Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I played FFXI so much the summer after it was released that I would only leave the desk to eat, poo poo, and (sometimes) fall asleep.

One night in the midst of a grind, I was playing approximately 36-40 hours into a single session running on only a three-hour nap from the previous day. There where these commands you could type in party chat that would play a sound, like a drumroll or a beep. My linkshell (guild) party members had to continuously play the high, shrill, gym teacher whistle noise to wake me -- the tank -- up as I continued to nod off during every single pause in the action. When they suggested that maybe we stop, I called them quitters.

I'm really, really glad to be rid of my MMO addiction.

Edit: I was also Vice President and later President of -- and organized both campaigns & LARPs for -- my high school's "Sci-Fi/Fantasy Club". Which, unknown to me at the time, was "Get High & Make Out in the Woods Club" for about half of its members.

ellbent fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
This thread keeps on giving; I remember more and more things about myself I wish I had forgotten.

When I was in middle school I internet roleplayed a Sailor Moon spinoff with another dude. In my defense, he introduced me to my first girlfriend.

My Steam friends come to me often with pressing questions about werewolves and vampires because I played Apocalypse and Masquerade obsessively through high school and college.

I open-hand struck another student early on in high school (we would be best friends for the next four years) for implying that EverQuest dark elves were "lame."

You never slap a man.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
The Star Wars Insider magazine used to come with this choose-your-own adventure game, completely with WAY COOL carrying case, a whole slew of books, glossy cards for all the characters and equipment, record sheets for keeping track of health and stats and stuff. Every story included about four new character cards, and they had colored borders to let you know what side they were on; Rebel, Empire, or independents. I think I had about twenty books before I unsubscribed, and at the beginning of each adventure they told you what side the adventure was for, and to pick a character from that side for the adventure.

Well, I didn't do that.

Boba Fett. Every story. Even if the story specified that you needed a Rebel who had Force powers.

... Boba ended up getting into a lot of lightsaber duels.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Umbilical Lotus posted:

I want all of these. I had a huge collection of choose-your-own-adventure books as a kid, and I cried when my mom threw that box out. I've been trying to regrow my collection in adulthood, but I've so far only managed a few Fighting Fantasies and D&D choose-your-owns. I might have to resort to ebay. I still log on to Infinite Story to this day to write spergy stories about dragons.

I went through a ~*pretty pixie fairy*~ phase as a teenager that absorbed every facet of my life. I found a pair of black and red fairy wings at Halloween when I was fourteen or so, and wore that poo poo everywhere. At least, until some more socially developed kid at school ripped them off my back and stomped on them. I was a teenage witch at the time as well; I figured that one day, the fairies would notice my wings and take me away with them to live forever in fairyland. I had a custom Well of Souls sprite that I made to look like me with those wings.

Okay, I was actually going insane for a while because I couldn't find any mention of what I was remembering. Star Wars Insider never had a game series, "star wars choose your own adventure" came up with nothing on Google, Wookieeopedia only had some books that came out in 2003 called Star Wars Adventures, and I didn't get any results for a search for the Darth Vader carrying case they came in. I was seriously going nuts. BUT. Finally found the fuckers. It was called Star Wars Missions.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Missions

It was a mail-order deal for a magazine called Star Wars Kids that you got through one of those school reading programs.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Totally TWISTED posted:

Oh super hot cheerleader chick has signed my senior yearbook and said how great I was and wrote her phone number? I'm sure she wouldn't want me to call her or anything :downs:

Oh boy, gotta remind me of that one. Me and this one girl had a pretty nice nerd friendship going for a couple years in high school. Even saw a movie together; it was Daredevil and her mom dropped us off, but still. I think it was senior year when her older sister who used to be in the same club we were both in came to school sometime when they were passing out yearbooks. She opened my book and wrote a phone number under the huge paragraph where her younger sister had talked about how much she liked spending time with me.

"Listen to me. Call my sister."

Welp. For whatever reason, I didn't. For years. :smith:

Later I'd find out she went through a few boyfriends before finding a keeper, because the first ones just plain couldn't handle how kinky she was.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
When I was in summer "camp" back in early elementary school (really just a large daycare), me and some other kids would play Power Rangers on the playground. There were enough participants so that all the rangers were represented, and a couple of the villains, but somebody had to be the Putty Patrol.

I was apparently so into character as the bumbling disposable minion that after taking a way-too-wide 'swing' at one of the meddling rangers I stumbled into the side of a plastic playhouse and hit it face-first with so much force that I busted open a huge gash next to my orbital socket and had to walk bawling and bloody-faced to the nearest supervisor through a crowd of kids frantically backing away as if facial injury was contagious.

It was a lot of stitches, and I still have the scar.

I still consider that probably my best roleplaying story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

thunderchief posted:

James Matador, yeah he's a PUA guy.

... Is his website 'Pick Up Artist Artist.com'?

• Locked thread