Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Love the thread, bookmarking it.

Here's a question, is Aloo Gobi northern or southern Indian? The missus and I love making that particular curry, since it can me a main or a side.

Edit: Oh, guess it's northern, seeing as how it's Pakistani/Nepali as well.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

slothzilla posted:

First of all, thanks for the thread. It has been an interesting read.

I just started getting into Indian cooking and I'm feeling a little hampered by my lack of a food processor.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one?

Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart.

I have a kitchen aid, and it's excellent for making a decent curry paste. I've been using the pastes from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution [yeah yeah, I know, not authentic, but drat if it isn't better than anything I've had in North America]. Not sure what model, but it wasn't expensive, less than $150. I've heard that the Cuisinart ones, for a home user, are pretty much as good.

That having been said, the one I use is actually too large for one thing, grinding the toasted spices. Yeah, I could go with a mortar, but I'd honestly like to avoid having something large and heavy hanging around in my kitchen, I've got enough crap there.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

for sale posted:

Quick question, really entry-level, but how do you usually work with fresh coconut? I don't cook with it often and I attacked this one armed with a cleaver, a cheap steak knife, a spoon, and a cheap mandoline and boy do I never want to do that again.

I'd used a food processor if I had one, after hearing how hard it was for you do do it. After watching Hell's Kitchen and seeing what a mandolin can do to fingers, ugh.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think it's more of a northern dish, but I'm going to be doing aloo gobi today. I think I've got all I need for it, I better get a list together.

• Locked thread