Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Hymirvetr posted:

Could Captain Planet defeat Sea Dracula?

This assumes that Draculas don't have a place in the world's ecosystems, which is of course ridiculous. Sea Dracula is as much a Dracula as any other and plays his role in the environment, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Toussaint Louverture posted:

It doesn't happen in Bonnetheads. My camp was longlining* and tagging Bonnetheads and one died on the line. It was full of eight perfectly formed babies maybe days away from birth. :smith:

*We had a permit, it only died because the hook somehow got into its gills.
From a while back, but: Good for you! I hope you had a good time. Bonnetheads are prolific livebearers and are not uncommonly found with young inside, especially during the summer. I even keep one in the corner of my desk.

Their reproduction is pretty interesting too-- they're one of three shark species recorded to have given "virgin birth" in captivity without the involvement of males.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

We meet more of our compatriots and buy a hammock.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Jesus Christ Jean-Eric you have four sandwiches set out JUST EAT ONE.

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 30, 2012

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Videos without nature videos give me blue balls Zorak. Just letting you know.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Videos without nature videos give me blue balls Zorak. Just letting you know.
I was disappointed we didn't get the history of the hammock. :colbert:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Red Chocorojo posted:

SURPRISING REVELATION!

Oh no! Not Castle Valkenstein! Oh, wait, I'm getting confused...

...but seriously, Nancy is a bit of a douche, I do hope we get actual discounts, instead of plot discounts in future. Also, looking forward to more dolphin touching and leaping, aww yeah!

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Common Dolphins are so awesome. I absolutely love their color scheme. Why don't we see them more often in media and such! They're the COMMON Dolphin!:argh:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Man we only touched a lousy mammal?? Weak. I can do that at home.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, I'm really tempted to find a used copy of this. Game looks so good compared to the original.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Man I want a gate that emits WiFi. :(
And yeah, gonna Nth Nancy being kind of a douche. Wow, what the hell, lady?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
This episode exists because Zorak thought the second one would be too long with this. He's not entirely wrong. The next episode has a lot more fish, including a bunch we've never seen before!

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Cutesy Southern girl who works in the ocean? Can't unhear her voice as Sandy.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

In my mind it's a very faked accent and she's actually German.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The last Endless Ocean LP was fantastic, so I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

...and Oceana's design looks a bit familiar, doesn't it?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chorocojo posted:

This episode exists because Zorak thought the second one would be too long with this. He's not entirely wrong. The next episode has a lot more fish, including a bunch we've never seen before!

Also, keeping the updates a bit punchier this time allows us to better pace episodes, keep the turn around quicker, and make things overall much better.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Also, keeping the updates a bit punchier this time allows us to better pace episodes, keep the turn around quicker, and make things overall much better.

You know what would be perfect? If you kept every video around 50 minutes, made about eight episodes, showed exclusively real footage made with the best modern technology and maybe got someone like George Fenton to compose the music and David Attenborough to narrate.

:v:

Cerony posted:

Common Dolphins are so awesome. I absolutely love their color scheme. Why don't we see them more often in media and such! They're the COMMON Dolphin!:argh:

I was always under the impression that their name was actually something of a misnomer and the bottlenose was actually more common. Sure as gently caress seems that way at least. I pretty much only have knowledge/experience with the Atlantic so that might color my perception though.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 30, 2012

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was always under the impression that their name was actually something of a misnomer and the bottlenose was actually more common. Sure as gently caress seems that way at least. I pretty much only have knowledge/experience with the Atlantic so that might color my perception though.
Best estimate, there are around 700,000 bottlenose dolphins hanging around worldwide. For commons, the number is around 2.5-3 million, mostly around the Pacific and eastern Atlantic. So if you're a west Atlantic guy like me you don't get to see a lot of common dolphins.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Yep. We also don't tend to use common dolphins as performers, etc. But it's the common dolphins that the Greeks, etc. painted in their murals.

Here's even the trivia entry on the Common Dolphin from the game:

[The true dolphin]
"When people think of dolphins, they usually think of the bottlenose dolphin. But, as its name suggests, the common dolphin is the real representative dolphin—the dolphin amongst dolphins."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What, your home base is called "Nineball Island" and not a single Cirno joke?

This thread is bakas!

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

What, your home base is called "Nineball Island" and not a single Cirno joke?

This thread is bakas!

No, see, we have self control and don't have to reference everything we enjoy in everything we do Dracula withstanding.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chorocojo posted:

No, see, we have self control and don't have to reference everything we enjoy in everything we do Dracula withstanding.

Yes. At the very least, we don't have to make them all at once, even if they're obvious to us. There is a thing called timing.

The fact that we went through the first episode without calling it Master Roshi's island is a wonder in and of itself, for example.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zorak posted:

Yes. At the very least, we don't have to make them all at once, even if they're obvious to us. There is a thing called timing.

The fact that we went through the first episode without calling it Master Roshi's island is a wonder in and of itself, for example.

You'd need more turtles to show up first for that one.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You'd need more turtles to show up first for that one.

Exactly. Like I said, timing. This is How Jokes Work.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Chorocojo posted:

In my mind it's a very faked accent and she's actually German.

Is it so hard to believe that someone would endeavor to get as far away from the South as physically possible?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Is it so hard to believe that someone would endeavor to get as far away from the South as physically possible?

As someone who has lived in the South for the past 20 years I will say maybe. :colbert:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

paragon1 posted:

Look, some of us down here work to protect the fauna so at least the rest of you can get seafood.

Although I have no excuses for Florida. You'll have to talk to Choro about that.

edit: Choro pls

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Hazo posted:

Look, some of us down here work to protect the fauna so at least the rest of you can get seafood.

Although I have no excuses for Florida. You'll have to talk to Choro about that.

I'm in Miami, Miami is like a weird bubble of what-the-christ. I'm also not here by my own volition. So anything I say about it does not apply to the South as a whole.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Do they ever explain in-game why this island is called Nineball or is that just left for the player to interpret on their own?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Pew! Pew! posted:

Do they ever explain in-game why this island is called Nineball or is that just left for the player to interpret on their own?

It's left as an interesting exercise for the reader.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pew! Pew! posted:

I have a huge problem with the notion that a 100-foot sand island could stabilize and support a permanent base in the middle of the ocean but VIDEO GAMES

Hazo fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 30, 2012

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was disappointed we didn't get the history of the hammock. :colbert:

I can give one if you really want, assuming our hosts aren't actually going to talk about it, themselves. I feel safe with Captain Planet topics, but I'd prefer to err on caution with game features.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pew! Pew! posted:

There's a giant red-and-black robot hidden beneath it. :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And it comes with its own relaxing diving music!
Well at least I think it's relaxing.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Pew! Pew! posted:

Aside from the giant text that explains why it is called Nineball Island or . . . ?

Zagglezig posted:

I can give one if you really want, assuming our hosts aren't actually going to talk about it, themselves. I feel safe with Captain Planet topics, but I'd prefer to err on caution with game features.

By all means, tell us the history of the hammock.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Almost every dolphin is prettier than the bottlenose. Except maybe all the humpback dolphin species. I always thought they were kind of ugly.

I personally love the Lagenorhynchus and Cephalorhynchus species best. And Orcinus, of course!

TheAdmiral
Mar 1, 2006
Internet, ho!
I think Nineball Island is able to support such a structure due to the powerful nexus of references that intersects beneath it, making it not only a sound foundation, but an irritatingly impervious one.

Red Rover
Feb 13, 2012

The Cuddliest
Lord of the Dead
Welp, as usual it turns out it was Sea Dracula all along. Curse you Sea Dracula, etc...

Looks like we might actually get that Captain Planet vs Sea Dracula Ultimate Showdown Extravaganza 2012 after all.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was waiting for that reference. I had forgotten nine ball was even a pool game.

Is southern girl driving back to her island on a Jetski all that safe? I mean I know it's a shallow sea, but I was under the impression you shouldn't take vehicles like that out of sight of land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
A hammock is a hanging bed, or seat, made of fabric, plants, rope, or similar material that is suspended from two anchor points. It is believed they were originally used to safely rest where animals, like scorpions, ants, and snakes, couldn't reach the people in them as easily, as well as to prevent catching fungal diseases from the frequently damp ground. The ropes that were tied around the trees were treated with poisonous sap to keep insects away.

Hammocks, as we know them, are generally believed to have been invented somewhere in the Americas around 1000 A.D. The earliest hammocks were made of tree bark from the Hamack tree and were later made of fibers from the sisal plant, which is still cultivated for fibers today. The precise origin of the hammock has long been a subject of debate. Some believe it originated with the Mayans and spread with trade routes, while others argue it was brought to the main continent by the island tribes, specifically those from Haiti, who are believed to be the ones that introduced hammocks to Christopher Columbus, and thus to Europe. Others, still, believe South Americans created them. The lack of records combined with the widespread use and great age of the hammock make pinpointing the first civilization to use it difficult, assuming it wasn't invented independently by several civilizations. Regardless, hammocks were extremely popular in the region and extensive trade routes allowed them to find homes and a variety of styles and indigenous materials from Mexico to Brazil.

As mentioned before, Columbus is said to have acquired some hammocks on his first voyage from the Taino people who lived in the Bahamas and the Greater and Lesser Antilles. The word hammock is actually supposed to originate from their word for fish net, hamaca, though, once again, there is debate about whether the word hammock originates with this term or with the Hamack tree. In the following years, Europeans introduced cotton and new fabrics, like canvas, to the native hammock makers and the hammock became one of the symbols of America.

In Europe, hammocks started being used as primary sleeping apparatuses in Spanish and English ships in the mid 1500s and their use in navies persisted well into the 20th century for their ability to save space, keep men from dying from falls or rolling around the decks, and they were more sanitary than piles of straw, which would rot and harbor pests. European hammocks were typically made of heavy canvas, which didn't ventilate well, and were smaller than traditional hammocks for ship quarters, earning them a reputation for being cramped and sweaty. Military use of hammocks continues today, especially for troops in damp wooded regions where the need to keep off the damp ground and away from insects is high.

As colonies began to flourish and new trade routes opened up, hammocks became a novelty trade good. They didn't become particularly popular until the late 19th century. This is attributed by some to retired sailors, accustomed to hammocks, having them at home to sleep in, which made hammocks synonymous with leisure. This created a demand and ultimately produced a commercial version of hammock that was wider and required less effort to balance in. They became such a status symbol, in fact, that women in hammocks became a popular theme for artists.

This sort of popularity through practical exposure continued through the 20th century, as wars exposed new generations to hammocks and the United States' exploration into the southern Americas, especially in the construction of the Panama Canal, necessitated the use of hammocks for the same purposes that popularized them with the original natives. Photographs of these men relaxing in exotic locations furthered the awareness of hammocks as well as its image as a leisure item.

The Great Depression brought back the idea of the cheap and practical use of hammocks as beds for the thousands of homeless in the Unites States, but after WWII the hammock once again became a symbol of leisure, as shown in the cartoons of the age, and has kept itself alive in both practical and luxury markets in all parts of the world, since. The Lunar Module even had hammocks set up for rest between moonwalks, so the hammock may continue to find use in a space age.

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 1, 2012

• Locked thread