Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So, not entirely appropriate as I think it may be more of a North Indian dish, but seeing as i can't find a general Indian thread...
I'm making keema matar (mince lamb & peas). Generally seem to have a good recipe down, but I was wondering if people have any particular preference of onions or shallots in these sorts of dishes? My ex's mum is from Kerala and an amazing cook, advised me to use shallots over onions but I'm not sure which dish she was referring to exactly.
The rest of the ingredients (in the order they're added) are standard

Cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods, bay leaf
Green Chillies
Onions/shallots
Ginger, garlic
Lamb mince, turmeric, Chilli powder, coriander, cumin, garam masala, salt
Chopped tomatoes
Yogurt & water (if needed)

Peas
Garnish w chopped coriander

Thoughts?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Here's a good aloo mattar recipe: shameless self-promotion

Don't suppose you ever cook a keema aloo mattar (or just a keema mattar)? I've been on a long quest to make one that tastes as good as my ex's mum (from Kerala) used to do, still not quite there yet.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^that thread is awesome dino, though gently caress knows I can't ever see myself having the time to do it! Did you ever post your recipe for the potato masala? Used to have that for breakfast all the time at the ex's place, lots of green chillies in it though :D At one point we were having it with fried bread (soft white rolls), it was incredible.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'll confess I rarely use meat. I find vegetables cheaper and tastier. I don't think I've cooked a single keema dish, actually.

This seems like a good, authentic recipe, though: Niru's Kitchen. Adding aloo is fairly simple: add skinned, cubed, and rinsed potatoes a minute or two after you add the onions (just after they turn a little glossy and start to sweat) then proceed as written.

If you're still on speaking terms with your ex, you might want to ask her if she can get the general idea of the recipe (which spices to use, for instance). A lot of times people will find a certain flavor blend that works really well for them, and it can be difficult to guess what it is. I'm guessing black cardamom is the missing taste, but you might've tried that already.

Thanks man, I'll give that a go! Yes, I've only been using green cardamoms so far. The whole cumin and coriander seeds in that are new to me as well.

Do you folks use frozen garlic/ginger paste, or pastes out of a jar? I'm kind of edging towards going back to using fresh garlic/ginger and chopping them - it's not as much of a pain as I remember and it seems like the taste benefits would be worth it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

dino. posted:

The potato masala is a damned fine recipe, and one that you can make your own, depending on how you like it.

You hero. Going out to get Hing, urad daal and cumin seeds right now :3:

Hmm, not a terrible first attempt (sorry for awful tupperware pic):

Overall came out a bit bland though except for some clumps of the ginger which wouldn't go away. The urad dal wouldn't turn light brown as you said it should - it just stayed black (as you can see in the image) and I think I spent too much time waiting for it to do something! I'll give it another crack over the weekend when I've eaten up this batch :)

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 25, 2014

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

dino. posted:

Wait, you had black urad daal? I've never seen that. :O I've only seen the white one, that's been hulled. Please GOD tell me you didn't buy the whole one with the shell still on? That stuff is terrible and I've got no clue what the hell to do with it. :(

If you needed more flavour, bump up the spices to your needs.

Well. That would explain it :facepalm:
I'll let you know how I get on when using the proper ingredients!

• Locked thread