Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Can anyone recommend me a decent RF modulator? I'm using an old magnavox for my retro gaming and the RF games look great, but there's a serious issue with some of the systems hooked up through the modulator. For example, both gamecube and playstation will show their starting logo, then blink back to static for a bit, blink back to the game, then blink back to static randomly. This seems to be happening on every system I have hooked up through composite to the modulator except the original Xbox. I really think it's an issue with the modulator since they play fine on the flatscreen.

Really nice OP though I didn't see anything about the custom cases folks are making using the universal game cases (http://www.thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-video-game-case-with-full-sleeve-insert/) and http://www.thecoverproject.net/

It was really cool to see the fancy cases folks were making for their loose games in the old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Can anyone recommend some shelving solutions for holding a lot of games in universal game cases?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Is there a way to repair SNES carts where the case is slightly loose and the board rattles inside? From what I can tell my carts that do this seem to have screws that never fully tighten.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I appreciate all the Zelda games for what they are. They all have at least one amazingly unique concept that is done extremely well.

I do have to agree that Link to the Past is pretty much the only one I can pick up and play through without getting annoyed nowdays. It seems like the newer the game, the longer that intro/tutorial phase is.

I play the games to get to the world map to start exploring. I'd love to attempt to beat the first game but I think either my battery is dying or I don't know how to properly power off my NES because I keep randomly losing my save :(

How hard is it to replace the batteries in these games with those little battery holders?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I haven't played the DS Zeldas. What was so bad about them?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I'm looking at getting a 32X for my Model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD setup. First of all, does the 32X even work with the Model 1 Genesis? What all cables and adapters are necessary to connect it properly? A complete 32x seems to be pretty pricey, so I'd like to just get one with only the pieces necessary to hook it up. I'd probably end up getting that three way AC adapter thingy too, to save some power strip space.

Also, is there anything to the rumors about the 32X damaging genesis games? I remember some talk of that when I originally had one as a kid but wasn't sure if there was anything to it.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

Hammond Edgar posted:

Yes, a 32X will fit a Model 1 just fine. It's the Model 2 that requires a plastic spacer to fit properly.

As for cables, you'll need one of these to connect the Genesis to the 32x
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesi...=item2ec0276f52

And any Genesis Model 2 av cable to connect the 32x to the tv.
There's also some metal clips that go on the Genesis' cartridge slot, but they're totally unnecessary.

So if I can find a barebones 32X, all I'd need is that patch cable, the AC adapter, and the 32x AV/cable (or would my Model 1 AV cable work?)

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
After changing the battery in my NES copy of Zelda, the game now has severe graphical glitches. The pins are clean as can be and I don't see any excess solder or anywhere I may have damaged it. Did I simply get the circuit too hot and permanently damage it? :/

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
$15 haul from a local yard sale.

They were absolutely filthy, but after cleaning them up, all work great!

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Spoke too soon, took apart Mario Kart to clean the pins a bit better since it was glitching a little. The resistor fell out with the pins still stuck to the board :(

Is this possible to repair?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

fatpat268 posted:

Should be easy to repair. Match the resistor (you still have the resistor, right), but a new one, and solder it in.

I used to do a bit of soldering back in the day, I was excellent at installing chips in playstations and xboxes so I shouldn't be this bad, but I've been messing up lately. I think my soldering iron is causing issues. It seems to take way too much pressure and time to get the solder to melt. It's a really cheap iron I got off amazon so I may try to get one from radio shack as well as the resistor. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a soldering iron for game/system repair?

I do already have a copy of Mario Kart that works great so if anyone else would like the broken one to tinker with, I'd be glad to give to you if you cover the shipping. Otherwise I may try to repair it.

I also already have a copy of Link to the Past apparently, if anyone would like that, just make me an offer.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
It's the closest we really got to a new Secret of Mana game. I really enjoy it too. I've never tried linking gameboys before but is it possible to play that game with two players with one cartridge?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I'm thinking of selling the few rare games I have to fund getting an SD2SNES. I'm more about playing the games than collecting anyway and would love to have something that let me play rom hacks and translations. I'm only worried about the compatibility. I know they are still working on fixes to get SMRPG/Star Fox etc working. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Stone age seems to have the board only in stock. Is that all you really need if you can find a cheap sports game to gut?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

Thanks! Does the shell on that one fit US systems? I know it says multi-region but it looks pretty super famicomish so just wanted to make sure.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I've got 100 count case of those Universal Game Cases (http://thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-with-full-sleeve-insert/) that I no longer have room for after moving. Over half of them already have SNES, N64, and a few NES labels I've printed inserted and a four or five of the cases have had tabs removed to fit NES games.

Sadly, I just don't have room for the shelves I kept them on any more and I'll be lucky to find room for the games.If any goons are interested in casing their games, just make me a reasonable offer and you can have them.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Sounds good to me. Shoot me a message or email to stellarx at gmail and I'll get you a shipping estimate sometime Monday.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Any decent game for the gamecube I've wanted to buy seems to be over $30 with the exception of the Metroid Prime games.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Is there any type of flash cart available for the original gameboy or gameboy color?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
It's still pretty jarring playing the patched version of those games on the big screen. I like to play portable games on the gba player (or patched games on my wii via emulators) and some look pretty decent, like Metroid Zero Mission, but I guess I'm just too used to the smooth SNES graphics for the final fantasy games.

Can the patched versions be played on a flash cart with no problem? Not sure if the patch was just designed for emulation or not. I'd still love to play through those remakes on my handheld someday.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Wii is by far the console I play most, but that's only because it has virtual console and emulators on it. :keke: I haven't played an actual wii game in ages, but it really is an amazing device for retro gaming.

That said, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy is one of my favorite games ever, and though it did have a little bit of annoying waggle in it, the general control scheme is the most intuitive first person control I've every played and feels so much better than xbox and playstation controls, and rivals even keyboard/mouse as far as I'm concerned.

But I was that guy, who the first time I played the original Halo on xbox, thought the controls were the most ridiculous and clumsy thing ever conceived and games like this would never, ever take off on consoles.

StellarX fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 22, 2012

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I'd really like the SD2SNES Deluxe from Stone Age Gamer so I can have something pretty sticking out of my SNES since it will be in there all the time for the most part, but I'm wondering if waiting on a new batch to become available is futile and I should just bite the bullet and get a board so I can enjoy it. Are they pretty much always out of stock or is it just a bad time to be ordering?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

Ineffiable posted:

Even better. Get the snes game with the most awesome cover (I suggest Shaq Fu) and hollow it out and file out your SD card port. It'll take you maybe a hour to file it down if you're careful and slow but it should still look nice. Also you probably save, what 30-40 bucks on this? Especially if you already have SD cards.

May the Shaq always be with you.

I have this in my collection and I think the cover will be suitable.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Can anyone comment on how well these things work, or if there is a superior device available? I'd love to have some portable retro available on my Galaxy nexus.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/?srp=1#tabs

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I guess it didn't click with me that you could basically use any bluetooth controller.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Personally I felt like I was starting to hoard when I found myself cleaning and replacing batteries in sports games.

The flash carts seem to be perfect balance for me. I don't have the room for all the games I'd like to own someday, so getting to play them on the original hardware without having a house full of cartridges and shelving is quite alright.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Every old IDE hard drive I've found doesn't seem to fit my PS2 adapter. It's like the power and IDE connector are not far enough apart. Did the PS2 use special hard drives or should I be looking for a certain brand or model? I have been wanting to do the hard drive thing on it for years as I know the laser is on it's last leg. It cries especially bad when trying to read CD based games.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I have noticed Earthbound has steadily started climbing to the near $300 mark. I can't really figure out why as there's tons of listings on ebay whenever you look it up so it doesn't seem to be getting any rarer.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Are there any goons or goon recommendations for folks who mod original game boy advance consoles with back-light screens? It's by far the most comfortable of all my gameboys and I'd play it a lot more if I didn't struggle with light angles. Any light you mount on top of it just takes away any comfort it had.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I just got my first flash drive (Everdrive 64 from Stone Age Gamer) and it's one of the most enjoyable things I've gotten for myself in a very long time. I can't wait to get ones for my other consoles.

We found a copy of Pokemon Yellow and Red at the local game store for $5 each. They play great and I went ahead and replaced the batteries in them. They both have really faded/damaged labels though and I would like to replace them if possible. Couldn't really find anything on the cover project for gameboy game labels. Is there any other resource for trying to do this?

StellarX fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 16, 2013

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
This talk about the gamecube and n64 libraries has made me realize that it may have been kinda silly to get a Everdrive 64 considering the three games I actually want to play, I already own. (the two Zelda games and Mario 64).

What were some of the other decent games in the n64 library that were worth playing?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
We do happen to have a couple transfer paks and a copy of Pokemon yellow and red, so we tried out Pokemon Stadium. Playing in 3D with the Pokemon you have raised yourself on the game boy is definitely a unique experience. I really didn't get into these games at the time but the marketing and the technology behind things like the transfer paks, link cable trading, and even those Pokemon snap printer stations at blockbuster is really interesting.

I guess that whole scene greatly helped spread the idea of Nintendo being the "kiddie konsole" pusher for the rest of that generation and generations to come, but it was still an intriguing era in gaming history and technology.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
It is pretty crazy that a staple of the SNES library will never be released in any other format due to silly music rights issues. What I don't get really is why the music wasn't an issue when the game was originally released. I wonder if any other games have similar issues plaguing re-release attempts.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I'm not sure if it is nostalgia or what, but I always found the Anthology release of FFV vastly inferior in every way to the translation hack I played on ZSNES on my first computer.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I did actually appreciate the effort on the dbz style Chrono Trigger cutscenes, and to a lesser extent, the FFVI cutscenes, but the games really are unplayable compared to the original releases. It's pretty bad.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I'm actually looking for a cheap 32x for my model 1 setup if anyone has one. I kinda put it on the backburner after seeing ebay and amazon prices but I've still have a weird need to play Star Wars 32X.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

univbee posted:

Hey guys, I think I have more games than that reddit guy:

not pictured: CD Burner, spindle of CD-Rs, modchips

I'm starting to feel a little guilty and sad that I sold most of my cart games for various systems to pay for a few flashcarts.

Except my Genesis collection, but that's only because the effort to sell them would be more trouble than what they would sell for.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I'm really considering a PowerPak but I can't really seem to find a definitive list of what games don't work well on it. I'm assuming Castlevania III is one but if that's the only major title I may go ahead and get one. I was kinda waiting to get whatever flashcart Krikzz makes for the NES, but I figure it will be a very long time and when it does come out it will probably start out with similar compatibility issues.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

ACID POLICE posted:

For everyone getting a new SD2SNES soon:

- Famicom Tantei Club Part 2
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Panel De Pon :j:
- Bahamut Lagoon
- Star Ocean
- Magical Drop
- Gunman's Proof
- Super Robot Wars 3 (it's fully translated, the rest aren't AFAIK)
- BS The Legend of Zelda if you're a zelda freak which I am not

e: Holy poo poo how did I forget Romancing SaGa series?

Star Ocean works now? I thought for sure it was one of those "won't work on any flashcart yet" games.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I'm super curious now. Is that all SA-1 is is compression technology? Could someone hack some of the other unsupported games(SMRPG, etc)to get them to work on flashcarts or is there more to the chip that makes this impossible for some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
I do wish there was a way to preserve retro games that was on par with our ability to preserve and instantly consume other media like music, tv, and movies. Absolutely everything available seems cool in the concept but the execution never gets there. The virtual console barely scratches the surface of the libraries of the consoles it supports. I don't have experience with the playstation or xbox equivalents, but I can't see them being much better since they don't have have nearly the library nintendo has to draw from.

• Locked thread