Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

I am a grown-rear end man and my mother will still offer to mix my rice whenever I visit. And I'm like "Aw Mom, geez :rolleyes: yes please"

Has anyone linked VahChef's channel yet? Sanjay does mostly Indian food, with a little bit of other stuff thrown in. Dude gets stoked when he's talking about the food too, it's great.

I am in so much love with Vahchef (not romantically might I add). He's got a great sense of humour and his food is always tip top. I liked his toddy chicken video purely for entertainment value. I like watching the late Tarla Dalal's videos too, has anyone seen them? She is so adorable for some reason.

I cook a lot of Indian food, but I make it a requirement that it's recipes from India and not Anglican versions. Usually when I see things such as curry powder and tinned pineapple listed I instantly switched off. While I do like Anglo-Indian it's a totally different food genre and often has more Pakistani and Middle Eastern influence anyway. I'm more used to North Indian food but I want to branch out, southern food is so refreshing and coconutty!

Dino, do you have any recipes that are festive for the pongal festival? I would like to make ven pongal, but I'm not sure how well recieved it would be with some of my family. So do you have any other foods you typically eat to celebrate pongal?
I like to make foods during festivals, I recently made palak gosht using beef last Eid. (Pakistani recipe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010
I've read some nice recipes this last week or so for sweet pongal, I love rice puddings.
I did make savoury ven pongal in the end, and everyone ate it! Including my fussy family members. It was really yummy and stodgy without being too filling. I had dhal and vegetable ghotsu on the side, I put potato, aubergine, green beans and carrots in. Unfortunately I forgot to get tomatoes so I had to use some diulted tomato paste.
The whole meal was lovely and spicy, I like the level of spice that makes my nose run.
My pongal and ghotsu:

I omitted cashews to lower the fat content, but when I have a treat day I shall certainly try some sweet pongal!

Edit: these are the recipes I used.
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/2011/09/venpongal-rice-and-dal-flavoured-with.html
http://lathasartofcooking.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/famous-kumbakonam-vegghosthu.html

Blowfeesh fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 14, 2014

Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010

dino. posted:

Yours looks more runny than mine. Once I get to the store and get some ginger, I shall add more liquid, and boil the whole thing down further, so that it mushes a bit more and tastes more creamy. What recipe do you use for your gotsu? It looks more pickle-like than the type I've seen usually.

I've just edited my post with the recipe links. The little blob is pickle from a jar, I thought it tasted horrible.
I probably put too much ghotsu on the plate compared to what I 've seen on Indian thalis or banana leaves. There is usually a pile of starch with only small veggie portions.

Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010
To be fair I've seen those sorts of saucy curries made in all different textures, I guess it's about personal taste.
I made my gotsu thicker than the picture because I prefer thick gravies personally.
Happy pongal to you too! (I hope you don't mind a western atheist stealing your festivals!)

Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010
Just had leftovers reheated. pongal is even nicer the next day! It thickened up and now has the texture of a dense pudding or cake. I shall certainly make some sweet pongal and let it get chilled in the fridge and cut it into slices like a cake and it eat cold. Yum.

• Locked thread