Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow

An old man in a black duster has been nonchalantly walking around the hydrofoil-bedecked ship, attempting (unsuccessfully) to conceal his appreciation. After a few circuits and a few pats on a reanimated manta's head, the grizzled old sailor strides over to the others and takes a glass. He spits and takes a swig.

"She'll do; barely, but she'll do. To the sea, then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor
Imminent Revelation of Oblivion, Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow

The Waves finds his captain staring intently at a desk in his quarters. At first, Watcher merely waves off his engineer, too engrossed in hypothesizing who put the desk there and for what purpose; repeated promptings make him snap out of it and stand.

"To Oblivion with it; I suppose we should do this right. I'll be up in a second." The grizzled old seaman roots around in the closet and finds the most ostentatious hat there. Grabbing a bottle of grog on the way out of his quarters, he completely ignores Daughter's question and strides onto the main deck and yells out in a loud, almost hoarse voice, "Cut the lines! Raise the sails! TIME TO MAKE CREATION FEAR US!"

He throws the grog sharply onto the deck, shattering the bottle and making the liquor spray everywhere; the mantas somewhat disturbingly have a taste for it and lurch the boat around slightly to guzzle as much grog as they can before it leaks off the ship entirely.

Watcher loks back at Daughter with a slight smile. "Does that answer your question?"

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow Imminent Revelation of Oblivion--Bridge

"Nope."

And with that, the captain concentrates for a moment, tapping the deathly currents below. Soon they are edging past the Envoy, and Watcher chuckles a bit at the thought. No need for the fancy stuff. She'll do nicely.

The captain, seeing the rest of his crew disappear to their quarters, gives an enterprising skeleton the helm and trudges off to his own; before he leaves the deck, though, he concentrates again. Visions of gaunt fish and skeletal hulks of other ships fill his mind; no point being unprepared.

Watcher retires to his room once again and begins to puzzle anew at the desk. His anima blazes, whispering dark secrets about the desk to him.

Speedin', Seein', and Seein'. Caste power should help with the second seein'.

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 15, 2012

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, Imminent Revelation of Oblivion - Captain's Quarters

The grizzled captain looks around for an intercom system, settling on a gently quivering trachea coming out of a nearby wall.

"In case you haven't noticed already, we have encountered our first prey. Thirty degrees to starboard, steady as she goes."

Shrugging, Watcher snaps his finger and mist descends upon them all--centering on the Envoy, or else they would get lost. If the other ship hasn't seen their prey yet, they never will.

He sits in his cabin for another minute, lightly stroking the spine of his small skeletal monkey before slowly walking up on deck.

Misting it up--15m, 1WP to make a 5 mile radius fogbank centered around the Envoy that drops all the wind (Oblivion is fine because of the other charm up which makes us move at double speed regardless of wind conditions) and gives really bad visibility and gives -3 to navigation, with failures driving ships towards the center of the fog.

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 18, 2012

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, Imminent Revelation of Oblivion

That finally gets Watcher to get up--nothing like nearly getting winged by Essence artillery to spry up old legs. He makes it out on deck and winds up to give a hearty bellow to the other ship:

"Well hello to you too! Didn't know you would get so put off by a little fog that you would fire on your allies! Meanwhile, the Guild ship is on its own power and is moving to the northwest instead of straight out of the fog, and some sort of weather magic is happening off to the west. Both need looking into; which do you want to investigate?" Touchy lady...might as well give her the illusion of control.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

"Well crew, it looks like we are in for a real fight--there are Immaculates on that ship. Ready to fire with all we've got--plaster the deck with cannon fire and try to disable their main batteries before they get a chance to fire back."

Watcher sighs. Time to actually figure out how to fire one of these things, wasn't it? He flips through an instruction manual printed on a human hide. That'll do.

Spending 4XP to get Archery-3.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

After what seems like a rather long time, Watcher finally puts down the firing manual. That should be enough, I think, at least for a surprise attack. The old man gives his monkey Jojo one last pet and then whispers in a hoarse voice, "Now." Like a well-oiled machine, his crew leap (some literally!) into action, launching Essence weapons and hurtling over to the enemy boat. Yes, this was how it was supposed to be. For his part, Watcher lines up carefully, getting an enemy gunner right in his crosshairs. He smiles faintly before squeezing the trigger. This would be the first step towards his fleet proper, one which wouldn't try to potshot his hat at the smallest opportunity.

Spending another 5XP to get up to Archery 4, then firing.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

"Damnit. I wanted that ballista. Waves, you think you can fix that once we finish up here?" All in all, though, this crew is shaping up nicely.

Watcher scours the deck of the enemy ship for worthy targets, analyzing the actions of the mortal crewmates to try and locate the captain of the boat.

Joining that battle and if I need to roll to find a good next target then I will probably fail.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

Choices, choices: what to do? For a moment Watcher considers trying to potshot the Earth aspect off the boat, but pauses before squeezing the trigger--that's a lot of jade that would be falling to the bottom of the ocean. What else would do? But the angles aren't right for it at all...

He grabs Jojo and starts pulling on various bones, making sickening popping noises as the skeletal monkey's finger and spine joints are forcibly dislocated. At first it seems like madness, but soon it becomes apparent that he is using the poor thing as an impromptu abacus, calculating an exact trajectory.

An instant later, a beam of pure Essence lances out of the fog, refracting through a glass window near the rear of the ship. After half a dozen bounces off of tea kettles and sea chests and a rather nice desk (which may need some touching up now), a wave of force rips open a door's hinges and slams into the Earth aspect, staggering him back towards the main mast; with any luck, he will strike with such force that it disturbs the crow's nest.

Shooting a dude. 20B piercing, Speed 5, hopefully an extra success for Sail 5.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The captain pets Jojo softly. "You did a good job, yes you did--" THUNK.

What's this? A boarder? On MY SHIP?

Suddenly, Watcher is a flurry of action: the captain yells at his shambling crew, "Stop her! Keep her back!" Heroically, he whispers for Jojo to defend him with its tiny body; he grabs out a pouch of gravedust, sprinkling it around him in a pentagram. Dark flames arise from the deck, and the reanimated mantas give out low moans, as if they know what comes next. Chanting words forgotten to Oblivion, the Daybreak's hands seem to grow transparent, revealing the skeletal structure beneath--like calling to like. He would break this impertinent nun on the wheel of suffering...and she would serve forever.

Yet at the same time, a calming scene--the fog begins to lighten and glow with the pale pre-dawn light that only shows itself over the oceans after a storm. Giant skeletons seem to drift through the fog, advancing and receding as if propelled by invisible waves. It's almost enough to lie down and steal another few minutes of sleep before waking up for the day's work.

Calling appropriately positioned zombie crew to Blockade Movement on her (they have Sail 5 and Str+Athletics pools of 6, so yeah; also the nun would have to make a diff-2 Stam+resist or take -2 to her rolls for the action) and others in range to just wing her. Jojo will be Defend Other-ing--its Parry DV is 2 (before Sail 5 shenanigans if any) but every little bit counts. Also starting up some sexy Shape Necromancy action to try and control her bones.
pre:
Health Levels	 Soak*	 DV	
-0	 O	 Bash 15	Parry	3
-1	 OO	 Lethal	12	Dodge	2
-2	 OO	 Agg 10	MDV 9/3 (DDV/PDV, +App mod)
-4	 O Hard	6L/6B	
Incapacitated OOOO	

Essence	3 PersEss: 19/19 PeriEss: 3/37 (6 committed)

Will 7/10

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 20, 2012

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The old captain stands proud, readying all of his focus towards harnessing the eldritch powers of Oblivion to stop the Fire Aspect before she does any real harm. Nothing can stop him.

Going through with it. Still gonna pop my defenses if she attacks (since she would attack before I would start my shape sorc action)

pre:
Health Levels	 Soak*	 DV	
-0	 O	 Bash 15	Parry	3
-1	 OO	 Lethal	12	Dodge	2
-2	 OO	 Agg 10	MDV 9/3 (DDV/PDV, +App mod)
-4	 O Hard	6L/6B	
Incapacitated OOOO	

Essence	3 PersEss: 19/19 PeriEss: 3/37 (6 committed)

Will 7/10

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the gates of sorrow
Dark fires dim down and the captain looks nothing but a feeble old man. "I'm listening--something big is on its way, anyways."

Standing down. I would like to do something clever like jump off the ship but really can't without knowing more exactly what is going on. I assume worst possible scenario that all essence is used, dv shot, and my ally hasn't
a chance to stop/kill fire nun before she gets in melee with me?

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
"Easy now, Kisses Death in the Dark, Ralph," looking at his fellow Abyssal and Jojo respectively. Carefully he places the skeletal monkey on the helm, giving Jojo one last ruffled of his bones while pressing somewhat more to starboard.

I am going to let what happens happen (guard) but let me note that little Jojo has a wits + sail of 8. Also are there any likely ropes that can be manipulated to move Watcher quickly up or away?

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
The Daybreak chuckles darkly. "I have nothing against the people who are alive staying that way. And no, never heard of that ship. If she moves really fast and displace two hundred tons, though, we'll be seeing her in not too long."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The Abyssal's eyes narrow. "What exactly is Siren's Heartbreak supposed to be doing? I ask because you started doubting that we were that ship not when we attacked, but when I agreed to talk. What madness have you gotten us into? I need to know now, before this other ship gets any closer."

He pauses for a second or two, as if he had just remembered something. "Did you want me to call off my crew? If your fellow Immaculates are as scary as you appear to be, then we might as well let them play a bit longer--I'm sure it'll be a fun warmup for whatever that cloaked monstrosity is that's coming."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The captain's eyes widen. Anathema? Like, proper ones? I never knew the seas could be so crowded...

But after a second they narrow again. "You got a tip? Great, just great. And who, may I ask, gave you that tip? I'm trying to figure out if there is just even chances that Big Sunny knows about this, or whether he planted the idea himself. Now if you'll excuse me, I believe my crew would like to know some things."

Watcher strides confidently over to what appears to be the windpipe of some sort of giant, reassuring the Fire aspect that he is not trying any 'funny business'. He takes in a deep breath, then shouts into the fell contraption, which makes his voice reverberate for miles around. "This was a nice aperitif, but there are bigger ships to scour! A galleon full of Anathema and Shogunate weapons is coming up; seems like it'd make sense to resolve any creative differences after that's all squared away."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The Abyssal gives out an offended snort. "Because all of us are under the thumb of Long John Silver over there, aren't we? In the meantime, sounds like you have plenty of your own problems to deal with, including your own captain. So working off the assumption that Sister Cynis has betrayed you, leading you all out here to be mindraped by Anathema, I suppose we can help you--we can talk price later."

His face breaks out into a dark smile. "What were we doing attacking you? One: we're pirates. That's what we do. Two: we're looking for information about Brother Cleansing Tide over on Petraya, and capturing a few of you seemed the best way to get that information. Three: my engineer said he needed a lot of jade for some ship upgrades and, well..." Watcher's eyes drop to the red jade armor she is wearing.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

"Aww, you hate us. We must be doing something ri--"

A deafening crack slams into them, disorienting Watcher for a second. Soon enough, though, he is all spit and bile, shouting over the sudden storm.

"Oh for gently caress's sake! We are attempting NEGOTIATIONS here! WAS I NOT LOUD ENOUGH THE FIRST TIME?"

He looks up expectantly, as if he could will the thunderbird to heel--until he sees the second lightning bolt build up. There can only be one will directing this madhouse.

"Do you even THINK before you start shooting?" And to the Sister beside him, "I would say excuse the madwoman over there, but I don't think you'd accept that. I notice you have a certain fearless quality about you, especially when being launched from artillery--want a swing at her?"

He chuckles darkly. "You've succeeded here; our goals coincide for at least the next hour. Heshiesh fought and blazed out in one battle--you have already saved your comrades once, probably twice; why not go on for a threesome?" He successfully suppresses a laugh. "Besides, I know you want the chance to actually swing those blades..."

Watcher scratches his neck absentmindedly, then snaps his fingers. "Oh, almost forgot. Jojo--" He gives a sheepish grin and shrug to the Immaculate, "Kindly un-bilge us and bring us up against the other ship." The captain strikes a commanding pose as the ship lifts up, zombies crawling up from every direction back onto deck, and the monkey skillfully spins the wheel at the helm, bringing them abreast their almost-prey.

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 26, 2012

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

<Yeah; tell her I sent her a pretty little package.>

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The captain smiles as he watches the Fire aspect hurtle through the air at Wyrm. Good times. He strides across the deck, jumping slightly to reach the Immaculate boat. Beckoning his engineer to follow, he walks over to where Xúlan's head is still trying to come back together. "We need to question her--or should I say it? So we need at least enough together to speak."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, Main Deck

The captain does not stay away when he learns that there is an ongoing infection; rather, he becomes a flurry of activity, grabbing samples, organizing his crew, and generally taking over the new ship. He pulls one of the remaining human crewmen aside and asks, "Do you have enough people still alive to properly crew the ship? Did you lose any of the pilots or other mates with needed sailing knowledge?" He looks all business, cutting directly to the heart of the matter: with the damage done by Essence artillery and exploding lightning ballistas, the vessel may be nearly dead in the water, with a Solar-led battleship approaching quickly.

Next, he sidles up to Butterfly. "Do you need another set of eyes for characterizing this mess? Some of my crewmates need this dealt with, so just say what you need. In the meantime, shall we explore the sealed off portion?" He glances at the infected. "Might as well have those already affected do it..."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, Main Deck

Watcher nods back to Sister Iselsi. "I understand that you wish to retain control of the ship--I won't begrudge you that. However, if you will let me direct things for the time being, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised by the results."

The old man jumps down to the lower decks, where Damnation has uncovered a labyrinth. "Let me take a look and see if we can find what lurks down here..."

For posterity, looking for monsters

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, Down in the Hold

No way I'm going in there to get that book. Watcher looks around, trying to find a solution. He smiles as he sees the Earth Aspect. "Brother Mnemon, if you could walk three paces towards the aft, seven paces to starboard, then smash the floor? While he's doing that, if everyone else could get ready for whatever might pop out?"

Watcher climbs back out of the hold; his job here was done. Time to make sure they didn't all die from a Solar-led battleship, now. He is a flurry of activity, ordering human crewmates on the Envoy and the Jewel to throw leads from one ship to the other, binding the two together. Others on the Revelation drag out a small skill--no more than a lifeboat, really--and carefully lower it to the water, one zombie on board. Watcher gives a small salute to the most likely short-lived captain of the tiny boat, checks that Brother Mnemon is not swinging at that moment, and concentrates.

Everything lurches into motion. Dark currents sweep the Revelation, the Envoy, and their new sister-ship forwards, a bit off-angle to Petraya but away from the meeting place. The small skiff moves not quite to intercept the Solar ship, moving off to a side to throw off any pursuit.

As a last service before sitting down to watch, the admiral directs a crewman to bring a few boathooks and several lengths of strong rope over to where the new hole was to be made, so the others could drag up anything interesting they find.

Admiral-ing it up and speedboosting everyone cuz I can do all that for 5m. Ain't life wonderful? Everyone else should do stuff and/or get ready for monster-wrassling.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The admiral nods slightly as the others haul up the safe, then walks slowly over to examine the thing more closely. "Good job not getting shanked by those spikes, by the way."

Lookin' at stuff

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

"Hello, Sister Sesus. We thought it would be best if you had the chance to open this safe--this will tell you why." Watcher hands her the journal solemnly, watching her reactions as she leafs through it.

When she finishes, he merely nods in recognition of it all. "As I had said, we thought you might like to do the honors yourself."

His voice grows louder, as he wants everyone around to hear this part: "Inside the box you will find two things: the body of Xúlan, probably murderous, and a strange device or focus, possibly biological in nature. This second thing is by far the more dangerous of the two--it channels immense power from an uknown source that sustains Xúlan's regeneration and hides her from the very sight of Saturn; in short, she is unkillable while it exists. In fact, robust attempts to kill her while it is active may cause serious problems when the natural order is perverted like this." He seems genuinely offended by the impertinence, despite his crew of the walking dead.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

It was somewhat frustrating, watching crewmates so proactive, so gung-ho about everything just half an hour ago with the initial boarding, become so passive when things slow down. Watcher sighs. "If something in the safe is trying to corrupt you, just stay away from the safe--to be extra-careful, you may want to be behind the thing so there is still a safe-wall between you and...whatever this is."

He looks up at the stars, noting their positions to determine how much time has elapsed. "It was good to let me know that was happening, but I'm not your mother--use your best judgement. Which, I suppose, may be compromised by this point. If you feel like you're not able to resist the urge to kill us all, I can have you chained up..."

Watcher gives a wry smile, but his eyes are hard--he was serious about that last. "We should take this to a lower deck, where nothing will broadcast our presence if there is a fight." As soon as he enters that lower deck, a massive fogbank springs up around the drifting spar, providing plenty of cover and distraction for them as the dark currents pull them away from the Solar's terrifying ship.

Mist a go-go.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The old captain laughs at the reaction he got. "See, now that's good initiative, worthy of any of my crew. Consider the offer to chain you up voided."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, The Jewel

After quickly glancing over and making sure that Damnation was well cared for, Watcher steps forwards to analyze the broken shards of what was once a device and a woman. With a slight moment of hesitation, he finds two of the larger pieces of the device and fits them together, looking closely at the Essence flows to see if any signals are being sent to the ship full of Solars.

Lookin' at a shattered giant ball

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 2, 2012

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

He just stands there, distracted, for most of a minute after Xúlan is put to her final rest. Almost mechanically, he intones "The danger is gone--for now." And then he walks quickly to his ship and holes up in the captain's cabin, furiously working with charts and maps to ascertain where the Solars could be going, frustrated by just how many islands are due South of their position. Suddenly, he gives a short bark. Of course. No need for a hurry. He scribbles a quick note that a zombie ferries over to Never's quarters and goes up on deck, noting that Damnation is conscious once more.

With a booming voice, he addresses the crew: "When I first met all of you, mere days ago, I never would have imagined the pride with which I am now standing here before you. I have seen some of you leap into battle without a thought of your own safety, but also remain able to stop and negotiate when it's more advantageous. You are a crew that realizes we are not mindless killing machines, but servants of a higher power." He smiles and points up to the Jolly Roger flying from the mainmast. "You've done well--and I'm glad Damnation took that last hit instead of me; you would probably still be trying to pick up all the pieces."

--------

Side by side with Ceaseless, the captain is covered in grease as Blood-on-the-Wind makes his offer. "Recommendation accepted; welcome aboard." He eyes the thunderbird with eyes that have seen too much, but that accept the fighting to come as simply a fact of life. "I'll make sure you get first crack at most everything."

--------

Several bodies are gathered in the Envoy's diplomatic lounge--it was agreed by all that the environs were most conducive to productive conversation. After the initial niceties, Watcher begins his full report. "The moment Xúlan was destroyed, a pulse of information was sent to the Solar's ship; it immediately changed course to the South. I presume Bolt can determine with more accuracy exactly where their ship is heading. Let us work off of the assumption, though, that the enemy is aware of everything Xúlan knew at the time of her death, both about the current situation and our various capabilities." He continued in a lower voice, "And there is a slight but real possibility that That-Which-Was-Xúlan has merely transferred hosts, as well. Not only that, but someone with extensive knowledge of necromancy created the abomination that was the amulet--I propose that someone here begin drafting a report to the Bureau of Heaven in case Sidereal attention is drawn this way; as much as I may have different intentions than the Fivescore Fellowship," He bares his teeth in a feral grin, "We are on the side of rightness and sanity with this, and we should have proper documentation to prove that."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

An envelope addressed in flowery script awaits the Admiral one day as he enters his rather sparse quarters. A tea party? For goodness' sake... Sighing, he scrawls off a serviceable RSVP and has Jojo scamper along to the other ship to deliver his reply.

----

Watcher works feverishly in his room, wracking his brain to find out ways that he would not get caught by such as Sister Sesus ever again. The whispers of the Labyrinth speak to him, dark visions of the Neverborn, and soon he is cackling like a madman and experimenting with potions that draw the eye away, they suck up so much light around them. Around midnight on the third day, a wailing keen arises from the entire frame of the Revelation as its least god, such as it is, dies a horrible death. Shadows seem to encroach menacingly, even in lamplight. As he gazes upon the destruction he has wreaked, he smiles. Yes, this would do nicely. In the morning he is out catching sharks with an oversized fishing rod, letting the ship's cook (as it were) take off the juicy bits as Watcher prepares the skeleton for life eternal--serving him.

Spending 24 XP on Unhallowed Ghost Ship, 1st Archery, and Heart of Darkness, 8 XP on Iron Reanimation, and 9XP on crazy-rear end reanimated critters (mostly skellysharks).

----

Wyrm was right--they needed to know what they would be facing when they were finally ready to face their opposition. Watcher began doing calculations on a piece of scrap paper (Jojo was *not* invited to the conference, despite his recent...enhancements) on just how much information could have been transmitted in that brief pules--whether an entire personality could have been transported or simply a short message.

Trying to answer that question.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

Seeing Ceaseless drinking himself silly with Damnation--instead of spending every waking hour working on the engines--gives the Admiral pause. Wasn't there something about him wanting to...oh! He wanted to eventually take charge of the ship! Mystery solved, Watcher shrugs and walks back to his cabin. He seems to be dealing with it well; no need to say anything. If he doesn't start up on the engines again tomorrow, though...

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 7, 2012

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

As Sister Iselsi rushes towards his fellow captain, Watcher runs through his options, preparing a spell to immobilize the temporarily insane or is it sane to try killing her? nun from the inside ou--

Well then.

He stands there, speechless, until Wyrm speaks again. "Thank you for getting...back on track. Containment is a high priority, but I believe the good Sister has a certain point--I believe that control has reverted to several 'alpha' plants with reduced capabilities; if actions can be taken to destroy even a few of these, the capabilities of our foes might be significantly curtailed."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, War Room

"That makes information-gathering even more important: no use going in with all guns blazing if we just end up causing a massive Fate paradox--and that's if we win."

------

Imminent Revelation of Oblivion, Main Deck

A small skeletal monkey laughs (silently, mostly--no vocal cords) at the newcomer. Good, that means I don't have to dignify this new madman with a response. Watcher merely turns around and beckons with his hand. "We don't stand so much on ceremony, over here. I call the shots, but you have an awful lot of leeway--I'd suggest listening to some stories from the others if you need some inspiration. Good crew we have; hope you'll make it better. Your cabin's down here--don't know if your dresser'll open to your anima, maybe Ceaseless can jigger with it or something. Welcome aboard."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

"You may find hidden depths to your minions if they stay here." Watcher smiles over at Jojo, who is currently brandishing a tiny cutlass.

'The main thing you need to know is about the infestation itself--Wait, you'll work your way with them?" He nearly doubles over, laughing at the prospect. "Oh, that would be fun to see. You should go find Damnation and tell him exactly what you told me."

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 11, 2012

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

Until now he has been watching quietly, waiting for the others to state what their plans are. When Damnation mentions that he wants to investigate the shadowland, the admiral tries to feign mild interest, but he puts a scarred hand up when Butterflies (the name is catching!) attempts to volunteer. "All things being equal, I believe there are a few reasons it might be better for me to go instead. One, we can split everything nicely by ship. Two, I really want to take some of our new toys out for a spin." His imagination runs wild, with scenes of giant skeletal sharks rampaging through defenseless villages. "Yes, it would be better for me to go."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The admiral cackles maniacally as he trudges on the shore, surrounded by shark cartilage. Sickeningly large footprints in the shape of fins collect small pools of water in his wake; naturally, he is a bit distracted. The other boat's scout disappears completely, which prompts an approving nod. He gives a sidelong glance at Damnation, who seems to be handling things well. Even better, it means I don't have to share my head. He gives a smile. This is going to be fun.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

An eyebrow shoots up as Damnation asks for the entire story. Watcher waves off and begins leading the shark-corpses into the dense jungle, calling back that Damnation could "Give me the summary later, or have our winged friend connect if there is some immediately useful information. Feel free to catch up whenever you finish--oh, and make sure to ask what he knows about the village and what he thinks the plant-people are looking for."

With no further ado, the squelching sounds of rotting shark-tails sinking into the sand are replaced with the wet slaps and snaps of dense foliage meeting unyielding skeletons.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

Half-heartedly listening to the cultist's monologue, Watcher continues slapping away undergrowth with his fins as he trudges through the jungle, trying to move at speed so they could beat the plant-men to whatever their destination was. He smiles as Butterfly leaps onto the thunderbird and urges his shark-covered legs to greater speeds so he could get to the strange circle as quickly as possible--stealth was not an issue with a sorcerer blasting his enemies from the sky. The captain focuses when he gets to the site, using all three pairs of eyes at his disposal to create a three-dimensional mental map of the area. If there's anything to be found here, we'll take it before the plants recover. And then we'll kill or subvert that shark-goddess. Yes, this is shaping up nicely.

Takin' a gander

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

"...Out. Everyone out. Everyone get out!" It takes several tries before the inchoate mumblings of an apparent madman finally are understandable as actual words meant for beings outside the old man's mind. "I need some time to think...why...why would they be going here? Do they know? Who does?"

He seems to shudder, all over, and finally comes closer to sanity, if a man wearing a pair of sharks could ever be called such. Even inside the necrotech monstrosity, he seems simply old and frail, like someone had punched him in the gut. He turns to Damnation. "We have a choice, and both carry terrible risk for ourselves, our crew, and all of Creation and beyond, possibly. We can protect this...area...and somehow assassinate our enemies without them knowing what killed them, possibly framing the War God. Or, we can cover our tracks as best we can and retreat to observe what the plants wanted to do in this place, hoping that none of them notice the path we have already made in our haste to arrive first. We would need to keep enough firepower on-hand to instantly kill the alpha if their purpose must be stopped. I admit, this is not my element. Can we even readily accomplish either feat?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

The admiral turns on Damnation, the first tinges of...fear? drowned out by indignation--it's not clear if this is intentional. "...I don't know! There are so many variables and unknowns and the stakes are so high that I need to think."

After several long seconds, where it seems like Watcher is being knocked around by an invisible hand from the force of whatever ideas he is grappling with, he finally comes to a decision. The tension leaves his body, as if once he has made this choice, all else follows. "We cannot allow them to reach the circle--any one. There is...information...here, which is our only hope of keeping this all from escalating. Though we might be able to gain more knowledge from there presence here, the risk is too great that their mere presence would degrade some of what we need--and then we would need to destroy them at a suspicious time and place. It reveals our hand too much--and that would be simply ruinous. I am sorry that I cannot speak more of this--it is not that I don't trust you."

Buying up a point of Whispers