Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anathematica
Nov 2, 2011

dino. posted:

Totally Northern dish, but pretty straightforward.

wowow .. This is from a long time ago, but I've never had any "north indian" gobi aloo like that! Try frying some asafoetida, cumin seeds, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric, and 3x as much coriander powder as each of those, in a couple tbsp of oil or ghee (in my family, we wouldn't use more than a few tbsp in daily cooking -- only for guests/special occasions). Then dump in your potatoes, cauliflower, and peas/carrots whatever you want, pour on some water and cover the pan to help it cook, uncover it after a while so it doesn't turn to mush and .. that's basically it, eat with roti/naan/rice it's good and so easy!

I've never seen anyone toss garam masala on top of cooked food nor can I understand why you would want tomatoes in there ;)

Edit: You can do basically this exact thing with just potatoes, cabbage+potatoes+peas, okra, different kinds of green beans/greens/unidentifiable veg from the indian store .. although of course there are many other ways to cook them too! And you can add onion and garlic to the oil at the beginning if you like it

anathematica fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anathematica
Nov 2, 2011
That sounds like it would be really good! I think you'd end up with a different texture though? The version that I posted isn't soupy at all, but the potatoes and cauliflower are perfectly tender & don't have a fried 'crust' to them (slightly firmer than the potatoes you get inside a dosa). When my mum is in a big hurry, she'll sometimes boil the potatoes first and just toss them in near the end to get soaked in ghee and spices. But it shouldn't be cooked till it's falling apart, for sure.

dino did you ever post a recipe for bisibelebhath? is it just like .. sambar and rice cooked together, it seems like it, but tastes way more magical with curd rice .. or is that because the only rice we have is basmati, which goes better with sambar when its cooked mushier than we normally make it? (The first few times I had south indian food (at like 4-6 years old) I practically gagged on the rice .. didn't know it could be mushy like that!)

• Locked thread