Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

Do we know if there will be a PSN digital version of this game on release?

There is a digital version available for pre-order on the British PSN, so I'd assume it will be available for purchase in the USA store during release week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm pretty sure that was because of your character having malaria.
It was pretty lovely too, I recall you only ran 10% faster while sprinting and got tired after 3 seconds.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Because depending on the engine they're good for masking loading or handling things that would tax hardware (especially consoles) too much.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Adraeus posted:

Far Cry 3 is Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption, Hitman, and Grand Theft Auto rolled into one massive open-world first-person RPG. You're not going to convince anyone that there's "not a hell of a lot" to do in Far Cry 3.

Is it The Saboteur, Postal 2, Rage, Wolfenstein 2009, Metal Gear Solid, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs and True Crime as well???

I enjoyed Far Cry 2, but that was mostly because it was nice to have a well made game with a decent setting rather than another of Bethesda's budget titles set in Brown Barren World or Generic Fantasy World Featured in a Thousand Video Games. If this is FC2 but with more things to do and activity in the world then I'll be pleased.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

It also determined that I would be really goddamn annoyed at the fact that despite there being no differences between any of the mercenaries, and plenty of women mercenaries running around the game world, you could only play as dudes. So close!

The female mercenaries were going to be selectable at one point, but like everything else in Far Cry 2 they couldn't add them in due to time constraints.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

swissmercenary posted:

I liked FarCry 1 because the main character reminded of myself. No, I was not an ex-special forces assassin, but he did talk to himself and so do I. I don't answer to myself tho.

RIGHT NOW I'M SO PISSED OFF IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY KNOW I'M COMING OR NOT

The story in FC1 was an excellent 80s action movie. Far Cry 2 and 3's stories had writers talking about how good they would be and they're utter poo poo. I did 3 main missions in 3 and the story is atrocious compared to how great everything else is.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The constant pop-ups for tutorials or missions are horrible. There's one early on where it tells you that you can do the main mission or continue exploring the island and it flashes every 5 minutes.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

If I buy a key from Intkeys for $40, will I be able to download and play using uplay?

Edit: Early searching indicates that unlike Steam, if you buy a phyical copy you have to install from the physical media before getting a chance to register the game.

You'll have to download the game and put the serial since Uplay doesn't have any options to redeem them.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So how does one load custom single player maps on PC in-game? Seems like there is no option for it.

Edit: So it seems like you can't share them and are only able to play them in the editor by yourself. :what:

GUI fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 2, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm sitting at 70% general completion rate and outside the dumb story my complaints are the obtrusive UI, bland sidequests and easy combat.
The side quests are all so simple that they feel like an afterthought most of the time. There was one where I had to repeat the process of picking up flowers outside some guy's house three times then it ended. Another had me talking to a woman, walking five feet, talking to a man then walking back to the woman and talking to her. Lastly, other two had me going to 3 designated areas, picking up key objects and going back to the guy who gave me the mission. They're all so simple that I wonder why they even exist.
The UI everyone's complained about already: you constantly get remainders while exploring about your main story objective and constant pop-ups every time your wallet or backpack gets full, which is going to be very often early on in the game when you have no upgrades. The huge PRESS SPACE/A/X TO CLIMB whenever you're near a set of ropes strips away any kind of challenge in those radio tower jumping puzzles.
The combat, even on Hard, never gets too challenging. It starts out slightly difficult for the first two hours of the game when you have no ammo/item upgrades and lovely weapons, but after you get those and some higher tier weapons (silenced sniper rifle and MP5) the game becomes extremely easy, even more so with how stupid enemies are if you're sneaking. Weapons also boiling down to "each one in each category is better than the one before it" also strips out a lot of options for you, if you want to use the AK over better weapons you're just artificially making things harder on yourself.
The exploration is something that's extremely good, but when you buy collectible maps it becomes rather pointless to explore on your own since the hundred collectibles happen to be placed in every uniquely designed area of the game, which means you'll never have a moment like in STALKER where you'll come across something cool by accident.

That said, I think it's still a very good game that deserves a purchase if you're interested in the genre. It's quite unique considering the only big budget games of this type are Bethesda's (and those are terrible :smug:).

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Just finished it. The story ended up being all over the place, especially the second island which felt like Dan Houser took over writing duties. Is the game a dark comedy? Is it an action movie? Is it a commentary on how upper class kids are horrible because they have money to spend on fun activities (how dare this scum have money to go skydiving)? Is it trying to make a statement about violence in shooters? Is it trying to make a statement on the repetitiveness of video games? Who knows!

In terms of gameplay I liked it quite a bit, but they should've kept the weapon jamming from 2 and changed it to be less frequent. Same with enemy patrols as it's pretty boring to clear outposts and suddenly the entire game world has no hostiles other than animals.

quote:

And a solution to depleting your enemies by capturing bases: shoot your allies.

They all seem to carry the exact same weak weapon loadouts (AKs and shotguns) and are in groups of 4 though. Makes combat against them pretty easy.

GUI fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 4, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wazzit posted:

Is it possible to shoot while driving now? That always bothered me in Far Cry 2.

No, you still can't.

I hope that for FC4 in addition to shooting from vehicles they bring back the dual-wield option Far Cry Instincts had. Dual MP5s? Sure, why not :smug:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Can you actually add AI to the maps in map editor mode? Because I'd kill for some really well-designed levels full to the brim with dudes to stalk and murder.

Yeah, but for some terrible reason you can only play them by yourself in the editor and they can't be shared.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

gibbed posted:

Looks like there will be at least one piece of post-release DLC: there are string table entries for two Co-op DLC maps, JAILBREAK and REDEMPTION.

They were announced the other day and they're console-exclusive (I think PS3 only?).
Not that it's a bad thing since the co-op is awful. MP is alright though, it's Call of Duty but with good map design.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's the other way around, the optional conversations with them makes them more likeable.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, did Shawn from Assassin's Creed write this game's enyclopedia entries too? Or was he always just a pseudonym for some smug, irritating writer in Ubisoft Montreal who thinks he's funny?

I thought the same thing when I first read a few.
You meet that character eventually.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's some worthless mission you unlock with uPlay points. It only exists to give you money which you can already find everywhere in the game world.

quote:

What's the deal with the camera reticle turning gold sometimes and Jason making a dumb tiger noise when I take a picture?

That happens if you photograph human corpses. It's a left-over from a side mission you do that has you taking pictures of them.
Outside two side-missions the picture function of the camera is worthless and has no use.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What did today's patch add? Is it the notes from the other day that were just minor performance fixes?

Adraeus posted:

I don't think you'd enjoy Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

I post in the General PS3 thread and you have no idea how much Samurai Sanders loves Dark/Demon's Souls.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I feel pity for the broken soul who tries to get all loot chests.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The enemy taunts are weird. Why are they so amicable? Most of them just go "It's Jason!" "drat you, Jason!" Are you best friends?

Most importantly, why is Snow White translated as Light Beer in the Spanish subtitles???

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

Jeffrey Yohalem: Yes! It’s NOT! It’s the opposite! The game is the opposite. It’s so funny to me. I’ve seen these arguments on forums, and I think these arguments are fantastic because people are engaging in a discussion about art, which is exactly what I was hoping would happen. But, the game’s argument is that Jason is basically used by everyone on the island – Jason is basically a gun, that is upgraded by the natives on the island. It’s the opposite of Avatar. And it’s fantastic to me, because Sitra is standing in front of the home tree when you first meet her, you’re called Snow White, the people are called the Rakyat, which means “the people”. It’s the laziest name for a tribe ever, they’re not real, they’re a metaphor. People need to be looking at the names of these things. There are all kinds of secrets in this game for people to figure out, that tie into the main plot. It’s all part of what the game is trying to say.

Hahahahaha christ, what a wanker. At least the writer of The Line was pretty chill and down to earth.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Remember that Vaas wasn't originally going to be in the game. He was added in after Ubisoft were impressed by the actor's performance.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Are there mods that just resize the minimap/health bars or make them be positioned lower in the bottom left of the screen?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Didn't they have open world co-op in one or both of the previous Far Cry games? I seem to recall people hated being tethered to stay within a certain distance of the host or something.

None of the FC games had open world co-op.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is there anything yet to play custom SP maps in-game?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Far Cry 1 went back into open environments after the first encounter with the trigens indoors.
They could be instakilled with one shotgun blast as well.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

IGN article about the early designs for Vaas.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That achievement is a reference to this.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

morcant posted:

You should (well, shouldn't) read any interview with the lead writer. It's :smuggo: to a very high degree.

Full interview here, if you're into that sort of thing.

I like the game and had a lot of fun with it, but definitely thought the second half was weaker/completely not worth it. I really don't like Hoyt as a villain, as he's entirely uninteresting and cliche after Vaas. Though maybe that was the point all along? :pseudo:

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Far Cry 2's female mercs were going to be playable but had to be cut due to deadline issues. There was a even an article about it during release.

• Locked thread