Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'd like to be able to cook things for her she would enjoy
I mean, is she gonna pour her own hot sace over the stuff you'll cook her too? If so, she'll probably enjoy whatever you end up putting in front of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Illinois Smith posted:

I mean, is she gonna pour her own hot sace over the stuff you'll cook her too? If so, she'll probably enjoy whatever you end up putting in front of her.

And is a boor.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Hey Dino (and other helpful people in this thread). I'm a somewhat novice cook with very little experience in cooking anything other than average white-people food, usually based around a large hunk of meat. I recently have a new romantic interest who is a vegetarian and likes really spicy food. Like, this girl carries around her own hot sauce in her purse, orders things spicy and then dumps it on. I'd like to be able to cook things for her she would enjoy, but these are two categories that I unfortunately lack pretty much any experience in, so I bought your book (as well as a couple others that came with goon recommendations), and I was wondering if you might be able to suggest a few recipes (either from the book or just off the top of your head) that I might be able to make that fit the bill. If it helps any, she eats a ton of thai food. It would also be somewhat good if you knew any dishes that could be prepared in a way that I could split between really spicy and not-as-spicy, as I'm a total wuss compared to her (at least as far as heat level goes).

Then next time you make a thing, fry whole dried chile peppers in oil before you add onions and other aromatics. That way, you can leave them in the food, and she can eat them with her meal while you avoid them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Good to see you still around dino.
With fenugreek seeds, what do you do, ie do you toast and grind them, or put them in whole like the other seeds?
Just made channa dal (with hulled split black chickpeas ie channa dal) and a bunch of stuff. I chucked in about 10 fenugreek seeds. Wasn't pleasant biting into one.
I didn't have much food around, so cracked into my emergency supply with I built up ages ago
Cooked basmati rice (3 min in pressure cooker)
Cooked channa dal (4 min in pressure cooker)
Popped mustard seeds, cumin seeds, added asafoetida, whole dried chilli, curry leaves, urad dal, smashed coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, salt, pepper, turmeric, curry powder.
Fried onion and a grated carrot.
Added some frozen spinach and old left over frozen coconut milk I thawed. I threw some left over toasted sesame seeds in there too
Added channa dal to the pan to reheat.
Nuked rice to reheat, topped with the channa dal and served (unfortunately nothing fresh to garnish it with, like coriander leaves, cucs, dairy or whatever).

E: Very nutty. :D

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 25, 2015

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I rarely use more than 10 - 15 seeds of fenugreek at a time, so the occasional seed doesn't really bother me much. However, it would do fine if you were to cook the fenugreek seeds (a whole bunch of them) in a bit of oil, drain the oil, and use that to flavour things (in small quantities) if you sincerely dislike biting into one.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Thanks.
It was no big deal in the end. I just happened to get a whole seed in my mouth while cooking and tasting it and was a bit worried.
After it was plated for others, and also the leftovers I got to eat the next day it wasn't a problem anyway. It seemed to have melded in well and no one else ever detected a bitter seed when they ate.

Pretty funny actually, I have a 2.5 y/o boy, and he's a fussy eater. Seems to dislike meat, loves pasta and bread though. He stole a bowl of this channa dal off his mum and was digging into it. First time he was using a large spoon properly and getting it into his mouth to feed himself too. He was sipping water between spoonfuls though due to spice. It was quite a funny sight to see him chowing down on it.
This is a guy that will throw food or a plate right out you if it's not tasty, and he was crying when his mum wanted some of the channa dal back.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Fo3 posted:

Pretty funny actually, I have a 2.5 y/o boy, and he's a fussy eater. Seems to dislike meat, loves pasta and bread though. He stole a bowl of this channa dal off his mum and was digging into it. First time he was using a large spoon properly and getting it into his mouth to feed himself too. He was sipping water between spoonfuls though due to spice. It was quite a funny sight to see him chowing down on it.
This is a guy that will throw food or a plate right out you if it's not tasty, and he was crying when his mum wanted some of the channa dal back.

:kimchi:

If you're going to be stuck dealing with a kid who is a picky eater there are a hell of a lot worse things than curry to live with.

• Locked thread