Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That post just confirms that my and my wife's favorite Indian places are, in the whole, North Indian. We love rice with toasted cumin seeds so goddamn much and the individual dishes are so good alone.

It's very good to know, though! Incredibly informative post, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You're really, really making me want to try this pongal stuff. ;)

Do restaurants ever serve it, do you think? Like, ye Indian restaurant in the US, say.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Peasant food is the best food, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dino. posted:

Oh I'm in 100% agreement. It's just that when you try to order proper comfort/peasant food at a restaurant, it doesn't always hit the right note. My mum attended an event catered by a fairly decent South Indian resto down here. She said their pongal was borderline soup, because it was too watery. Also, it was bland. In India, you'll frequently get pongal that's drowning in ghee. I mean, I get it, because you're making it really worth the small fortune you're charging, but that's not really what pongal is supposed to taste like. For me, home made is best in this case.

Makes sense. My wife tends to hate comfort food from even an authentic chinese restaurant, for this same reason. But damned if she can't make amazing homecooked stuff.

Pongal, though. I'll have to make some sometime, then.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Find ye an Indian grocery. Sadly, I have no other advice, because we get literally all our spices in gigantic bags there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That is an amazing post, dino. Describing very basic methods and then "in order to change it up, do one of these three things if you want". Super neat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hey dino. We were just in NYC and went to Malai Marke in the east village. Ever been there? It felt extremely southern, with mustard seeds in the lemon rice and such.

Delicious food, just wondering about your thoughts. If my recollection of you being in NYC is correct, of course. :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dino. posted:

Hey goose. Haven't been but will check it out when I'm in town next. :]

Cool cool. We were recommended there by an awesome bartender and when we got there, I saw lemon rice with mustard seeds prominently in the rice section, and basically knew right then that it was the sort of stuff you've been showcasing here. Got, um, some paneer-in-chili app, a shrimp-in-tomatoey-spicy dish, and a saucy chicken curry. None of which seemed to have real names, one was even something like "Aunt Something's Spicy Shrimp" or whatever. But it was all delicious, and the lemon rice was divine and made me realize that I still don't have any mustard seeds, shameful goose.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

quote:

I wish I could see a whole one in real life sometime instead of already cut up in tins.

If you go to a good asian grocery, and I mean giant supermarket but is extremely Chinese (or maybe Korean), they might have whole jackfruit. Kam Man, in the Boston area, has em, and holy poo poo are they gigantic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dino. posted:

If you've got a recipe for that poo poo, share it, because I'm not about to make a North Indian thread, because their stuff isn't food.

Harsh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Waltham. They're in Waltham.

• Locked thread