Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

blackguy32 posted:

Ram question: I technically purchased 4 GB of ram. But Device Manager in Windows says I only have 3.5 gigs of ram. What is the true number?

4 GB physical which gets rounded down to ~3.3-3.5 GB after the OS takes care of subsystems. Although you have a 32-bit OS, which seems like it would use 2 GBs of physical RAM + 1 GB pagefile after you use a /3GB switch.

Cardboard Box posted:

The worst part about the Max Payne 3 size is that almost all of it is 1080p FMVs that were made in-engine. :doh:

Are you kidding me? I can't believe how gigantic that download was for what it ended up being. Mystery solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

If you go digital and get the deluxe version, you get a bunch of stuff plus the Gamestop stuff, and the soundtrack. I would go that route, but I really want this on disc. Not a big fan of downloading large files when I can easily get it by disc for the same price.
The Digital Deluxe includes all preorder DLC, but it's also only available for the PC version.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cardboard Box posted:

Are you on Windows XP or Windows 7 32-bit? Because they only recognize 3.5 GB.

This is it. I don't think I need to upgrade my Ram. In fact, I just checked my specs and I just realized that I can run this processor under 64 bit, and I have a 64 bit copy of windows XP lying around. I just hate reinstalling windows though because it mucks everything up :(

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blackguy32 posted:

Ram question: I technically purchased 4 GB of ram. But Device Manager in Windows says I only have 3.5 gigs of ram. What is the true number?

Memory Limits for Windows Releases

A 32-bit OS can't address more than 4 GB. Also, if you have a 64-bit OS and you're still seeing only 3.5 GB available, then other components of your system are not 64-bit. You need to have a 64-bit CPU and motherboard, too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Adraeus posted:

Memory Limits for Windows Releases

A 32-bit OS can't address more than 4 GB. Also, if you have a 64-bit OS and you're still seeing only 3.5 GB available, then other components of your system are not 64-bit. You need to have a 64-bit CPU and motherboard, too.

I have XP 32 bit installed because I didn't know my system supported 64 bit.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Now that this is getting a lot of spotlight. Has any of the skill trees contents been posted online?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Speaking of which, thank god this game is stating ~12 GB HD space, which means it's not some ridiculous download like Max Payne 3.

Is this going to be the actual size or is it just a generous estimate? Because 12gb is a ridiculous download to me!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

blackguy32 posted:

I have XP 32 bit installed because I didn't know my system supported 64 bit.

there's no point switching for the extra. Just keep it in mind that when you add an extra 4, you've got to switch windows.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Is this going to be the actual size or is it just a generous estimate? Because 12gb is a ridiculous download to me!

The download should be quite a bit smaller. There will be files that'll decompress after download to fill that 12GB.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

It's probably around there. This is a huge game with a lot of graphics.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

cubicle gangster posted:

there's no point switching for the extra. Just keep it in mind that when you add an extra 4, you've got to switch windows.
Though keep in mind that extra 4GB and a copy of Windows 8 is less than the price of Far Cry 3 because good lord why are you still on XP?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm looking forward to this game but I can't trust any of the reviews coming out. Farcry 2 was sooooo good for the first 5-10 hours before it became obvious that the next 30 hours were going to be the exact same as the first few. If I were a critic and had to give Farcry 2 a rating after the first 5 hours it would have gotten a 10/10. The malaria side-story, the graphics, the sounds, the gunplay, the plot; all of them seemed excellent before the repetitive nature of the game became apparent.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Though keep in mind that extra 4GB and a copy of Windows 8 is less than the price of Far Cry 3 because good lord why are you still on XP?

Money, and really see no reason to switch to Windows 8. But where can you get Windows 8 so cheap? Everywhere I look, it's over 100 bucks.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The upgrade package (which always includes tools to format the disc anyway) is 40 bucks, 20 if you confirm with them that you have a legit version of Windows 7.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I'm looking forward to this game but I can't trust any of the reviews coming out. Farcry 2 was sooooo good for the first 5-10 hours before it became obvious that the next 30 hours were going to be the exact same as the first few. If I were a critic and had to give Farcry 2 a rating after the first 5 hours it would have gotten a 10/10. The malaria side-story, the graphics, the sounds, the gunplay, the plot; all of them seemed excellent before the repetitive nature of the game became apparent.

To be honest, the repetitiveness of Far Cry 2 was fully apparent by about an hour or two in.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gunder posted:

To be honest, the repetitiveness of Far Cry 2 was fully apparent by about an hour or two in.

I'm Far Cry 2's greatest defender, and yet this is still completely true. I've taken to make up goofy challenges as I go to spice it up, but frankly, it's like one of those mechanical bands you used to see at Chuck E Cheese. You lift up the fur and it's just a bunch of simple gears and skeletal poles moving around. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the convoy missions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

There were only a few mission types in Far Cry 2, not to mention a lot of unnecessary empty road. I really wish there was a radio function in the game to help the boredom. In any case, the game would have been much more manageable if I just decided to say gently caress you to the buddy missions and did the primary objectives only. The upgrades really weren't worth it, and the added drives made the game unbearable at times.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

blackguy32 posted:

Money, and really see no reason to switch to Windows 8. But where can you get Windows 8 so cheap? Everywhere I look, it's over 100 bucks.

They try to have as much user then possible, even if I don't like windows 8 I would choose windows 8 over XP because it's really showing his age nowadays. For the limited ram to the way it handle multi-cores, hard drive space and solid state drive. If you can get windows 7 thought because windows 8 have performance issue and I really hate the UI. But as far as know it is the case of most new operating system...

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 25, 2012

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gunder posted:

I hold to this day that Far Cry 2 is one the best and most enjoyable FPS games gameplay wise ever made, for the first 2 hours. After that you realize you have hit the peak of what the game has to offer.

Bleusilences posted:

If you can get windows 7 thought because windows 8 have performance issue and I really hate the UI. But as far as know it is the case of most new operating system...

Yes for the love of god if you're going to upgrade pick windows 7 and not 8. You don't want to know how horrible it can be to be an early adopter when it comes to operating systems.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 25, 2012

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
8 doesn't really suffer from early adoption issues though. Even an in-place upgrade was nearly flawless but hunting down drivers labelled for 8 is a must even if the 7 ones should work.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Far Cry 2 is ace, but the slogging around between locations is really dull, and everything feels like it's in really narrow canyons so you can't go off road that much

Heard FC3 has better fast travel, and the environment looks a lot more open and interesting, so double yay is this holds up

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

As long as it isn't on the scale of a Windows ME fuckup, I should be fine. I had Windows ME for like a year and a half. Windows 8 is quite a bit cheaper than Windows 7 at this point. Not sure if I will upgrade now since I have to backup a lot of my stuff since I will be switching from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Back on topic, I am hoping they got rid of that lovely blurring of your screen after you finish sprinting. That was a awful mechanic.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm pretty sure that was because of your character having malaria.
It was pretty lovely too, I recall you only ran 10% faster while sprinting and got tired after 3 seconds.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I'm just waiting to find out how the guns are. On Farcry 2 it felt like guys took too many shots to put down especially with guns like the AK47 and FAL.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first Far Cry was one of my favorite FPS games of all time, while Far Cry 2 was a pretty big disappointment for me. I had it pre-ordered and was very excited about it. All the preview footage of it that I'd seen looked amazing. But I didn't read any actual reviews of it before picking it up. I started playing it and I just couldn't really get into it. It looked GORGEOUS and even ran really well on my PC, but the gameplay was just mind-numbingly dull to me. Travel 10 minutes to get from point A to point B, kill off a few enemy camps along the way, complete your objective at point B, go back to point A while killing off more enemy camps along the way, get a new mission of the same type. I never finished it because it felt so boring. I know people sometimes call the first Far Cry and Crysis a tech demo and nothing more, but that's the definition of Far Cry 2, not Far Cry or Crysis.

That said, from the video reviews I've seen so far, Far Cry 3 looks pretty interesting. I really hope the gameplay is vastly improved over FC2. I'll probably be getting this for PC so I can get all the visual bells and whistles, and because multiplayer/co-op don't seem half as cool as the main story.

edit: Hahaha, I went to watch IGN's Far Cry 2 video review on YouTube, and the advertisement before the video was for FC3. In it, the announcer said something like "Machinima says 'Far Cry 3 is like Skyrim with guns.'"

Okay, I'll take that :v:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 25, 2012

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I really hope archery and shotguns are fun. And shotguns don't suffer from standard video game "Oh this is only good at five feet after that the pellets disappear just like real life!!!" bullshit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

edit: Hahaha, I went to watch IGN's Far Cry 2 video review on YouTube, and the advertisement before the video was for FC3. In it, the announcer said something like "Machinima says 'Far Cry 3 is like Skyrim with guns.'"

It makes me wonder if this will be the FPS game that everyone gets eventually much like Skyrim and Fallout.

Capn Beeb posted:

I really hope archery and shotguns are fun. And shotguns don't suffer from standard video game "Oh this is only good at five feet after that the pellets disappear just like real life!!!" bullshit.

My pet peeve is inaccurate guns. It annoys the hell out of me when FPS has rifles that can't hit poo poo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I want to get this but I don't want to pay the $70 on Steam and no other cheapgamezsite seems to be giving out codes to enter into Steam. Unless they're gonna force U-Play on you through Steam anyway, but all the pre-order deals will be over then.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Capn Beeb posted:

To be fair, how many FPS game do shotguns correctly? Crysis 1 is the closest I can think of. The shotgun there had 2 fire modes, standard FPS shotgun spread and an actual realistic spread mode that worked well at medium to long range.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Croccers posted:

I want to get this but I don't want to pay the $70 on Steam and no other cheapgamezsite seems to be giving out codes to enter into Steam. Unless they're gonna force U-Play on you through Steam anyway, but all the pre-order deals will be over then.

It doesn't use Steam DRM. It uses U-Play DRM so you will still have to go through U-play anyways.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"Machinima says 'Far Cry 3 is like Skyrim with guns.'"

Machinima is stupid and there's really no comparison to Skyrim outside of the open world.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

It doesn't use Steam DRM. It uses U-Play DRM so you will still have to go through U-play anyways.
Does U-Play have a stupid progam launcher like GFWL/Origin/bloody Rockstar Social Club has or is it just log into an account when the game boots up?
(The whole last bunch of Ubisoft games I've played have all been on console, they just ask for your account and password if it's not saved into the console already, then I've never had to worry about it again.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

To be fair, how many FPS game do shotguns correctly? Crysis 1 is the closest I can think of. The shotgun there had 2 fire modes, standard FPS shotgun spread and an actual realistic spread mode that worked well at medium to long range.

Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 did a pretty good job, and oddly enough the 870 in Black Ops 2 is about right.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Croccers posted:

Does U-Play have a stupid progam launcher like GFWL/Origin/bloody Rockstar Social Club has or is it just log into an account when the game boots up?
(The whole last bunch of Ubisoft games I've played have all been on console, they just ask for your account and password if it's not saved into the console already, then I've never had to worry about it again.)

When I played through rear end Creed Bros recently it launched Ubisoft's own launcher from Steam where I had to then start up the game and could see all my ubipoints and that crap.

So I'm assuming this would be using the same system with the Ubisoft software in between Steam and the game.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
drat! I totally didn't know this already came out. I've been too busy with Guild Wars 2 and Most Wanted and now HItman ugh ... I haven/'t even played Dishonored past the first level. This is such a good time for PC games it seems.

How is this for the PC anyways? It kind of flew under the radar - watched the gametrailers review and got all excited. I hope there is a giant bomb quick look for it soon because that is how I remember games are coming out now.

I haven't played a GOOD single player FPS game on the PC since like Metro 2033 so I am pretty excited for this. Sorry I didn't like borderlands and dishonored didn't really seem that great. I think Metro was the last one I really cared for.

This looks great are people having fun? Most important do enemies respawn? That RUINED far cry 2

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Meowbot posted:

How is this for the PC anyways?

I've heard that the PC port looks and runs fantastic, has no mouse filters, all the graphics and control options you'd expect, an FOV slider and DX11 support. The only downside is uPlay DRM, but other than that it sounds like it's as good of a PC version as Far Cry 2 had.

Meowbot posted:

This looks great are people having fun? Most important do enemies respawn? That RUINED far cry 2

The game isn't out yet, but critics have been lavishing it with praise. No, enemy guardposts don't respawn. Once you clear a guardpost it's under your control.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 did a pretty good job, and oddly enough the 870 in Black Ops 2 is about right.

I've literally never played a game where the spread is higher. :stare:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Battlefield 3 had slugs, I guess.

The whole thing about videogame shotguns not working 'correctly' seems so silly to me. They work correctly by the definition that shotguns occupy a role as a short-range, high damage weapon because that's the role they've largely always occupied in videogames.

Games are largely all about abstraction, not simulation.

Even aside from that, there's plenty of actual military sims out there that do simulate their weapons relatively accurately while abstracting other things.

I can't imagine Far Cry 3 will be improved if the guns work 'correctly' like people always demand.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Meowbot posted:

drat! I totally didn't know this already came out. I've been too busy with Guild Wars 2 and Most Wanted and now HItman ugh ... I haven/'t even played Dishonored past the first level. This is such a good time for PC games it seems.

How is this for the PC anyways? It kind of flew under the radar - watched the gametrailers review and got all excited. I hope there is a giant bomb quick look for it soon because that is how I remember games are coming out now.

I haven't played a GOOD single player FPS game on the PC since like Metro 2033 so I am pretty excited for this. Sorry I didn't like borderlands and dishonored didn't really seem that great. I think Metro was the last one I really cared for.

It hasn't. Almost none of these questions can be answered because the game won't be released to the public for another week and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you kidding me? I can't believe how gigantic that download was for what it ended up being. Mystery solved.

From what I understand, the reason Max Payne 3 is so big is an engine limitation in the RAGE engine that requires art assets to be duplicated for every individual level

• Locked thread