Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No, OP needs to be written by an 8 year old IMO. "Your 18 wheeler swerves dangerously down a windy mountain road. Then an elephant comes out into the road and it's all GABLOSH!" Then bad guys are like "What dee gently caress," and they come running up like BLAW BLAW BLAW! So the you throw C4 on the elephant and it runs over to the bad guys because it's still alive like ba-REEEEEEEER right when the bomb goes off. All the pieces fly everywhere and all the cars explode, but there's more dudes coming in trucks with like super huge guns, so you like, jump off this cliff and WHOOSH! Wingsuit. Awesome. Buy this game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No, but I can make one where the OP is mostly me complaining about things that I disliked about FC1-FC3 (and beyond). Think it over and get back to me.

Do that, but this

Volkerball posted:

No, OP needs to be written by an 8 year old IMO. "Your 18 wheeler swerves dangerously down a windy mountain road. Then an elephant comes out into the road and it's all GABLOSH!" Then bad guys are like "What dee gently caress," and they come running up like BLAW BLAW BLAW! So the you throw C4 on the elephant and it runs over to the bad guys because it's still alive like ba-REEEEEEEER right when the bomb goes off. All the pieces fly everywhere and all the cars explode, but there's more dudes coming in trucks with like super huge guns, so you like, jump off this cliff and WHOOSH! Wingsuit. Awesome. Buy this game."

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I'm not going to lie: I saw 10 seconds of the Far Cry 4 trailer in a bar and I sort of really want to get it. I constantly seek games that provide the catharsis of running around gunning things, and I've spent ungodly amounts of hours in Far Cry 2, 3, and the STALKER series doing exactly that. Unless some stupidly good deal comes out on GMG to get it at launch for $30, I'm going to hold out, but I don't think I can avoid this game for long :ohdear:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Holy poo poo I would buy this game tell me when I can buy this game? xboklive: xXx5nYpErDOOD420xXx

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Morter posted:

I'm not going to lie: I saw 10 seconds of the Far Cry 4 trailer in a bar and I sort of really want to get it. I constantly seek games that provide the catharsis of running around gunning things, and I've spent ungodly amounts of hours in Far Cry 2, 3, and the STALKER series doing exactly that. Unless some stupidly good deal comes out on GMG to get it at launch for $30, I'm going to hold out, but I don't think I can avoid this game for long :ohdear:

I'm in the same boat, especially since it looks like I won't be able to play asscreed without upgrading my system. Far Cry 3 was way too much fun, even if they retain the mechanics and just put more effort into the world and story this will probably be worth it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Since our power is now back on, I figured I might as well make an OP. Post if there's anything you think should be included before the game comes out.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Volkerball posted:

Since our power is now back on, I figured I might as well make an OP. Post if there's anything you think should be included before the game comes out.

Be sure not to post a summary of Far Cry 3's storyline, as this will spoil the story in Far Cry 4.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
noted. there will be a nod to the white guy being the villain instead of the savior this time tho. really shakin things up a bit.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Is Far Cry 4 written by the same person as Far Cry 3? Because 3 was a bit terrible in that department.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm in the same boat, especially since it looks like I won't be able to play asscreed without upgrading my system. Far Cry 3 was way too much fun, even if they retain the mechanics and just put more effort into the world and story this will probably be worth it.

Ditto. I've only plaid FC 2 and 3, and I liked 2 better, but "absurdly, over-the-top cheesy" is clearly Far Cry's thing at this point. Sure, FC 2 was all "Grim-darkest Africa", and I loved that about it, but it was no less retarded than FC 3, it just had a different tone. If keeping the core gameplay and story concept but monkeying with the tone is what the Far Cry franchise is going to be? I can get behind that.

This franchise is shaping up to be the James Bond of video games: crass, formulaic, entertaining, and taking place in a wide variety of beautiful locations.

Not every game is going to be The Last of Us, Dark Souls, or Assassin's Creed 2.

Think of it like Duke Nukem'.

edit: and after saying all that, ^ for real, if it's the same writer, I am not optimistic.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

Far Cry 4 specs are out:

[code]MINIMUM
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

My video card is now a game's minimum requirement benchmark, time to upgrade.

Also,

Volkerball posted:

This is the best description and needs to be the box blurb.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Where does FC4 sit with regards to next gen platform competition? Is the PS4 going to be better or throttled back to match the boner?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sammus posted:

Is Far Cry 4 written by the same person as Far Cry 3? Because 3 was a bit terrible in that department.

Wait, how do you mean? FC3 was pointed satire of the White Man's Burden--it's just that the average gamer was too stupid to realize this.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, how do you mean? FC3 was pointed satire of the White Man's Burden--it's just that the average gamer was too stupid to realize this.

I wasn't even paying attention to it and I think it can be best summarized as "The writer was a pretentious poo poo who took his writing seriously and was unapologetic about how bad it was."

I hope we can avoid this shitstorm otherwise, even if I'm wrong :smith:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volkerball posted:

noted. there will be a nod to the white guy being the villain instead of the savior this time tho. really shakin things up a bit.

He isn't white. Pagan min is some ex triad guy from Hong Kong.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The best Far Cry thing I've ever read is this page right here.

"The 6P9 jams. 'Why are you jammed, 6P9?'"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
"A low-condition Desert Eagle. Given how fast it wears off the finish can't be chrome or nickel; tinfoil attached with glue is a safer bet."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Capn Beeb posted:

Are the IMFDB guys ever happy with the depiction of a gun in media, anywhere? Nice snarky captions otherwise, I guess...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
New thread is up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679872

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

StandardVC10 posted:

Are the IMFDB guys ever happy with the depiction of a gun in media, anywhere? Nice snarky captions otherwise, I guess...

I rarely see any posts of them giving a gently caress, I think that one is done in jest :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Hoooly poo poo this page is hilarious.

Also I love that the Desert Eagle says "Military Industries ... Deagle Research" on it. That's basically trolling irl Desert Eagle fans. Who deserve to be trolled.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Capn Beeb posted:

If you printed this page out and wrung it out like a dish rag it would drip enough sarcasm to fill a toilet bowl. I love it.

edit:

Good news, the Far Cry 3 page is either written by the same person or in the same tone. Excerpt:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 8, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The warning on the Far Cry 3 jet ski labels is
CAUTION Playing too much video games may lead to aggresive behavior. Handle with care. Herp derp

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Far_Cry_3#FN_Minimi

Seriously, the writer seems personally insulted by the MKG and it really is wonderful to read.

quote:

Jason holds his hideous insult to God equipped with an ACOG scope as he tries to find a suitably deep hole to hurl it into. Note the partially raised rear sight, which somehow still lines up perfectly with the front sight when using iron sights.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Volkerball posted:

Nope, the indigenous are the villains all along.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

Nope, the indigenous are the villains all along.

The moral of the Far Cry 3 was literally "White people who aren't from this island are the only good people, and if they stay too long, they might as well not be white anymore".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Snak posted:

The moral of the Far Cry 3 was literally "White people who aren't from this island are the only good people, and if they stay too long, they might as well not be white anymore".

The sad thing is that I could probably buy that the game was a satire, if it was in another media format. Because I mean a college age kid landing on a island and then becoming a chosen one and mastering warfare and indigenous culture is ridiculous. But for some reason in gaming, its seen as a legitimate storyline.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
Has anyone had issues with indoor shadows? Everything including NPCs become shiny when indoors without a major light source. This happens in caves and buildings.

Is this related to graphics settings or is it just a common problem?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I'm getting what I would best describe as sound tearing that's making the game unplayable. The sound part of it is annoying but manageable, but it seems like every time the game tries to make a noise performance generally goes to poo poo. I turned down the resolution and all settings (more than manageable for an i5/540M GT), and everything seems to run smoothly - until the sound tearing crops up and the frame rate goes to poo poo.

I didn't find much trying to search for the issue, is this something with a known fix?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So if I'm playing through this for the first time, any recommended mods? Should I install this Schwartz mod from the get go, or would that just end up ruining the game having access to everything from the start I don't really mind finding and climbing towers after the tutorial... unless there's a stupidly retarded number of them (20+).

Any graphics mods?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Ziggy's is the mod that makes the game really great, but I'm not really sure if I'd reccomend it for a first play through.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

keep in mind that i haven't maintained this thread in two years so any mods that may be listed in the OP are probably woefully out of date

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ziggys mod is playable for a first timer if you know the following things. I recommend the Hardcore version, because slowing down EXP gain makes the game better in my personal opinion:

-There's lootable containers all throughout the world, they look like small rectangular boxes. There's no button prompt so I would try and figure out what these look like.

-Blue herbs spawn underwater.

-When you are doing the hunting tutorial, get at least four boar skins before you complete the mission. Boars will not spawn there again after the mission is over.

-The first thing you need to unlock is the Weapon holster. That's what the boar skins were for.

-The second thing you need to unlock is an upgraded loot rucksack.

-You are wearing a wingsuit. Jump off a cliff while sprinting to deploy it, if you want to land hit C to deploy a parachute.

-One of your skills requires relics. Relics are lootable items in the world that are found in temple-type areas.

-Hold Q to heal. You will be doing this a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm replaying this with Ziggy's mod and welcoming most of the changes, except for the lack of a takedown notification. Is there a reliable method of triggering a takedown instead of limpily flailing my machete into the air and ruining my stealth? Alternatively, how can I bring back the takedown prompt with Ziggy's mod?

• Locked thread