Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ambitious Spider posted:

I just learned I have the bad Genesis 2 and bad Saturn. blast!

It's not all bad, you can still plug in an Action Replay and you have that kickass access light. (Not a joke, I really miss those lights on my round-button)

Pinguliten posted:

Regarding the saturn, if you do get the action replay cartridge for it, once you put it in, let it sit there. I seem to recall third party cartridges having a thicker PCB bending the pins in the slot making it not as snug and thus glitchy. It could also be that the saturn cartridge port is just plain bad but be careful with it.

This is the truth. The Saturn's cartridge slot is really finicky to start with, and just about any messing with it makes it start to go bad. I lost all my saves once thanks to a Saturn periodically losing connection with the cartridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Katana Gomai posted:

Are you serious? I can get Amazon Prime in Germany and get free shipping from .com and .co.jp? That can't be right.

You'll get free domestic shipping only, unfortunately. So Japan-Japan or US-US, but not Japan-Germany or US-Germany. If you know of a good forwarding service though, it can still save you $5-$10.

Also, the rates I can get for .co.uk to to the US are generally pretty reasonable, like maybe a couple pounds, so it might be similar for Germany if you're trying to order something from .com. I've only ordered books that way though, sometimes they get weird about shipping video games across borders.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sandpiper posted:

Sorry, I'm not that high tier on the collector scale. All I have is PD II Zwei and the original game that comes unlockable on Orta (I have an original Xbox too).

If I trip over a 5 dollar all discs in box with manual Saga at a garage sale or something I'll let you know.

What is it, like 200 USD minimum for a copy of Saga? My Saturn's unmodded which might change.

(also lol I wonder what other consoles I could hook up to this SCART-wise. It'd be kind of a waste to only use this for my Saturn, I put a lot of effort into scrounging all this various hardware into a cheap solution for high quality Saturn capture)

Since you're playing Princess Crown, you know you can score JP Saga for super cheap, right? As in, there is a copy on ebay with the bid sitting at $2.24. Note that the JP version is called Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG.

Heck, even if you don't read Japanese, I'd say playing a JP copy with the US script nearby is a better solution than spending hundreds of dollars.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

e: Poop, it goes in the pivot for the shoulder buttons, doesn't it? That means there's one missing now. :(

And yeah, that's the shoulder pivot. Unless you've tossed it or can't find it, they aren't glued in or anything think so you can just slot it back in.

edit: beaten

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sandpiper posted:

Well, I've always kept it at the back of my mind to just goddamn get the JP version. I may even just go ahead right now and pick it up.

I just can't resist one of the rarest Saturn games (and it's in english to boot) as a collector, that's all. I'm going to have to get it someday through trickery and using my eyeballs (I did manage to score the Wii Metroid Prime trilogy basically brand new in metal case for 40USD at the end of last year by sniping on ebay)

The collector's urge! I get it. I hate it. It makes me hold onto games I'll never ever play again or spend way more than I need to to get *that* version of a game.

Code Jockey posted:

The cat looks like it has a rather nasty vertical bar problem

When Hamburgler starts buying and disassembling cats I guess we know who to blame. :catstare:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I've been looking for a reasonable Saturn Karaoke model for awhile and haven't been able to find one.

I did, however, find these: (Speakers)

And this! (Amp)

The speaker logos are funny because they're meant to be hung sideways above your super sweet karaoke setup.

The speakers were NOS and the Amp is quite used, but both work really well. The amp also has outs for another speaker set, presumably the ones that are supposed to stand. :ohdear:

Bonus:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

jyrque posted:

Osaka/Kyoto retro games

I was in Kyoto for about a month this past summer, and it's a bit of a retro wasteland. Most of the stores around are kind of lovely 100 yen shops or stores called "Gamers" that sell crappy anime stuff.

That being said, I did manage to find a pretty good retro store. All I really remember about it was that it was tiny, packed with games for dirt cheap prices, and located within half a mile of the Kinkakuji. I'll try and dig through my pictures and get some more specifics, but it should be located near one of the subway stations on Imadegawa.

The rest of the decent stores in Kyoto are mostly nationwide chains (Book-Off, Wonder GOO), and the ones in the Tokyo area generally have better selection so you might as well wait.

As for Osaka, Den Den Town is the place to go for electronics of any sort. People actually seem to prefer Den Den Town to Akihabara to some extent nowadays. Also, Den Den Town is not nearly as infested with the "Moe" tide that hit Akihabara.

Also, when you're in Akihabara, you should hit up the big black obelisk-looking building called Mandarake. One of its floors is all retro games and they have decent prices.

Bit of general travel advice! When in Osaka, go to the area around Osaka Tower at night and bring a friend (for company/safety). You will probably see Japanese women in leopard print pants with their wife-beater wearing pot-bellied boyfriends and be unable to find a place that serves non-fried food. It's a bit surreal.

EDIT: Nevermind about Kyoto being a retro wasteland, google has revealed Goon-favorite Rakuten shop Suruga-ya A-too is apparently located there (and I didn't even know :cry:). It is at the A pin on this result here.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 20, 2012

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

An optical cable? Monoprice has them for literal pennies! :)

That's pretty cool but it also looks like it's covered in dust. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's because it's 4am where I am. Who knows!

I am going to have very very little computer time this coming week until next wednesday so please don't anyone think I am abandoning this thread or ignoring PM's. :tipshat:

Sup 4am buddy. It looks dusty cause it's a fancy smokey grey. That's the limited derby model, and there is another smokey gray one that has "This is Cool" stamped on it that I've always coveted. :argh:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

PopeCrunch posted:

Speaking of emulation, is Saturn emulation usable? I ask because the criteria for 'should i sell this' is whether or not I can emulate it effectively, and I am looking long and hard at the Saturn and games.

edit: SPEAKING OF SATURN. Do you know what that sound is? That's the sound of the next like five hours vanishing into thin air. http://www.ventoline.com/frozenbubble/ PUZZLE BOBBLE, BITCHES :fyadride:

Usable? Definitely, just look to here and click the "Ver0.12 beta R3" link. http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/

It's not strictly "100%", and you'll need to source an official Saturn bios for full compatibility, but the emulation works well enough for me to run Burning Rangers at max fps with no problems.

As an aside, even though this is a "beta" and hasn't been updated in forever, it is far and away the best Saturn emulator around.

EDIT: Looks like there's a (old) compatibility list here. I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of these problems have been resolved.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 25, 2012

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Midnight Raider posted:

They certainly seem to, from all I've heard given the scale they rate the quality of their used games in general. I wouldn't be surprised if they noticed an unfortunate crease or scuff on the cardboard and had to inform you.

Meanwhile, in the US, "the box is damaged" means that someone probably dropped it into a backyard lagoon, "cleaned" it by then dropping it into a bucket of bleach, and then used it as a dog toy for a while.

A while back I ordered a "complete" copy of Clash at Demonhead for NES from an Amazon seller that listed the box as damaged. The top half of the box was pretty much pristine, but the bottom half had literally disintegrated away. That was the day I stopped trying for any cardboard boxes for American games.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

WendigoJohnson posted:

No they're all individual releases. I never do mystery boxes because if they're not duplicates, they're some multiplatform titles or as you said, sports games. The only way I ever found a mystery box worth it is when you split the cost among a few people. That way if you do get duplicates people get what they want and you can divy up the extras pretty evenly. And instead of 40 bucks, each person winds up spending like 10.

What I ment was having no idea what the games are. It's because the titles are all in Japanese, the cart stickers are all something anime, and the description is poorly translated english. So whatever genre they are is up in the air.

Man, I hope you post a picture of the whole stash after you get it in so I can live vicariously through your gains. :colbert:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's only retro by technicality, but I'm still holding off on playing through the Sega Ultimate Megadrive Collection on my PS3 until I can find a decent 6-button fightpad to do it justice. Might just resort to getting the Madcatz one and hope for the best if I can't find anything better.

I've also been playing Trails in the Sky, and started Persona 2, on my PSP (those are technically retro games by now, right?), and replaying Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner on my PS2.

Trails in the Sky has that nice retro feel and Persona 2 is definitely retro, but I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Second Runner isn't cutting-edge modern gaming. Also seconding the Saturn pad, pretty much the best controller ever.

PC-Engine talk, I threw Starmobile into my last game order because it was super cheap and I've been playing the heck out of it. This is just about the first puzzle game I've played that isn't a match-the-blocks clone, so does anyone know of any unique and cheap puzzle games, preferably for the PC Engine or Saturn?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a Famicom lately, but I have no idea where to start. Prices on eBay vary wildly, and you never know what condition they'll be in. Anybody have any recommendations, I'm so new to import gaming I have no idea where to start, or if buying right from Japan would be a better call, or... anything.

My advice would be to skip Ebay entirely and try to get a Famicom from either Suguraya-to on Rakuten or from JapanGameStock. Ebay is usually more expensive and less reliable on the not-receiving-a-broken-piece-of-junk front

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
So! I've been Spring Break cleaning a bit and ran across my neglected, unloved Genesis. It's a Model 1 High-Def graphics edition and if anyone wants it they can pretty much have it for free, as I'm mostly looking to hand it off to someone who would actually use it. PM me if interested! Claimed.

Also, long shot, but does anyone know where I might be able to find some Pippin games?

Nancy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 9, 2013

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Anyone familiar with swapping stock floppy drives on an MSX2+ for newer ones, specifically the Sony HB-F1XDJ?
There's a ton of stuff on swapping out drives for the Panasonic/Sanyo models which I've found, but not a whole ton on the Sony models. My drive's belt was cracked and brittle upon arrival, and I do have a replacement drive belt coming, but I'd rather have a gear-based drive that isn't as prone to failure.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ACID POLICE posted:

I don't know about MSX's (I really wish I did though) but if they're anything like Atari ST's and other non-IBM compatibles of that era, it's probably because IBM compatible floppy drives start at drive id #1 whereas pretty much everything else used id #0. It's usually just moving one resistor and maybe one wire.

This actually does seem to be the main issue, but all of the Panasonic and Sanyo install guides I've seen are accompanied by several other pin switches and occasionally some soldered connections. Might be a connector mismatch on those though, so I'm really tempted to buy a few drives and start tinkering.

Ineffiable posted:

One of my silliest purchases is a Japanese copy of Daikatana.... For the N64.

If I had ever seen one I would at least be sorely tempted.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

univbee posted:

It took some digging in horrible parts of the internet, but I finally got my OG Xbox softmodded and a 400 gig hard drive put in. Should I do a step-by-step? Also, what are some of the must-play obscure titles on it? I already know about Gun Valkyrie, Metal Wolf Chaos and Shenmue II.

VV :drat: that was perfectly set up.

Requesting that step-by-step please! I still need to get around to doing it to mine.

Ineffiable posted:

Also, I recently got a Duo-R, what are some of the best PC-engine games that people would recommend? (and is fairly cheap)

Ankoku Densetsu/Legendary Axe II, Shubibinman 3, Valis 3/4, Star Mobile, and Tricky are all pretty good cheap-ish games.
Also, Gootzendiener can be found for cheap and is a pretty unique game, but it's a bit difficult to play.

Here's a good site to look up any games you're thinking about :
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Zaphod42 posted:

Super Robot Wars is the single import game I've played haha :haw:

Uh, I feel like an idiot, but is there some secret to using Rakuten's website? No searches I try seem to come up with anything at all, I can see things if I browse though... :psyduck:

It's sometimes helpful to search in Japanese. What are you looking for?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

DisposableHero posted:

I'm pretty interested. Thanks. The RF out is surprisingly clear on mine but if there is an easy mod to make it a little better I'm certainly interested.

Adding to CopperVein's recommendations, The Legendary Axe I/II are pretty good, hard action games. They are both kind of different, so it's a toss up over which you might prefer.

Also, if you're into puzzlers, you might take a look at Tricky Kick.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

manpurse posted:

Is there a guide or something for shopping for Saturn stuff on Rakuten?

Because god damm if i'm going to pay for $40 for a Saturn controller on Ebay.

Just use the menu to narrow down the search to Saturn stuff (Electronics & Hobby > Toys, Hobbies & Games > Video Games > etc.) and use wikipedia to get the Japanese for games you want to search for. Also, "サターン" is Saturn, "コントローラー" can get you controllers and "本体" will get you consoles.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

manpurse posted:

Thank you very much!

I take if I buy games on here they're all in Japanese, with no option to switch to english.

Who can resist Cancer Griffen for 2 dollars though??

No problem! And yeah, with very, very few exceptions, everything you find is going to be entirely in Japanese. The only notable exceptions that come to mind are the Japanese ports and remakes of Wizardry games, which tend to have serviceable full English translations.

It doesn't really matter though, given that you can own Panzer Dragoon for ~$5.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sandpiper posted:

Seal of A Good Falcom Game approval from me.

Every Falcom game is a Good Falcom Game because all Falcom games are amazing. :colbert:

Along those lines, I just received my copy of Brandish 4! And it plays nicely with D3D!

It's got a neat automap.

And I am seeing this screen quite a bit.

Only set me back about 1500 yen too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sandpiper posted:

There are a few bad ones, though, which is my point. Yes, they mostly make good games, but Gurumin and the first Zwei aren't exactly amazing. Neither are a couple of the LoH (pre-Kiseki) and Ys 3 sucks in comparison to the OiF remake.

Oh I definitely agree, I was just teasing you a bit. Still, though, Falcom is one of the few companies where I still end up enjoying their occasional bad games. Games like the original Brandish and Xanadu are not that great, for instance, but the enthusiasm and charm put into them manages to draw me in.

al-azad posted:

Gurumin is amazing, whatchu talkin' bout?

Seconding this, too.

Edit: ^^^Hardcoregaming always seems to have a weird position on Falcom games to me.

• Locked thread