Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Endless Ocean is a diving simulation game series by Japanese developer Arika, exclusively on the Nintendo Wii. The sequel to Arika’s PS2 Everblue series, the Endless Ocean games are notable for their emphasis on atmosphere and relaxing to the max. They are one of the few games that I feel “gets” the experience of scuba diving, the fun of exploring and looking at animals in an aquatic environment. They are easily my favorite games on the Wii; they tickle the diving itch just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmO4V8bXwU&hd=1

Endless Ocean: Blue World, known in Europe as Endless Ocean 2: Adventures in the Deep and in Japan as Forever Blue: Call of the Ocean is the second game in the Endless Ocean series. The original game was a surprising hit for Arika; despite being rather niche, it found enough of an audience overseas that they were able to make a sequel that took advantage of the systems they had established for the first game.

See, the original Endless Ocean was kind of rushed out of the door. Arika tacked on the plot at essentially the last minute, and they didn’t have nearly enough time or money to polish it as much as they wanted. So when Endless Ocean did well, Arika decided to kick everything up a notch. Endless Ocean: Blue World is better in pretty much every way: It’s one of the most graphically intensive and good looking games on the Wii. It has an actual fully-formed plot. The cast is fun and likeable. There is more actual game play. And it’s muuuuuuch bigger. SO MANY FISH.

I am going to be playing through Blue World, showing off the game while also using it as a springboard to talk about scuba diving, marine sciences and biology, as well as other scientific and historical information. My friends and I previously played through the original, and we hope to continue to help you learn things you never knew about our wonderful blue world.

ASIDES

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST. I recommend watching on our site though, the quality is much better. Also: stupid drawings.

You can find more of our old Let's Plays on the An Orbital Grouse website, kisamayatsu.com. Our previous VLPs were:

Let's Play Endless Ocean
Let's Play Man vs. Wild

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

In order to keep this thread relatively on topic, there are a few guidelines I'd like you to please consider!
  1. Do not talk about animals or science not touched on in-video or by commentators in thread yet. Focusing discussion keeps things more on-topic, and it allows us to have more free-reign in how we :words: about things. Once I've touched (on) a subject, you can then talk about it to your heart’s content. Also: if you're like some kind of expert in related fields, just go hog wild if something interesting happens. This rule is pretty loose.

2. Please do not post spoilers, be it the fish encountered, destinations, or plot. A lot of the greatness of the game is it catching you by surprise with its excellent visuals and settings, so please don’t ruin it for everyone!

3. If you have first hand knowledge about scuba diving, marine life, or whatever, you have permission to go Hog Wild here. Share your stories, thoughts, experiences, pictures, or whatever! You have full permission to ramble about diving.

If you want to support Arika producing more chill the gently caress out games like this, consider buying a copy and playing along at home.

If we've managed to inspire you to finally enter the wild world of scuba diving, consider looking for a PADI shop in your area and look into receiving diving instruction. It’s a great live-long hobby. There's a diving Ask/Tell thread you may want to check out as well.

You don't have to have watched the original Endless Ocean LP to follow this one; this game is completely standalone plot-wise. However, it does have some really neat things, including a lot of facts from us, so it's worth checking out! I did make a playlist of just the segments from the previous game, if you just want raw fish :words:

And yes, there will be more aside videos, including ones featuring everyone's favorite avatar of the elements.

While I will be sometimes be swimming solo, I will often be joined by a few dive buddies from An Orbital Grouse. They will often be contributing segments as well! From left to right...

Zorak, physicist and the guy running this shindig, he likes too many sciences and enjoys telling people about them. He has a thing for Japanese animation that we pray is never mentioned in this thread. Has dived quite a lot of hours and has a PADI license to boot! His favorite fish is the KING OF HERRINGS. FILE AUDIO

Chorocojo, LP superstar, professional aquatic guy, and he who knows more obscure trivia than pretty much anyone else. Often referred to as "Red". He draws the cool images you see and contributes all the binomial name translations. He languishes over the fact that he has a TV Tropes page. Is looking at getting into scuba diving and getting his license. His favorite fish (at the moment) is the Atlantic Tarpon. FILE AUDIO

HulkaMatt, intercontinental heavy weight LP champion, forum babyface, and foremost expert on both combat and non-combat hugs. His signature move is the BAKKDROPPU DRIVVAAA. Has a driving license for a car, which he thinks is “pretty much the same thing”. He has stated under duress that his favorite fish is the Lake Biwa Giant Catfish. FILE AUDIO

TyrsHTML, also referred to as "Tyrs", Rome historian and quite possibly The Omega Nerd. He knows more about the Roman Empire than you do, and may very well be a wizard. Has no diving license, given that he is in Iowa, which has no bodies of water whatsoever. His favorite fish is the Coelacanth. FILE AUDIO

GUESTS

Geop, LP's Geologist Darling. Geop knows a ton of poo poo about rocks, ancient history, rocks, rocks, and making very good effortful LPs. His favorite fish is the Moray Eel!

Hazo, professional fish researcher. Hazo does a lot of neat marine research in the Atlantic, and is an occasional contributor to the ongoing effort to understand weird as hell scientific names. His favorite fish is the Giant Freshwater Stingray!

AND DON'T FORGET OUR GOOD FRIENDS, THE STARS THEMSELVES

Zorak fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 25, 2015

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
And also I'm here!

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I look forward for fish-talking and history telling!

guno
Nov 27, 2007
Finally. I've been waiting for more fish facts. Glad its here

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I've been waiting for this LP! I love this game, it's SO relaxing to play.

Also loved the LP of the previous game, but this game is just so much more, and it's so much better.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Its back!

Gonna get all the fish facts up in here

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
gently caress yes I am ready to be fish learned and provide lovely fish doodles!

Fish!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still catching up on the first Endless Ocean LP, but I'm looking forward to watching this and more of that show Commando Planetoid.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
Chill as gently caress. This is bound to be entertaining, educational, and relaxing.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I really enjoyed Blue World alot more then the original. Probably because of all the crazy critters that aren't real.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

What is the knife on Oceana's leg used for?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I've been waiting for this. I love you Zorak.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Looking forward to learning about some educational fish facts!

I've entertained some thoughts of becoming a marine biologist in the past, but unfortunately I'm not too good at the multiple sciences. :shobon:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

catdynamite posted:

What is the knife on Oceana's leg used for?

It's a dive knife. It's standard equipment for divers. Getting tangled in line or the dreaded kelp can be a decidedly bad thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chorocojo posted:

It's a dive knife. It's standard equipment for divers. Getting tangled in line or the dreaded kelp can be a decidedly bad thing.

Yup. I wear one when diving. Typically they lack a point since there's usually very little need for stabbing while underwater, believe it or not.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

Chorocojo posted:

the dreaded kelp

sargassum, the weed of deceit

Epaulette sharks, though, cool dudes. Saw a whole smack of them in an aquarium in my trip to America earlier this year

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010
I have been waiting this as your let's play of the first game is one of my favorite let's play ever. I can't wait to chill and learn with you guys.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Yup. I wear one when diving. Typically they lack a point since there's usually very little need for stabbing while underwater, believe it or not.

What if the creature of the black lagoon comes after you? How are you going to defend yourself?

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
Yay! Been looking forward to this since I saw your LP of the first one.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Hell yeah let's touch the poo poo outta some fishies

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

TheModernAmerican posted:

Hell yeah let's touch the poo poo outta some fishies

http://youtu.be/vcezLXUifvk?t=7s

As cat would say "I'm gonna eat you little fishy!"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

:parrot: :toot: :parrot:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
gently caress yea! I'm ready to be educated.

I really need to go diving again some day. My only experience was this cheap little company while vacationing in Spain.
The van they took us in was so crappy we ended up having to walk in scuba gear for about 2 kilometers before finally reaching the water. poo poo's heavy above water! The diving itself was pretty chill though. It's really something everyone should try at least once.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Awwww yeah, I missed the LP of the last one so I'm looking forward to this. :dance:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Hooray!
I've been waiting for this one ever since Man Versus Wild ended.
Fish touching! :3:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

So in the 1st minute of the game, a diver swims through an overhead environment with his air gauge and spare reg just dangling to his side?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

935 posted:

So in the 1st minute of the game, a diver swims through an overhead environment with his air gauge and spare reg just dangling to his side?

No kelp, so he was clearly never in any danger.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The fish-poking finger is so floppy I can't help but love it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

More Blue Ocean? Awesome. Looking forward to this thread.

No Real Pattern
Mar 17, 2006

Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Pretty much the only way this game could be better is if you could still touch the fish. When I realized I no longer had to poke the fish to befriend them I was seriously disappointed for a second, not gonna lie. Still though, this game is awesome and I wish there were more like it.

Red Rover
Feb 13, 2012

The Cuddliest
Lord of the Dead
At long last the most relaxing and educational LP is back! I'm looking forward to fish facts and star facts galore. And the inevitable eco-shenanigans, of course.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watching the Endless Ocean 1 LP video called "Van Halswim" that talks about endanger species. Near the end they talk about the last of his kind turtle. Forgot he died since that video and now I'm sad. :smith:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Blue Tang Clan ain't nothin' to gently caress wit!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Joining the chorus of people looking forward for this.

Your LP of the first one got me interested in going diving which, having hydrophobia for most of my adult life, is really saying something. Can't wait to watch!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Looking forward to this as a diver, and as someone who loves science. I'll see if I can't give a couple write ups as well, my father is a marine biologist, and I've managed to pick up on a little bit of his knowledge growing up through the years.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I hope Skippy is back with an all new ATTITUDE!

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I just know this gone be good. Was a fan of the first LP and it actually got me interested in sealife.

LordJiro
Mar 27, 2010
The first LP kicked much rear end. And more fishlearnin' is always welcome!

Plus, I loved the hell out of this game even before the first LP. Always awesome to see it get more exposure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
gently caress yeeaah! Let's touch the hell out of those fishes in the chillest way possible! I loved playing this game, I'm sure I'll love the LP too.

• Locked thread