Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

dino. posted:

Unfortunately, you have to do the smashing procedure when the rice is screaming hot. A mother will have the hands capable of making that happen, so she'll smash up the piping hot rice, and mix it with the piping hot daal, and then give it to her kids. There's all kinds of other little things that a child that's raised in an Indian household learns, which you wouldn't see if you weren't raised that way, making it preferable for foreigners to just use a spoon.
I am a grown-rear end man and my mother will still offer to mix my rice whenever I visit. And I'm like "Aw Mom, geez :rolleyes: yes please"

Has anyone linked VahChef's channel yet? Sanjay does mostly Indian food, with a little bit of other stuff thrown in. Dude gets stoked when he's talking about the food too, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd like to dig this thread out of the ditch to ask for some tips on making real thin dosa. I'm using a food processing to grind up lentils and rice, and I think it is too coarse/grainy. I think some of the chunks end up being too thick for the kind of dosas I've been having at restaurants that have a South Indian specialty. When I make them, they're more like potato pancakes. I kind of want to be able to lay out a full layer of batter on a griddle and roll up this giant, thin fatty of dosa.
How thin, like paper dosa thin? If you wanna get paper dosa thinness, you gotta let the batter cook for a bit, then scrape off the half-cooked batter off the top, leaving a thin sheet of deliciously crispy batter. Yeah it's wasteful, but that crunch tho...

Let mah boy vahchef show you some science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-YNd_4N04

• Locked thread