs in the sort of white caddies, and require a PSP that isn't a PSP Go or PS Vita. The only English-released worthwhile game I can think of off the top of my head that isn't available as a PSN Download is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy.
PSN Mini - These are download-only games and are both very cheap (usually a few bucks on PSN, I think $10 max), and very small (they have a 100 meg game size limit). These will work on a PSP, a PS Vita, AND a PS3. There aren't any noteworthy games I'm aware of, they're common as freebies with a PlayStation Plus account.
PSN Downloadable full PSP games - These are download versions of games available on UMD. These will work on a PSP Go as well as a PS Vita (usually, there are Vita-incompatible exceptions), but will not run on a PS3, although they can be downloaded with a PS3 and transferred to a PSP from there.

Lumines and Mega Man Powered Up aren't available as downloads either. Lumines I can understand because of licensing issues, but there's a demo of Powered Up within Maverick Hunter X that works just fine, so that's just Capcom being dumb. Also DJ Max Fever used to be available but isn't now for no good reason, I guess Pentavision are just being a bunch of :hitler:s.

PSP was my favorite 7th generation system because of really groovy, unique little games like Lumines and DJ Max. Original GTA3-era games and all of the emulation prospects really helped it out, too. And now I'm really into my Vita because of its large number of older games with all of the DLC and more that just look beautiful on the machine. I've played MGS3, Disgaea 3, Mortal Kombat 9 and Persona 4 for the first time on the Vita.

Anyway I came here to talk about finding this You Don't Know Jack bundle at Goodwill today for $2.25:

And it is pretty neat but hey I love that ol' PSP.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

RadicalR posted:

The only FF I've played is FF1 and FF7.

Does this make me a very bad person? :ohdear:

Well, at least you haven't stumbled into the absolute minefield that is Final Fantasy.

-Give 4, 6, and Tactics a whirl, they're some of the best games ever made - scratch that, Final Fantasy 6 IS the best game ever made. Also, play the GBA or PSP versions of the retro Final Fantasy games if you're interested in better translations and extra post-game content.
-Theatrhythm, 5, 10 and 12 might be enjoyable to you, who knows, and you can probably safely write everything else off as a turd
-Everyone who seems to really like 8 doesn't like 9, and everyone who likes 9 didn't like 8. I'm in the FF9 camp
-I like Mystic Quest personally due to my thick rose colored glasses, gently caress the haters
-This video is all you need to ever experience from Dissidia
-The Final Fantasy Legends series isn't even Final Fantasy at all, they're loving SaGa games :psyduck:
-Final Fantasy 13 is a piece of poo poo, what the gently caress is even happening in this game oh god why is there an ff13-2 oh gently caress me why is there a lightning returns ff13 gently caress this
-Square Enix doesn't "get" digital distribution which is why all their games, including FF4 on iPhone are overpriced as gently caress and FF4's the lovely DS version rather than the nice PSP version and it doesnt even come with the interlude or after years, what the gently caress
-Final Fantasy 14 is legendary for being a practically unplayable piece of poo poo, it's so bad they've canned the old team, cancelled the original version for PS3 and have pushed A Realm Reborn back to mother loving "sometime" in 2013. If ever you're up for a laugh, read about the "horsebirds" poo poo and all of the problems and massive losses S-E's had over that game
-Type 0 will never come out in America, except maybe as a rerelease on like iPhone only or something years down the line

There, now you're caught up on Final Fantasy, at least in my eyes. It's amazing how my personal favorite game (FF6) and the worst game I've ever played (FF13) are somehow in the same series.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 9, 2013

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey now, don't forget Final Fantasy Versus XIII! :v:.

Wikipedia says that poo poo started production in November 2005 and it's still not out. Today I learned Square-Enix is behind the Duke Nukem Forever of RPGs. No wonder they've been in the red for so long.

Cicero posted:

Also, Final Fantasy Adventure is really Secret of Mana 0.

Oh God don't even get me started on the Mana series. That entire line is like watching your childhood best friend grow up to drop out of college after his first semester because it's "too hard", move into a shithole apartment with his pregnant adulterous girlfriend and live a life of working part-time at Waffle House and being in a constant state of half-drunk, half-hungover on the cheapest liquor the gas station sells. The last two Mana games were a weird DS RTS from six years ago and a Japanese-only online RPG for dumbphones? And these are from the same series as Secret of loving MANA one of the BEST games on the SNES and without a doubt the most beautiful and best game of 1993? Kill me.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I hope that's just :goonsay:. Either that or you've somehow avoided playing a LOT of games.

Yeah, that's :goonsay:. But I based that "worst game ever" off of my expectations for something from the Final Fantasy line, the amount of effort put into the game, and the high budget. I felt like I was thrown into the middle of the story from the start, the characters were generic anime people molded to resemble FF7's cast, and the battles were as if someone wanted to add strategy but only a touch, so they'd still boil down to "press A a lot and heal sometimes". It just ended up feeling like a bad anime where I have to manually advance to the next scene, and not a big epic world full of adventure and exploration and weird magic collection systems like materia and espers that I expect from Final Fantasy.

I mean, yeah, I can download some lovely random freemium game on my phone or boot up something old that's notoriously bad like Superman 64, and they'll be objectively worse games. But I really don't have any expectations from them other than "haw haw look at this piece of poo poo!". When my expectations are high for a game like Final Fantasy and all I end up with is a linear, poorly told story without interesting mechanics, interesting characters, any world to explore at all, or even much of a video game, I'm gonna call it a piece of poo poo. After all, it certainly doesn't present itself like a piece of poo poo - the cover looks great, it's got a shiny foil effect going on, the 360 version is three discs long, and it even came with a costume for my Xbox avatar. It was sixty bucks too, just like every other AAA game around it. So I guess to more or less redefine what I mean, it was genuinely the most disappointing game I have ever played.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Take the long view about FF13: In 15 years when everyone's still bitching about S-E not being able to tell an engaging story, your mint CIB copy of FF13 might be worth as much as you paid for it!

Good point, I'm sure there are plenty of kids out there who had that as their first FF game and love it to pieces. I had a copy of Mega Man X7 sitting around for almost 8 years that I got on clearance, but never opened it because I heard about it being bad. I tried to flip it on eBay for what I paid (like $5?), but couldn't get it. Forgot about it until near the end of last year, ended up getting around $20 for it with several bids. I'm guessing it had been long enough for someone to play it as a kid, grow to teen years, get a crappy job and buy a sealed one. Retrogamers of the next generation!

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

AASman posted:

I want to try to like them though.

Then play what you already like! I really only play shooters, rhythm games and RPGs anymore because those are just about the only games I truly enjoy. Though if you truly want to try a SNES RPG, go for Final Fantasy VI. A ton of us here would eagerly say it's the best game ever made, and a buddy of mine who just played it for the first time last summer said it was a surreal, bizarre trip of a game. It's not too hard, doesn't overstay its welcome and doesn't really have a particularly bad part of the game at all. Go for it.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Another reason Earthbound might be tricky to non-RPG players [and it even was for me] was the Frankie fight.

That motherfucker took me like 10 times this last playthrough, even after [fast forward] grinding for a while, it was still pure luck.

Of course like we discussed before, Earthbound has a reverse scale for boss difficulty, with the first being the worst and it getting easy from there.

Did you make sure to get the Mr. Baseball Cap before you fought Frank?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Pretty sure I did? I dunno it basically seemed like a game of "oh gently caress Frank don't get a critical hit don't get a critical hit fuuuuuuck" and I finally got lucky and nailed him with a few SMAAAASHes in a row.

You do have to go a little bit out of your way to get it as it's sort of a secret, but it raises your defense by a lot which makes Frank considerably easier. From the library, find the house that's sticking out of the trees and try walking into the trees until you find the passage to the treehouse, a kid gives it to you inside.

That plus getting Ness to level 5 means Frank and his robot fall apart like wet paper.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

Heads up: Gamestop is starting to clear out their Gamecube inventory, starting with a 75% off sale that runs through the 27th on used Gamecube stuff (don't know if it includes systems). Online got picked over pretty quick but if you know a Gamestop in your area has Gamecube stuff, it's not likely to get cheaper than this (for anything worthwhile).

Not bad, maybe I'll luck out and get one of those 1024 block memory cards, seriously why'd nobody take Nintendo to task over their overpriced memory cards Wait, holy poo poo, Gamecube memory cards were just SD cards in proprietary housing? How'd I never know this before? :suicide:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

A quick :google: search found this: http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html which is just a guide on how to solder Gamecube's pins to an SD reader. Crazy poo poo!

Also, the Gamecube 251-block cards were only 2MB in capacity, and $20 as of '06. Twenty bucks for two megs, at a time when you could get like a 512MB SD card for the same price, if I remember correctly. Bullcockney, and people complain about Vita cards being overpriced. (and they are still $17 on amazon today, drat playa get up all ins with da profits)

gay skull fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 18, 2013

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

ultimateluigi987 posted:

I picked up an interesting piece of Mario history a few days ago at a Salvation Army for 99 cents. Again, 3DS camera isn't great, but...

It's a Mario puzzle! :toot: Oddly enough, it features Worlds A-1 and A-2, even though those were only in the Lost Levels and this puzzle was made in 1988.

As for Gamecube memory cards, I've got this 1019 one made by Interact that's kept the same saves for over 10 years. It came even before Nintendo's own 1019s! There's not only a space limit, but also a limit on the amount of saves, I ran into this in Tales of Symphonia because I saved on a different file every time. So, 512 MB seems like a bit of a waste.

It is genuinely impressive how there will always, always be another piece of ancient Nintendo merchandise that I never knew about. I'm sure by 2060 I'll still be seeing old Mario things that were sold in the 1980s that are new to me.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kharmakazy posted:

That thing is way too tiny to be useful for what it is designed for. Who wants to play SNES games on a 2" screen?

I actually played Chrono Trigger up to Magus' Castle on a 2" screen, on a Palm Centro:

It was pretty pimp to play SNES games on a phone at all (and have them run great) back in 2007 but I couldn't ever, ever do that again on such a wee teeny screen.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Here in Louisville, KY we have a local retro book/music/game chain that never seems to move inventory much at all. They never price games under $6 unless it's like loving NBA Live 2003 on Xbox, in which case they'll still try to get like $3 for. They have an enormous NES set and I've bought a number of games from them, because literally every common NES game they sell is priced at $6. This has just led to dumb situations where they have like 15 copies of Gyromite and Gotcha that have been sitting around for years and years and YEARS and years.

Also at one point they had a copy of Clayfighter 63 1/3rd Sculpter's Cut for $100 but it's long since been sold :gonk: But at least I got Chiller from them for $50, back in like November. :retrogames: But it's since gone up to $80, so I'm pretty happy I pulled the trigger then.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Oh, and about a year ago I embarked on a quest to collect every Zapper game for NES. I thought it'd be a fun little adventure to collect a subset of not-too-rare games, and as a result I've kept a nifty little spreadsheet. I just averaged out the prices for the last 5 carts sold of almost every Zapper game on eBay and added them to my list, so here's my neat little spreadsheet guide to Zapper games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnYA4I9uG8vxdGduc0VfVGJTTXdXeURiSjFyazl4dkE

Did you know that:

-The Lone Ranger is the most valuable, officially licensed Zapper game?
-There were two unlicensed Zapper games (that I know of) released in the NES days, and they're the most valuable by far?
-There are four black label Zapper games total?
-Zapper games were released for six years, from 1985 to 1991, but there were only 17 total? I think there were only 17 total. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 27, 2013

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Caitlin posted:

Should be played in its superior form on PC Engine. :dealwithit:

vv Hey, if you guys are gonna sit here and insist on the superiority of the Model 1 Genny, I'm going to insist on the superiority of the PC Engine instead. :buddy:

The TG16 might be awesome if only they and their games weren't absolutely and I mean absolutely impossible to find on my random Goodwill & thrift store adventures.

I even managed to find a model 1 Genesis with a model 2 Sega CD already attached with 13 games for like $24 a couple of years ago locally, and even this year I found a M2 Gen with a M2 SCD at a Goodwill, but it was the filthiest, rusted, nastiest console I've ever seen. And I still considered taking it home in a plastic bag to clean it up, but I'm sure it was a lost cause.

I don't recall ever seen anything, even a loose controller or a sports game, ever, for TG16 out in the wild. They're just not out there, and I manage to hunt down retro poo poo all the time. What the hell

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Caitlin posted:

They're out there, just not around you apparently (and obviously in smaller quantities than the rest), but most of the games are still pretty reasonable in retro pricing terms to purchase online. The card still goes for $25 which is not THAT bad for one of the more desirable games on the system.

If you're in this only to buy things cheaply you are in the wrong hobby, friendo!

I'm "that guy" at my local retro shop that buys $50 NES games occasionally when they're a relatively good deal :v: So I know about prices and things, it just seems like nobody in my city must have bought a TG16. Even the retro shops have a pretty slim collection for sale.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Star Wars Ep1 Racer owns because you can enter a code that lets you control each engine of your podracer with the analog stick of 2 N64 controllers for an authentic podracing experience.

Oh boy, the only chance I get to mention this lovely thing I have:

That is a $70 controller that had support cut for it after Windows 98. That is a $70 controller that looks about a hundred times better than it actually is. That is a $70 controller from the days when SNES emulation was new, with enough buttons to properly control SNES games (before PSX adapters were around), but worked like poo poo because of that loving tilted D-pad. Did I mention it was $70? Which as a kid is like six months worth of pay today?

Yeah, the thing that killed that Goddamn controller was the retarded D-pad that some Goddamn lunatic decided should be tilted slightly to the right. I get the whole directions of the controller going inward was supposed to be comfortable, but if you've ever touched a single controller with a left-side D-pad in your life, you'd know that's just crazy, like designing a car with the pedals flush flat on the floor because your feet are on the floor anyway, right?!

So yeah. Anyway, it had motion controls inside it (motion controls in the 90s, check that poo poo out), and I had E1 Racer on PC. So naturally being the brilliant loving engineer I was as a child, I turned it upside down and mapped the controls to reverse, and it turned out to be a really fun way to play. That's the most I ever got out of that piece of junk. Even the Wikipedia article tears that thing apart.

You know what? It was the real life version of this:

Tilted D-pad and everything. I was so glad when I found out they just went back to the Dualshock 2 controllers for PS3.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 31, 2013

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

There was a 3rd party controller that looked exactly like that for the original Playstation. Pre-dual shock era even, that's how long ago it was made.

Wow, I've never seen that one. It looks... gothy, somehow

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Tumor Baby posted:

You can just smell the years of tobacco and tar built up in that room, like going to the smoking section of Denny's in the early 90's.

Well there's a disgusting childhood memory I didn't even realize I had.

Man, if anything those pics make me so happy I don't smoke. My goon lair does end up looking kinda like that when I'm working full time and have barely any time to play games that aren't on my phone, but at least it's just soda cans and papers that are easy to pick up and not cigarette ashes and dust everywhere :barf:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

Teledildonics is my new favorite word.

Living in a smoker's home definitely wrecked some havoc on my old electronics. And the funny thing is that I never even noticed it until much later, given it was a slow, gradual buildup over years in a home with poor lighting. Then I saw a picture of the model of computer I had online, and realized it was not actually supposed to be a yellow-tan color. :gonk: I also thought it was to blame for how my SNES turned into neopolitan ice cream, but apparently that wasn't exactly an unusual thing to happen to those.

Hahaha, similiar story: My parents smoked until I was around 7 or 8, but at least they didn't do it much around me or my stuff. Still, my Link's Awakening cart must have been in the way somewhere along the line, because it yellowed quickly. For a while I wondered if Nintendo tried to make this their gold cartridge for Game Boy but did a lovely job. :v: I couldn't remember what it looked like when I got it, either, so it must have yellowed instantly.

edit: Oh, if any of you guys are in or around Louisville, KY, you should come visit the Louisville Arcade Expo on March 8-10. Old consoles, pinball, and arcade games everywhere, a merchant's room with :retrogames: opportunities all over the place, for-fun tournaments, and a shitload of streetpasses if you bring your 3DS. It's a good time. http://www.arcaderx.com/

Here are a shitload of pictures on Facebook to give you an idea of what was there last year: http://www.facebook.com/louisvilleArcade/photos_stream

gay skull fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 5, 2013

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Wait, what makes the PSX version of FF1+2 the definitive versions? I figured it'd be all GBA and PSP.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

OK so I'm looking through what Gamecube exclusives are worthwhile in terms of getting. I think all I am missing is Zelda:4 Swords and Eternal Darkness. I'm abit iffy about Twin Snakes because it goes for the price of a new game and I already have the original Metal Gear Solid on the PSX. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm interested in hearing them.

Allthough while browsing I wound up amassing the rest of the Gamecube Bonus/Preview discs. I found the Resident Evil 4 and the Pokemon Bonus Disc for real cheap. Now I think I have the entire GC bonus disc set:
Mario kart Bonus Disc
OoT/MQ Zelda Disc
Zelda Anthology
Rogue Squadron III: Preview Disc
Gamecube Preview Disc
Pokemon Collseium Bonus Disc
Resident Evil 4 Preview Disc

Am I missing any? I take except for the Zelda ones, the rest are just novelty items that have no collector value for them.

Metroid Prime came with a Metroid Prime 2 preview disc or something if you got the version that came with a new GameCube. And as for the value thing, I know at least at one point that Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc was going for like $50 because that's the only legit way you could get I think Jirachi?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Projector bros :respek:

Right now I've had to give up my home theater room temporarily but I miss rockin the 150" screen. Haven't tried anything retro on it aside from emulation, curious how it'd like my TG16...

Also I take it yours is sitting instead of being ceiling mounted, since the fan would obstruct the image...? Man I did that for a while and was so goddamn paranoid I'd end up dumping a drink into it, I ceiling mounted it within a month or so of owning it. :ohdear:

e. Since PS2 appears to be relatively fair game, I bought my projector exclusively because it could do near-lag-free Beatmania. And it does. And it is awesome. Sharp XR-30X. Giant Beatmania is pretty freaking cool.

Daaaaaaamn, I saw projectors and was going to ask about rhythm games. I'd buy one of those but... oh wait, it's like $100 on eBay... God dammit, must resist the :retrogames: aaaaAAAAGGHGHHHH

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

$100 for a projector sounds like it's too good to be true... I'd be nervous about just how lagless it was, what resolutions it supported, how bright it was, etc. Unless you mean you found an XR-30X on ebay for $100, which would be a decent price for one I'd say. The bulbs are around $230 and take like 5 mins to replace, so even if the bulb is dead you're looking at $330 for a pretty nice projector. I think I paid $600 or $700 when mine was brand new, and I never regretted that decision. I've had to swap the bulb once in ~6 years of owning it, it gets around 2500 hours of life out of a bulb, since I mostly run mine in eco mode.

Bear in mind it doesn't do 1080p, only up to 1080i, but the 720p image looks pretty drat nice. It's also reasonably bright, too, though you definitely want to seal up the room it's in.

Do it. I am not even very good at Beatmania, but it's the most anal god drat thing ever about timing, and it seemed as good as my 480i CRT about it. Almost perfect. It also was great with Wii Rock Bank because my upstairs LCD has a lousy upscaler and it had horrendous lag and was random so I couldn't really calibrate it, but the projector was like "cool, 480i? Yeah, no problem, jam away". I've yet to try it with PS3 Rock Band, but I imagine the lag calibration will come back with reeeeally small numbers.

I've played Pop'n Music, Guitarfreaks, Beatmania [pretty much all of them up to Gold], Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and yes, even DJ Hero, and all of them were flawless and awesome.

Do it.

Do it.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=sharp+XR-30X&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

There were a few used ones sold for around $100, which is a deal and a half for a screen I can play rhythm games on that both doesn't weigh a thousand pounds and isn't too small. Just a shame it wouldn't be able to play traditional light gun games, though.

I've been trying to find a Pump it Up machine to purchase for around a grand, but I'm not too keen on having the entire cabinet sit in my living room. I'm fine with home versions of games and all, but there is virtually no good home solution to play Pump without building out your own pad. I figured I'd just buy a machine, keep the pads and computer set up, install Stepmania and go to town. But that projector, I might have to jump on that. That seems like a much nicer looking solution than just sticking a TV set on a table. I've got the wall space and everything, too.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

H1KE posted:

Looks like someone's been checking ebay / craigslist for pricing guides and decided 'Hey, this must be what they always go for!'.

New page? Here - have something ridiculously priced for what you get. That thing is ugly as sin and sticks out like a baboons arse. They also do AFL football teams too! Wonder if they've asked for use of the logos. What's my team? More like what's my lawyers number? :v:

:eng101: Half Price Books bases their prices off of Amazon's listings, and I've managed to get them to mark down a few PS3 games after looking them up on Amazon and finding out they've dropped in price.

Then again, a couple of years ago they had The Man Show season 3 of all things in the locked case for $100, because there was just one listing on Amazon for some ridiculous price. About a month later I saw it on the shelf, unsold, for like $10 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I organise my newer-gen games by purchase date and even write the date and personal number inside the case or on the back of the cartridge :getin: Though that number does get broken if ever I resell a game.

Timett posted:

I've been thinking about getting CD books to store all my disc based games. One book per console. I feel like you'd all disapprove
I also do this. They really don't scratch up your games as long as you're not an idiot with them or buy a really lovely one, you can keep your cases in better condition, and it's nice to be able to bring a wallet full of games over to a friend's house.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 24, 2013

• Locked thread