Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any mod really up to date? I may give it another playthrough and I wouldn't mind it being kinda harcore mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Guillermus posted:

Is there any mod really up to date? I may give it another playthrough and I wouldn't mind it being kinda harcore mode.

I have been wondering this too. The swartz mod is apparently made for a much earlier patched version of FC3. I tried Ziggy's mod but apparently it breaks a bunch of the late game stuff according to the forums, and the modder is awol.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'd like to replay this game too (haven't touched it since it launched) and I miss the mods. I don't want to go through the bullshit of unlocking everything. I want a mod that gives me the bow and arrow and lets me immediately stealth around being an rear end in a top hat to enemies.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

HonorableTB posted:

I'd like to replay this game too (haven't touched it since it launched) and I miss the mods. I don't want to go through the bullshit of unlocking everything. I want a mod that gives me the bow and arrow and lets me immediately stealth around being an rear end in a top hat to enemies.

I think there is a easy mode mod on the Nexus that unlocks pretty much everything.

http://www.nexusmods.com/farcry3/mods/117/

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Excellent Far Cry Franchise pack going for a little less than $15 right now. Including every Far Cry game + All DLC + BLOOD DRAGON. Very good buy.

Anywho, I decided to give this game a try since I haven't played since early release and was wondering does Ziggys Mod still work? And is it compatible with Immersive Sounds (I mean, it says it is... but just checking since I'm not it's all up to date)? Looking forward to getting the immersive, hardcore experience I was wanting from the beginning and losing all that consolized in your face icons and garbage.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So I downloaded FC3 yesterday, got it installed. It runs perfect for the first couple minutes, but then begins to hang, display drivers crash, and then come back up every minute or so.

Tried DX9, updating drivers to newest, turning graphics low.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
So after a few hours of listening to Jason whine about being a natural born killer I've decided to forego actually paying attention to the plot and be JASON BRODY: WHITE TRASH MURDER GHOST.

Silenced rifle, silenced MP5, Bow and Arrow, Silenced pistol. No mercy, no detection. It's actually devilish trying to pull off no detection liberation.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phuzzy posted:

So after a few hours of listening to Jason whine about being a natural born killer I've decided to forego actually paying attention to the plot and be JASON BRODY: WHITE TRASH MURDER GHOST.

Silenced rifle, silenced MP5, Bow and Arrow, Silenced pistol. No mercy, no detection. It's actually devilish trying to pull off no detection liberation.

As long as they don't actually see you, you can actually go loud. I did most of my stealth liberations with grenades.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just a small update: grabbed a Steam copy of the game and it is still crashing the display driver. For the minute or two the game runs, it's fun though :(

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

As long as they don't actually see you, you can actually go loud. I did most of my stealth liberations with grenades.

Well that seems unsporting. :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I did some of my stealth liberations by accident.

A couple times a tiger happened to wander into a camp 300 feet away and killed everyone. That doesn't even count releasing caged tigers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wanderer posted:

I liked Daisy. Daisy rescued herself and fixed the boat. Daisy gets poo poo done.

It would be awesome if we could choose which friends we saved and which we killed.

Daisy/Riley keep, Liza and Keith "mysteriously" fall overboard in the middle of the night on the boat ride back.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

goodness posted:

So I downloaded FC3 yesterday, got it installed. It runs perfect for the first couple minutes, but then begins to hang, display drivers crash, and then come back up every minute or so.

Tried DX9, updating drivers to newest, turning graphics low.

Check out everything about your sound settings. I had issues and a lot of it was due to using the HDMI output on my Radeon graphics card for the sound, when I disabled it and went to Realtek stuff it helped a lot and largely eliminated the crash issues I was having. There are weird resource conflicts and such that can arise depending on what your sound setup is.

Also, is there a Far Cry 4 thread? It's getting pimped on Twitch a lot with ads and looks cool.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phuzzy posted:

Well that seems unsporting. :colbert:

Its way more fun however. I actually remember setting up three proxy mines at one side of a clearing, c4 at the other side and baiting the enemies into the middle. Detonated the c4 right as they hit the mines and the ensuing fire burned them all to death.

I actually felt a bit awful after that. But hey, stealth!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

dogstile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5CMNZA4Ro

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So having gotten this for the Summer sale, what are the current goto mods? People have mentioned some mods not really being updated anymore. So which are the current most recommended ones?

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I finished this at the weekend - I really enjoyed the exploration and the feel of the island. Taking over the camps could be repetitive but I liked that in later game it was increasingly difficult to get away with sniping. I was using mines in my last one so they did something right.

The story was all kinds of stupid, though. The storytelling was pretty bad as well, and all over the place. It's a consequence of these massive AAA teams that you can have teams of people making vibrant, enormous worlds but then some other people have to make a recognisable single player campaign. When the ending of the story was over and I was dropped back on the island, I could imagine a voice saying "Yeah, never mind all that stupid poo poo, let's get back to the real stuff"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I was reading the recent game informer and saw a games journalism moment. They were trying to argue that the game didn't have a white savior storyline simply because of what happens at the end.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That makes no sense, because in either ending, the white dude has saved the tribe from evil pirates and drug industry giants. Doesn't matter if he dies or not.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

dogstile posted:

That makes no sense, because in either ending, the white dude has saved the tribe from evil pirates and drug industry giants. Doesn't matter if he dies or not.

It's more that the tribe betrays you and kidnaps your friends but that came out of nowhere and at the last minute. They sit on their rear end most of the game while they are massacred and decide to do something at the last minute. gently caress that story.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The John Walker interview did a great job of exposing the writer as a "Yeah man, you don't get all these levels man! We're playing with all this stuff man" that just fell flat, and you know it's going to because ultimately they were making a standard game that didn't even approach the level of messing with the audience that Spec Ops: The Line did, and that game still had to walk the line of giving you a normal game experience.

Also regarding a 'shocking' moment of the game The writer, and some other places, have made a Big Deal out of the torture in the game... except it isn't even torture. You punch your brother a few times in the face, and then reveal yourself. After that, you're pretending to torture him, and he's in on it, so it's not torture then. The reason torture is bad is because of the circumstances, it's a psychological process where the victim cannot expect relief to come. If you're telling your brother to hurt you for a while so that you can avoid detection and escape, that's not torture. The result is, it's just how facile the writing is - the writer considers it torture because it cinematically resembles torture - it's skin deep. But look, he's tied to a chair and everything!

Speaking of tying up, how many times do you get tied up in this game and just manage to wriggle out of it anyway?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

It's a real shame the story is what it is.
The mechanics are so much fun...I will usually just climb radio towers and raid camps until I absolutely have to do another story to move on or unlock another skill. It's hard to think of a single story mission that I remember fondly, but I remember so many being so horrible.

The writing team really hosed up imo but at least you can reset outposts now so I can get my fix of free roam madness without lovely phone calls and dumb NPC speeches.

Actually I found most of Sams were fun, he got overlooked in all the Vaas love.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sleekly posted:

It's a real shame the story is what it is.
The mechanics are so much fun...I will usually just climb radio towers and raid camps until I absolutely have to do another story to move on or unlock another skill. It's hard to think of a single story mission that I remember fondly, but I remember so many being so horrible.

The writing team really hosed up imo but at least you can reset outposts now so I can get my fix of free roam madness without lovely phone calls and dumb NPC speeches.

Actually I found most of Sams were fun, he got overlooked in all the Vaas love.

I liked burning the marijuana fields, and RPGing the boat, it was one time when Jason actually rose above the grimdark poo poo this game is so fond of.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I liked burning the marijuana fields, and RPGing the boat, it was one time when Jason actually rose above the grimdark poo poo this game is so fond of.

Just completed the marijuana fields. Best mission so far, although the the Marley/Skrillex song gets repetitive fast.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That was a good mission, I also thought the abandoned submarine pen in the Buck missions was the prettiest single area in the whole game and I was sad that you couldn't revisit it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I guess the game wasn't glitched for you. It would have been a fun mission if I didn't have to play it more than half a dozen times for it to register the all the fields as burned...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there no Far Cry 4 thread? Search didn't bring anything up. Seems like it should be pretty awesome.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Volkerball posted:

Is there no Far Cry 4 thread? Search didn't bring anything up. Seems like it should be pretty awesome.

Agreed, I'm really looking forward to it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The boat RPG is a section of the game where I actually fist pumped. I didn't notice it was leaving until it was a while away and I snapshotted the RPG at it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

The boat RPG is a section of the game where I actually fist pumped. I didn't notice it was leaving until it was a while away and I snapshotted the RPG at it.

It sucks because you can blow up the boat early before the event triggers and it breaks the game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
New Far Cry 4 stuff.

Looking into the world. There's avalanches! :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUiZ0xnkd1c

Gameplay demo showing some new footage. The world is pretty incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpj2UZOcX-c

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

New Far Cry 4 stuff.

Looking into the world. There's avalanches! :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUiZ0xnkd1c

Gameplay demo showing some new footage. The world is pretty incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpj2UZOcX-c

A lot of people have been saying FC4 is going to just be FC3.5... based on the previews that looks to be pretty true, but I'm okay with it.

Have they said whether or not there's going to be hunting/ crafting/ RPG skill progression in 4?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

A lot of people have been saying FC4 is going to just be FC3.5... based on the previews that looks to be pretty true, but I'm okay with it.

Have they said whether or not there's going to be hunting/ crafting/ RPG skill progression in 4?

I mean, the problem with far cry 3 was not the amount of content, it was the implementation of content. The story, the crafting, the hunting, it was all horribly implemented and thrown together. Hopefully they can build on the mechanics they developed and implement them well this time.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Did they get rid of the FC3 writer? Because that's the only way the story will be any better.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The story was rear end, but its underlying style had a lot of potential. I think FC4 is shaping up to be pretty solid.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Professor Shark posted:

Some answers re: crafting and hunting at least:
http://gamingbolt.com/far-cry-4-interview-world-size-crafting-side-quests-and-more

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Does anybody know if Far Cry 4 is going to have Achievements/Trophies/Unlocks/loving anything tied to completing the game on Normal difficulty or higher?

This pissed me off in FC3 and Watch_Dogs, and if it's the same for 4 I'm not even going to bother.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Max22 posted:

Does anybody know if Far Cry 4 is going to have Achievements/Trophies/Unlocks/loving anything tied to completing the game on Normal difficulty or higher?

This pissed me off in FC3 and Watch_Dogs, and if it's the same for 4 I'm not even going to bother.

Did they have those? I don't recall any achievements/trophies related to difficulty in either Far Cry 3 or Watch_Dogs.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Brovstin posted:

Did they have those? I don't recall any achievements/trophies related to difficulty in either Far Cry 3 or Watch_Dogs.

That's my point. I want there to be a reason I can't just dial the difficulty back to the lowest setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Max22 posted:

That's my point. I want there to be a reason I can't just dial the difficulty back to the lowest setting.

Lol. Put it on whatever one you want to play it on man. It's not that hard.

• Locked thread